Options

Did Ticketmaster Screw NY Fans

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,081
    Been to a few MSG shows. Always a great time but not markedly better than anywhere else. If anything, maybe there's a better chance of a big name special guest since you're in Manhattan vs Ottawa.
  • Options
    SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,447
    With all the problems in the world, somehow politicians and lobbyists cared about reselling tickets in New York and Colorado, and spent time changing the laws.
    Disgusting.
  • Options
    ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206
    pjl44 said:
    Been to a few MSG shows. Always a great time but not markedly better than anywhere else. If anything, maybe there's a better chance of a big name special guest since you're in Manhattan vs Ottawa.
    As someone currently living in Ottawa, I can validate this.  Even people living here don't want to be here as special guests. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    Clapper said:
    pjl44 said:
    As someone currently living in Ottawa, I can validate this.  Even people living here don't want to be here as special guests. 
    Maybe Daniel Alfredsson will come out and play tambourine 
  • Options
    TEEJAM11TEEJAM11 Posts: 335
    Not sure anyone could say yes or no, but I believe Ten Club and Pearl Jam monitored the sisutation the best they can.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,909
    Clapper said:
    pjl44 said:
    Special guests suck. The one and only exception was Neil jamming on rocking in Toronto.  Besides that, blah. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,773
    Image result for customer complaint gif
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    MR242791MR242791 Brooklyn NY Posts: 669
    edited January 2020
    tdawe said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    tdawe said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    tdawe said:
    foodboy said:
    detroit was a great show.the crowds don't always make for a great show. new jersey 2011 was an amazing show and the crowd sucked. its whats on the stage that counts. the rest is up to you. but its great when both are in sync(not the band) 
    Newark 2010 (I'm assuming that's what you mean) was the worst PJ crowd I've ever seen (Eddie even remarked on it a couple of times from the stage), and even though as I've listened back to the bootleg I can appreciate how good the band was, in the arena itself it was my least favorite show. I get why people like the setlist and the boot, but the lesson I took away from that night was that I should have just paid the $300 on StubHub to get into the Garden. Opinions may vary, but for me personally I care much more about how much fun the show is in the moment than how it looks on the setlist page or sounds on the bootleg. Maybe great crowds don't always make for great shows, but it's pretty hard to have a great show with a bad crowd. 
    All true. Those two msg shows crushed Newark, even Newark I’m had an insane setlist. I was at all 3. 
    Gonna listen to that bootleg now.
    Jeez I really need to proof read. I still cannot type on my phone 🤦🏻‍♂️ Those 3 shows all have great boots. 
    It was strange that the crowd was so mellow. I would never have expected it. I recall the weather was terrible, my brother and I were exhausted from driving down from the Boston show that was amazing the night before. 

If I had to guess, if the play Newark again, the crowds would likely be great. 
    I don't think that show sold out.
    I was at the Newark show and the May MSG shows.  i thought Newark was a great show, I remember GO sounded awesome to me. I did have more fun at MSG only because that was before renovations and our three seats were all separated but I knew of an area that there were seats but the seats weren't really seats and the three of us got away faking that it was our seats. LOL.  at least i think that was the year.  so many years and concerts.  Good times LOL.
    38 concerts and counting
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
  • Options
    MR242791MR242791 Brooklyn NY Posts: 669
    pjl44 said:
    Yeah.  I'm not crazy about the special guests.  except maybe Dennis Rodman. lol
    38 concerts and counting
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
  • Options
    JG49071JG49071 Posts: 77
    JimmyV said:
    Bret screwed Bret. 
    GREATEST. QUOTE. EVER.
  • Options
    MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    pjl44 said:

Agreed.  I don't know exactly when in the last 10 years it became some mecca destination for people to see PJ at MSG but I think it gets overhyped.  I've seen amazing PJ shows there, and very average ones.  People are going to start getting far too great expectations about these shows and ultimately be disappointed on some level.
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • Options
    jimcsotjimcsot Western Massachusetts Posts: 39
    Agreed.  I don't know exactly when in the last 10 years it became some mecca destination for people to see PJ at MSG but I think it gets overhyped.  I've seen amazing PJ shows there, and very average ones.  People are going to start getting far too great expectations about these shows and ultimately be disappointed on some level.
    It’s hasn’t been the last 10 years! It’s been forever that MSG has been held in high regard by artists. Playing MSG means something. You have to achieve a certain level of success to pay there repeatedly. And the room has an incredible feel. It’s not sudden, random or all of a sudden. 
  • Options
    MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    jimcsot said:
    It’s hasn’t been the last 10 years! It’s been forever that MSG has been held in high regard by artists. Playing MSG means something. You have to achieve a certain level of success to pay there repeatedly. And the room has an incredible feel. It’s not sudden, random or all of a sudden. 
    I never mentioned how artists feel about playing there. I'm very aware, I've lived here my whole life. I'm talking about the fans.
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • Options
    traberatrabera Los Angeles, CA Posts: 127
    There's nothing on stubhub less than $400 and hardly any tickets period.
    I sure hope you don't buy tickets from StubHub. Did you read the ticket rules? There will be no chance of transferring tickets unless you sell/buy through Ticketmaster's own Fan-to-Fan service. No tickets will be sold above face value unless you scalp your ticket to the person that is walking in with you on YOUR pair of tickets.
    Ten Club Member #10XXX
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/13/95, 11/4/95, 11/6/95, 11/7/95, 9/21/96, 9/22/96, 9/24/96, 9/26/96, 9/28/96, 9/29/96, 10/19/96, 10/20/96, 11/14/97, 11/15/97, 2/20/98, 2/21/98, 7/10/98, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/22/00, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 12/6/02, 12/8/02, 6/1/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 7/18/06, 10/22/06, 8/28/09, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09, 11/21/13, 11/23/13, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22, 5/7/22
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,002
    MR242791 said:
    tdawe said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    tdawe said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    tdawe said:
    foodboy said:
    detroit was a great show.the crowds don't always make for a great show. new jersey 2011 was an amazing show and the crowd sucked. its whats on the stage that counts. the rest is up to you. but its great when both are in sync(not the band) 
    Newark 2010 (I'm assuming that's what you mean) was the worst PJ crowd I've ever seen (Eddie even remarked on it a couple of times from the stage), and even though as I've listened back to the bootleg I can appreciate how good the band was, in the arena itself it was my least favorite show. I get why people like the setlist and the boot, but the lesson I took away from that night was that I should have just paid the $300 on StubHub to get into the Garden. Opinions may vary, but for me personally I care much more about how much fun the show is in the moment than how it looks on the setlist page or sounds on the bootleg. Maybe great crowds don't always make for great shows, but it's pretty hard to have a great show with a bad crowd. 
    All true. Those two msg shows crushed Newark, even Newark I’m had an insane setlist. I was at all 3. 
    Gonna listen to that bootleg now.
    Jeez I really need to proof read. I still cannot type on my phone 🤦🏻‍♂️ Those 3 shows all have great boots. 
    It was strange that the crowd was so mellow. I would never have expected it. I recall the weather was terrible, my brother and I were exhausted from driving down from the Boston show that was amazing the night before. 

If I had to guess, if the play Newark again, the crowds would likely be great. 
    I don't think that show sold out.
    I was at the Newark show and the May MSG shows.  i thought Newark was a great show, I remember GO sounded awesome to me. I did have more fun at MSG only because that was before renovations and our three seats were all separated but I knew of an area that there were seats but the seats weren't really seats and the three of us got away faking that it was our seats. LOL.  at least i think that was the year.  so many years and concerts.  Good times LOL.
    I can confirm that the bootleg kicks ass, especially Go. I was listening to it on my train ride home and was so wrapped up in the encore that I missed my stop. Just barely made it back in time to pick up my kids. 

But I still maintain that it was the worst Pearl Jam show I’ve seen, in terms of how much I enjoyed the concert while I was there. MSG 2 2016 was a pretty standard show (other than the guests) but the crowd was fantastic and I had way more fun. 
  • Options
    ejk1280ejk1280 Posts: 81
    trabera said:
    There's nothing on stubhub less than $400 and hardly any tickets period.
    I sure hope you don't buy tickets from StubHub. Did you read the ticket rules? There will be no chance of transferring tickets unless you sell/buy through Ticketmaster's own Fan-to-Fan service. No tickets will be sold above face value unless you scalp your ticket to the person that is walking in with you on YOUR pair of tickets.
    Stubhub can sell Denver and NYC due to laws.  If you choose to buy from them that’s up to you.  But those are legit tickets. 
  • Options
    sean9769sean9769 Baltimore Posts: 57
    JimmyV said:
    Baltimore 2020 > MSG 2020
    Totally agree!
    2013 Baltimore
    2016 Philly1 
    2016 Fenway2
    2016 Wrigley 2
    2016 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2016 Temple of the Dog Seattle2
    2017 Soundgarden Detroit   RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 Seattle1
    2018 Seattle2
    2019 Chris Cornell Tribute LA
    2024 Baltimore 

• Options
    Best 2020 show will be Nashville.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,909
    pjl44 said:

I ve been to every pj show at msg and couldn’t agree more. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,452
    pjl44 said:

It goes back to 1998... the second show was declared the best Pearl Jam show ever by 5 Horizons, which was huge website back then.  Ever since then it’s been on many people’s bucket list.  It didn’t start 10 years ago. 

09/11/98 – Madison Square Garden: New York, NY[130m]
    support act: Ben Harper
    set: Release, Hail Hail, Animal, Even Flow, Given to Fly, Corduroy, MFC, Habit, Faithfull, Daughter/(Beginning to See the Light)/(WMA), Wishlist, Nothingman, Immortality, RVM, Brain of J, Black, Do the Evolution
    enc 1: Breath, State of Love and Trust, Off He Goes, Leatherman, Better Man/(Save it for Later), Mankind, Baba O’Riley
    enc 2: Indifference (with Ben Harper), Alive
    notes: Returning for the encore and yet another sea of “Breath” signs on ever single level of the Garden, Ed tells the crowd they are never satisfied:

“You fucking cocksuckers. [shakes head] You fucking bitch! You know, we come up here as a collective band and we give and we give and you just fucking want more … and you know what? You deserve it. This is like some kind of organized religion here; I’ve never seen anything like it. Do you see what’s happening? … the third night in a row, right? [applause] Well, fuck you. We’re gonna play it!”

leading to the first playing of ‘Breath’ since 1994!!! woo hoo!!! With a brief announcement (“same record, different track”), they follow with ‘SoL&T.’ ‘Mankind’ is introduced by Stone saying, “Well, since we’re playing every song in the catalog…” ‘Baba’ is intro’d as being a response to “corporate rock bands who make the mistake of trying to cover a real rock song.” ‘Indifference’ is played with an ecstatic Ben Harper (who has been including ‘Indifference’ at some of his shows). During ‘Alive,’ Ed makes four attempts to toss his microphone over the vocal monitor rig above his head, and finally gets it over, but instead of just standing there, he proceeds to CLIMB UP THE MIC CORD and hang there for the rest of the song. Possibly the best show the band has ever played in their life. Period. (And they knew it, too.)

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PaigePaige Posts: 365
    tdawe said:
    foodboy said:
    I had a GREAT time at the Newark show. I didn't pay attention to what anyone else was doing. It was just me and my PJ bud rocking out. Only later did I realize it was considered underwhelming by a fan perspective.
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,002
    Paige said:
    tdawe said:
    foodboy said:
    I had a GREAT time at the Newark show. I didn't pay attention to what anyone else was doing. It was just me and my PJ bud rocking out. Only later did I realize it was considered underwhelming by a fan perspective.
    It’s understandable that you didn’t notice what anyone else was doing, since everyone else in the arena was sitting still and being quiet. 
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,193
    I’ve seen plenty of shows at MSG and don’t get the hype. It’s just a venue like any other.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,773
    I’ve seen plenty of shows at MSG and don’t get the hype. It’s just a venue like any other.
    Things just take on a life of their own, from the 1998 night 2, to the 2 shows in 2003 (with night one getting the DVD treatment).

There is an overhyped perception that every show in Boston, Chicago, New York and Philly are great because of loud voices screaming they are great.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    BC62528BC62528 Posts: 200
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjl44 said:

I ve been to every pj show at msg and couldn’t agree more. 
    Agreed - seen the NY shows as well, actually have always preferred places like Hartford over the hassle of the major markets.  The outrage on these boards, due to the level of entitlement, will be at an all time high when those that paid $500+ on the secondary market get Sirens, Fixer and Last Kiss in the same night.  Although if you asked folks in far off lands that only get a chance to see their favorite band once every decade they certainly would love our "problems" over here in the States.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,148
    RD81760 said:
    anyone ready for a return to the Nassau Coliseum lol

They dont believe in playing for 3 million person market that is adjacent to an 8 million market.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,148
    edited January 2020
    Zod said:
    Back to the original post I think NY screwed NY.   They have an anti-scalping law which limits profit to 10%, but at the same time they have laws where people are entitled to physical tickets.   People can buy/sell tickets without ever stepping foot into the state, make the 10% rule kind of pointless.

It's pretty night and day between the states whose laws permitted TM/PJ to restrict the tickets vs. the ones that didn't.

This explains the minimum of 25,000 msg fans with a buying capacity of 100,000 tickets waiting on TM que 10 minutes before the onsale? That's more tickets than what was sold for the 4 non sellouts easily. 

PJ restricting ticket sales to all their shows, plus decisions to not look at their audience per capita when they plan their itinerary, has an immense impact on availability and prices 
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Back to the original post I think NY screwed NY.   They have an anti-scalping law which limits profit to 10%, but at the same time they have laws where people are entitled to physical tickets.   People can buy/sell tickets without ever stepping foot into the state, make the 10% rule kind of pointless.

It's pretty night and day between the states whose laws permitted TM/PJ to restrict the tickets vs. the ones that didn't.

This explains the minimum of 25,000 msg fans with a buying capacity of 100,000 tickets waiting on TM que 10 minutes before the onsale? That's more tickets than what was sold for the 4 non sellouts easily. 

PJ restricting ticket sales to all their shows, plus decisions to not look at their audience per capita when they plan their itinerary, has an immense impact on availability and prices 
    I keep saying this, there has to be a good reason for this?

Festival upcoming?  More shows to be added?
  • Options
    ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206

I mentioned this in a previous post but I would estimate that 30 million people live within comfortable driving distance of Baltimore, NYC, Toronto.  Even if only a million of those people are interested in the band, that's still a lot of people trying to snap up 60k tickets spread over three shows.  Its doesn't account for fans with spouse accounts who are trying to increase their odds, people trying for multiple shows,people willing to fly from further away and brokers. 

I think we are at a point in the band's career where audience per capita would barely be a consideration when choosing dates. They are going to sell out or close to at any city/venue they choose.  I think it comes down to interest of the band in any given city, ease of travel once the handful of cities have been chosen and how many shows they are willing to do at any given time. 

IF the band does a fall leg, I feel like it would at most be 15 shows (I personally think they will opt for a couple of fall ball park shows) which would put them at about 45 shows for the year which by recent standards is SUPER high.  These guys are in their 50's, have growing families,  this is semi-retirement for them.  They know a lot of fans will travel to get to a show nearest them if they have to.  I'm sure they wish every fan could come to every show but its not realistic and I would imagine they aren't spending much of their time worrying about it. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    Zod said:

I keep saying this, there has to be a good reason for this?

Festival upcoming?  More shows to be added?
    Or is it just scheduling conflicts with the basketball tournaments? If they're faced with one show or skipping it entirely do they just say one show it is?