Options

All things Transgender related

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:
    to me, the infinitesimal reality of your child wanting/needing to transition at some point in life does not require everyone to start from a position of neutrality. as mcgruff said, i think that could be incredibly confusing to a kid who by default is highly likely going to identify as the traditional gender that goes with the biological sex they are born with. 

to me that's like preparing your budget based on the possibility of winning the lottery. it just doesn't make sense. 

we as a society have a long way to go in acceptance and normalization of those that want/need this in their lives, but I think it could be detrimental long term for everyone to take this road. 
    Well... part of being a parent is to listen and be attentive to ones child's needs and wants. So, if the child with the NON CIRCUMCISED penis start to express feeling more like a girl - then a good parent would be open minded and dynamic in the parenting. And if it comes down to the child wanting to be called a "she". Then just switch the pronoun... 

I have problems seeing the big deal here.

I mean. My niece loved Frozen. And I thought she still did. Then she said she HATED FROZEN and only loved pokemon. So I adjusted and started teasing her about her still having Olaf bedsheets.
    your post has nothing to do with what I wrote. I WOULD be attentive to their needs if they were to express the need to transition, in whatever form that took. 

But I already stated: starting from a point of neutrality, where 99.9% of all other kids are one or the other, could be incredibly harmful. The benefits just do not outweigh the cons on this. I think neutral gender kids could end up being confused when there was no actual need for it to begin with. 
    I'm curious to hear how it could be incredibly harmful?
    bullying. the kid doesn't know which bathroom to go to at school. kids start saying "what ARE you?", and it snowballs from there. any other number of scenarios. 

and I can't imagine having a FORCED identity crisis at 5 years old when I wouldn't have had one to begin with. 
    If only there were a way to prepare children for things. It’s too bad we can’t talk to them. 
    no amount of talking to them prepares them for the hell that is bullying 6 hours a day 5 days a week. if it did, you wouldn't see a seismic drop in teen suicides. 
    Apparently those parents just aren’t talking to their kids. 

Gotta give the guy a break though, 1st kid, 9 months I think? Regardless very young. He had no clue. It’s all Parenting book bullshit.
    Right. I forgot books aren’t really your jam. 
    Try living it before preaching. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,861
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:
    ecdanc said:
    i have read what was written. no point was missed. people here need to come to the realization that just because I disagree with you, doesn't mean a point was missed, or, as dignin so elegantly put it, as usual, is "fucking weak". 
    So you didn’t miss the part where I explained that gender expression starts around 3 years old? 
    I remember you pointing that out. As a father of two boys, one who just turned 3 a few months ago, this sounds about right. Also lines up with all my family and friends experiences who have kids around a similar age.
    So most kids will be expressing their gender well before they encounter the roving gangs of cruel five-year-olds. 
    first, the 5 year old thing was talking about identity, not bullying. but that doesn't match up with the attempt at clever quips. 

second, i guess we can tell all those people out there transitioning at age 17, 22, 35, 47, and 69, that they are well behind the curve of modern 3 year olds. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,861
    so claiming to be rejecting gender norms, which would include, but not limited to, clothing, appearance in general, toys, etc. yet, the choosing of the name needs to be gender neutral. why? if you are so progressive and smashing through the glass ceiling that is gender traditions, why go with what traditional gender roles define as a gender neutral name? isn't that going along with gender norms? what's wrong with cynthia or gladys as a name if the child chooses to be a boy? it shouldn't matter, after all, no matter what the child chooses, if the kid is perfectly comfortable in their own skin and identity at age 3, well, then, what's the problem? 

and if the kid wants to change/choose their gender, why does name even matter? let the kid choose! i would imagine name is the least of the issues here. 

just name it baby x until it's old enough to crawl to its preferred name on a flash card in between diaper changes. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    +1

you end up with a baseline of some conformity no matter what
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,769
    edited January 2020
    so claiming to be rejecting gender norms, which would include, but not limited to, clothing, appearance in general, toys, etc. yet, the choosing of the name needs to be gender neutral. why? if you are so progressive and smashing through the glass ceiling that is gender traditions, why go with what traditional gender roles define as a gender neutral name? isn't that going along with gender norms? what's wrong with cynthia or gladys as a name if the child chooses to be a boy? it shouldn't matter, after all, no matter what the child chooses, if the kid is perfectly comfortable in their own skin and identity at age 3, well, then, what's the problem? 

and if the kid wants to change/choose their gender, why does name even matter? let the kid choose! i would imagine name is the least of the issues here. 

just name it baby x until it's old enough to crawl to its preferred name on a flash card in between diaper changes. 

Or do what Wavy Gravy did and name the boy something beyond gender neutral:  Howdy Do-Good Gravy Tomahawk Truckstop Romney.

It seems fucked up to me to not acknowledge a kids gender.  Why set them up to have their heads messed with that way?  That doesn't mean you can't let them express themselves in individual ways.  As a toddler, I had a girl doll for a few years, a typical "girls toy". I didn't care, I liked dragging it around along with my blanket.  I was Schroeder with a doll.  Some time later on, I discovered that it was more interesting to make model airplanes, attach them to a string, and fly them around in a circle with lit firecrackers attached to the fuselage.  Given the chance, kids figure out what shit works for them.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,934
    brianlux said:

Or do what Wavy Gravy did and name the boy something beyond gender neutral:  Howdy Do-Good Gravy Tomahawk Truckstop Romney.

It seems fucked up to me to not acknowledge a kids gender.  Why set them up to have their heads messed with that way?  That doesn't mean you can't let them express themselves in individual ways.  As a toddler, I had a girl doll for a few years, a typical "girls toy". I didn't care, I liked dragging it around along with my blanket.  I was Schroeder with a doll.  Some time later on, I discovered that it was more interesting to make model airplanes, attach them to a string, and fly them around in a circle with lit firecrackers attached to the fuselage.  Given the chance, kids figure out what shit works for them.

Schroeder was on keys. Linus had the blanket...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,769
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

How could I have forgotten that?  I need help.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

How could I have forgotten that?  I need help.

early onset dementia
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:
    ecdanc said:
    i have read what was written. no point was missed. people here need to come to the realization that just because I disagree with you, doesn't mean a point was missed, or, as dignin so elegantly put it, as usual, is "fucking weak". 
    So you didn’t miss the part where I explained that gender expression starts around 3 years old? 
    I remember you pointing that out. As a father of two boys, one who just turned 3 a few months ago, this sounds about right. Also lines up with all my family and friends experiences who have kids around a similar age.
    So most kids will be expressing their gender well before they encounter the roving gangs of cruel five-year-olds. 
    first, the 5 year old thing was talking about identity, not bullying. but that doesn't match up with the attempt at clever quips. 

second, i guess we can tell all those people out there transitioning at age 17, 22, 35, 47, and 69, that they are well behind the curve of modern 3 year olds. 
    You don’t seem to understand the difference between initial gender expression and transitioning. 
  • Options

For precisely the reasons you’ve already detailed: the world is full of shitty people. In most cases, our names stay with us for life. 

If you’d ever like to return to a conversation with me, let me know. For now it seems you’re content to keep bludgeoning your straw man. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Acknowledging a child’s gender is exactly what I’m advocating. Can’t acknowledge it until you know what it is. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:
    to me, the infinitesimal reality of your child wanting/needing to transition at some point in life does not require everyone to start from a position of neutrality. as mcgruff said, i think that could be incredibly confusing to a kid who by default is highly likely going to identify as the traditional gender that goes with the biological sex they are born with. 

to me that's like preparing your budget based on the possibility of winning the lottery. it just doesn't make sense. 

we as a society have a long way to go in acceptance and normalization of those that want/need this in their lives, but I think it could be detrimental long term for everyone to take this road. 
    Well... part of being a parent is to listen and be attentive to ones child's needs and wants. So, if the child with the NON CIRCUMCISED penis start to express feeling more like a girl - then a good parent would be open minded and dynamic in the parenting. And if it comes down to the child wanting to be called a "she". Then just switch the pronoun... 

I mean. My niece loved Frozen. And I thought she still did. Then she said she HATED FROZEN and only loved pokemon. So I adjusted and started teasing her about her still having Olaf bedsheets.
    your post has nothing to do with what I wrote. I WOULD be attentive to their needs if they were to express the need to transition, in whatever form that took. 

But I already stated: starting from a point of neutrality, where 99.9% of all other kids are one or the other, could be incredibly harmful. The benefits just do not outweigh the cons on this. I think neutral gender kids could end up being confused when there was no actual need for it to begin with. 
    bullying. the kid doesn't know which bathroom to go to at school. kids start saying "what ARE you?", and it snowballs from there. any other number of scenarios. 

and I can't imagine having a FORCED identity crisis at 5 years old when I wouldn't have had one to begin with. 
    If only there were a way to prepare children for things. It’s too bad we can’t talk to them. 
    no amount of talking to them prepares them for the hell that is bullying 6 hours a day 5 days a week. if it did, you wouldn't see a seismic drop in teen suicides. 

Gotta give the guy a break though, 1st kid, 9 months I think? Regardless very young. He had no clue. It’s all Parenting book bullshit.
    Shit, how do I please you and mrussel? Because he mocked me for reading books (fwiw, so did you). 

• Options
    ecdanc said:

For precisely the reasons you’ve already detailed: the world is full of shitty people. In most cases, our names stay with us for life. 

If you’d ever like to return to a conversation with me, let me know. For now it seems you’re content to keep bludgeoning your straw man. 
    I think the straw persons gender has yet to be chosen.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:

Shit, how do I please you and mrussel? Because he mocked me for reading books (fwiw, so did you). 

1) You don't even care to know the answer to the question you asked
    2) Maybe listen as much as you like to talk
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:

It's really awesome that the person who created this thread is now just throwing around a bunch of one-liners mocking transgender, non-binary, and gender fluid people. Glad to know you had good intentions. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:

1) You don't even care to know the answer to the question you asked
    2) Maybe listen as much as you like to talk
    Is listening better than reading? Just trying to get down the hierarchy of learnin'. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,145
    edited January 2020
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:

It's really awesome that the person who created this thread is now just throwing around a bunch of one-liners mocking transgender, non-binary, and gender fluid people. Glad to know you had good intentions. 

He started a troll-thread about Sweden just because I didn't take his countless oneliner-baits about Sweden in the Democratic Nominee-thread.

This is his MO.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:

He started a troll-thread about Sweden just because I didn't take his countless oneliner-baits about Sweden in the Democratic Nominee-thread.

This is his MO.
    Thanks for the info. I was wondering what was up with that Sweden thread. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:

This is his MO.
    no, I suggested to you several times to start one. Seems to work well for our Canadian friends. You wouldnt, so I did. now we can all learn.

I should hope you dont think my response.

I started this thread to stop the hijato Annaflaks and your comments on the dental history wasnt trolling.

I started this thread to stop the hijack of the dem thread. Id hoped this discussion would have included the sports angle or at a minimum the facts of biology and physiology.

I find it strange though he'llmake statements here utilizing the language of the binary like straw man. surely an english professor could find some way get that point across using nonbinary language.

he seems to want it both ways.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:

This is his MO.
    no, I suggested to you several times to start one. Seems to work well for our Canadian friends. You wouldnt, so I did. now we can all learn.

I should hope you dont think my response.

I started this thread to stop the hijato Annaflaks and your comments on the dental history wasnt trolling.

I started this thread to stop the hijack of the dem thread. Id hoped this discussion would have included the sports angle or at a minimum the facts of biology and physiology.

I find it strange though he'llmake statements here utilizing the language of the binary like straw man. surely an english professor could find some way get that point across using nonbinary language.

he seems to want it both ways.
    "You used the word 'man,' so I'm allowed to mock trans people!!" 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:

no. I am mocking you.  an admitted Man. An arrogant one at that.

you want a world where gendered language is a thing of the past dont you? begin here.

I noted your choice  in not responding to my take on the snl pat character.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:

you want a world where gendered language is a thing of the past dont you? begin here.

Except I did respond FFS. A note for several people on here: you can click back and look at earlier pages of this thread; they don't just disappear once we move onto a new page. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:

Except I did respond FFS. A note for several people on here: you can click back and look at earlier pages of this thread; they don't just disappear once we move onto a new page. 
    ok. you dont buy it.  will say kinda hard to catch things when I go to sleep and there 100 or more new garbage posts.

NOT what I hoped this might be. so thanks for contributing to the shit show.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:

ok. you dont buy it.  will say kinda hard to catch things when I go to sleep and there 100 or more new garbage posts.

I manage to keep up. 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:

Garbage posts? How do you know they were garbage if you didn't read them?

There were some great posts. Made me think more deeply about things.

• Options
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:

Yep.

Even brought it up to discussion at lunch at work today. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:

I'm glad you're finding that. Also there is as bunch of unnecessary shit here. didn't say all were.
    I appreciate your contributions @oftenreadings and those of that new to me or amt poster @amethgr8. Please keep it up.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:

I'm glad you're finding that. Also there is as bunch of unnecessary shit here. didn't say all were.
    I appreciate your contributions @oftenreadings and those of that new to me or amt poster @amethgr8. Please keep it up.

Then shut up already. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:

Then shut up already. 
    who the fuck do you think you are?

how about you post about the history of your evolution in thinking. hmm? might find it helpful to know your words and actions before, when the light bulb dimmer started being turned up. what happened to get you thinking maybe I had been wrong , your difficulty in moving from old to new thinking. how some of the major shifts occured if any. Whats your story human?

As a member of AA , we find sharing how we did things far more helpful than saying you must do this or that. Its well I did this and came to this result.

Attraction rather than promotion.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:

Then shut up already. 
    who the fuck do you think you are?

how about you post about the history of your evolution in thinking. hmm? might find it helpful to know your words and actions before, when the light bulb dimmer started being turned up. what happened to get you thinking maybe I had been wrong , your difficulty in moving from old to new thinking. how some of the major shifts occured if any. Whats your story human?

As a member of AA , we find sharing how we did things far more helpful than saying you must do this or that. Its well I did this and came to this result.

Attraction rather than promotion.
    A failed comic, it seems.