Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691

Can you mix and match COVID-19 vaccines?
    By MARIA CHENG
    1 hour ago

Can you mix and match two-dose COVID-19 vaccines?

It's likely safe and effective, but researchers are still gathering data to be sure.

The authorized COVID-19 shots around the world are all designed to stimulate your immune system to produce virus-fighting antibodies, though the way they do so varies, noted Dr. Kate O’Brien, director of the World Health Organization’s vaccine unit.

“Based on the basic principles of how vaccines work, we do think that the mix-and-match regimens are going to work,” she said.

Scientists at Oxford University in the United Kingdom are testing combinations of the two-dose COVID-19 vaccines made by AstraZeneca, Moderna, Novavax and Pfizer-BioNTech. Smaller trials are also ongoing in Spain and Germany.

“We really just need to get the evidence in each of these (vaccine) combinations,” O’Brien said.

So far, limited data suggests an AstraZeneca shot followed by the Pfizer shot is safe and effective. The combination also appears to come with a slightly higher likelihood of temporary side effects like aches and chills.

That might be because mixing and matching different types of vaccines can often produce a stronger immune response, said Lawrence Young, a virologist at the University of Warwick in the United Kingdom.

In some places, health officials already suggest mixing in select circumstances.

After the AstraZeneca vaccine was linked to extremely rare blood clots, several European countries including Germany and France recommended people who got it as a first dose get a Pfizer or Moderna shot as a second dose instead. On Thursday, Canada made the same recommendation.

Some places like Britain say people should aim to get the same vaccine for their second dose if possible. If they got AstraZeneca as their first shot, they're advised to get another vaccine only if they have a history of blood clots or other conditions that might put them at higher risk of clots.

___

The AP is answering your questions about the coronavirus in this series. Submit them at: FactCheck@AP.org. Read more here:

Why do some people get side effects after COVID-19 vaccines?

Can COVID-19 vaccines affect my period?

How long does protection from COVID-19 vaccines last?

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mickeyrat said:

Can you mix and match COVID-19 vaccines?
    By MARIA CHENG
    1 hour ago

Can you mix and match two-dose COVID-19 vaccines?

It's likely safe and effective, but researchers are still gathering data to be sure.

The authorized COVID-19 shots around the world are all designed to stimulate your immune system to produce virus-fighting antibodies, though the way they do so varies, noted Dr. Kate O’Brien, director of the World Health Organization’s vaccine unit.

“Based on the basic principles of how vaccines work, we do think that the mix-and-match regimens are going to work,” she said.

Scientists at Oxford University in the United Kingdom are testing combinations of the two-dose COVID-19 vaccines made by AstraZeneca, Moderna, Novavax and Pfizer-BioNTech. Smaller trials are also ongoing in Spain and Germany.

“We really just need to get the evidence in each of these (vaccine) combinations,” O’Brien said.

So far, limited data suggests an AstraZeneca shot followed by the Pfizer shot is safe and effective. The combination also appears to come with a slightly higher likelihood of temporary side effects like aches and chills.

That might be because mixing and matching different types of vaccines can often produce a stronger immune response, said Lawrence Young, a virologist at the University of Warwick in the United Kingdom.

In some places, health officials already suggest mixing in select circumstances.

After the AstraZeneca vaccine was linked to extremely rare blood clots, several European countries including Germany and France recommended people who got it as a first dose get a Pfizer or Moderna shot as a second dose instead. On Thursday, Canada made the same recommendation.

Some places like Britain say people should aim to get the same vaccine for their second dose if possible. If they got AstraZeneca as their first shot, they're advised to get another vaccine only if they have a history of blood clots or other conditions that might put them at higher risk of clots.

___

The AP is answering your questions about the coronavirus in this series. Submit them at: FactCheck@AP.org. Read more here:

Why do some people get side effects after COVID-19 vaccines?

Can COVID-19 vaccines affect my period?

How long does protection from COVID-19 vaccines last?

I'm one week out from my second dose of two different vaccines. All good here.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,627
    At this point,  with a normal ass president,  I pretty much hope it came from the lab.  That would benefit the US geopolitically,  galvanizing other countries to take a harder line against China.  
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mrussel1 said:
    At this point,  with a normal ass president,  I pretty much hope it came from the lab.  That would benefit the US geopolitically,  galvanizing other countries to take a harder line against China.  
    Why? We have the same types of labs here. There’s one in Boston. There’s one in Richmond. 

Perhaps other countries should take a harder line against building these types of labs in metropolitan areas. 

When Bainbridge, Oppenheimer, and the rest of those “sons of bitches” experimented with their weapons of mass destruction, they did so in the middle of a goddamn desert. 

But let’s fuck with biological weapons of mass
    destruction in Boston, Wuhan, Atlanta, Richmond, Winnipeg, Rome, San Antonio, Taipei, etc. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,580
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Why? We have the same types of labs here. There’s one in Boston. There’s one in Richmond. 

Perhaps other countries should take a harder line against building these types of labs in metropolitan areas. 

When Bainbridge, Oppenheimer, and the rest of those “sons of bitches” experimented with their weapons of mass destruction, they did so in the middle of a goddamn desert. 

destruction in Boston, Wuhan, Atlanta, Richmond, Winnipeg, Rome, San Antonio, Taipei, etc. 
    You forgot this gem.

https://www.dhs.gov/science-and-technology/plum-island-animal-disease-center
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

I'm not making that argument.  The virus happened.  So if we can box China in on a number of issues like currency manipulation,  human rights,  trade,  then all the better.  
  • Options
    as long as all ppe protocols are followed as to threat level of a given virus, it can be beneficial to do these studies.

Recall reading how some of the techs were working  on this virus or one like it in a lab space with much less stringent protocols. like level 2 when they should have been in a level 4 lab? all suited up etc etc.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

scared the shit out of me when I found out there was one near my house, and the controversy over the couple that worked there, travelled to wuhan in the summer of 2019, and were dismissed from their jobs shortly after and no one will say why. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

scared the shit out of me when I found out there was one near my house, and the controversy over the couple that worked there, travelled to wuhan in the summer of 2019, and were dismissed from their jobs shortly after and no one will say why. 

could possibly be they objected to the type labs being used for some of the viruses...

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

could possibly be they objected to the type labs being used for some of the viruses...

you're right, I never considered something like that. it was just the succession of events that was reported, then the secrecy, my mind naturally went to "were they involved in this somehow?"
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472
    That and the news suggested they may not be charged so evidence doesn't become public record.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Canada now expects to have 69 million doses of vaccine by the end of July, more than enough to vaccinate everyone over the age of 12, which moves up our expected timeline to complete full vaccination for everyone who wants it by two months. This is largely due to increased commitments of Moderna in the next 6 weeks. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-vaccine-doses-end-july-1.6071473

Oh no, what will the complainers find to complain about once this vaccine campaign has been successfully delivered?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Countdown has started here in Alberta. All restrictions will be gone by July 1st, Canada Day.

By then we might have around 75% with first dose and 40 to 50% with second dose.

I'm confident we will be okay, but only time will tell. Tough not to feel confident after watching packed crowds at sporting events in the US with little to no repercussions.
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    dignin said:
    Countdown has started here in Alberta. All restrictions will be gone by July 1st, Canada Day.

By then we might have around 75% with first dose and 40 to 50% with second dose.

I'm confident we will be okay, but only time will tell. Tough not to feel confident after watching packed crowds at sporting events in the US with little to no repercussions.
    Good luck! BC is more cautious, despite our laid back stoner reputation :lol: . But we are doing very well with vaccinations and I expect we'll get to that happy place eventually too. We already have more than 75% of those eligible vaccinated (over 12s) and are working hard on second doses. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    dignin said:

Good luck! BC is more cautious, despite our laid back stoner reputation :lol: . But we are doing very well with vaccinations and I expect we'll get to that happy place eventually too. We already have more than 75% of those eligible vaccinated (over 12s) and are working hard on second doses. 
    Nice work BC! You guys are kicking our ass in first doses. But no big surprise with our large rural population. Our cities are doing great though. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,742
    edited June 2021

While we are a small province we are doing great with vaccinations imo. The first dose is now only going up 0.2% daily so we are as close to as good as it gets there but the second dose is going up over 1.5% a day. It was 1.7% yesterday alone the highest count yet. At this rate we will be double vaxxed and above 75% in 33 days. Incredible and hope all of those that got a first shot get a second. I am definitely worried there especially with people only getting one dose due to the summer incentives from it. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I can book my app for my second dose on my Monday…yeah.  I want see guns and roses in Detroit…the border has to open 1st.  Let’s hope it opens July 21 and I can still get tickets…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Unvaccinated Buffalo Bills Player Blasts NFL COVID Protocols: “I’d Rather Die Actually Living”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/06/unvaccinated-cole-beasley-blasts-nfl-covid-protocols.html?via=rss
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    second dose done
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    second dose done
    Awesome!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531

Unvaccinated Buffalo Bills Player Blasts NFL COVID Protocols: “I’d Rather Die Actually Living”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/06/unvaccinated-cole-beasley-blasts-nfl-covid-protocols.html?via=rss
    Jackass arguments.  
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,490
    Have you made AZ and you want to see Springsteen??
    No no no...
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519

Cole Beasley is unsmart.

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    23scidoo said:
    No no no...
    Actually its yes yes yes

SPRINGSTEEN ON BROADWAY Will Allow Guests Vaccinated With FDA or WHO Approved Vaccine (broadwayworld.com)
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,490
    Poncier said:
    23scidoo said:
    No no no...
    Actually its yes yes yes

SPRINGSTEEN ON BROADWAY Will Allow Guests Vaccinated With FDA or WHO Approved Vaccine (broadwayworld.com)
    News change every day 🙂🙂
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,488

That can be arranged, just keep acting like the virus is not a big deal and eventually you might get your wish.  
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    23scidoo said:
    No no no...
    Actually its yes yes yes

Just more proof that the fake China virus is no worse than a cold, but we can thank Trump's Operation Warp Speed for saving humanity from this deadly plague.  Without him, we would not have had the greatest economy ever, which Biden has trashed in 6 months because Democratic cities all over the country are burned to the ground. 
  • Options

That can be arranged, just keep acting like the virus is not a big deal and eventually you might get your wish.  
    It’s just a matter of time.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822

Lucky for him most of the rest of us are protecting him.

"Id rather die actually living?"  What does this even mean?  In what way does the vaccination stop someone from "actually living?" It's not like being afraid of traffic collisions and never going anywhere. In fact, for most of us it's what's enabling us to "actually live." This makes less sense than other nonsensical nonsense like "god is my vaccination." Geez. Just say "MAGA" and move on.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
This discussion has been closed.