All things Transgender related

Comments

• ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    I'll say this....I don't care how people identify and want to live their lives.  Life is too short for us to tell anyone how they can live.

That being said, this pronoun crap is ridiculous.  They even have to document your preferred pronoun on medical records now.  I told my wife I am going to use "her/they" if they ask me.
    See, what’s the proper way for me to tell Gern he’s being offensive?
    keep in mind that I don't care what pronoun people use....I'm just not going to use it
    So you’re reinforcing the dehumanization of trans, non-binary, and gender fluid people. 
    Not intentionally.  I don't think it is fair to make that case against someone who truly doesn't care how people choose to identify.
    Why does your intent matter? I doubt it does to the trans people you’re misgendering. 
    but your intent here is supposed to excuse things, right.
    Have never said that. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,426
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    I'll say this....I don't care how people identify and want to live their lives.  Life is too short for us to tell anyone how they can live.

That being said, this pronoun crap is ridiculous.  They even have to document your preferred pronoun on medical records now.  I told my wife I am going to use "her/they" if they ask me.
    keep in mind that I don't care what pronoun people use....I'm just not going to use it
    So you’re reinforcing the dehumanization of trans, non-binary, and gender fluid people. 
    Not intentionally.  I don't think it is fair to make that case against someone who truly doesn't care how people choose to identify.
    Why does your intent matter? I doubt it does to the trans people you’re misgendering. 
    I think you just want to argue regardless of what anyone says here.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,616
    I can't help but wonder if some one has...

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

I'd love not to argue, but people keep saying offensive things here, then they want to argue when I say "umm, that's offensive." 

Just say, "I hadn't thought about how my choice of words might have an impact on marginalized people; I'll respect people's pronoun choices so I don't unwittingly align myself with these harmful discursive formations" and we'll have no argument. 
    brianlux said:

I know you probably won't believe me, but my only ulterior motive is to call out people who are being offensive/dehumanizing. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,616
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:

I know you probably won't believe me, but my only ulterior motive is to call out people who are being offensive/dehumanizing. 

Right, like homophobic, prejudiced bigots such as myself.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

It should and it does, in my experiences anyways.
    brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:

Right, like homophobic, prejudiced bigots such as myself.

Now you’re being purposely obtuse. Your statement was linked to prejudice. Read. 
    dignin said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

I agree that intentionally dehumanizing someone is worse than unintentionally dehumanizing someone. 
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

I'd love not to argue, but people keep saying offensive things here, then they want to argue when I say "umm, that's offensive." 

Just say, "I hadn't thought about how my choice of words might have an impact on marginalized people; I'll respect people's pronoun choices so I don't unwittingly align myself with these harmful discursive formations" and we'll have no argument. 
    I think most here would agree with the bolded. I do.
    dignin said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

I think most here would agree with the bolded. I do.
    We have some very vocal holdouts. 
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

I guess I have a hard time putting it in context.  

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • I'll say this....I don't care how people identify and want to live their lives.  Life is too short for us to tell anyone how they can live.

A lot of people think this way.  I think this way.

It is something I try and understand and do not get, I just don't.  

I have gay neighbors that have an adopted son that wants to trasngender/transform to a woman.  They don't understand but are trying.

I'm trying.  

It may take a lot of questions and people telling me I'm offending them or I am not getting it but I am trying.

In the end I may not understand but that doesn't mean that I am against what they are doing.  Live and let live.
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

I guess I have a hard time putting it in context.  
    Not sure what you mean 

I have gay neighbors that have an adopted son that wants to trasngender/transform to a woman.  They don't understand but are trying.

I'm trying.  

It may take a lot of questions and people telling me I'm offending them or I am not getting it but I am trying.

In the end I may not understand but that doesn't mean that I am against what they are doing.  Live and let live.
    “This ... is ridiculous” does not sound like someone trying to understand. 
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

I agree that intentionally dehumanizing someone is worse than unintentionally dehumanizing someone. 
    In my experience, although very limited, the trans people I know are very understanding. I work with a trans person, but I had the luxury of being introduced to her with her name. So that's how I refer to her. 

But even with my best intentions, I could probably still fuck that up somehow and I get the impression she would be forgiving. Most of us have spent our entire lives using two pronouns so we're bound to slip every once in awhile, even with the best of intentions.

I'm trying.  

well said....

I get that saying "there is only male and female" is probably incorrect.  I'm not a scientist so I just can't argue about it.

dignin said:
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

In my experience, although very limited, the trans people I know are very understanding. I work with a trans person, but I had the luxury of being introduced to her with her name. So that's how I refer to her. 

But even with my best intentions, I could probably still fuck that up somehow and I get the impression she would be forgiving. Most of us have spent our entire lives using two pronouns so we're bound to slip every once in awhile, even with the best of intentions.
    Absolutely. The goal is to minimize—and eventually eliminate—their need to be forgiving (in this precise way). 
    ecdanc said:

I'm trying.  

I apologize if that offended you, truly.  I think it is ridiculous in the sense that no one could possibly know what pronoun someone wants to be referred to as when we don't have it tattooed on our foreheads or wear some sort of sign/tag.  

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    edited January 2020
    ecdanc said:

I'm trying.  

I apologize if that offended you, truly.  I think it is ridiculous in the sense that no one could possibly know what pronoun someone wants to be referred to as when we don't have it tattooed on our foreheads or wear some sort of sign/tag.  

So? What's the point trying to be made here?

Who has asked you to know this?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

I'm trying.  

well said....

I get that saying "there is only male and female" is probably incorrect.  I'm not a scientist so I just can't argue about it.
    No, no, no. Science has nothing to do with this. Science does not determine when and how you treat someone with decency. 
    ecdanc said:

I'm trying.  

Ask?
  • ecdanc said:

I'm trying.  

I guess you missed the part where I admit to not getting it?

• ecdanc said:
    dignin said:
    ecdanc said:
    dignin said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Absolutely. The goal is to minimize—and eventually eliminate—their need to be forgiving (in this precise way). 
    For this to really happen wouldn't we have to get rid of the terms "his or her"?
    ecdanc said:

I'm trying.  

I guess you missed the part where I admit to not getting it?

Sorry. My bad. I quoted you to reinforce my point to Gern. I was unclear. 
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

I'm trying.  

Ask?
    Isn't that like assuming a woman "when is your due date?" when she may have just put on a few lbs?

Asking someone what their pronoun is makes no sense.  If I need to ask you in order for someone to avoid being offended then you need to just announce occasionally so that everyone knows.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    edited January 2020
    nvm. misread.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited January 2020
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

I'm trying.  

Ask?
    Isn't that like assuming a woman "when is your due date?" when she may have just put on a few lbs?

Asking someone what their pronoun is makes no sense.  If I need to ask you in order for someone to avoid being offended then you need to just announce occasionally so that everyone knows.
    Edit: https://www.glaad.org/reference/transgender
  • ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

I'm trying.  

Ask?
    I'm full of questions here.

I would think it might come off as rude if you asked?

or is the wrong pronoun more egregious?

or is it different case for different people?
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

I'm trying.  

Ask?
    I'm full of questions here.

I would think it might come off as rude if you asked?

or is the wrong pronoun more egregious?

or is it different case for different people?
    See the link