Options

Did Ticketmaster Screw NY Fans

I've been an active fan club member for 20+ years. This is the first time I've been shut out. Ticketmaster said it was an open lottery, seniority didn't mean anything. Is this right and has it always been this way? I thought seniority mattered. Of my 6-7 local friends who are Fan Club members, none of them got tickets. There's nothing on stubhub less than $400 and hardly any tickets period. What is going on?

Comments

• Options
    guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397
    Yes its correct, and it has always been that way.  Seniority only affects your seat location if you get selected in the lottery.  New york state and colorado both have laws in place that state tickets MUST be transferable, so NYC is a scalpers dream. 
    2005-9-12 London, ON
    2006-5-09 Toronto
    2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
    2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
    2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
    2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
    2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
    2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
  • Options
    Got it. Thanks @guitar101. I've never had a problem before and purposely didn't try for GA. Bummed. 
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited January 2020
    Lots of threads discussing this very thing.  

Seniority has to do with reserved seating placement.  It doesn't have anything to do with picking order.  A 1992 member has the same chance as a 2020 member.  Of course, those chances are affected by choice of GA, BA, Reserved, shows chosen, order chosen . . . But, in the tossing-the-name-in-a-hat kind of explanation, everyone of any seniority initially has the same crack at tickets.  

And, folks dropping their name into any show would say it wasn't just NY, but MSG is a very high demand show.  

Whatever the case, good luck to you and your friends in finding tickets.  
    Post edited by deadendp on
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Thank you. Hoping things change...Wishing I had tried for Baltimore..
  • Options
    RD81760RD81760 Posts: 123
    If they played Barclays there'd be 50% less out of towners invading NY
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    If you've never had any trouble getting NYC tickets in 20+ years, you should consider yourself extremely lucky.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    The thing that made it so hard was having only 2 shows in the northeast, then having them on a weekend was icing on top. And Baltimore being a tiny venue was the cherry.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    RK50065RK50065 St. Louis, MO Posts: 885
    No.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,910
    Bret screwed Bret. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    MozzyMozzy Posts: 154
    RD81760 said:
    I think there's truth to this. We probably would have been more hesitant to venture in for Barclays. It's super weird though because I am coming with 4 friends who are fanclub members and we all won the lottery for MSG. I always put in for shows at MSG and this is the first time I've ever won.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    RD81760 said:
    I can regretfully report that the StubHub prices for the Barclays shows in 2013 were not much different from MSG 2016 (both below what's currently listed for this MSG show, but that's pretty clearly due to there being only one show in NY, only two in the northeast and the higher number of fan club tickets handed out). Having to pay $250 per ticket for upper corner for Barclays 2 was the last straw that finally got me to sign up for this club.
    Post edited by tdawe on
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,222
    RD81760 said:
    And if they'd announced/sold shows in Boston and Philly at the same time (even if those shows were in the fall), would have been a lot easier for NYers to get the MSG tix with first choice.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    The only hope for MSG is once fans get their tickets, if their +1 cancels, they post their +1 on stub hub 

Since these would be 10c seats, let's hope these fans dont try to gut us completely on prices 
  • Options
    The only hope for MSG is once fans get their tickets, if their +1 cancels, they post their +1 on stub hub 

Since these would be 10c seats, let's hope these fans dont try to gut us completely on prices 
    And hope you get your money back when 10C cancels their tickets and membership.
  • Options

If I had a +1 to MSG I would look for someon on the forums before posting it to stubhub. Prob gonna try to trade it for a Baltimore tho when I found out where it is.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    Poncier said:

I hope 10 club does that but how are they going to be able to?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    PJNB said:
    Poncier said:

Stubhub listings show seat location, so 10C would know who's seat is listed.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Poncier said:

These are the replies I was hoping for.

Yesterday we brought up that NY was not going to be on face value exchange bc these tix are transferable by law.  And most agreed this makes sense bc fans will just try to dump on SH to make money.

But I thought club policy was no scalping of club seats? If that's true then why would 10c seats not be allowed on face value exchange?

The formal announcement seems to imply all NY tix are transferable?
  • Options
    By local law NY tix are transferable (a law ticket brokers got passed), by 10C rules, scalping is a no-no.
    So if someone gets caught scalping their +1 10C MSG ticket, they would have privileges revoked. Selling it to another fan at face is all that club allows.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    Poncier said:
    PJNB said:
    Poncier said:

Stubhub listings show seat location, so 10C would know who's seat is listed.
    They do not have to give seat location and just row number though. Even if 10club had whole rows to themselves what is to say that I did not just sell you my tickets at face value. I email you the tickets through ticketmasters system effectively releasing my tickets from me and now you are the sole owner of them. I have no access to them ever again. 

Now you want to flip these tickets for ridiculous amounts of money. 10 Club knows those tickets where 10 club seats at one point but how can I be responsible what happens to those tickets after I just sold them for face value like any 10club member should be doing?
  • Options
    I’ve been saying this all along. People are under the impression in some threads that the cards are stacked fairly for chances. I would wonder what the filters are that Ticketmaster sets. I find it suspect that brokers aren’t given some front of line options by TM. And you would never know anyhow. The anonymity protects that for them . You re just “in line” on the app. 
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,851
    PJNB said:
    Poncier said:

Yesterday we brought up that NY was not going to be on face value exchange bc these tix are transferable by law.  And most agreed this makes sense bc fans will just try to dump on SH to make money.

But I thought club policy was no scalping of club seats? If that's true then why would 10c seats not be allowed on face value exchange?

Because the F2F is for tickets that are otherwise non-transferable. With MSG tickets, you can send someone a private message and agree to sell to them, because you can transfer them (meaning you could just give them away, if you'd like).
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Poncier said:

All NY tickets are fully & freely transferable. If someone has an extra MSG ticket there are three things they can do with it:

1. Find another 10C member and sell it to that member for face value. Traditionally the way this is done is by going on the Given To Fly forum and either posting a thread that says "MSG Ticket Available" or whatever, or by picking one of the many "ISO Ticket For MSG" threads and messaging the OP. The good news is that now once the transfer is arranged, it can be consummated quickly & painlessly via Venmo and the Ticketmaster app, rather than having to arrange a pre-show meeting after the holder has picked up their tickets at will call.

2. Sell it for face value to a stranger. This is what people will be doing on the Fan To Fan Exchanges for other shows. Our understanding (nobody has all the details yet) is that anyone will be able to buy on those exchanges - they will not be limited to 10C members or Verified Fans or people with multiple copies of the Unplugged RSD album. You post your ticket(s), someone buys it/them. For MSG, you can accomplish the exact same thing by posting the ticket for sale at face value on StubHub, so there is no need for Ticketmaster to set up and administer a separate exchange that wouldn't provide any value to anyone.

3. Sell it for above face value. We know all about this one.
  • Options
    d70d70 Posts: 13
    There are 2 shows in the Northeast I am sure you had people from Baltimore to Boston that put in for tickets. On the low side 20,000 people entered the drawing at 2 a piece. That's 40,000 for a venue that holds less than 20,000.  I am truly surprised at how few tickets are available on the secondary market. 

I think the number of fans and only 2 shows screwed a lot of people for what its worth. 
  • Options
    RD81760RD81760 Posts: 123
    People come to MSG in search of the elusive epic show, I've been to all of them in the past and the last few have so much hype they never live up to what everyone expects. They are just as good as all the other shows. I truly don't believe the Oklahoma show or Arizona show is going to be much different than the MSG show. Just my POV from all the shows I've been to. GOne are the days of the "Breath"campaign and climbing the mic cord. lol
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,910
    Baltimore 2020 > MSG 2020

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    RD81760 said:
    And if they'd announced/sold shows in Boston and Philly at the same time (even if those shows were in the fall), would have been a lot easier for NYers to get the MSG tix with first choice.

Bingo. One of a few of their decisions that led to the fiasco on stub hub with their name on it.

Gutted.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    You driving me down? If not, I'll be -----d.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,757
    JimmyV said:
    Guessing you’ll be at Baltimore and not msg lol
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,915
    I mean, there's a reason that so many artists and entertainers revere MSG.  I've seen 6 shows there.  Two of them have been legendary and the other 4 pretty much fell in line with the 35+ others I've seen.  Every show has a chance to be something special.  Sometimes it comes out of nowhere.  With MSG, the hype is huge.  And with it being a one and done and no other shows nearby, the hype will be even more so than usual. I'm excited for it, but no more excited than I would be if I had tickets to any other city on this tour.