Someone explain to me: When did Pearl Jam become this popular?!

mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
I mean the entire US/Canadian tour is pretty much sold out except for behind the stage.  What gives?  When did PJ become this popular again?  Was PJ the best kept secret for years?  I'm at a loss....
I'll ride the wave where it takes me......

Comments

• Don't think they are more popular but:
    - more tickets than ever were available in 10C/Presale
    - no real tour since 2016
    - new music
    - aging fan population with some disposable income and kids old enough that they can travel easier
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Everyone brings their kids to the shows now. More kids, more tickets sold
  • vzouzalvzouzal Posts: 202
    They always were....
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    vzouzal said:
    They always were....
    No tour has ever sold this fast since 98. 
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,394
    Everyone brings their kids to the shows now. More kids, more tickets sold
    Damn kids.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    mcgruff10 said:
    vzouzal said:
    They always were....
    Crazy too since they are really only hitting 1 of their top 5 markets. 
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,350
    Who are they even competing with at this point?

If you are in your 40's and were into 90's rock, who is left that is original members, has not either completely sold out (looking at you GNR),  is completely washed up, or is dead.

Also, they do a phenomenal job at not diluting their brand.  They only come out with new stuff once in a while, and tour like 30-40 shows bi-annually where every show is different and special in some way or another.  

Add in people taking their kids and all that, and you get where we are.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    vzouzal said:
    They always were....
    In your opinion What are their five markets ?

• vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 897
    The fact is Pearl Jam has reached “classic rock status” so basically you have people of all ages trying to get tickets.  Also, they are one of the last true rock bands that are still relevant in a live show prospective vs an aging band like Bon Jovi or Kiss who have become a parody of themselves and only play “the hits”.
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,071
    They’re not that popular, they just never tour so the demand is super high when they actually do. A band like DMB grinds out 50+ shows a year and has a decent amount of available seats at the regular venue type shows, if they toured as little as PJ the shows would also sell out in seconds.
  • Just hope that the album sucks, tickets will be easier to get if it blows.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    Not to mention, pj always delivers your money’s worth and then some. Playing for 2:30-3:00 is ridiculous for most bands. Yet PJ has made that their standard over the past decade.

KN219077 said:
    They’re not that popular, they just never tour so the demand is super high when they actually do. A band like DMB grinds out 50+ shows a year and has a decent amount of available seats at the regular venue type shows, if they toured as little as PJ the shows would also sell out in seconds.
    Yeah but DMB sucks.  PJ is one of the last bands to actually melt faces. 
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    They have a core group of die hard fans, this is first tour with new music in over 5 years.  I get what you're saying though.  When I put in for my vaca and mentioned my plans, my boss, who is my age, said, is that a band?  My PJ friends are spread all over the country, having met them at shows at some point or another.  That is who I make my plans with, not my local friends.  None of them are fans.  A few think it's awesome that I travel all over the country (or Canada) to see the same band and meet up with the same group of friends, but others I know "imagine" some kind of groupie thing.  They are people where music is not a big part of their life. They don't get it and that's ok.  It is mine.  I'm no groupie, I just love this band and my friends.  
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    edited January 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    vzouzal said:
    They always were....
    In your opinion What are their five markets ?

Seattle, Chicago, New York, Boston, Philly.

On the outside of that I would think top 10 would include. LA, Toronto, London, Amsterdam, and anywhere in Italy. 

What are you thinking? I am probably missing some. 
  • When I put in for my vaca and mentioned my plans, my boss, who is my age, said, is that a band?   
    No, really? Was this person not in North America during PJ's formative years?
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Posts: 2,550
    mcgruff10 said:
    vzouzal said:
    They always were....
    This is most likely incorrect 
    edited January 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    vzouzal said:
    They always were....
    Tell me a tour since 1998 that sold this quick.   
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,350
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    vzouzal said:
    They always were....
    Tell me a tour since 1998 that sold this quick.   
    I mean, all of the 7 Home/Road shows in 2018 sold out very quickly.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    edited January 2020
    I was just talking to my wife and daughter about this. I was like it’s not like Pearl Jam is Taylor Swift but right now they are and good for them. They deserve it. They are the best. 

And DMB fucking rules. Shame on the haters. Look past the hate for the band and the musicianship alone makes them unreal. Their fans are super passionate and DMB improvise and change setlists like PJ. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Look past the hate for the band and the musicianship alone makes them unreal. Their fans are super passionate and DMB improvise and change setlists like PJ. 
    Can't stand DM's voice but much respect to him and the band for all those reasons...
  • ceskaceska Posts: 1,115
    edited January 2020
    2010 was the first time I couldn't get tix to a show I wanted to go to through 10C or TM, and this was after going 4 for 4 in 2008 (Camden x2, MSG x2). 2013 was when things really started getting hard, but I did score tix to 3 shows (I think out of 4 that I tried for). 2016 was when I got shut out through 10C more than I got tix.

I should add, as others have said, multiple generations are now going to shows, and the core fan base has gotten older (and presumably wealthier) and may be willing to travel more often to more shows. Fewer shows per tour, more people interested, more demand from the hard core fanbase... it ain't going to get easier to get tix...
    Post edited by ceska on
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,268
    edited January 2020
    Definitely more popular. I’ve seen a slow increase over the last 20 years.
    I remember back in college (2000-2004) most of my friends considered them has-beens. They weren’t selling out in San Diego, and finding TM tickets to Vegas was easy. At my high school reunion old acquaintances I lost contact with were asking me “do you still like Pearl Jam? Are they even still together?” I got tickets to all 4 LA shows and the 1 San Diego show that year (2009) with no problem. I believe only 1 show was available via 10c at the time. Although they were now selling out in a day or two, it still wasnt hard to get tickets the day they went on sale.

My first show was 1998. I remember lining up outside the record store, getting a wristband. That show sold out in 28 minutes but was able to get tickets. The next time it was even a challenge to get tickets was PJ20. And almost every show since.

This will be only the second and third non-stadium shows I’ve attended since PJ20, so the limited number of shows also plays a factor.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    I was just talking to my wife and daughter about this. I was like it’s not like Pearl Jam is Taylor Swift but right now they are and good for them. They deserve it. They are the best. 

And DMB fucking rules. Shame on the haters. Look past the hate for the band and the musicianship alone makes them unreal. Their fans are super passionate and DMB improvise and change setlists like PJ. 
    Agreed DMB is awesome. The common denominator is that DMB and PJ both put on great live performances and switch it up every night. If PJ had one setlist that was repeated night after night, how many of us would chase them around the country? Probably very few. I’d see one show and be done. Instead, I’ll see 3 shows this Spring in 7 days and I’ll have 3 completely different experiences. That’s part of the draw in my opinion. And let’s not forget they’re the best band on the fucking planet. 
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,835
    mcgruff10 said:
    I mean the entire US/Canadian tour is pretty much sold out except for behind the stage.  What gives?  When did PJ become this popular again?  Was PJ the best kept secret for years?  I'm at a loss....
    Hey bro, just my opinion.  I really started to notice the difference after the PJ20 movie and tour in 2011.  After that it started to get more and more difficult to get tickets.  I believe that documentary was an eye opener for people that didn’t realize they were still around.  
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Good lord, let’s not make this a DMB thread please. 
  • LYackyLYacky Posts: 72
    vedpunk said:

KN219077 said:
    Yeah but DMB sucks.  PJ is one of the last bands to actually melt faces. 

• kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,613
    vedpunk said:
    You aren't really helping.
  • LYackyLYacky Posts: 72
    It's pretty juvenile in general to talk smack about other bands people might like beyond PJ. Hell several of my friend's, including my own husband(!) can't stand PJ but they don't bad mouth the band around me either and were happy for me that I finally managed to score tix this tour. Music is SO subjective and everyone's tastes are different. Yes we're all on this forum because we love PJ but we shouldn't disparage other people's taste in different music either. Just my two cents. 🤷‍♀️
    vedpunk said:
    That was your bad. I just picked the top touring band of the 2000’s and used them as an example of why PJ has an insane ticket demand