Options

Did Ticketmaster Screw NY Fans

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,117
    Clapper said:

This explains the minimum of 25,000 msg fans with a buying capacity of 100,000 tickets waiting on TM que 10 minutes before the onsale? That's more tickets than what was sold for the 4 non sellouts easily. 

PJ restricting ticket sales to all their shows, plus decisions to not look at their audience per capita when they plan their itinerary, has an immense impact on availability and prices 
    I mentioned this in a previous post but I would estimate that 30 million people live within comfortable driving distance of Baltimore, NYC, Toronto.  Even if only a million of those people are interested in the band, that's still a lot of people trying to snap up 60k tickets spread over three shows.  Its doesn't account for fans with spouse accounts who are trying to increase their odds, people trying for multiple shows,people willing to fly from further away and brokers. 

I think we are at a point in the band's career where audience per capita would barely be a consideration when choosing dates. They are going to sell out or close to at any city/venue they choose.  I think it comes down to interest of the band in any given city, ease of travel once the handful of cities have been chosen and how many shows they are willing to do at any given time. 

IF the band does a fall leg, I feel like it would at most be 15 shows (I personally think they will opt for a couple of fall ball park shows) which would put them at about 45 shows for the year which by recent standards is SUPER high.  These guys are in their 50's, have growing families,  this is semi-retirement for them.  They know a lot of fans will travel to get to a show nearest them if they have to.  I'm sure they wish every fan could come to every show but its not realistic and I would imagine they aren't spending much of their time worrying about it. 

Stop making me want to hop on a plane to Quebec. NOW!

I get it. I know its 15 max for the fall and they didnt really touch the south so at best it seems stadiums/ festivals are the even up for NY and N.east. Not fun.

Looking  at all the spring arenas elsewhere and how brutal tix were in the east and how we could be closing in on retirement....tick tock.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    I would say four of the msg shows were legendary and the other six were great however not any better than philly or hartford. etc
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,789
    pjl44 said:
    Zod said:
    Back to the original post I think NY screwed NY.   They have an anti-scalping law which limits profit to 10%, but at the same time they have laws where people are entitled to physical tickets.   People can buy/sell tickets without ever stepping foot into the state, make the 10% rule kind of pointless.

It's pretty night and day between the states whose laws permitted TM/PJ to restrict the tickets vs. the ones that didn't.

This explains the minimum of 25,000 msg fans with a buying capacity of 100,000 tickets waiting on TM que 10 minutes before the onsale? That's more tickets than what was sold for the 4 non sellouts easily. 

PJ restricting ticket sales to all their shows, plus decisions to not look at their audience per capita when they plan their itinerary, has an immense impact on availability and prices 
    I keep saying this, there has to be a good reason for this?

Festival upcoming?  More shows to be added?
    Or is it just scheduling conflicts with the basketball tournaments? If they're faced with one show or skipping it entirely do they just say one show it is?
    I don’t get why this is so hard to understand. I live in Brooklyn. I missed out on lottery and public sales. I will most likely end up paying out of my ass for msg. Why are some people acting like this was a fuck you to the northeast? The way I see it , it was a BONUS show. The scheduling simply doesn’t allow another show. I’d love 8 shows at msg. Would everyone  rather they just skip us all together? I don’t understand. 
  • Options
    By taking a hard line approach to scalping , a hard line approach  to ticket pricing, a hard line approach to transferability unlike any other band, and focusing shows evenly not necessarily where the concentration of fans are...has a dramatic impact on what could be the most expensive arena concert ever. Fans of other a list bands dont see lack of options like this.

It is what it is but it's also the result of chosen paths. But honestly good for the fans that have a grand to blow on the show.
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,868
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Zod said:
    Back to the original post I think NY screwed NY.   They have an anti-scalping law which limits profit to 10%, but at the same time they have laws where people are entitled to physical tickets.   People can buy/sell tickets without ever stepping foot into the state, make the 10% rule kind of pointless.

It's pretty night and day between the states whose laws permitted TM/PJ to restrict the tickets vs. the ones that didn't.

Or is it just scheduling conflicts with the basketball tournaments? If they're faced with one show or skipping it entirely do they just say one show it is?
    I don’t get why this is so hard to understand. I live in Brooklyn. I missed out on lottery and public sales. I will most likely end up paying out of my ass for msg. Why are some people acting like this was a fuck you to the northeast? The way I see it , it was a BONUS show. The scheduling simply doesn’t allow another show. I’d love 8 shows at msg. Would everyone  rather they just skip us all together? I don’t understand. 
    Some people just aren't happy unless they have something to be angry about. 
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    mpedone said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Zod said:

Rage Against The Machine is back. Anger is a gift.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 549
    Some of us have to travel 6+ hours at minimum to EVER see a pj show. The entitlement of some posters is painful. But,but,but we have more people. Who gives a shit. If you love this band and really want to see them then get off your ass and do it. But, I  can't afford to travel, then you miss the tour, oh well, been there.
    The idea that if they don't play in your backyard you got screwed is unbearable. 
    Please stop, please. 
    Oh and yes, no show anywhere is ever as good as msg, baaaah.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Zod said:

Right. If it comes down to it in the fall, I would rather they play 1 Boston show and I scrap to get in vs. saying "2+ or bust" and I have to talk myself out of Philly or some shit.
  • Options
    jimcsotjimcsot Western Massachusetts Posts: 39
    Every show, beyond just PJ, I’ve seen at MSG has been special. NYC has a vibe that is not replicated any where else and that energy is usually represented inside MSG. People saying it’s not any better than any other show is likely a bit spoiled and desensitized to how special a venue MSG is. That being said, PJ shows at Hartford and Worcester I’ve seen were also really good, especially Hartford, but for me MSG is special.  
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    mpedone said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Zod said:

You've met my wife? :lol:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    phaqewphaqew Posts: 18
    ive been in this club since 1996. its the first time ive ever been shut out of a show at msg. i dont buy multiple shows, and i dont ever flip the merch. I feel betrayed by the fanclub ive supported all these years. first taking the single away, now getting shut out of my hometown show. and seriously, one show in NY? 
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    We're so far in deep now I'm not sure if these posts are real or not
  • Options
    And I've been playing the Maine State Lottery for 24 years now.  Never once won.  Never felt so betrayed. 
  • Options
    wiscojamwiscojam Appleton Posts: 306
    phaqew said:
    ive been in this club since 1996. its the first time ive ever been shut out of a show at msg. i dont buy multiple shows, and i dont ever flip the merch. I feel betrayed by the fanclub ive supported all these years. first taking the single away, now getting shut out of my hometown show. and seriously, one show in NY? 

Member since '96. I'd just let my membership lapse if I were you. :)

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    And I've been playing the Maine State Lottery for 24 years now.  Never once won.  Never felt so betrayed. 
    Betrayed
    After 24 years you should have reached gutted status
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,373
    I do have a couple friends in the 10Club I've sat next to for the past 20 years because we have similar numbers and this 1 guy never freakin loses. He gets all his hometown shows, I don't get it. Since new system I've lost MSG more than I've won. I think some people have been very lucky in the past.
  • Options
    jimcsotjimcsot Western Massachusetts Posts: 39
    If you’ve only been shut out of one MSG show, I’d say that’s pretty freakin rad.
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    phaqew said:
    Are you gutted?
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    The number of shows on the Tour screwed New York. The short legs always send demand through the roof. 

"It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    The number of shows on the Tour screwed New York. The short legs always send demand through the roof. 

Yes. Hopefully in the fall they will do two shows in each of the Boston, NY and Philly markets like they have in the past, and just like on those tours we will all be able to easily obtain tickets, nobody will get pissed off about losing lotteries or striking out on Ticketmaster insta-sellouts, and there will be abundant good seats available for reasonable prices on the secondary market. 

Lotta Leonard Shelbys in this thread. 
  • Options
    wiscojam said:
    phaqew said:

Member since '96. I'd just let my membership lapse if I were you. :)

good thing i'm not you
  • Options
    RP112579 said:
    phaqew said:
    Are you gutted?
    lets reserve the word 'gutted' for use by the rest of the 13 year old girls and leave it at that. theyre a good band, theyre not my ex boyfriend.
  • Options
    phaqew said:
    Betrayed? I've been in the 10C a little longer and I lost out on both Fenway shows in 2016. The odds were tiny but possible to go 0-2 and I got the short straw. It happens. But I wound up with a pair on the field for both shows. Roll up your sleeves and get to work. You've got 2 months.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    phaqew said:
    Betrayed? I've been in the 10C a little longer and I lost out on both Fenway shows in 2016. The odds were tiny but possible to go 0-2 and I got the short straw. It happens. But I wound up with a pair on the field for both shows. Roll up your sleeves and get to work. You've got 2 months.
    Already did. I called in a favor with my friend at the Garden. I'll be sitting in a corporate box with booze, food, and bathrooms. FTW. Shit works out.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    phaqew said:

Will you be giving a seminar for those of us without the skill set?
  • Options
    lfitzpatrick9lfitzpatrick9 NJ Posts: 372
    phaqew said:
    pjl44 said:
    phaqew said:
    Already did. I called in a favor with my friend at the Garden. I'll be sitting in a corporate box with booze, food, and bathrooms. FTW. Shit works out.
    Damn man, thats awesome.  I struck out all three times this time around so looks like I will be waiting day of show at MSG hoping to snag two tickets like I did in 2016
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    phaqew said:

Will you be giving a seminar for those of us without the skill set?
    If I was replying to someone earnestly asking? Yes.

If I was replying to someone who would respond with 6 complainy paragraphs arguing with each of my tips? No.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,767
    I've decided I am not happy with the lottery from 2016 and also now that I know the setlists and have listened to the boots I would like the Tenclub to build me the time machine I am owed so that I can go to whatever show I want.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    PB11041 said:
    I've decided I am not happy with the lottery from 2016 and also now that I know the setlists and have listened to the boots I would like the Tenclub to build me the time machine I am owed so that I can go to whatever show I want.
    It's the least they can do for not providing the analog/analogue (for the Europeans) fans the single as stated in the by-laws.
  • Options
    phaqew said:
    pjl44 said:
    phaqew said:
    Nice! Only took you two hours