Someone explain to me: When did Pearl Jam become this popular?!

Comments

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    Multiple generations going now AND PJ have become a fairly legendary rock band. Many critics and even non fans have come to respect them for withstanding the test of time and for their superb live shows. Not to mention the amount of huge celebrities that praise them as well. 

They are definitely more popular than 5-15 years ago 
  • I keep saying  they should do 10c full shows. Still sell out . Whats the beef with doing that. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    I agree with whoever said PJ20. That brought in a new generation and some awareness to a lot of people who'd forgotten that they were still around. And really there's another new generation that's discovering the band now. It ain't gonna get any easier, that's for sure. They consistently deliver legendary shows that pads the legend.
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • NEweatherNEweather Posts: 519
    ( seems to me Pearl Jam has always been popular Live... for a long time...but I've primarily seen 'em live from California)
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    When I put in for my vaca and mentioned my plans, my boss, who is my age, said, is that a band?   
    No, really? Was this person not in North America during PJ's formative years?
    Not everyone is into music.  She was a young mother raising a family, that was her thing, not mine.  So yeah, not totally out of realm of possibility that she has never heard of PJ.  I'm confused about the whole thread, I have never been to a PJ concert that did not appear to be completely sold out.  And I've been to a LOT of PJ shows.  I guess it's the speed of the sell out that is confounding some?? Again, I'll go to first new music in 5 years, what core fan doesn't want to be a part of that action???
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    June 3rd 2014
  • A cross country sixteen show tour, after a year and a half between shows, towards the end of their career? Are you shittin’ me? People are fiending for Pearl Jam. Fiending for rock n’ roll. FIENDING. And for good reason, we need the music now more than ever. The band is slowing down and the fans are still tenacious as fuck. It’s great.

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,685
    Marketing.  It's big business.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Just speaking specifically about CA, they have not played here in 7 years. I think there is a bit of pent up demand. I'm planning on going to all CA shows, and I feel like there is a bit of extra motivation because it feels like they just don't play here as much anymore. 
  • The Hyde Park BST show sold out last week, with like 6 months to go.   I’d love to know how this compares with their 2010 show there.  I feel like this one sold out a LOT faster.  

This is the festival known for offering 2-for-1s and full price tickets reduced to £2.50 in the days and weeks leading up.   That’s been the case for some pretty major artists too.  

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    There's only 4 USA shows from St. Louis and eastward. That's a lot of people cramming in to a few amount of shows. Add in 4 years since their last USA tour (besides the home/away shows) and there you are.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Think it has to do with a low supply and sporadic touring more than anything. 
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 1,004
    Was the milton keynes 2014 gig sold out 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,951
    DewieCox said:
    It is amazing that not putting out an album for 7 years and touring sporadically actually made them more popular tho.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    vzouzal said:
    They always were....
    No tour has ever sold this fast since 98. 
    Crazy too since they are really only hitting 1 of their top 5 markets. 
    In your opinion What are their five markets ?

Seattle, Chicago, New York, Boston, Philly.

On the outside of that I would think top 10 would include. LA, Toronto, London, Amsterdam, and anywhere in Italy. 

What are you thinking? I am probably missing some. 
    Hard to argue with that list.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,190
    on2legs said:
    DewieCox said:
    It is amazing that not putting out an album for 7 years and touring sporadically actually made them more popular tho.  
    And you're in a pretty crazy place if 16 arena shows is low supply
  • JadlerJadler Posts: 761
    I agree with whoever said PJ20. That brought in a new generation and some awareness to a lot of people who'd forgotten that they were still around. And really there's another new generation that's discovering the band now. It ain't gonna get any easier, that's for sure. They consistently deliver legendary shows that pads the legend.
    I also agree with this. Especially about PJ20. Have a few friends who were always fans, but after PJ 20 doc found another level of love for the band. Became all in.
    on2legs said:
    DewieCox said:
    I don’t really think their popularity has grown.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    JimmyV said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    vzouzal said:
    They always were....

On the outside of that I would think top 10 would include. LA, Toronto, London, Amsterdam, and anywhere in Italy. 

Jeff got his masters in geography at the University of Yellowknife.
    Interesting point about PJ20, I never really thought about how that film impacted touring.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    pjl44 said:
    on2legs said:
    DewieCox said:
    And you're in a pretty crazy place if 16 arena shows is low supply
    I guess lower, not low necessarily bit it is low compared to most higger touring acts. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    vzouzal said:
    They always were....

Jeff got his masters in geography at the University of Yellowknife.
    Interesting point about PJ20, I never really thought about how that film impacted touring.
    They get snooty if you don't refer to it as "the world renowned University of Yellowknife."

• KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,071
    only from my experience...

missoula 2012 sold out in 3 mins, I drove home from work to be on a laptop since I didn’t have a smartphone. Glad I did.

Missoula 2018 was shut out of getting tickets through the ticket master verified fan sale. I thoroughly believe that if PJ had been touring regularly in those years in the US that those tickets would have been easy. Even Jeff expressed concern about booking a 25,000 seat venue in Montana.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    THE world renowned University of Yellowknife.  Don't forgot the emphasis on THE!
    It really does boggle my mind that places like nashville, phoenix and st. louis sold out so quick.  It's like 1998 all over again!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    mcgruff10 said:
    THE world renowned University of Yellowknife.  Don't forgot the emphasis on THE!
    It really does boggle my mind that places like nashville, phoenix and st. louis sold out so quick.  It's like 1998 all over again!

Consider Nashville.  17 years since the last show, the city has grown immensely and also become a tourist hot spot.  St. Louis = Chicago 2.0 when they don't play in Chicago.  I'm not surprised at demand for either of those shows. 
    There is a mystique around Pearl Jam that has built for almost 30 years. The bulk of the fanbase is in their 40's, which is young enough to travel and old enough to have disposable income.

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    Sadly I did not finish my degree at THE University of Yellowknife. The polar bears and beavers kept trying to break into my igloo and kept me up all night. 
    Harvard on the ice.

• Yeah, it’s not like they sold out baseball stadiums last year or anything. What are you guys talking about, they have always sold out shows and it’s been 6.5 years since new music came out. Their core fans have never wavered plus they are playing arenas again with a new album. I think a band is always more popular when they are promoting a new record.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    I do not remember the how the whole tour sold for 2013 but I am pretty sure Worcester night 2 did not sell out. I had extra tickets for that show and had to give them away. No way that happens in 2020. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,190
    PJNB said:
    I do not remember the how the whole tour sold for 2013 but I am pretty sure Worcester night 2 did not sell out. I had extra tickets for that show and had to give them away. No way that happens in 2020. 
    Yeah, I bought Worcester 2 tickets on TM day-of