The coronavirus

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,583
    bbiggs said:
    brianlux said:
    I'm feeling hopeless and doomed.  My wife wants to keep working at the bookstore.  We don't need the money- we're already semi-retired  can get by without it until this things settles down.  She has kept some engagements like going out to lunch with a friend yesterday and again out to breakfast with a friend this morning.  I keep trying to explain to her that being in our late 60's we are more at risk and that it makes sense for us to be more strict in social distancing.  She thinks we are not at risk.  Right.  I feel like I have a gun with 10 chambers to my head and all but one is loaded.  Spin the cylinder.  See if I get lucky.  What a life.
    That’s a bummer, Brian. Hopefully you guys can find a common ground approach. I think this thing has a lot of people confused on what behaviors and measures should be taken and it becomes even tougher when there are two adults in a household that view it differently. I’m going through some of that at home as well. It’s not fun. Keep your head up, stay healthy and this too shall pass. 

Yeah if you are not on the same page you need to make her stay in the guest house.
    Jk.  ;)
    That sucks but I am sure this is happening a lot.
    Hope you can both work to get on the same pages with your sos.

Thanks guys.  I'm chilling at home today.  I usually work Saturdays but not today, no fuckin' way.  Maybe not anymore at all unless it's after hours to tidy up the place a bit.  Maybe not even then.  It might be time for me to say, "Fuck work", haha.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:
    brianlux said:
    I'm feeling hopeless and doomed.  My wife wants to keep working at the bookstore.  We don't need the money- we're already semi-retired  can get by without it until this things settles down.  She has kept some engagements like going out to lunch with a friend yesterday and again out to breakfast with a friend this morning.  I keep trying to explain to her that being in our late 60's we are more at risk and that it makes sense for us to be more strict in social distancing.  She thinks we are not at risk.  Right.  I feel like I have a gun with 10 chambers to my head and all but one is loaded.  Spin the cylinder.  See if I get lucky.  What a life.
    That’s a bummer, Brian. Hopefully you guys can find a common ground approach. I think this thing has a lot of people confused on what behaviors and measures should be taken and it becomes even tougher when there are two adults in a household that view it differently. I’m going through some of that at home as well. It’s not fun. Keep your head up, stay healthy and this too shall pass. 

Yeah if you are not on the same page you need to make her stay in the guest house.
    Jk.  ;)

Thanks guys.  I'm chilling at home today.  I usually work Saturdays but not today, no fuckin' way.  Maybe not anymore at all unless it's after hours to tidy up the place a bit.  Maybe not even then.  It might be time for me to say, "Fuck work", haha.
    Haha. That’s the ticket! I can’t hang ‘em up just yet, but luckily I can work from home until this passes. Now I just need to reel my wife in or I might as well be out and about right along with her. 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,469
    brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:
    brianlux said:

Jk.  ;)

Stay home brian. We all are  here .  Its a very scary unprecedented times.  This is opening up in high speed . The situation is changing  by the day for the worst here. Cases in my vilage now and we are unwell and waiting to see if this is it! Love to you bri. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,388
    edited March 2020
    Mr.Lux  

Maybe you could DM matt from the porches closed thread. He has fantastic prevention tips, including on how to use plastic to make a "safe" room. Getting a squirt bottle with 1 part bleach to 9 part waters and spraying down common, often touched items frequently. Separate bathrooms if possible. Wash, wash, wash and tissues easily accessible if she gets a cough.

Sorry.

Maybe there is someone asides from you she would listen to?

• mrussel1 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Wow. A bunch of business people who have done things solving problems rather the bureaucrats who have done nothing stumbling about worried about saying the right thing. What a breath of fresh air.  
    Everything he does is the most basic, bottom of the barrel shit any jerkoff on the street could think of, which in his mind he thinks is genius level stuff.

Get CEO's from major companies talk about how they got this for 15-20 seconds each.

Absolute brilliance.

This man is one of the greats.
    Having worked with HHS, CMS and other Government Agencies, the competency of the people is 10 times what the previous Administration was.  They have a clue what health is as opposed to the prior administration (which I 'm sure was common with most administrations) had a bunch of bureaucrats that were just learning and had no clue how to get anything done.

I'm not talking about the figure heads. I'm talking about the people actually doing the work.

So, feel free being happy and wishing illness and death. You will be proven wrong. Sorry to make you unhappy.
    No offense, you're full of crap. The 'people who actually doing the work' are career employees not appointments, therefore they rarely change from administration to administration.  
    Leadership matters. You are correct.  I should have been more specific. But, I've seen the same people acting and reacting completely different freed up from the prior bureaucratic think tank leaders and more business minded, get it done attitude rather than worrying about making people feel better or themselves look better.     

Leadership matters. Same workers, different guidance.   So, your point is correct, and I was remiss in being more specific in my comments. Thank you for helping me out there.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    tish said:
    Mr.Lux  

Maybe you could DM matt from the porches closed thread. He has fantastic prevention tips, including on how to use plastic to make a "safe" room. Getting a squirt bottle with 1 part bleach to 9 part waters and spraying down common, often touched items frequently. Separate bathrooms if possible. Wash, wash, wash and tissues easily accessible if she gets a cough.

Sorry.

Thanks, Tish.

I don't think she will listen to anyone else.  Maybe God in a burning bush, but I haven't seen him (or her) around lately.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    edited March 2020
    brianlux said:
    tish said:
    Mr.Lux  

Sorry.

Thanks, Tish.

I don't think she will listen to anyone else.  Maybe God in a burning bush, but I haven't seen him (or her) around lately.
    You're not alone. Me and my wife also have different risk assessments, but we're managing through open communication.

I'm not a paranoid person at all, but I have gotten a few "are you serious" responses from her these past few days.

But generally most of what I have predicted (based on listening to experts) has come to pass. So she listens.

Our major problem is we have two young kids to entertain. And those kids need to get out and about for everyones sanity.

Infected people without symptoms might be driving the spread of coronavirus more than we realized

By Elizabeth Cohen, Senior Medical Correspondent

Updated 3:32 PM ET, Sat March 14, 2020

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/14/health/coronavirus-asymptomatic-spread/index.html

Smart virus.

U.S. Virus Response Marred by Overconfidence and Delays

Despite reassurances, testing has been limited and health officials are contradicting White House statements.

By 
    Margaret Newkirk

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-12/u-s-coronavirus-response-was-marked-by-overconfidence-delays
    dignin said:
    brianlux said:
    tish said:
    Mr.Lux  

Sorry.

Thanks, Tish.

You're not alone. Me and my wife also have different risk assessments, but we're managing through open communication.

I'm not a paranoid person at all, but I have gotten a few "are you serious" responses from her these past few days.

But generally most of what I have predicted (based on listening to experts) has come to pass. So she listens.

Our major problem is we have two young kids to entertain. And those kids need to get out and about for everyones sanity.

Getting them (and you and your wife) for fresh air is probably a good idea.  I should probably do the same!

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Thank goodness my husband and I are of similar minds and exercising common sense through this shitstorm. It feels like anything else is s counterproductive for us. 
  • chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Posts: 696
    No matter how cold the winter......

https://youtu.be/SDSStJ9I754
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,515
    brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:
    brianlux said:

Jk.  ;)

Hang in there Brian. It’s been pretty crazy with the fires and now this for you. My wife and I had a similar disagreement, ours about our child’s school a few days ago. I just had to let it go, this situation is messing with everybody’s minds.  I was the only one who thought it was absurd to cancel PJ, NBA, NCAA, NHL but the schools stay open , with hundreds of kids piling thru the security at the front door, cafeterias and rest rooms cross contaminating. They finally canceled for Monday to assess next steps but I doubt they’ll reopen Tuesday  . It’s a blessing the kids appear safe so far, but are probably carriers.

Just a totally effed up situation.

brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:
    brianlux said:

Jk.  ;)

Hang in there Brian. It’s been pretty crazy with the fires and now this for you. My wife and I had a similar disagreement, ours about our child’s school a few days ago. I just had to let it go, this situation is messing with everybody’s minds.  I was the only one who thought it was absurd to cancel PJ, NBA, NCAA, NHL but the schools stay open , with hundreds of kids piling thru the security at the front door, cafeterias and rest rooms cross contaminating. They finally canceled for Monday to assess next steps but I doubt they’ll reopen Tuesday  . It’s a blessing the kids appear safe so far, but are probably carriers.

Thanks, Lerxst.  You and yours hang in there too!

dignin said:

Infected people without symptoms might be driving the spread of coronavirus more than we realized

By Elizabeth Cohen, Senior Medical Correspondent

Updated 3:32 PM ET, Sat March 14, 2020

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/14/health/coronavirus-asymptomatic-spread/index.html

Smart virus.

after more than two months to study what happened in China and prepare, the trump administration got it completely wrong. For it to spread so quickly it seemed that it had to be spread by carriers.

but what do I know. I’m not a doctor and trump didn’t pick me to head the HHS.

“On March 1 on ABC's This Week, US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar told host George Stephanopoulos that asymptomatic spread is "not the major driver" of the spread of the new coronavirus. 
    "You really need to just focus on the individuals that are symptomatic," he said. "It [the containment strategy] really does depend on symptomatic presentation."
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,543
    brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:
    brianlux said:

Jk.  ;)

Word. My wife and I had this discussion earlier today. Our 11 year olds school has been canceling all extracurricular activities, but yet the kids are still going to school as of Monday. Makes zero sense. Limit contact, but still have 400 plus kids hanging together all day with their teachers. Stupid. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    I work in healthcare, so it’s unlikely I’ll be asked to work from home. I expect to contract COVID sometime in the next few weeks, although I’ll take precautions of course. Much of my work is with homeless or very low income people, and there’s nowhere for them to self-isolate. Probably many of my clients haven’t even heard of the pandemic, and those that have won’t be able to do much about it. Best case scenario for me is likely a low grade case where I just recover at home. If I’m thought to be exposed and have to self-isolate at home it’ll be a frustrating time waiting, I imagine, but on the bright side I’ve got lots to read. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    I work in healthcare, so it’s unlikely I’ll be asked to work from home. I expect to contract COVID sometime in the next few weeks, although I’ll take precautions of course. Much of my work is with homeless or very low income people, and there’s nowhere for them to self-isolate. Probably many of my clients haven’t even heard of the pandemic, and those that have won’t be able to do much about it. Best case scenario for me is likely a low grade case where I just recover at home. If I’m thought to be exposed and have to self-isolate at home it’ll be a frustrating time waiting, I imagine, but on the bright side I’ve got lots to read. 

I hope you don't get the virus, but if you do, I hope is is mild.  Best wishes, always! (And good to know you have plenty to read in any case.  Me too!  :smile: )

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    Just read that the cdc recommends schools stay closed for six to eight weeks.  This really is surreal.  Are you guys allowing your kids to play with neighborhood kids?  What level of self quarantine is everyone doing.   @oftenreading Thank you for all you do, please be safe and try to remain healthy.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,350
    Man, 2020 is really gonna go down as a complete clusterfuck.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
    Thank you and stay safe.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,310
    mcgruff10 said:
    Just read that the cdc recommends schools stay closed for six to eight weeks.  This really is surreal.  Are you guys allowing your kids to play with neighborhood kids?  What level of self quarantine is everyone doing.   @oftenreading Thank you for all you do, please be safe and try to remain healthy.  
    Damn.. my son is a senior, that will eat up the rest of the year practically. 
    brianlux said:
    tish said:
    Mr.Lux  

Sorry.

Thanks, Tish.

Put her on a short leash! (I guess we can add Leash to the social distancing setlist.)
    I kinda picture that as like a clothes line in the backyard with a dogs' leash around a collar...

Tough times, at least you can model safe behaviour and maybe she'll catch on!

RE: Kids playing together...

I've been debating if I'll have my 8 year old play with cousins who live a few doors down. Their Mom is pregnant, so she is being cautious, but who knows? Then, I thought I'd just let them have yard play and not have them in the house. I suppose I better get Pipsqueak up to the ski hill before that gets shut down, as that is pretty low risk. Generally, I'm not too worried about our risk factors, but am considering the immunosuppressed, elders, and health care industry.

I was going to set up a big lego project or puzzle at the kitchen table for an extra activity these next couple of weeks. 
    Also, we are having prank spring break:

I got called to kill a spider and had a bucket of water thrown at me.
    I put Saran Wrap over the toilet. 

La da da... And so it goes.

mcgruff10 said:

What about food? Just eat everything in cans and freezer? No more take out? Restaurants seems to be the hardest hit as that’s the most exposure to each other.

No more food shopping, that’s probably the highest exposure?

2 weeks ago some experts were predicting 40-70% contamination and that seemed far fetched at the time. Not so much anymore. I don’t know if I can go without takeout. I know my wife will not unless we have martial law.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:

What about food? Just eat everything in cans and freezer? No more take out? Restaurants seems to be the hardest hit as that’s the most exposure to each other.

2 weeks ago some experts were predicting 40-70% contamination and that seemed far fetched at the time. Not so much anymore. I don’t know if I can go without takeout. I know my wife will not unless we have martial law.
    Do you guys not know how to cook?  Check out The Food Thread on AET, we can help you!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,666
    3 positive confirmations in my county.

Hitting a new level here.  
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Do you guys not know how to cook?  Check out The Food Thread on AET, we can help you!

Thanks, I will. Always interested in new ideas. We usually cook about 4 days a week, but she REALLY loves her takeout!
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    mcgruff10 said:
    I belong to plant fitness but for now this will have to do.  I d love to get an elliptical or bike. 
    Is that a shake weight in there?
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Wait... There's a food thread?!

at the grocery store today they were completely out of pasta, red sauce, and ground beef.  It was at that point I realized nobody knows how to cook anymore. 

I bought a corned beef, Swiss cheese, a loaf of pumpernickel, and some sauerkraut. Going to make a monster sandwich tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.