The coronavirus

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,580
    Zod said:
    What I don't get is if this is successful, and closing everything down slows it down... doesn't this mean we'll be dealing with it for month and months?  So many decisions are for 2 weeks to 6 weeks... but it would seem if those actions work, it could go on a very long while.. of which I wonder how long it can go on for before people go nuts.
    Despite my many hours working at a health library, I'm not a health care expert but here's what makes sense to me:

It's all about flattening the curve as a measure to slow the infection rate down.  This is hugely important right now because there just aren't enough health care workers or health care resources to deal with a high curve.  A "hihg curve" means a lot of people getting sick at the same time.  Social distancing and isolating lowers the curve meaning fewer people being sick at the same time.  Yes, that does mean a longer curve/ longer time, but with less people sick at the same time allowing health services to keep up with the need for care.  There are several videos about this on line.  Easy to find with Google and the concept makes a lot of sense.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

bbiggs said:
    dignin said:

Go to Your Local Pub': While Experts Call for Social Distancing, Rep. Devin Nunes Advises People to Leave Their Homes

https://time.com/5803470/devin-nunes-coronavirus-covid-19/
    This shit is so irresponsible, it makes my blood boil. These are the messages that are brain-washing people (I know some personally) into thinking this is no big deal. Haven’t been this pissed off at the political mess this country is in quite some time. Fucking embarrassing. 

You nailed it, b!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:

Go to Your Local Pub': While Experts Call for Social Distancing, Rep. Devin Nunes Advises People to Leave Their Homes

https://time.com/5803470/devin-nunes-coronavirus-covid-19/

Because Nunes says so.  Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.  Got it.  :lol: 
    This virus obviously makes it easier to spot idiots. 

Last night the Governor of Oklahoma tweeted from a resturant with his kids encouraging people to get out... Then deleted it, today he declared state of emergency after positive tests starting popping up at the Universities and those cities declared emergencies..  - ... assclown....
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    brianlux said:
    Zod said:
    What I don't get is if this is successful, and closing everything down slows it down... doesn't this mean we'll be dealing with it for month and months?  So many decisions are for 2 weeks to 6 weeks... but it would seem if those actions work, it could go on a very long while.. of which I wonder how long it can go on for before people go nuts.
    Despite my many hours working at a health library, I'm not a health care expert but here's what makes sense to me:

It's all about flattening the curve as a measure to slow the infection rate down.  This is hugely important right now because there just aren't enough health care workers or health care resources to deal with a high curve.  A "hihg curve" means a lot of people getting sick at the same time.  Social distancing and isolating lowers the curve meaning fewer people being sick at the same time.  Yes, that does mean a longer curve/ longer time, but with less people sick at the same time allowing health services to keep up with the need for care.  There are several videos about this on line.  Easy to find with Google and the concept makes a lot of sense.

Good article here with cool animations explaining

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

Why outbreaks like coronavirus spread, exponentially and how to “flatten the curve”
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    Went to shop rite tonight around 9 pm to avoid the crowds.  Got pretty much everything g except Bread was pretty much wiped out.  Toilet paper and paper towels:

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    Saltzy23 said:
    The hospital I work in just canceled all elective surgeries till April 18th..
    Who decides if a surgery is considered elective or not?

Seriously.

Is it just anything that is not considered life and death?
    Not sure but it has to be from the top chief of operations I’d say, will get more info tomorrow 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    Another Republican Deplorable.  Former Congressman and Lt. Governor of Florida.

His vacation was ruined!

CM189191 said:
    brianlux said:
    Zod said:

Good article here with cool animations explaining

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

Why outbreaks like coronavirus spread, exponentially and how to “flatten the curve”

Good example, CM.  I saw that on another site and it does explain well.  The moving graph with all the little balls floating around made my vertigo brain a little wonkie- wish I could watch it longer- looks pretty cool. 

But yeah, good illustration.

Smellyman said:
    Another Republican Deplorable.  Former Congressman and Lt. Governor of Florida.

His vacation was ruined!

Wow- no shit!  The another creep come crawling out of the woodwork!

California's ski industry is getting pounded too.  Heavenly, Kirkwood, Sugar Bowl, Squaw Valley, Big Bear, Mammouth- holy crap- all the great ones had to shut down (makes sense though) - and just when we are finally getting lots of great snow.  A tough break for our ski folks.

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Is there a point in the crisis where the decision will have to be made to return to normal even at the expense of people at risk to the virus.  How long can people be expected to sit and take financial hits? I don’t mean stock market swings I mean people actually not getting paychecks. I have zero faith that the government will take care of the long term financial needs of the people if this stretches out too long.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    static111 said:
    Is there a point in the crisis where the decision will have to be made to return to normal even at the expense of people at risk to the virus.  How long can people be expected to sit and take financial hits? I don’t mean stock market swings I mean people actually not getting paychecks. I have zero faith that the government will take care of the long term financial needs of the people if this stretches out too long.  

Excellent question, static.  There are a number hypotheses out there about the economic consequences.  I think the hardest thing about this is that just don't know.  My wife (and later I) went to work this morning at the bookstore and at the end of the day we found ourselves going home to self quarantine- hoping to stay well- and suddenly, at the very least, temporarily out of jobs (and she owns half the business!)  Will the store stand?  We hope to scrape by,but who knows?  My poor wife is suddenly in deep thinking about where it's going for us and for her employees, and our book community. 

Fucking crazy shit's happening.

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    DONALD TRUMP: I've been briefed on every contingency you could possibly imagine. Many contingencies. A lot of positive. Different numbers, all different numbers. Very large numbers. And some small numbers, too, by the way.

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • rhanishanerhanishane Posts: 505
    edited March 2020
    brianlux said:
    Zod said:

For this exact reason they are not closing Australian schools but practicing social distancing. My daughter came home today and said they are not allowed to touch each other and all ball sports and contact games are banned. All assemblies and gatherings banned and staggering lunchtimes to limit contact. Also mainly keeping them open to keep kids in one place instead of in the community and to keep health care workers in their jobs. If anyone tests positive at school then they will shut that school down. They like America are trying curve the spike but NSW alone is now at 171 and they have tested thousands today so expect a lot more in coming days. They are saying it will escalate quickly so expect more bans within days. States are declaring a health emergency one by one which gives them power to shut down anything they want. Bans are increasing state by state by the hour with new rules enforced. Anyone breaching the 14 day isolation rule when landing in Australia will be hit with massive fines and jail time with each state differing punishment.
    Post edited by rhanishane on

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Saltzy23 said:
    Seeing that Vegas is closed and they are shutting down all NYC restaurants except for pick up and delivery just put a shiver down my spine.

This is fucking surreal.

You haven’t seen anything yet
    "he who forgets-will be destined to remember"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,059
    The government presents a historic crisis package on Monday to protect jobs and businesses in the country. The measures may amount to as much as SEK 300 billion.

The government is introducing, among other things, a new system for short-term work where the cost to the companies is reduced by more than half, but the employees are allowed to retain 90 percent of the salary.

The government also announces that the state now takes over the full sick pay costs from the companies for two months.

"It is incredibly important that those who feel ill stay at home," says Liberals' economic policy spokesman Mats Persson.

The measure is expected to cost several billions each month.

Companies should also be given the right to postpone the payment of tax for up to one year. It can provide up to 300 billion in reinforcement to the companies.

- This is a unique situation for the Swedish economy, says Magdalena Andersson.

"We want today's message that as many companies as possible should go through this crisis," she continues.

The government has already announced that it will be delayed on waiting day and will be responsible for sick pay on the first day of sick leave. New legislation has also been introduced for short-term work, in order to avoid large-scale notification.

According to the finance minister, there is no doubt that what we now see will have major consequences for the economy. Economists have warned that the corona crisis may be the worst economic downturn since the depression in the 1930s.

- It is clear that the corona virus will have significant negative effects on jobs and the economy and many of them we already see, says Magdalena Andersson.

- It's just as well to be clear, Sweden has a heavy and stressful time ahead of us.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,071
    The government presents a historic crisis package on Monday to protect jobs and businesses in the country. The measures may amount to as much as SEK 300 billion.

The government is introducing, among other things, a new system for short-term work where the cost to the companies is reduced by more than half, but the employees are allowed to retain 90 percent of the salary.

The government also announces that the state now takes over the full sick pay costs from the companies for two months.

"It is incredibly important that those who feel ill stay at home," says Liberals' economic policy spokesman Mats Persson.

The measure is expected to cost several billions each month.

Companies should also be given the right to postpone the payment of tax for up to one year. It can provide up to 300 billion in reinforcement to the companies.

- This is a unique situation for the Swedish economy, says Magdalena Andersson.

"We want today's message that as many companies as possible should go through this crisis," she continues.

The government has already announced that it will be delayed on waiting day and will be responsible for sick pay on the first day of sick leave. New legislation has also been introduced for short-term work, in order to avoid large-scale notification.

According to the finance minister, there is no doubt that what we now see will have major consequences for the economy. Economists have warned that the corona crisis may be the worst economic downturn since the depression in the 1930s.

- It is clear that the corona virus will have significant negative effects on jobs and the economy and many of them we already see, says Magdalena Andersson.

- It's just as well to be clear, Sweden has a heavy and stressful time ahead of us.
    My restaurant is closed for at least 2 weeks..waiting our government to announced help..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,071
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Posts: 1,019

NOPE

"While gargling some combination of warm water, salt, and vinegar has long been used as a means of relieving symptoms related to colds and flus, such as sore throats, there’s no evidence that it can help ward off or drive out infections from the COVID-19 coronavirus disease. And although the virus is said to replicate in the nose and nasal secretions, we’ve found nothing documenting the notion that the current coronavirus “remains in the throat for four days” and can be effectively expelled at the conclusion of that time period to keep it from reaching the lungs. (The incubation period for this virus, which is the time between when a person is exposed to the virus and when they start showing symptoms, has been estimated at about five days on average.)

The World Health Organization’s (WHO) website offers a page offering COVID-19 coronavirus disease advice for the public which addresses the substance of this rumor in an item about rinsing nasal passages (which are connected to the throat) with saline:

There is no evidence that regularly rinsing the nose with saline has protected people from infection with the new coronavirus.

There is some limited evidence that regularly rinsing the nose with saline can help people recover more quickly from the common cold. However, regularly rinsing the nose has not been shown to prevent respiratory infections."

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,059
    I thought that image was posted as a joke...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Saltzy23 said:
    Seeing that Vegas is closed and they are shutting down all NYC restaurants except for pick up and delivery just put a shiver down my spine.

This is fucking surreal.

You haven’t seen anything yet
    In times like this you really can't believe everything you see on the internet.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331

Why Italy was hit so hard and so fast by COVID-19

Lessons learned from Italy's pandemic as death toll reaches 1,800

Life or death decisions

All the hospitals in Northern Italy are stretched to the breaking point. Health-care workers are totally exhausted, themselves terrified of contracting the virus and passing it on to their own families. Ventilators are the only thing that will keep the sickest patients alive, and there may not be enough to go around. Doctors have been put in the agonizing position of deciding who lives and who dies.

The elderly, and those with complicating medical conditions, might be sacrificed.

"If you have to choose between a 75-year-old person and a 20-year-old person, who are you going to choose? Obviously, it's the person with the higher expectation of life," Casani said.

"So there will be a moment that an anesthesiologist will have to take off the respirator from this 75-year-old guy and give it to the 20-year-old. And, this will be a horrible choice for the doctors, but obviously necessary."

Effectively that means that some people are being left to die because it's not possible to treat everybody," says Professor Yascha Mounk of Johns Hopkins University in Washington, D.C..

He has studied the ethical dilemmas of what used to be considered "battlefield medicine."  

"I mean, I can only imagine how psychologically devastating it must be for the doctors and nurses involved. They are already at great danger to themselves, working around the clock, in an extreme situation, seeing many people die and now you add on top of that the psychological stress of having to look at a patient and say I'm not going to be able to do anything for you. It's hard to fathom.

There have been over 1,800 COVID-19 deaths in Italy as of Sunday, out of 24,747 cases. That's the highest mortality rate of any country, even above China, which has 3,200 deaths to 81,000 cases

Mounk thinks Canadians should not be reassured by the much lower number of deaths so far in Canada. 

"My message to Canadians is that many countries around the world have thought something about them makes them less susceptible to this virus than others, and that has proven wrong in every case."

"Canadians are not miraculously exempt from dying from this disease," he adds, "and not miraculously exempt from seeing it spread in exponential fashion."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/why-italy-was-hit-so-hard-and-so-fast-by-covid-19-1.5498650
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,350
    My apartment is an 8 minute walk from where I live, and I am going completely stir crazy.

I'm going in.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    Saltzy23 said:
    My apartment is an 8 minute walk from where I live, and I am going completely stir crazy.

I'm going in.
    Crazy is right

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    It would sure be nice if people stopped posting misinformation and conspiracy theories. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    It would sure be nice if people stopped posting misinformation and conspiracy theories. 
    Yes please.
  • RenfieldRenfield Posts: 1,054

Is this also from your father’s hairdresser?

• You know, for someone with such thin skin you seem to really invite some strong rebukes, posting total bullshit like this.
    I will curb what should be a perfectly acceptable response to this shenanigans, since I know you cannot take it.
    Cut the shit out, dude.  You are antagonizing at the wrong time.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
This discussion has been closed.