Someone explain to me: When did Pearl Jam become this popular?!

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    PJNB said:
    I do not remember the how the whole tour sold for 2013 but I am pretty sure Worcester night 2 did not sell out. I had extra tickets for that show and had to give them away. No way that happens in 2020. 
    Neither philly show was sold out in 2013.  Lots of tickets in 2014 and 2016 too.  2018 was different, you are talking 7 shows in four cities in some of their biggest markets.
    Like I said, look at a place like Oklahoma City and explain that to me lol.  The worst seller this tour is quebec city!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,792
    I miss igotid88
  • YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 839
    1995 soldier field between 60,000 and 70,000 fans testified to the popularity 
    Soldier Field 7-11-95, Alpine Valley 6-26-98, United Center 6-29-98, Riverport Amphitheater (St. Louis)7-2-98, MGM Grand Arena 10-22-00, Sprint Center (Kansas City)5-3-10, Adams Event Center (Missoula)9-30-12, Wrigley Field 7-19-13, Jobing.com Arena (Phoenix)11-19-13, Moda Center (Portland)11-29-13, Spokane Arena 11-30-13, Pepsi Center (Denver)10-22-14, Gila River Arena (Phoenix)5-9-22, Moody Center (Austin)9-18-23, Moody Center 9-19-23, Rogers Arena (Vancouver)5-4-24, Rogers Arena 5-6-24, MGM Grand 5-16-24, MGM Grand 5-18-24, Wrigley Field 8-29-24, Wrigley Field 8-31-24
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    edited January 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    I do not remember the how the whole tour sold for 2013 but I am pretty sure Worcester night 2 did not sell out. I had extra tickets for that show and had to give them away. No way that happens in 2020. 
    Neither philly show was sold out in 2013.  Lots of tickets in 2014 and 2016 too.  2018 was different, you are talking 7 shows in four cities in some of their biggest markets.
    Like I said, look at a place like Oklahoma City and explain that to me lol.  The worst seller this tour is quebec city!
    Pretty damn good when your worst seller only has behind the stage seats remaining that are not singles. These guys have a lot of momentum going for them right now. New album getting great previews, tour selling like fire, Europe sales looking great. Look how down some of us were a year ago not knowing what the future held. People thought they were retiring. They also thought stadium shows is all we were getting here on out. We have a full arena tour and an album that sounds like its going to have something for everyone. What a great time to be a fan of this band, 
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited January 2020
    Finn McKenty has a theory on this and it applies to all popular music really. You can watch the video here:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=srhaUoYtiIs

PJ hit the ground running with Ten and was popular. I remember going to bush parties as a teenager and hearing the jockos blasting Jeremy.... Then the bands intentional pull back combined with considerable backlash on the musical direction. It wasn’t “cool” to be a PJ fan anymore. 
    Now this was before the “neck beards on the Internet” were telling us how uncool PJ was but McKinty’s points are valid.  Basically, the band  hung around long enough they became cool again. All the critics soften and original fans and their kids want to see a show for nostalgia, curiosity, etc. 
    He uses NOFX as a good example here. He’s a marketing expert and A hardcore fan. I find his channel very interesting as he tries to explain to folks why “rock n roll is dead” and that it might be the fans fault lol. 

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • smile6680smile6680 Posts: 378
    I think it's mostly three things
    1. Less touring
    2. People are beginning to wonder how many more times will they be able to see them live
    3. a lot of the core fan base has become more financially stable as they have aged. A lot more people seem to be able to fly cross country/other countries to see them. Especially places like New York, Chicago and Boston where people make vacation around seeing the band.
  • MyBitterHands76MyBitterHands76 Posts: 346
    edited January 2020
    I think they’ve always been popular they just have such a huge devoted following/fan base, and they haven’t done really a proper US tour in awhile. Plus I think an issue why so many got shut out of the Baltimore or MSG show is because they are really the only North East shows on this leg. I posted this on another thread but I think if they had done what they normally do (2 philly shows, 2 Boston shows, and 2 NYC area shows) tickets would have been much easier to get on the public sale and I don’t think as many people would have been shut out in the 10c presale either. 
    "If you're like me, then you know me"

2006: Camden 1
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 1, Philly 2, Philly 3, Philly 4
    2013: Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2,
    2017: Temple of The Dog Philly 2
  • JBob87JBob87 Posts: 457
    smile6680 said:
    1. Less touring
    2. People are beginning to wonder how many more times will they be able to see them live
    3. a lot of the core fan base has become more financially stable as they have aged. A lot more people seem to be able to fly cross country/other countries to see them. Especially places like New York, Chicago and Boston where people make vacation around seeing the band.
    It’s all this, plus what other mainstream rock bands are out there that are still “real” I.e. putting out new music, playing arenas, and not just trotting out the same greatest hits setlist they have been for the last decade+. Lot less options for people to see a real show. 
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    I found out there were tickets available and decided that I'm going to make the trip to see PJ in OKC. I still hope there's a Fall date close by. Ideally, I'd wanted to wait to see if NC would end up getting rescheduled or Charlottesville gets a date, but demand for those will most likely be insanity (aka Baltimore on this leg). Plus, they hit this region hard between 2013-2016 and I don't want to take any chances on it. We'll see how that eventually shakes out, but either way - OKC here I come! The GIGATON hype is reaching astronomical proportions already, lol. 

I imagine even a YouTube channel like Better Than Nothing has helped grow the fanbase over the past few years. There hasn't been any newer big Rock bands to really come up and make the same kind of impact bands did between the '60's-90's in recent years. What's going to be left after some of these bands call it a day? Tribute Acts? Holograms? 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • NEweatherNEweather Posts: 519
    Finn McKenty has a theory on this and it applies to all popular music really. You can watch the video here:

PJ hit the ground running with Ten and was popular. I remember going to bush parties as a teenager and hearing the jockos blasting Jeremy.... Then the bands intentional pull back combined with considerable backlash on the musical direction. It wasn’t “cool” to be a PJ fan anymore. 
    Now this was before the “neck beards on the Internet” were telling us how uncool PJ was but McKinty’s points are valid.  Basically, the band  hung around long enough they became cool again. All the critics soften and original fans and their kids want to see a show for nostalgia, curiosity, etc. 
    He uses NOFX as a good example here. He’s a marketing expert and A hardcore fan. I find his channel very interesting as he tries to explain to folks why “rock n roll is dead” and that it might be the fans fault lol. 

( I just watched / that is very interesting- I liked it!  Thanks! )
    ( ...this means even Attila will come out smellin' like a rose after going through the cycle? ...hmm? lol... maybe ... )
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,835
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    Detroit 2014 wasn’t a sellout.  Granted only seats available were behind the stage. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • jonbond1779jonbond1779 Posts: 1,637
    Don't underestimate the volume of touts...

"Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • NEweather said:

You are very welcome! On some of his videos he talks about bands I’ve never heard of,
    makes me feel real old lol
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,534
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:

I recall trying to get tix to Philly then and nothing was available?

whats up with OKC? IIRC there were still backstage available and they still did not open the full arena yet?
    NEweather said:

You are very welcome! On some of his videos he talks about bands I’ve never heard of,
    makes me feel real old lol
    ( i read that... I'm a "chaperone", that's how i end up seeing stuff that was already a certain flavor of the month, in a metal-core genre-so three years ago-lol...so yeah maybe I "see/hear/attend live" with,- but pearl jam i "keep to myself" and +1 w/ those bent on seeing them live when it matches like that...otherwise only  basically talk here about 'em- only 1 person i know asked me if i "scored" tickets to pearl jam during the past week, cuz they "know" - others just not that into it- more tixs then for the faithful! )
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    If it's only seats behind the stage, that is a sellout in my opinion.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    JimmyV said:
    I agree. Plenty of people look at those and think fuck that I will pay for something better. Once they find out there is no traditional secondary market until Feb 18th they may reconsider. 
  • kaikaikaikai Posts: 55
    I am open to the consideration that I am entirely wrong on this but...
    I mentioned this on another thread but I really think YouTube creators have a small part in PJs growing popularity as well. It may not make but a small difference, but it’s still a difference... The “react” video craze has these creators doing loads of PJ videos. They’re becoming fans and so are some of their subscribers. The views on these videos are telling... (granted it’s also a lot of fans of PJ). And, yes, I watched some of them. I was really curious. Lol In fact, I rejoined 10C after watching one. Lol
    JimmyV said:
    Yeah 270 degrees is definitely a sell
    out imho.  Seeing a band side stage or behind the stage is some serious dedication.
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:

I recall trying to get tix to Philly then and nothing was available?

whats up with OKC? IIRC there were still backstage available and they still did not open the full arena yet?
    I got an upper level facing the stage around 11:30 last night. It's not in a terrible spot for the 300's.
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • RF283499RF283499 Posts: 141
    smile6680 said:
    1. Less touring
    This is the right answer. But you should add that there is a booming economy and the live music business in general is way up. 
    JimmyV said:
    Not in any universe where MSG is an option
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    JimmyV said:
    Not in any universe where MSG is an option

Disagree. No band needs to open up rear stage seating. If you don't, and you sell all tickets, no one questions that it is a sellout. But if you sell all those same tickets and not some shitty rear stage seats it's not? I don't buy that.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    YAKIMATSU said:

Effectively 50,000 MSG tickets were already sold when I got on line, and I was there more than 10 minutes early like TM says to do.

Not sure I've ever heard that about a concert before 

Tickets in NY have always been a challenge 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    A sellout is a sellout. If a band doesn’t have enough demand to sell the crummiest seats, then no sellout imo.
  • YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 839
    YAKIMATSU said:

Effectively 50,000 MSG tickets were already sold when I got on line, and I was there more than 10 minutes early like TM says to do.

Sorry. I was responding to the OP. I was not ranking popularity. I was just trying to point out that they were extremely popular in 95.
    Soldier Field 7-11-95, Alpine Valley 6-26-98, United Center 6-29-98, Riverport Amphitheater (St. Louis)7-2-98, MGM Grand Arena 10-22-00, Sprint Center (Kansas City)5-3-10, Adams Event Center (Missoula)9-30-12, Wrigley Field 7-19-13, Jobing.com Arena (Phoenix)11-19-13, Moda Center (Portland)11-29-13, Spokane Arena 11-30-13, Pepsi Center (Denver)10-22-14, Gila River Arena (Phoenix)5-9-22, Moody Center (Austin)9-18-23, Moody Center 9-19-23, Rogers Arena (Vancouver)5-4-24, Rogers Arena 5-6-24, MGM Grand 5-16-24, MGM Grand 5-18-24, Wrigley Field 8-29-24, Wrigley Field 8-31-24
    YAKIMATSU said:
    YAKIMATSU said:

Sorry. I was responding to the OP. I was not ranking popularity. I was just trying to point out that they were extremely popular in 95.
    Thanks captain. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,951
    DewieCox said:
    on2legs said:
    DewieCox said:
    Think it has to do with a low supply and sporadic touring more than anything. 
    It is amazing that not putting out an album for 7 years and touring sporadically actually made them more popular tho.  
    I don’t really think their popularity has grown.
    That’s cool with me.  We can disagree. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

YAKIMATSU said:
    YAKIMATSU said:

I thought I was agreeing with you. They were always this popular. Alot if us have more resources to get tickets now also.

Bad wording on my part