Someone explain to me: When did Pearl Jam become this popular?!

Comments

• Don't forget about the RRHOF induction a couple years ago. That surely added fuel to the fire for some people...
  • mcgruff10 said:
    I mean the entire US/Canadian tour is pretty much sold out except for behind the stage.  What gives?  When did PJ become this popular again?  Was PJ the best kept secret for years?  I'm at a loss....
    I’ve been pondering this myself... I’ve always been a fan but didn’t really sink my teeth in until right before Riot Act came out, which to me was the lowest point of their mainstream/casual popularity.  I feel like on the self titled tour the the fan base grew a lot and continued to grow through PJ20... but the RNR HOF blew the door open for the casuals
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    mcgruff10 said:
    I mean the entire US/Canadian tour is pretty much sold out except for behind the stage.  What gives?  When did PJ become this popular again?  Was PJ the best kept secret for years?  I'm at a loss....
    I’ve been pondering this myself... I’ve always been a fan but didn’t really sink my teeth in until right before Riot Act came out, which to me was the lowest point of their mainstream/casual popularity.  I feel like on the self titled tour the the fan base grew a lot and continued to grow through PJ20... but the RNR HOF blew the door open for the casuals
    I do agree with you that the riot act era was their low point in terms of popularity.  The decline started with binaural then got even lower with riot act.  Self titled was a nice rebound.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • densandensan Posts: 563
    None of it makes sense. Never has been logical. I think some of the fans become fans when it is convenient for most of them. PJ is their flavor of the month type of thing. 
    It reminds me of back in the day. I openly liked Kiss, and people would call me names. Years later I discovered they were all putting the makeup on behind closed door.  
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • As a live act, they’ve been popular pretty much since 1992 Lollapalooza. My friends and I drove 7 hours from Long Island to Rochester to see them in ‘94 because getting tickets in NYC was impossible. Maybe it has ebbed and flowed over the years (what doesn’t), but demand for Pearl Jam live is not a new thing.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,322
    GUYS HOLD ON! This changes everything!!!

• ceskaceska Posts: 1,115
    As a live act, they’ve been popular pretty much since 1992 Lollapalooza. My friends and I drove 7 hours from Long Island to Rochester to see them in ‘94 because getting tickets in NYC was impossible. Maybe it has ebbed and flowed over the years (what doesn’t), but demand for Pearl Jam live is not a new thing.

yes, but once they started regularly playing major league stadiums/arenas and large amphitheaters with big lawns in 1998, it wasn't terribly hard to get tickets, either through 10C or TM. The band played large venues and played dozens of shows per tour in the 2000s. 2003 was what, 72 dates? More people have gotten shut out more regularly in the past decade especially the past few US tours.
  • YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 839
    More bang for your buck compared with an average show now. Who, besides Bruce, plays 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours? Besides festivals,  when do they play less than 30 songs?  Serious question?  Do other bands do that? 
    Soldier Field 7-11-95, Alpine Valley 6-26-98, United Center 6-29-98, Riverport Amphitheater (St. Louis)7-2-98, MGM Grand Arena 10-22-00, Sprint Center (Kansas City)5-3-10, Adams Event Center (Missoula)9-30-12, Wrigley Field 7-19-13, Jobing.com Arena (Phoenix)11-19-13, Moda Center (Portland)11-29-13, Spokane Arena 11-30-13, Pepsi Center (Denver)10-22-14, Gila River Arena (Phoenix)5-9-22, Moody Center (Austin)9-18-23, Moody Center 9-19-23, Rogers Arena (Vancouver)5-4-24, Rogers Arena 5-6-24, MGM Grand 5-16-24, MGM Grand 5-18-24, Wrigley Field 8-29-24, Wrigley Field 8-31-24
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    One thing that might explain some of the added ticket demand. Much of the fanbase is in that sweet spot in life (40's, etc.) where you tend to have the most expendable income.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,791
    JimmyV said:
    If it's only seats behind the stage, that is a sellout in my opinion.
    Not in any universe where MSG is an option
    It's how many tickets you put up. Smashing Pumpkins had behind the stage and the back blocked off. Sure they considered it a sell out
    I miss igotid88
  • Smarter_Than_USmarter_Than_U Posts: 515
    edited January 2020
    ceska said:
    As a live act, they’ve been popular pretty much since 1992 Lollapalooza. My friends and I drove 7 hours from Long Island to Rochester to see them in ‘94 because getting tickets in NYC was impossible. Maybe it has ebbed and flowed over the years (what doesn’t), but demand for Pearl Jam live is not a new thing.

yes, but once they started regularly playing major league stadiums/arenas and large amphitheaters with big lawns in 1998, it wasn't terribly hard to get tickets, either through 10C or TM. The band played large venues and played dozens of shows per tour in the 2000s. 2003 was what, 72 dates? More people have gotten shut out more regularly in the past decade especially the past few US tours.
    You may be right- I am one of the lucky ones I guess since I’ve always gotten tickets through 10c since 1998. I’ve been spared having to fight for tickets, so I am probably not dialed into the change in intensity. (I probably just jinxed myself.) And i will concede that GA tickets for MSG at $2,500 per ticket is cuckoo bananas. 

I suppose some thoughts are that you have now 3-4 generations fighting for tickets as opposed to just us Gen Xers. Plus inflation and massive wealth disparities. Also let’s not forget they are the last of the grunge royalty- “Gotta see them before Eddie croaks” or whatever stupid shit people think. 
    Post edited by Smarter_Than_U on
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • SJ54844SJ54844 Posts: 23
    I think Phish is the top touring band of the 2000s according to Forbes. I could be wrong though. 
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    Ever since Captain Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters broke up, their fan base gravitated over to PJ almost immediately. But don’t quote me, I could be wrong.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,533
    igotid88 said:
    JimmyV said:
    If it's only seats behind the stage, that is a sellout in my opinion.
    Not in any universe where MSG is an option
    It's how many tickets you put up. Smashing Pumpkins had behind the stage and the back blocked off. Sure they considered it a sell out
    My cryptic comment meant that they have 100,000 fans clamoring to sit behind the stage on the ISS while wearing an oxygen mask in NY.

That's the opportunity lost for one working day of their time. For them and fans. The black curtains are pretty. Likely OK will sell out.. with fans from the east willing to travel. It's so absurd it's like a cartoon 
    ceska said:

And i will concede that GA tickets for MSG at $2,500 per ticket is cuckoo bananas. 

How about $2,500 for row 22 in the 200s?

Hint, if standing, there is zero stage view.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,738
    edited January 2020
    SJ54844 said:
    I think Phish is the top touring band of the 2000s according to Forbes. I could be wrong though. 

Stones were the top act of 2000-2009 with U2 #2 and U2 were the top touring act of 2010-1019 with the Stones at #2. So its one of them.

Who has the most dedicated/craziest fan base: dmb, phish or pj?
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    mcgruff10 said:
    The Dead
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • jstu39jstu39 Posts: 145
    I agree with the theory of so few shows in the US over the last several years. It has helped drive demand. It seemed you could almost always get a show relatively close by every 2-3 years. Many of these markets haven’t seen a show in 7 plus years. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,213
    I had joined 10C the yr before so I was fortunate to get the letter offering me a chance for two tickets for the paramount show ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • JH81185JH81185 Posts: 17
    It’s also because they deliver the PASSION, TRUTH, and ENERGY every night on stage. 100% . 
    10/28/00 - San Bernardino - PJ
    10/28/03 - SB BOWL - PJ
    7/13/06 - SB BOWL - PJ
    4/10/08 - SB ARLINGTON - EV
    7/9/11 - SB BOWL - EV
    10/31/12 - LAS VEGAS - EV
    11/1/12 - LAS VEGAS - EV
    11/24/13 - LA SPORTS ARENA - PJ
    8/18/18 - WRIGLEY - PJ
    8/20/18 - WRIGLEY - PJ

Truth lol. Someone tell Mike the new albums done.
  • Would you say that by releasing an album they gain more fans or lose more fans?

seems what they are doing is incredibly correct. 
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    Is it really a surprise? I completely expected these to sell out quickly. It's not like it's a huge tour and it's the first shows in many of these areas in a long time.
    Would you say that by releasing an album they gain more fans or lose more fans?

seems what they are doing is incredibly correct. 
    Could be a wash, but I suspect fans “in limbo” (more casual fans) come back into the fold because there’s something new and there’s a tour to see, thus increased interest. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    Of those 3? Phish most dedicated. “Craziest”? PJ.

Outside of those 3? - Taylor Swift or Beyoncé fans.
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,071
    edited January 2020
    DMB wasn’t top money maker but top tickets sold. Can’t compete with bands that mine the deep wells of the boomer bank account like The Rolling Stones.

most dedicated fans? Phish. They can do a 13 show run at MSG, plan a festival with 80,000 in BFE and somehow they still exceed expectations often. DMB are the workhorses of the industry. They put out a pretty consistently great show year after year,  PJ are the closest thing our generation has to an active classic rock band that is still making the magic happen. I mean, last summer dished out some really good stuff from a band that’s quickly approaching 3 decades old.

https://www.pollstar.com/article/top-act-of-the-decade-dave-matthews-band-15177
    Post edited by KN219077 on
  • LYackyLYacky Posts: 72
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hands down the Grateful Dead. One of my very first concerts at 13 with my friend's parents who were die-hard Dead Heads. First time I ever smelled (and saw) marijuana too. lol Phish would be the only other comparable act I can think of with that kind of decades long cult following although Jimmy Buffett has his extremely devoted "Parrotheads". Beyoncé & Taylor Swift tho? Please. Maybe in another few decades. 
    LYacky said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hands down the Grateful Dead. One of my very first concerts at 13 with my friend's parents who were die-hard Dead Heads. First time I ever smelled (and saw) marijuana too. lol Phish would be the only other comparable act I can think of with that kind of decades long cult following although Jimmy Buffett has his extremely devoted "Parrotheads". Beyoncé & Taylor Swift tho? Please. Maybe in another few decades. 
    What sets Grateful Dead fans apart from the rest? @LYacky
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,071
    mcgruff10 said:
    LYacky said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    What sets Grateful Dead fans apart from the rest? @LYacky
    I’d say the fact that it’s a lifestyle as much as a fandom for many fans of GD, and maybe a lesser extent to Phish