Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,066
    At this point im sure he is trying to get people triggered  and banned.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    At this point im sure he is trying to get people triggered  and banned.
    It certainly seems that way.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,839
    In actual covid-related news, Canada has hit a milestone of sorts - Canada has surpassed the US in vaccine doses administered per capita, at 99 per 100 people compared to the US's 98 per 100 people. The pattern of vaccine distribution continues to be different, with the US having 54% of the total population with at least one dose and 47% fully vaccinated, while in Canada it's 68% of the total population with at least one dose (77.5% of the eligible population, over 12s) and 31% fully vaccinated (35% of eligible population).

Internationally, UAE tops the charts with 156 doses per 100 people provided, Israel and Chile tied at 119 and the UK at 116 per 100. 

And of course there is a long list of countries who have vaccinated a very tiny percentage of their population, many of which are sub-Saharan African nations. The status of the Covax program is complicated and roll out has been fraught with problems, but may improve soon as the wealthier nations either get to their vaccine targets or find they have run out of people who want to be vaccinated. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Closer to home, in BC as of today masks are no longer mandatory in most situations indoors (though still required on public transit) but individual businesses can require masks. 
  • Options
    The UK is starting to plan for a booster vaccination program as early as September, targeted at the over-70s and immunocompromised individuals. It's not yet clear if this is even needed, but it's possible that immunity may wane by then in people without a robust immune system. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    mickeyrat said:
    yep masks do nothing.

I mean just look at last flu seasons numbers ffs.

jack shit for benefit..
    mic drop
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    gvn2fly1421gvn2fly1421 Posts: 935
    Everything I have read regarding the variants, the more variants the more contagious, however the less lethal. 

Is this an agreed upon stance here?
    So, 10 or so replies since this post and not one disagreement.  As the virus mutates, it becomes more contagious and less deadly.  Glad we all agree on that.

The question becomes, why is our President sending a message like this knowing it is false?

And why do we have a need for a response team for Delta?

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    Everything I have read regarding the variants, the more variants the more contagious, however the less lethal. 

So, 10 or so replies since this post and not one disagreement.  As the virus mutates, it becomes more contagious and less deadly.  Glad we all agree on that.

The question becomes, why is our President sending a message like this knowing it is false?

You really shouldn't take it that way.  Just people have learned to ignore you some.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

You really shouldn't take it that way.  Just people have learned to ignore you some.  
    +1
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,521

The struggle is real.
  • Options

If nobody responded at all, I would agree with you.  The problem is people responded directly to that post and di not question any of it, that variants are more contagious and less lethal.  Mickey, merky, meltdown (which he is appropriately named after that profanity laced tirade) and others all replied meaning I was not ignored.

I just hope y'all are all prepared for more lockdowns and more restrictions coming at the hands of the more contagious, less lethal delta variant.  Lambda is coming as well, and fast.  You heard it here first. 
  • Options
    The  delta is running  through our country  now at 20.000 a day. Mark my words  once it starts  there you all will see how  fast this is spreading im not saying vaccinate kids . 
    This is fast. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    The  delta is running  through our country  now at 20.000 a day. Mark my words  once it starts  there you all will see how  fast this is spreading im not saying vaccinate kids . 
    This is fast. 
    Right.  You are in the UK and as the study I linked on the last page states, out of 53,000+ unvaxxed people there were only 44 deaths.

So would you not want this strain running through the country in order to get to that herd immunity number, whatever it is?  Vax + antibodies = herd?  Or am I looking at this wrong?
  • Options
    Delta variant potentially more deadly, though given the lag between infection - hospitalizations - death it is too soon to tell. Early data suggests it may lead to up to 85% increase in need for hospitalization. 

• Options
    This is fast. 
    Right.  You are in the UK and as the study I linked on the last page states, out of 53,000+ unvaxxed people there were only 44 deaths.

So would you not want this strain running through the country in order to get to that herd immunity number, whatever it is?  Vax + antibodies = herd?  Or am I looking at this wrong?
    We are having about 150.000 confirmed cases  a week min. Atm. So that will add up to 150 deaths a week with those equations . So no i wouldn't  want that at all.  See what it adds upto? And with lag and  rapid increase  by a few  1000 a day each week . Its very bad
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    edited July 2021
    It will undoubtedly  cause carnage in the  USA.  With  your  low number of population  fully vaxxed and the speed its moving. Even one dose isn't  enough  and the time it takes to get max immunity  is to long  to make a difference  once it gets doubling like it is here. Imagine that on a 300 million  scale not a 60 million  population  like here.I dont get what you can't  see
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Oh and there is a delta  plus variant. A good mix of delta and south African one..that sounds like really bad news
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Remember  our numbers were down to negligible  only a month ago
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,649

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    This is fast. 

We are having about 150.000 confirmed cases  a week min. Atm. So that will add up to 150 deaths a week with those equations . So no i wouldn't  want that at all.  See what it adds upto? And with lag and  rapid increase  by a few  1000 a day each week . Its very bad
    Again, maybe I am missing or something or my math is funky or whatever, but by the numbers you mention, 150,000 cases with 150 deaths puts the chance to survive at 99.9%.  A quick google hit of "UK Covid" seems to suggest what you are saying, rising cases but the deaths are not following, nor are the hospitalizations.  Obviously, no one wants any death.  Ever.  But after what we have went through the past year, do these numbers not suggest this is nowhere near as bad as the original?
  • Options
    Oh and there is a delta  plus variant. A good mix of delta and south African one..that sounds like really bad news
    Actually, there is Lambda right there in your homeland.  But again, knowing what we think we know about viruses mutating, this seems to not be as bad as the news makes it out to be.  I think anyway until someone can convince me otherwise.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210629/lambda-covid-variant-discovered-in-uk

‘Lambda’ COVID Variant Discovered in UK

By Dejania Oliver
    photo of coronavirus

June 29, 2021 -- A new coronavirus variant that has infected thousands in South America has now been discovered in the UK.

• Options
    This is fast. 

Again, maybe I am missing or something or my math is funky or whatever, but by the numbers you mention, 150,000 cases with 150 deaths puts the chance to survive at 99.9%.  A quick google hit of "UK Covid" seems to suggest what you are saying, rising cases but the deaths are not following, nor are the hospitalizations.  Obviously, no one wants any death.  Ever.  But after what we have went through the past year, do these numbers not suggest this is nowhere near as bad as the original?
    No.

First, given time lags between infection, hospitalization and deaths you can’t look at mortality data now and conclude that it “is nowhere as bad as the original”. 

Second, improvements in mortality and morbidity are mostly due to improved knowledge about effective vs ineffective treatments rather than a less dangerous form of the virus. 

Your conclusions are incorrect. 
  • Options
    Pointless 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Will also add that the benefits of improved treatments in hospital are lost if the health care system gets overwhelmed again and those treatments can’t be provided. 
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,774
    edited July 2021
    There are significant symptoms that can remain even after recovering from Covid. I wouldn't wish that on anyone and I sure wouldn't want to feel the symptoms. Their lives are changed, maybe forever? We just don't know enough yet. Lastexitlondon, how is the hospital situation there from those numbers? I hope it doesn't get like before. Stay safe all.

What are the long term effects of COVID-19?
    As more and more people in the U.S. recover after COVID-19 infection, physicians and researchers have noticed a trend: Some COVID-19 survivors experience long-lasting fatigue, lung problems, joint pain, brain fog and other symptoms.May 19, 2021

https://www.hackensackmeridianhealth.org/HealthU/2021/05/19/how-covid-19-affects-kids-long-term/

added...
    Oh, and I'll listen to the medical community for information on a medical condition, not other "experts" who may have other motives to downplay what could affect our lives and health and the health of our families. It's those pesky underlying conditions again I keep thinking about too. We've had enough death.
    Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    This is fast. 

No.

First, given time lags between infection, hospitalization and deaths you can’t look at mortality data now and conclude that it “is nowhere as bad as the original”. 

Second, improvements in mortality and morbidity are mostly due to improved knowledge about effective vs ineffective treatments rather than a less dangerous form of the virus. 

So when can the data start to be observed to tell how bad this variant will be?  According to the WHO (which at this point who the hell knows who to believe), the Delta variant was first found in India in October of 2020.  https://www.who.int/en/activities/tracking-SARS-CoV-2-variants/
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,521
    Kat said:

Oh, and I'll listen to the medical community for information on a medical condition, not other "experts" who may have other motives to downplay what could affect our lives and health and the health of our families. It's those pesky underlying conditions again I keep thinking about too. We've had enough death.
    This. 
  • Options
    This is fast. 

No.

So when can the data start to be observed to tell how bad this variant will be?  According to the WHO (which at this point who the hell knows who to believe), the Delta variant was first found in India in October of 2020.  https://www.who.int/en/activities/tracking-SARS-CoV-2-variants/
    That’s irrelevant when you are putting forth data from the UK, though. But I think you know that. 
  • Options
    The hospital  admissions are rising. Deaths  25 roughly  a day
     Which is lower.  But its early.  We have a lot of fully vaxxed
     And some are still getting it.  Where i live  cases  doubled this week. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,568
    This is fast. 

I'm going to do this one last time. The other issue isn't the actual Covid numbers and deaths. It's the fact that hospitals can be overwhelmed with Covid patients such that if you were to get into a car accident or have a heart attack or need surgery you might die while waiting for space in a hospital.

You don't want to get vaccinated or your kids.
    That's  great
    But If someone in your family gets sick and dies,  or infects some else and they die, that is on you.

Good luck

Darwinism is at play
This discussion has been closed.