Options

All things Transgender related

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:
    ecdanc said:
    i have read what was written. no point was missed. people here need to come to the realization that just because I disagree with you, doesn't mean a point was missed, or, as dignin so elegantly put it, as usual, is "fucking weak". 
    So you didn’t miss the part where I explained that gender expression starts around 3 years old? 
    I remember you pointing that out. As a father of two boys, one who just turned 3 a few months ago, this sounds about right. Also lines up with all my family and friends experiences who have kids around a similar age.
    So most kids will be expressing their gender well before they encounter the roving gangs of cruel five-year-olds. 
    Image result for toddler gun
  • Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    ecdanc said:
    But are we just talking about what pronoun to use till the child is 3 years old... or do you include other gender-related things into that in this discussion?
    We treat P as if they have no gender, because they don’t have one yet. 
    So what about the name? Giving them a historically gender neutral one to be safe? Or waiting until they pick a name themselves at 3?
    Androgynous name. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    But are we just talking about what pronoun to use till the child is 3 years old... or do you include other gender-related things into that in this discussion?
    So what about the name? Giving them a historically gender neutral one to be safe? Or waiting until they pick a name themselves at 3?
    Androgynous name. 
    It's not really Pat, is it?  Hugh made that joke, but there's no way that can be it.  

So if your method plays out over time, will the gender line between names be eliminated?  That would be interesting.  Would it also eliminate the tradition of names to honor a family member?  As I mentioned earlier, my son is Nicholas, named after his grandfather.  Would I name my daughter Nicholas?  I guess maybe?  
  • Options
    dignin said:
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:
    ecdanc said:
    i have read what was written. no point was missed. people here need to come to the realization that just because I disagree with you, doesn't mean a point was missed, or, as dignin so elegantly put it, as usual, is "fucking weak". 
    So you didn’t miss the part where I explained that gender expression starts around 3 years old? 
    I remember you pointing that out. As a father of two boys, one who just turned 3 a few months ago, this sounds about right. Also lines up with all my family and friends experiences who have kids around a similar age.
    So most kids will be expressing their gender well before they encounter the roving gangs of cruel five-year-olds. 
    Image result for toddler gun
    This is funny.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    Androgynous name. 
    It's not really Pat, is it?  Hugh made that joke, but there's no way that can be it.  

So if your method plays out over time, will the gender line between names be eliminated?  That would be interesting.  Would it also eliminate the tradition of names to honor a family member?  As I mentioned earlier, my son is Nicholas, named after his grandfather.  Would I name my daughter Nicholas?  I guess maybe?  
    I think that's the idea. The name wouldn't matter at that point. I like the whole idea, and I'm glad people are acting on it to break down those barriers.
  • Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    I met a woman named Ronnie, said her dad wanted a boy and that was it on her birth certificate.  I don't think the name matters much, nowadays people are using unusual names, Gage, Summer, I saw a girl on ForgedInFire her name was Weslie.

My cousins husband, in his mid 30's, decided to have a circumcision.  He was doing a bicycling around Europe for a year and a half and risk of infection was too great for him to risk.  his choice, maybe some do fine with it.  

Anyone could argue pro's and con's of all the choices parents have to make for their kids.  I think kids need a baseline and if doesn't work as they grow, then adjust it.  The part I said about accepting our bodies was more general in the sense of height, weight, hair color, complexion, everything one person doesn't like about ourselves, we have to come to terms with it IF we cannot change it.  Even if you raise a child neutral, they identify with female at the age of 3 and when she turns 14 she wants to transition.  what's the difference.

In certain states a child can marry at the age of 14 if both parents give permission, I don't agree with that, but if the 14 yr old wants to, they will probably find a way, or maybe not.  A mom who let her 16 yr old have breast implants, I don't feel the 16yr old gave her body enough time to develop and see what the end result is, and then if she wants them okay.
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    edited January 2020
    This thread needs a theme song. 

Hold on, I've got it!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,131
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:
    to me, the infinitesimal reality of your child wanting/needing to transition at some point in life does not require everyone to start from a position of neutrality. as mcgruff said, i think that could be incredibly confusing to a kid who by default is highly likely going to identify as the traditional gender that goes with the biological sex they are born with. 

to me that's like preparing your budget based on the possibility of winning the lottery. it just doesn't make sense. 

we as a society have a long way to go in acceptance and normalization of those that want/need this in their lives, but I think it could be detrimental long term for everyone to take this road. 
    Well... part of being a parent is to listen and be attentive to ones child's needs and wants. So, if the child with the NON CIRCUMCISED penis start to express feeling more like a girl - then a good parent would be open minded and dynamic in the parenting. And if it comes down to the child wanting to be called a "she". Then just switch the pronoun... 

I have problems seeing the big deal here.

I mean. My niece loved Frozen. And I thought she still did. Then she said she HATED FROZEN and only loved pokemon. So I adjusted and started teasing her about her still having Olaf bedsheets.
    your post has nothing to do with what I wrote. I WOULD be attentive to their needs if they were to express the need to transition, in whatever form that took. 

But I already stated: starting from a point of neutrality, where 99.9% of all other kids are one or the other, could be incredibly harmful. The benefits just do not outweigh the cons on this. I think neutral gender kids could end up being confused when there was no actual need for it to begin with. 
    I'm curious to hear how it could be incredibly harmful?
    bullying. the kid doesn't know which bathroom to go to at school. kids start saying "what ARE you?", and it snowballs from there. any other number of scenarios. 

and I can't imagine having a FORCED identity crisis at 5 years old when I wouldn't have had one to begin with. 
    If only there were a way to prepare children for things. It’s too bad we can’t talk to them. 
    no amount of talking to them prepares them for the hell that is bullying 6 hours a day 5 days a week. if it did, you wouldn't see a seismic drop in teen suicides. 
    Apparently those parents just aren’t talking to their kids. 

Gotta give the guy a break though, 1st kid, 9 months I think? Regardless very young. He had no clue. It’s all Parenting book bullshit.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:
    to me, the infinitesimal reality of your child wanting/needing to transition at some point in life does not require everyone to start from a position of neutrality. as mcgruff said, i think that could be incredibly confusing to a kid who by default is highly likely going to identify as the traditional gender that goes with the biological sex they are born with. 

to me that's like preparing your budget based on the possibility of winning the lottery. it just doesn't make sense. 

we as a society have a long way to go in acceptance and normalization of those that want/need this in their lives, but I think it could be detrimental long term for everyone to take this road. 
    Well... part of being a parent is to listen and be attentive to ones child's needs and wants. So, if the child with the NON CIRCUMCISED penis start to express feeling more like a girl - then a good parent would be open minded and dynamic in the parenting. And if it comes down to the child wanting to be called a "she". Then just switch the pronoun... 

I mean. My niece loved Frozen. And I thought she still did. Then she said she HATED FROZEN and only loved pokemon. So I adjusted and started teasing her about her still having Olaf bedsheets.
    your post has nothing to do with what I wrote. I WOULD be attentive to their needs if they were to express the need to transition, in whatever form that took. 

But I already stated: starting from a point of neutrality, where 99.9% of all other kids are one or the other, could be incredibly harmful. The benefits just do not outweigh the cons on this. I think neutral gender kids could end up being confused when there was no actual need for it to begin with. 
    bullying. the kid doesn't know which bathroom to go to at school. kids start saying "what ARE you?", and it snowballs from there. any other number of scenarios. 

and I can't imagine having a FORCED identity crisis at 5 years old when I wouldn't have had one to begin with. 
    If only there were a way to prepare children for things. It’s too bad we can’t talk to them. 
    no amount of talking to them prepares them for the hell that is bullying 6 hours a day 5 days a week. if it did, you wouldn't see a seismic drop in teen suicides. 

Gotta give the guy a break though, 1st kid, 9 months I think? Regardless very young. He had no clue. It’s all Parenting book bullshit.
    It is cute to see a new dad suddenly be the parenting expert. Anyway, good luck to all parents out there. It is a hard job with a tremendous amount of joy mixed with inevitable frustration and anxiety and sometimes heartbreak. But it is rewarding to see them become young, successful adults. Mine are 29 and 26 and I'm surely no expert.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,131
    jeffbr said:
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:

It is cute to see a new dad suddenly be the parenting expert. Anyway, good luck to all parents out there. It is a hard job with a tremendous amount of joy mixed with inevitable frustration and anxiety and sometimes heartbreak. But it is rewarding to see them become young, successful adults. Mine are 29 and 26 and I'm surely no expert.
    Cheers. I’m still in what I consider the front line...and the war is heating up.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    jeffbr said:
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:

Cheers. I’m still in what I consider the front line...and the war is heating up.
    I ll be holding the line on multiple fronts next year: high school (11th grade), middle school (6th grade) and elementary school (1st grade).
    cool thing is I ll be able to teach one of my kids next year.  I taught my daughter and it was great.  

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:

21, 18, 11.  I'm making good progress,  and ready to wrap up this kid thing soon. 
  • Options
    You guys are old as shit.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    You turning 21 this year?
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:

Where the fuck did I claim to be an expert? People asked me about gender neutral parenting and I told them what I do. Y’all suck at reading. 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    47. I lived the movement first hand,  18 when Ten hit.  No regrets on that. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:

Right. I forgot books aren’t really your jam. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    College or high school?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    College or high school?
    Class of 91 for HS. So it was early college.  I just remember Ten,  Bloodsugar, Nevermind,  Facelift were on full time,  along with Mama Said.  We were digging Lenny too.
  • Options
    dignin said:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:

You saw Jimi.  That's a good tradeoff. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:

Ah, yes, true!  :plus_one:

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:

I thought he was Jimi s godfather?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:

Nah,  he's ours around here.  The voice of reason,  moderation and moral clarity. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,886
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:

Nah,  he's ours around here.  The voice of reason,  moderation and moral clarity. 
    until you piss him off......

given my previous history I am very thankful to not have kids. wouldnt have been a pleasant upbringing.
    but I do have 2nd, 3rd and 4th cousins that trust my opinions over others..... so in that way I am helping raise a couple generations....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:

until you piss him off......

given my previous history I am very thankful to not have kids. wouldnt have been a pleasant upbringing.
    but I do have 2nd, 3rd and 4th cousins that trust my opinions over others..... so in that way I am helping raise a couple generations....
    Admittedly and much to my embarrassment, I will admit I have had a short fuse now and then.  The first step is admitting it, the second step is working on it- which I do.  But be assured of this- if I can get down to Oakland to meet some of you, I guarantee I will not do the following:

-Grouse, grumble, complain or yell.
    -Call you names
    -Act like aknow-it-all or wise-ass.
    -Kiss you on the lips or grab your tush.

On the other hand, I will:

-Either shake your hand, hand bump, hug or high five- your choice.
    -Tell you I'm glad to meet you.
    -Ask if you'd care to write something in a small nice-to-meet-you note pad.
    -And toast your beverage of choice- maybe even buy you a round!

• Options
    Why the fuck are you coming if not to grab my tush?  What a buzzkill. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    I also lived it first hand, but I was a young pup then. Not old enough to go to any shows, just listen to the album's.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    I also lived it first hand, but I was a young pup then. Not old enough to go to any shows, just listen to the album's.
    So you gotta be pushing 40.  The moment was gone by 95. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Why the fuck are you coming if not to grab my tush?  What a buzzkill. 

Alright, Jesus already, I'll grab your fucking tush.  :lol:

Oh, but wait, I'm hoping to bring my wife along too so maybe not!