Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    https://apple.news/AdzfhqJddRb6V_xuuEJdOxw

Just in case anyone is really interested in going to Lolla 2021 but on the fence about vaccination - get vaccinated in Chicago on June 26 and get a free day pass. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,237

Just in case anyone is really interested in going to Lolla 2021 but on the fence about vaccination - get vaccinated in Chicago on June 26 and get a free day pass. 
    Only if you’re from Chicago.
  • Options

Only if you’re from Chicago.
    Yes, perhaps I should have specified that but I assumed it was a given that people were not going to travel to Chicago for vaccination and then again for a show. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Wow.  Canada has fully vaccinated 1.8 million…look out.  We are run by buffoons…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    Wow.  Canada has fully vaccinated 1.8 million…look out.  We are run by buffoons…

aside from those how many have 1 dose?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

aside from those how many have 1 dose?
    64% of the total population has had at least one shot, the second highest in the world. Definitely something to be upset about :lol: 
  • Options
    Some people will complain about anything. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    We will be near 75% fully vaccinated in August. Do you not think that will be a great achievement? It is like you know the next couple of months we will be hammering down on our second shots and you want to get this one last jab (get it jab lol) in before you know whats about to happen in our country way ahead of what you predicted. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    you don't have a hot clue. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Some suggestion that the delta variant may present with a different symptom constellation, more like a typical cold with runny nose and headache, compared to what we have come to expect with cough, fever and loss of taste and smell. This might lead people to think they just have a regular cold and not isolate or get tested. 

https://apple.news/A676qKtNIQW2dbWcyyEOglQ
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,963
    Also mimicking hay fever  which is rife atm
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166

What would you have done?  We were a country that had no capacity to make vaccines.   That's the fault of multiple/consecutive federal governments.   It's not something you can bring back online over night.  It takes a few years to build that out.

Thus our only option was buying vaccines.   Our government seemed to put in big orders everywhere.  Trying to see what would actually show up.   Now 75% over people over 12 have their first shot, and now everyone's getting their second.

Given the circumstances I would say we're doing pretty good.   We're fairing a lot better than many other places.

I would hope that the government continues to build it's announced vaccine facilities, so that if this ever happens again, we can ramp up production even faster.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    Got my second dose today. NB will open up on Jun 21st for anyone that wants a second dose can book it. From the start they have said by September anyone that wants the vaccine can get it by then. Well that has moved up to June and the floodgates are opening up this summer for those that want to get it. Walk in clinics will be open and by August we will most certainly be as close to as good as it gets for how many people are going to get their shots. 
  • Options
    Zod said:

What would you have done?  We were a country that had no capacity to make vaccines.   That's the fault of multiple/consecutive federal governments.   It's not something you can bring back online over night.  It takes a few years to build that out.

Thus our only option was buying vaccines.   Our government seemed to put in big orders everywhere.  Trying to see what would actually show up.   Now 75% over people over 12 have their first shot, and now everyone's getting their second.

Given the circumstances I would say we're doing pretty good.   We're fairing a lot better than many other places.

I would hope that the government continues to build it's announced vaccine facilities, so that if this ever happens again, we can ramp up production even faster.
    The complainers have no answer for what they would have done instead, just some hand-waving that suggests vaccines would have magically appeared in large (but not too large!) quantities if another party had been in power. 

It's also interesting to look back at where those pre-orders are at now. Only Pfizer, Moderna and AZ have come through, with Moderna inconsistent in supply and AZ of course with its own problems. Janssen got approved but never distributed due to suspected contamination. As for the other three, some may be approved at some point, and who knows, they could become important to ongoing management of the virus in Canada, but they did not come through in this initial crunch. It really proves that the "eggs in different baskets" approach that the complainers mocked was the right call. I hope that we donate any excess that we have contracted for to the rest of the world. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    Only 1 Covid death in the last week.  That is truly amazing.
  • Options

Only 1 death where?
  • Options
    Results coming in from a study of about 30,000 testing Novavax suggests it is highly effective and safe. Unfortunately, not likely to be available until the fall. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/novavax-covid19-drugs-vaccines-coronavirus-pandemic-1.6064682
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Only 1 death where?
    United States

Edit: The chart was for my county.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options

Only 1 death where?
    United States

there was 101 just yesterday alone. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    385 daily deaths in the us on average  for the past week.  Seeing the 1 death on the chart I was really excited but that was only for the county I live in.
  • Options

Only 1 death where?
    United States

there was 101 just yesterday alone. 
    You missed my edit...
  • Options
    Results coming in from a study of about 30,000 testing Novavax suggests it is highly effective and safe. Unfortunately, not likely to be available until the fall. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/novavax-covid19-drugs-vaccines-coronavirus-pandemic-1.6064682

The company says it plans to seek authorization for the shots in the U.S., Europe and elsewhere by the end of September and be able to produce up to 100 million doses a month by then.

"Many of our first doses will go to low- and middle-income countries, and that was the goal to begin with," Novavax Chief Executive Stanley Erck told The Associated Press.

that's excellent news

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

The company says it plans to seek authorization for the shots in the U.S., Europe and elsewhere by the end of September and be able to produce up to 100 million doses a month by then.

"Many of our first doses will go to low- and middle-income countries, and that was the goal to begin with," Novavax Chief Executive Stanley Erck told The Associated Press.

that's excellent news

Would be more excellent if it was next month - the world needs those doses now. But good news regardless. 
  • Options
    88% of Canadian recently polled online say they want to be vaccinated, most ASAP, and rates of vaccine hesitancy are dropping.

About 70% want vaccine doses prioritized for Canadians before we share with any other country. That's a tough one; it's both understandable but also feeds into inequities and is going to prolong the pandemic for everyone.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2021/06/14/vast-majority-of-canadians-want-vaccinations-asap-according-to-angus-reid-poll.html
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    88% of Canadian recently polled online say they want to be vaccinated, most ASAP, and rates of vaccine hesitancy are dropping.

About 70% want vaccine doses prioritized for Canadians before we share with any other country. That's a tough one; it's both understandable but also feeds into inequities and is going to prolong the pandemic for everyone.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2021/06/14/vast-majority-of-canadians-want-vaccinations-asap-according-to-angus-reid-poll.html
    Can we export our stupid people to you,  please?
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited June 2021
    mrussel1 said:

I don't think they have room for more than 100 million people. Too bad Trump couldn't get us Greenland.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I was thinking more that we would send our remaining anti-vaxxers to you, where they would fit right in.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    mrussel1 said:

I was thinking more that we would send our remaining anti-vaxxers to you, where they would fit right in.
    What about some sort of safe refuge for anti-vaxxers? Anti-Vax Island or something.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:

What about some sort of safe refuge for anti-vaxxers? Anti-Vax Island or something.
    That place is known as Mississippi.  (Lowest percent vaccinated)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    mrussel1 said:

hey hey hey. beiber and nickleback werent enough?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
This discussion has been closed.