The coronavirus

Comments

• vaggar99vaggar99 Posts: 3,427
    vaggar99 said:
    Hey guys.  I've been away from AMT a while.  Anything new?  How's the world doing?
    Nothing new. Same shit different day.
    cool.  well, let me know when things are not so Great.  Back to my hole.
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited March 2020
    myoung321 said:
    dignin said:
    How is that comforting?

As many as 82 million Americans with employer-based coverage have a pre-existing condition, ranging from life-threatening illnesses like cancer to chronic conditions like diabetes, asthma, or heart disease.

How many without employer-based coverage????? 
    It’s comforting because it explains what otherwise appeared to be anomalous data from Italy, and knowledge is power. And for me, it’s comforting because it tells me that my otherwise healthy under-60 friends and family are probably going to be okay physically.
    I think you need to read the latest data...  How'bout your not so healthy friends or over 60 family? damn... 

Wake up.... it's not just "old" people 

Up to 20% of younger adults infected with coronavirus end up hospitalized, CDC says

https://news.yahoo.com/20-younger-adults-infected-coronavirus-001923791.html

Up to 1 in 5 younger adults in the U.S. infected with coronavirus wind up in the hospital, according to a new analysis by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC looked at more than 2,400 cases of COVID-19 in the United States over the past month in the analysis released Wednesday.

It found that coronavirus patients over 85 had the highest death rate with 10% to 27% dying from the disease. That’s similar to data from China that indicates a majority of deaths are in people over 60, according to the CDC.

It also echoes CDC warnings that older Americans are much more likely to get sicker.

For younger people, the CDC found between 14% and 20% of adults between the ages of 20 and 44 were hospitalized for coronavirus. About .1 to .2% died from the virus.

Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• rhanishanerhanishane Posts: 505
    Borders to Aus now closed to travellers that are not citizens. Bit late it's already here and spreading. Still won't shut schools when clearly social distancing is going in one ear and out the other. 3 people from my work went home sick with flu symptoms today and 3 more getting sick including both bosses. One boss is my brother and he never goes home sick but he was burning up with a temperature today. We hope it's just the normal flu but that's almost half of work down with sickness. I disinfected everything at work today and drew a line around my desk so no one came near me.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    I just got out of my GP's office and she reckons this will take 6 months and unless you are elderly and have a pre-existing condition there is no need to panic.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    I just got out of my GP's office and she reckons this will take 6 months and unless you are elderly and have a pre-existing condition there is no need to panic.
    Well if she reckons I guess its all okay then... !!
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    dignin said:
    How is that comforting?

As many as 82 million Americans with employer-based coverage have a pre-existing condition, ranging from life-threatening illnesses like cancer to chronic conditions like diabetes, asthma, or heart disease.

It’s comforting because it explains what otherwise appeared to be anomalous data from Italy, and knowledge is power. And for me, it’s comforting because it tells me that my otherwise healthy under-60 friends and family are probably going to be okay physically.
    I think you need to read the latest data...  How'bout your not so healthy friends or over 60 family? damn... 

Up to 20% of younger adults infected with coronavirus end up hospitalized, CDC says

Up to 1 in 5 younger adults in the U.S. infected with coronavirus wind up in the hospital, according to a new analysis by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC looked at more than 2,400 cases of COVID-19 in the United States over the past month in the analysis released Wednesday.

It found that coronavirus patients over 85 had the highest death rate with 10% to 27% dying from the disease. That’s similar to data from China that indicates a majority of deaths are in people over 60, according to the CDC.

It also echoes CDC warnings that older Americans are much more likely to get sicker.

For younger people, the CDC found between 14% and 20% of adults between the ages of 20 and 44 were hospitalized for coronavirus. About .1 to .2% died from the virus.

I’ve read it, thanks. Was referring to mortality rates not illness in my comments. I have the right to decide who I am most concerned about within my family and friends without your criticism of that, as do you with your loved ones. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Try being a mum that is ruining your child's life cause I can't allow sleep overs.. 6 months of that tween attitude would send anyone into a panic 🙄
    myoung321 said:
    Sorry for trying to alleviate panic on here.
    :relaxed:
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    myoung321 said:
    Sorry for trying to alleviate panic on here.
    :relaxed:
    No panicking here but it is starting to feel like bucketing water out of a sinking boat.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,624
    AND NOW THIS......

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,461
    mickeyrat said:
    Haha, we did that as kids, just not as gracefully
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,510
    Did the GOP just sign a death warrant for 6 million?

Republican Sen. Ron Johnson cast doubt on the severity of federally issued guidance aimed at staunching the spread of the novel coronavirus, urging people to consider the economic drawbacks of the recommendations

"I'm not denying what a nasty disease COVID-19 can be, and how it's obviously devastating to somewhere between 1 and 3.4 percent of the population," Johnson, a Wisconsin Republican, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Tuesday. "But that means 97 to 99 percent will get through this and develop immunities and will be able to move beyond this."

But we don't shut down our economy because tens of thousands of people die on the highways. It's a risk we accept so we can move about," 

It's just a bad version of the flu. My garbage man used to be a doctor and told me so while picking up my trash.

"
    between 1 and 3.4 percent" of 320 million is not measured in thousands, a$$hole GOP Senator. Try many millions. Go back to sniffing Trump's arse.
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    dignin said:
    How is that comforting?

I’ve read it, thanks. Was referring to mortality rates not illness in my comments. I have the right to decide who I am most concerned about within my family and friends without your criticism of that, as do you with your loved ones. 

But you are posting in a public forum and are appearing extremely callous that your under 60 friends and family with very treatable and normally minor conditions such as asthma and hypertension may be facing a lethal disease?

That comforts you?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,057
    edited March 2020
    Women living with violent men risk being severely affected by the corona crisis.
    Isolation and economic crisis can trigger violence - in China there are reports of a threefold violence in close relation.
    - The first thing I thought about what will happen to Swedish women who are exposed to domestic violence, says Izabelle Åman, 32, who herself says that she has been subjected to it.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,067
    So, guess we'll be closed until end of April and state give us 800 euros for 15 March-30 April..we get the money first ten days of April..
    pray for me until then..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..

Republican Sen. Ron Johnson cast doubt on the severity of federally issued guidance aimed at staunching the spread of the novel coronavirus, urging people to consider the economic drawbacks of the recommendations

"I'm not denying what a nasty disease COVID-19 can be, and how it's obviously devastating to somewhere between 1 and 3.4 percent of the population," Johnson, a Wisconsin Republican, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Tuesday. "But that means 97 to 99 percent will get through this and develop immunities and will be able to move beyond this."

But we don't shut down our economy because tens of thousands of people die on the highways. It's a risk we accept so we can move about," 

It's just a bad version of the flu. My garbage man used to be a doctor and told me so while picking up my trash.

"
    between 1 and 3.4 percent" of 320 million is not measured in thousands, a$$hole GOP Senator. Try many millions. Go back to sniffing Trump's arse.
    "my garbage man used to be a doctor....."

excuse me? if true its probably nota good idea to listen to that opinion.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    JPPJ84 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Haha, we did that as kids, just not as gracefully
    any videos?
    Women living with violent men risk being severely affected by the corona crisis.
    Isolation and economic crisis can trigger violence - in China there are reports of a threefold violence in close relation.
    - The first thing I thought about what will happen to Swedish women who are exposed to domestic violence, says Izabelle Åman, 32, who herself says that she has been subjected to it.
    Was reported on the news tonight. Police fear domestic violence cases will rise this year as a result of this isolation.
    edited March 2020
    mickeyrat said:

"between 1 and 3.4 percent" of 320 million is not measured in thousands, a$$hole GOP Senator. Try many millions. Go back to sniffing Trump's arse.

It was sarcasm. People getting a sense of security from doctors that they know socially who are not ID experts is not accurate information. 
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
    Anyone getting false comfort because covid "only happens to old people"

A member of the band we love, whose name is at the top of this page,  who is just 6 years from being in this high risk age category...

Also lives with well known ailment (that's been posted on porch historically), has talked about related incidents on stage during his career and this condition could affect immune system efficiency 

Anyone still going to post about how comforted they are in the covid pandemic?
    edited March 2020
    mickeyrat said:

"between 1 and 3.4 percent" of 320 million is not measured in thousands, a$$hole GOP Senator. Try many millions. Go back to sniffing Trump's arse.

It was sarcasm. People getting a sense of security from doctors that they know socially who are not ID experts is not accurate information. 
    oh so that was uour addition?

Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,057

A member of the band we love, whose name is at the top of this page,  who is just 6 years from being in this high risk age category...

Also lives with well known ailment (that's been posted on porch historically), has talked about related incidents on stage during his career and this condition could affect immune system efficiency 

- We have an exceptional situation in Sweden, but especially in Stockholm. That's because there are many people, many who have traveled, we are an international city and the situation is strained, ”says Anna König Jerlmyr, financial councilor and group leader (M) in Stockholm municipality, during a press conference.

At the same time, figures show that the youngest patient cared for on intensive care due to corona [in Sweden] is 27 years old - and the majority are men.

I'm not feeling comfort

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    dignin said:
    How is that comforting?

But you are posting in a public forum and are appearing extremely callous that your under 60 friends and family with very treatable and normally minor conditions such as asthma and hypertension may be facing a lethal disease?

That comforts you?
    Wow. Why in the world would you think that comforts them? What a ridiculous thing to say. 

You can be happy that if you and your love ones that do not have any underlying illnesses are more than likely going to be ok if and when you get this virus. That does not mean you do not care about any other stats or any other people any less. Why do I even need to explain this out loud? The link above is great news if true for a lot of people and should be posted since it debunks a lot of misinformation that has been spreading around a lot lately. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    For the first time since the outbreak began, there were zero new cases in Hubei Province (including Wuhan) today. Is this thing going to come back in waves over and over again in the months to come or is this going to be it until the fall/influenza season again for China? It is going to be very interesting to see how this plays out over there in the next couple of weeks/months. How much are they going to open things up again and when are they going to shut it all back down if they do get another wave. 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424

Does twisting words and tearing down any positive news or thoughts about this make  you feel better and  more woke? Mike’s not gonna send you a cookie. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,012
    edited March 2020
    DewieCox said:

Does twisting words and tearing down any positive news or thoughts about this make  you feel better and  more woke? Mike’s not gonna send you a cookie. 

What if that positive news is false though?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-19/coronavirus-in-young-people-is-it-dangerous-data-show-it-can-be

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    mace1229 said:
    Our next door neighbor, who is a nurse, told us today she is in self quarantine today pending test results due to an issue incident at work. 
    Sucks for all these healthcare workers.

I work in a supportive housing building and we had to stop non-essential program here.  all our food programs are on hold.  most staff are working from home.  the only people working right now are PSW and cleaners.  one of my cleaners has severe anxiety is having a very hard time right now.  he is reading so much information on the internet and becoming more and more anxious.  Its a pretty scary time here
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    DewieCox said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-19/coronavirus-in-young-people-is-it-dangerous-data-show-it-can-be

Easy to point out that out without a lecture, rubbing their nose in it and showing how much more they care about their loved ones than anybody else. Bringing Mike into it is odd to say the least.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327

please please tell me she didn't say that.  do not listen to her and maybe find a new doctor
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    DewieCox said:

What info in that article makes the original article false?

Both are from the same source also.
This discussion has been closed.