The coronavirus

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,316
    tish said:
    Cincy,

Looking at the mortality/age/pre-existing condition charts: the numbers at Hopkins site (accessed March 14) are identical to mid-February charts.

Edit: deleting web link to medical journal as data is based on older outbreaks.
    thanks
    hippiemom = goodness
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,461
    Has any other country put a specific ban on prostitution? Because Germany just has. It’s a nobrainer really but it just stood out for me. Apart from that we’re shutting down as well, not even playgrounds remain open. Only thing still missing is a curfew
    JPPJ84 said:
    Has any other country put a specific ban on prostitution? Because Germany just has. It’s a nobrainer really but it just stood out for me. Apart from that we’re shutting down as well, not even playgrounds remain open. Only thing still missing is a curfew
    Ummmm....the US already has a ban on it.  It is normally stupid, but now seems like a good idea!
    hippiemom = goodness
    JPPJ84 said:
    Ummmm....the US already has a ban on it.  It is normally stupid, but now seems like a good idea!
    Had to look it up but it’s legal here. Lots of rules and laws though 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,059
    edited March 2020
    JPPJ84 said:
    In general or because of the virus? 

In Sweden it is illegal to buy sex. But not to sell it. In general. 

So prostitution is (de facto) illegal in Sweden. As it should be. And that has not changed because of the virus. Haha.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    JPPJ84 said:
    In general or because of the virus? 

In Sweden it is illegal to buy sex. But not to sell it. In general. 

So prostitution is (de facto) illegal in Sweden. As it should be. And that has not changed because of the virus. Haha.

Because of the virus. I didn’t read the whole law so there might be something tricky like that here as well. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945

I'm trying not to over react, but it's hard not to based on reports coming out of Italy.

Add to that the U.S. Surgeon General's comments today.  "When you look at the projections, there's every chance that we could be Italy."

Scary stuff.  The time to act is now.  Unless the entire U.S. gets on board and practices "social distancing," it appears we have a good idea of what our fate can become.
  • PapPap Posts: 28,733
    Clean Hands Handwashing GIF by St John Ambulance
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    edited March 2020
    I am hearing that stores are going to be limiting quantities of certain items to prevent hoarding.  Good idea.

Our local Kroger wasn't too bad this morning.  Some stuff looked low but there was still plenty to eat there.
    Limiting the quantities of items is already happening on the westside of Cleveland. Trader Joes has a limit of one dozen eggs per customer. My local grocery store put limits on the quantity of water, laundry detergent, cleaning productions, paper towels, etc. that each customer can purchase.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,405
    I am hearing that stores are going to be limiting quantities of certain items to prevent hoarding.  Good idea.

Our local Kroger wasn't too bad this morning.  Some stuff looked low but there was still plenty to eat there.
    Limiting the quantities of items is already happening on the westside of Cleveland. Trader Joes has a limit of one dozen eggs per customer. My local grocery store put limits on the quantity of water, laundry detergent, cleaning productions, paper towels, etc. that each customer can purchase.
    As it should be....people just get insane.  Like if the zombie apocalypse comes they will have clean clothes and bottoms.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,633
    still a bad thing or.........?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    The toilet paper industry gonna be shook in a month when everyone stops buying toilet paper for like a year.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:
    Another Republican Deplorable.  Former Congressman and Lt. Governor of Florida.

His vacation was ruined!

Wow- no shit!  The another creep come crawling out of the woodwork!

California's ski industry is getting pounded too.  Heavenly, Kirkwood, Sugar Bowl, Squaw Valley, Big Bear, Mammouth- holy crap- all the great ones had to shut down (makes sense though) - and just when we are finally getting lots of great snow.  A tough break for our ski folks.

Never thought I’d hear someone refer to Big Bear as one of “the great ones”
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    JPPJ84 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Had to look it up but it’s legal here. Lots of rules and laws though 
    I think it varies by state and county. Most states and counties ban it, but not all. I think it’s legal in Vegas (or one of the neighboring suburbs). Don’t care enough to look up where prostitution is legal to provide a link though.

Anyone else find this insanely hypocritical? I mean guns and walls come to mind 
    hippiemom = goodness
    The toilet paper industry gonna be shook in a month when everyone stops buying toilet paper for like a year.
    Ummm .... maybe not. Most of these people are home a lot more now. Not using work or school TP. So the companies that make the better TP might be just fine. Now those that make the industrial sandpaper TP? They are hosed.
    hippiemom = goodness

Anyone else find this insanely hypocritical? I mean guns and walls come to mind 
    I find about 98% of all political cartoons, from both sides, to be hypocritical.
    mickeyrat said:
    It’s been all over the news here... fuck off, Trump. Exclusive vaccine for just one country, wth
    havent read much in here, but cruising through al jazeera app saw a story about a day in the life in the refugee camps.

hadnt considered them before in all this hysteria.  how bad do you think it gets in places such as that? have seen zero reporting of any cases in the camps.

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,388
    edited March 2020
    We have open borders in Canada to US, but Canada is closing our borders to ALL foreign nationals. US can enter for now, as can diplomats and Canadian citizen's families. 
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    edited March 2020
    mickeyrat said:
    Weird this doesn't show up here until now.

This has been news here in Sweden.

Sympathetic behaviour by Trump.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    $1000 bucks isn’t doing much if we are out of work for potentially months
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    Charming 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,416
    Kat said:

my god.  this is just irresponsible and evil.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659
    pjhawks said:
    Kat said:

my god.  this is just irresponsible and evil.
    Yes it is
    And when you support evil in any way, shape,  or form, including voting, that makes you evil as well.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,580
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:
    Another Republican Deplorable.  Former Congressman and Lt. Governor of Florida.

His vacation was ruined!

Wow- no shit!  The another creep come crawling out of the woodwork!

California's ski industry is getting pounded too.  Heavenly, Kirkwood, Sugar Bowl, Squaw Valley, Big Bear, Mammouth- holy crap- all the great ones had to shut down (makes sense though) - and just when we are finally getting lots of great snow.  A tough break for our ski folks.

Never thought I’d hear someone refer to Big Bear as one of “the great ones”

I was just talking in generalities.  Most of those ski resorts are first-rate.  I don't ski any more but at one time or another I've done most of them and they truly are fine places for skiing.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

This discussion has been closed.