The coronavirus

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,745
    mrussel1 said:
    US is 50% adult fully vaxed.  That feels pretty solid.  I really like the 5 lottery drawings that Ohio is offering, a million each to induce vaxes.  Really great idea by a Republican Gov that has managed the pandemic very well.  I think the under 18 population vax levels will be very high.  There's a strange cultural thing happening where teens are pressuring each other to get it done and it's a point of pride. Good for them. 

ohio also is offering 5 full ride scholarships along with mil drawings
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    mrussel1 said:
    US is 50% adult fully vaxed.  That feels pretty solid.  I really like the 5 lottery drawings that Ohio is offering, a million each to induce vaxes.  Really great idea by a Republican Gov that has managed the pandemic very well.  I think the under 18 population vax levels will be very high.  There's a strange cultural thing happening where teens are pressuring each other to get it done and it's a point of pride. Good for them. 

As per the NYT table, 50% first dosed and 40% fully vaccinated of the total population (yes, I know you specified "adult"). Getting there but not where it needs to be. I'm also glad that teens seem to be taking up the vaccines in high numbers, since they are a potential reservoir of infection. Fingers crossed that the data in under-12s looks good and we can see kids vaccinated soon. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/covid-vaccinations-tracker.html
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,651
    mrussel1 said:
     I think the under 18 population vax levels will be very high.  There's a strange cultural thing happening where teens are pressuring each other to get it done and it's a point of pride. Good for them. 
    From what I've seen, teenagers are handling this thing far better than a lot of adults.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
     I think the under 18 population vax levels will be very high.  There's a strange cultural thing happening where teens are pressuring each other to get it done and it's a point of pride. Good for them. 
    From what I've seen, teenagers are handling this thing far better than a lot of adults.
    Regardless of background and left/right, I'd guess teenagers are far less likely to be watching/reading shit that that radicalizes them into "own the libs above all" mode. Also, the impact of distancing is probably worse for them then it is us old folks, so they're probably doing all they can to end this. I don't think any of them want the pandemic to go on for a long time (whereas I think the OAN-watchers actually kind of do).

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,303
    Good luck, 'Murica. From Letter from an American:

As of today, 50% of adult Americans are fully vaccinated against Covid-19, and on May 24th, the seven-day average of new cases was the lowest it has been at any point since last June. But those numbers are driven by the vaccinated part of the population. Among those who are unvaccinated, the rate of disease and death is estimated to be as high as it was in late January. 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834

As of today, 50% of adult Americans are fully vaccinated against Covid-19, and on May 24th, the seven-day average of new cases was the lowest it has been at any point since last June. But those numbers are driven by the vaccinated part of the population. Among those who are unvaccinated, the rate of disease and death is estimated to be as high as it was in late January. 
    Zero fucks left to give.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    mrussel1 said:
     I really like the 5 lottery drawings that Ohio is offering, a million each to induce vaxes. 
    I, on the other hand, can't even put into words how much I hate this. 
    Why?  According to Dewine, vaccines spiked 45% since he announced it.  Shots to young people spiked 90+% with the 15 full rides.  This seems like the best use of $5MM that I could think of. 
    mrussel1 said:

As per the NYT table, 50% first dosed and 40% fully vaccinated of the total population (yes, I know you specified "adult"). Getting there but not where it needs to be. I'm also glad that teens seem to be taking up the vaccines in high numbers, since they are a potential reservoir of infection. Fingers crossed that the data in under-12s looks good and we can see kids vaccinated soon. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/covid-vaccinations-tracker.html
    Yes, getting there.  I don't know if it will get much over 60% adult population...maybe 65% but I'd like to be surprised.  I feel good though personally.  I traveled last week and did several social events/dinners for work.  I feel great.  Almost everyone I talked to was vaccinated.  
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
     I really like the 5 lottery drawings that Ohio is offering, a million each to induce vaxes. 
    Why?  According to Dewine, vaccines spiked 45% since he announced it.  Shots to young people spiked 90+% with the 15 full rides.  This seems like the best use of $5MM that I could think of. 
    i'm on the fence about paying people to buy into public health. and the implications of it. won't that just fuel the anti-vaxxer movement even further? like enticing a mouse into a trap with cheese. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    i'm on the fence about paying people to buy into public health. and the implications of it. won't that just fuel the anti-vaxxer movement even further? like enticing a mouse into a trap with cheese. 
    I think it pulls the straddlers off the fence.  The people who say... yeah I'll probably get it at some point.  Anti-vaxxers are unreachable.  This goes after the people that haven't prioritized it. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,651
    dankind said:

Zero fucks left to give.
    Pretty much.
    Aside from the folks who can't take the vaccine due to allergies or other medical reasons, not going to have much sympathy for anyone who refuses it and ends up getting ill as a result.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I think it pulls the straddlers off the fence.  The people who say... yeah I'll probably get it at some point.  Anti-vaxxers are unreachable.  This goes after the people that haven't prioritized it. 
    i'm sure it does do that in the short term, to a certain degree. I know anti-vaxxers are unreachable, but I think that it might push some on the fence the wrong direction. 

not to mention next time around everyone is going to wait until they announce the reward for getting (insert public health measure). "I got my shot already before you offered this incentive, where's my reward for being responsible?"

it's like bribing your kid to do his chores, chores he is supposed to be already doing. it's lazy parenting/governing. I understand the implications of it, and we're thinking "it's only this once", but this sort of thing always bleeds into other, not so once-in-a-lifetime situation. 

www.headstonesband.com

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,426
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    i'm sure it does do that in the short term, to a certain degree. I know anti-vaxxers are unreachable, but I think that it might push some on the fence the wrong direction. 

not to mention next time around everyone is going to wait until they announce the reward for getting (insert public health measure). "I got my shot already before you offered this incentive, where's my reward for being responsible?"

it's like bribing your kid to do his chores, chores he is supposed to be already doing. it's lazy parenting/governing. I understand the implications of it, and we're thinking "it's only this once", but this sort of thing always bleeds into other, not so once-in-a-lifetime situation. 
    So since we see an increase in vaccinations after these programs were rolled out what exactly would you suggest to see these same increases without the program? Educating and pushing the vaccine can only go so far. 
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,692
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Our health insurance company has the incentive of getting a $25 Amazon gift card to get the flu vaccine every year. I get a shot and can buy stuff.
    PJNB said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

So since we see an increase in vaccinations after these programs were rolled out what exactly would you suggest to see these same increases without the program? Educating and pushing the vaccine can only go so far. 
    honestly, I don't know the solution. I'm just saying financial incentives for public health make me a bit nervous. 

www.headstonesband.com

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Our health insurance company has the incentive of getting a $25 Amazon gift card to get the flu vaccine every year. I get a shot and can buy stuff.
    and that's such a no brainer financially for the insurance companies.  The flu shot is dirt cheap but Tamiflu and treating the flu is not cheap.  
    I get private companies doing that. But the government?

www.headstonesband.com

But what's the difference really?  I don't get why you think it's bad that there is a lottery for getting a vaccine.  If we're worried about the next emergency authorization, I'd argue that people getting the shot now, that were on the fence, will give them more confidence in the future.  It's not going to be... "well I"m not getting a vax unless I'm entered in teh lottery". 
    mrussel1 said:
    But what's the difference really?  I don't get why you think it's bad that there is a lottery for getting a vaccine.  If we're worried about the next emergency authorization, I'd argue that people getting the shot now, that were on the fence, will give them more confidence in the future.  It's not going to be... "well I"m not getting a vax unless I'm entered in teh lottery". 
    the government paying people to get a vaccine erodes trust in the vaccine. 

and as to your last statement? I can guarantee there are going to be people that got it in good faith that are pissed they don't get the "reward", and will hesitate the next time around. 

www.headstonesband.com

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    As someone who works in the public health system in Canada I have no issue with providing incentives for vaccination. I would rather our government spends a modest amount of money to encourage people to take up important public health measures than a huge amount of money paying for treatment and cleaning up the messes. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    mrussel1 said:
    I'm holding out still for the trip to Hawaii...
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,490
    As someone who works in the public health system in Canada I have no issue with providing incentives for vaccination. I would rather our government spends a modest amount of money to encourage people to take up important public health measures than a huge amount of money paying for treatment and cleaning up the messes. 
    This 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    I'm not concerned about the spending. I'm concerned about the possible erosion of public trust in public health measures that this could cause. 

www.headstonesband.com

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,692
    FEMA money is already being used for COVID education and advertising for the vaccines and for reimbursing local health departments for expenses incurred due to COVID. Offering incentives isn't that far of a reach. Plus with the amount of people on Medicare and Medicaid, the government might as well be an insurance company. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes they are. DeWine had done a great job followed up by caving to lobby groups. Still, overall not bad.

while I’m registered for it, I’m not a fan of the $1 million give away.

I am super in support of the scholarship giveaway. Personally think they should have used the $5 million from the other lottery to pay for even more scholarships. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes they are. DeWine had done a great job followed up by caving to lobby groups. Still, overall not bad.

while I’m registered for it, I’m not a fan of the $1 million give away.

I am super in support of the scholarship giveaway. Personally think they should have used the $5 million from the other lottery to pay for even more scholarships. 
    i'm sure you'll be a fan if you win. lol

www.headstonesband.com

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:

Zero fucks left to give.
    Pretty much.
    Aside from the folks who can't take the vaccine due to allergies or other medical reasons, not going to have much sympathy for anyone who refuses it and ends up getting ill as a result.
    Same here. 
    mrussel1 said:
    the government paying people to get a vaccine erodes trust in the vaccine. 

and as to your last statement? I can guarantee there are going to be people that got it in good faith that are pissed they don't get the "reward", and will hesitate the next time around. 
    Why does it erode trust?  I don't get that connection and it's not supported by the spike in vaccines since they announced the incentives.  Second, anyone who is pissed that they didn't get a million dollars is kind of insane.  Are they pissed every Saturday when they don't win 40 million?
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    edited May 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Hey I said I can't put into words. I guess I'll try for the sake of conversation though...

A MILLION DOLLARS??? For five people who don't give a fuck about their own health enough to protect it? No rewards for all of us who just got the vaccine without complaining about it of course. 

I'm of the belief that to hell with people that don't want to get the vaccine. They can catch the virus and deal with it. Or maybe they won't catch the virus, which would be even better. But if the vaccine doesn't stop the spread of the virus, why are we begging people to get the vaccine? To protect themselves? Fuck 'em. 

But even if I supported incentives (which isn't the worst idea), A MILLION FUCKING DOLLARS? A million dollars. I can't believe anybody would support this. I hope the five people that win the million are MAGA-flag waving idiots that held out on getting the vaccine because Biden wanted them to get it, were enticed by this stupid lottery that you really like, and then rub it in all our faces that they got rich doing the exact same thing millions of us already did. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    I think it's a bit odd for government entities to spend money to give financial incentives. But I think I like it because government intervenes when the market fails. The market is failing (thanks to right-wing "news," etc.) and to improve public health, governments are spending money. It's probably more cost-effective than most government initiatives (in terms of a difficult-to-quantify benefit per dollar spent).

I also assumes it upsets a lot of conservatives.  I should not care about that, but I like it.

The potential downside I see isn't eroding trust in the vaccine but expectations of "getting stuff" for vaccinating and doing anything for the greater good. Could that lead to people "holding out" next time around? (I suppose the hope is the opposite will happen; people will figure out the vaccine is safe and minimally impactful and do it unprompted next year).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
This discussion has been closed.