Options

Did Ticketmaster Screw NY Fans

Comments

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    I mean, there's a reason that so many artists and entertainers revere MSG.  I've seen 6 shows there.  Two of them have been legendary and the other 4 pretty much fell in line with the 35+ others I've seen.  Every show has a chance to be something special.  Sometimes it comes out of nowhere.  With MSG, the hype is huge.  And with it being a one and done and no other shows nearby, the hype will be even more so than usual. I'm excited for it, but no more excited than I would be if I had tickets to any other city on this tour. 
    It will be funny when Oklahoma or Phoenix ends up being the should not have missed show of the tour. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,002
    edited January 2020
    I mean, there's a reason that so many artists and entertainers revere MSG.  I've seen 6 shows there.  Two of them have been legendary and the other 4 pretty much fell in line with the 35+ others I've seen.  Every show has a chance to be something special.  Sometimes it comes out of nowhere.  With MSG, the hype is huge.  And with it being a one and done and no other shows nearby, the hype will be even more so than usual. I'm excited for it, but no more excited than I would be if I had tickets to any other city on this tour. 
    It will be funny when Oklahoma or Phoenix ends up being the should not have missed show of the tour. 
    People will look at setlists and say that, because they played Dirty Frank in the first encore or whatever. But in the building, at the show, MSG crowds are the best. Even the bootlegs don't really capture it. And I have high expectations for this one based on how many fan club tickets appear to have gone out, and how lucky everyone feels to just be in the building.

Go take a look at the StubHub map for this show right now. Nothing available in the floor reserved sections. Almost nothing available in the 100 level in front of the stage Nothing available across from the stage, and only a smattering of high rows in the 200 sides. That arena is going to be full of fan club members.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,840
    tdawe said:
    People will look at setlists and say that, because they played Dirty Frank in the first encore or whatever. But in the building, at the show, MSG crowds are the best. Even the bootlegs don't really capture it. And I have high expectations for this one based on how many fan club tickets appear to have gone out, and how lucky everyone feels to just be in the building.

Go take a look at the StubHub map for this show right now. Nothing available in the floor reserved sections. Almost nothing available in the 100 level in front of the stage Nothing available across from the stage, and only a smattering of high rows in the 200 sides. That arena is going to be full of fan club members.
    Place will be empty when they play even flow 
  • Options
    tdawe said:

I've been to many shows at MSG, PJ and otherwise. Some have been absolutely amazing, and some no better than others for bands. I'm well aware of the amount of fan club tickets and what prices for stub hub are for the show. Same goes for he bootlegs for the PJ shows I have seen there. 

Every show has a chance to be amazing. Just as an example, Detroit in 2014 was just as loud, and rivaled almost any PJ show I have seen at the Garden or otherwise. You just never know.  
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,850
    Sure hope Pearl Jam does not mail it in for my MSG show!
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,955
    PJNB said:
    They have it labelled "night off" on the schedule. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,850
    JimmyV said:
    PJNB said:
    They have it labelled "night off" on the schedule. 
    Seriously though two nights off after MSG with only 1 show. Going to be something else I bet. All the shows are! 
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    detroit was a great show.the crowds don't always make for a great show. new jersey 2011 was an amazing show and the crowd sucked. its whats on the stage that counts. the rest is up to you. but its great when both are in sync(not the band) 
  • Options
    foodboy said:
    detroit was a great show.the crowds don't always make for a great show. new jersey 2011 was an amazing show and the crowd sucked. its whats on the stage that counts. the rest is up to you. but its great when both are in sync(not the band) 
    Newark 2010 (I'm assuming that's what you mean) was the worst PJ crowd I've ever seen (Eddie even remarked on it a couple of times from the stage), and even though as I've listened back to the bootleg I can appreciate how good the band was, in the arena itself it was my least favorite show. I get why people like the setlist and the boot, but the lesson I took away from that night was that I should have just paid the $300 on StubHub to get into the Garden. Opinions may vary, but for me personally I care much more about how much fun the show is in the moment than how it looks on the setlist page or sounds on the bootleg. Maybe great crowds don't always make for great shows, but it's pretty hard to have a great show with a bad crowd. 
  • Options
    tdawe said:
    foodboy said:
    Newark 2010 (I'm assuming that's what you mean) was the worst PJ crowd I've ever seen (Eddie even remarked on it a couple of times from the stage), and even though as I've listened back to the bootleg I can appreciate how good the band was, in the arena itself it was my least favorite show. I get why people like the setlist and the boot, but the lesson I took away from that night was that I should have just paid the $300 on StubHub to get into the Garden. Opinions may vary, but for me personally I care much more about how much fun the show is in the moment than how it looks on the setlist page or sounds on the bootleg. Maybe great crowds don't always make for great shows, but it's pretty hard to have a great show with a bad crowd. 
    All true. Those two msg shows crushed Newark, even Newark I’m had an insane setlist. I was at all 3. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    tdawe said:
    foodboy said:
    All true. Those two msg shows crushed Newark, even Newark I’m had an insane setlist. I was at all 3. 
    Gonna listen to that bootleg now.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    tdawe said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    tdawe said:
    foodboy said:
    Jeez I really need to proof read. I still cannot type on my phone 🤦🏻‍♂️ Those 3 shows all have great boots. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    tdawe said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    tdawe said:
    foodboy said:
    Jeez I really need to proof read. I still cannot type on my phone 🤦🏻‍♂️ Those 3 shows all have great boots. 
    It was strange that the crowd was so mellow. I would never have expected it. I recall the weather was terrible, my brother and I were exhausted from driving down from the Boston show that was amazing the night before. 

If I had to guess, if the play Newark again, the crowds would likely be great. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    tdawe said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    tdawe said:
    foodboy said:
    It was strange that the crowd was so mellow. I would never have expected it. I recall the weather was terrible, my brother and I were exhausted from driving down from the Boston show that was amazing the night before. 

Yea dude wow. That Boston show was insane as well. What a great run of shows. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    tdawe said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    tdawe said:
    foodboy said:

I don't think that show sold out.
  • Options
    ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206
    tdawe said:

Was at the Newark show and confirm the crowd that night was almost as bad as the crowd in this forum has gotten.   
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    Clapper said:
    tdawe said:

Was at the Newark show and confirm the crowd that night was almost as bad as the crowd in this forum has gotten.   
    If the crowd at Prudential was half as loud as this forum the show would have fuckin rocked.
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    The Newark show had the best set list of the three NY area shows that year (IMO) but the crowd sucked the energy out of the show. 
    NYPJ
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    Back to the original post I think NY screwed NY.   They have an anti-scalping law which limits profit to 10%, but at the same time they have laws where people are entitled to physical tickets.   People can buy/sell tickets without ever stepping foot into the state, make the 10% rule kind of pointless.

It's pretty night and day between the states whose laws permitted TM/PJ to restrict the tickets vs. the ones that didn't.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933
    wall232 said:
    The Newark show had the best set list of the three NY area shows that year (IMO) but the crowd sucked the energy out of the show. 
    agree 100%.  If that newark set was played at msg we would be saying it was the best show since 2000.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 358
    1 show in NY screwed NY fans. If they tour in the Fall they'll be back, but it's still rough now for the locals. 
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22

• Options
    MD190661 said:
    1 show in NY screwed NY fans. If they tour in the Fall they'll be back, but it's still rough now for the locals. 
    If they come back to NY in the fall, it'll still be a tough ticket and we'll be right back here with the same complaints. 
  • Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 358
    tdawe said:
    MD190661 said:
    If they come back to NY in the fall, it'll still be a tough ticket and we'll be right back here with the same complaints. 
    Sure, but 2 nights each in NYC, Philly or other locations within a few hour drive will certainly help. People will get shut out of seeing every show, but way more will get at least 1 or 2. And if they play stadiums, everyone gets in. 
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22

• Options
    Does New Jersey have the same law as NY and CO? If they don’t maybe they. An play there in the fall and it will easier to get tickets 
  • Options
    tdawe said:

These are the facts. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
  • Options
    Does New Jersey have the same law as NY and CO? If they don’t maybe they. An play there in the fall and it will easier to get tickets 
    It wont be. Because the 20k seats for the show will be wanted by the same 1 million fans within driving distance and the band isn't going to skip one of the biggest, most cosmopolitan markets on the planet to quiet a hand full of fans that are crying because they didn't get their way in the sandbox. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2014 - Detroit
  • Options
    jimcsotjimcsot Western Massachusetts Posts: 39
    I’ve put in for every MSG show through 10C since 2013 and this is the first one I’ve hit on. An obscene number of people want to see the show, there are simply not enough tickets for demand. I also hit on back of the stage tix in the TM presale and passed on them... maybe I should have scalped them seeing secondary market prices, but I’d feel like a heel. 
  • Options
    RD81760RD81760 Posts: 124
    anyone ready for a return to the Nassau Coliseum lol
  • Options
    MR242791MR242791 Brooklyn NY Posts: 669
    MSG is the best venue for me only because I can hop on the train after the show and go home to my bed. lol.  but I've seen PJ at MSG several times and MSG shows are as much fun as any other city I've seen PJ at. No better no worse.  maybe its just the hype about NYC.  some people think its the greatest city in the world but I've been here all my life so i don't think that. :|
    38 concerts and counting
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
  • Options
    RD81760RD81760 Posts: 124
    MR242791 said:
    MSG is the best venue for me only because I can hop on the train after the show and go home to my bed. lol.  but I've seen PJ at MSG several times and MSG shows are as much fun as any other city I've seen PJ at. No better no worse.  maybe its just the hype about NYC.  some people think its the greatest city in the world but I've been here all my life so i don't think that. :|
    Exactly.