Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,996
    edited April 2021
    I don't see how Covid ever goes away.  It is like a Flu so won't it just keep coming back?  Will we have to get a shot every year?

that depends on the total number of varients that arise.

annual flu shot is generally the best guess of the dominant strain they think will emerge.

science is advancing so there is less lead time needed to develop that years flu vax.

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,276
      Will we have to get a shot every year?
    That remains to be seen. We have to see how long the vaccines provide immunity for. Certainly likely we'll need boosters, but the first people who got vaccines have to be checked regularly for antibodies to determine if and when and then how frequently.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,639
    I don't see how Covid ever goes away.  It is like a Flu so won't it just keep coming back?  Will we have to get a shot every year?
    Yes I’m fully expecting to get a covid booster with my flu shot this fall (and every year)
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,831
    I don't know whether it would go away even if everyone were to get vaccinated.  Certainly, it's not going to now.  Once everyone has had their opportunity to get vaccinated, I guess it's time to try to be "normal" again.  It sucks because some vaccinated people will catch it from non-vaccinated people, but it's their world, now.  

I'm just so many anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers are boycotting pro sports, which should make any games I eventually go to a bit safer. Concerts, on the other hand...
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,124
    Yes I’m fully expecting to get a covid booster with my flu shot this fall (and every year)
    I've never received a flu shot in my life.  It will suck if I have to do this every year now...
  • Options
    In Massachusetts, you can go on CVS website and all morning and right now there are tons of openings for at least 50% of CVS locations

We are almost (if not already) at the point where anyone who wants a vaccine can just log on in the morning and get it same day.  To me, that has always been the "end" of the pandemic, and that is a thought I maintain today.
    I wish I could share your optimism regarding your last sentence but hearing reports that less than half of repubs will get the vaccine and that millions of ‘Muricans are skipping their second dose, something makes me think we’re headed toward a The Stand type of future. Super bugs, Trashcan Man and a mass migration to either Boulder or Vegas.

When it comes to vaccinations, the vast majority of U.S. patients are rolling up their sleeves for two rounds, according to data released Sunday by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. However, according to the data, there is still work to be done, as millions of people have potentially missed the recommended window for their second shot.

A CDC report on vaccine completion status through April 9 showed that 92% of people who had one dose of an mRNA vaccine received their second shot during their scheduled windows. About 8% of patients -- roughly 5 million people -- may have missed their second dose, according to the report.

MORE: Vaccines likely effective against COVID-19 variants, study suggests

The percentage of people not getting their second dose more than doubled from 3.4%, the CDC reported from data gathered through mid-February. However, the agency said that jump was to be expected as eligibility and access increased.

PHOTO Anthony Briseno 20 receives his first Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine administered Medical Assistant Karina Cisneros from St John39s Well Child and Family Center at Abraham Lincoln High School in Los Angeles April 23 2021 Frederic J BrownAFP via Getty Images
    PHOTO: Anthony Briseno, 20, receives his first Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine administered Medical Assistant Karina Cisneros from St. John's Well Child and Family Center at Abraham Lincoln High School in Los Angeles, April 23, 2021. (Frederic J. Brown/AFP via Getty Images)
    More

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,709
    dankind said:
    In Massachusetts, you can go on CVS website and all morning and right now there are tons of openings for at least 50% of CVS locations

We are almost (if not already) at the point where anyone who wants a vaccine can just log on in the morning and get it same day.  To me, that has always been the "end" of the pandemic, and that is a thought I maintain today.
    I wish I could share your optimism regarding your last sentence but hearing reports that less than half of repubs will get the vaccine and that millions of ‘Muricans are skipping their second dose, something makes me think we’re headed toward a The Stand type of future. Super bugs, Trashcan Man and a mass migration to either Boulder or Vegas.

Captain Trips is a better name than Kung Flu!
    https://youtu.be/7mRDSW9-i_E
    I loved that song and of course the book.  Skeletons in the closet too.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Another King-inspired (Apt Pupil in that case) tune.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,276
    mickeyrat said:

When it comes to vaccinations, the vast majority of U.S. patients are rolling up their sleeves for two rounds, according to data released Sunday by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. However, according to the data, there is still work to be done, as millions of people have potentially missed the recommended window for their second shot.

A CDC report on vaccine completion status through April 9 showed that 92% of people who had one dose of an mRNA vaccine received their second shot during their scheduled windows. About 8% of patients -- roughly 5 million people -- may have missed their second dose, according to the report.

MORE: Vaccines likely effective against COVID-19 variants, study suggests

The percentage of people not getting their second dose more than doubled from 3.4%, the CDC reported from data gathered through mid-February. However, the agency said that jump was to be expected as eligibility and access increased.

PHOTO Anthony Briseno 20 receives his first Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine administered Medical Assistant Karina Cisneros from St John39s Well Child and Family Center at Abraham Lincoln High School in Los Angeles April 23 2021 Frederic J BrownAFP via Getty Images
    PHOTO: Anthony Briseno, 20, receives his first Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine administered Medical Assistant Karina Cisneros from St. John's Well Child and Family Center at Abraham Lincoln High School in Los Angeles, April 23, 2021. (Frederic J. Brown/AFP via Getty Images)
    More

That 8% does not take into account folks who may have switched their 2nd shot appointment to a different location however, which is something that definitely happens (not 5 million's worth, but it mitigates the total a bit)
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Yeah exactly. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,831
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

E
    I had no idea there was a song inspired by that. I bought the book of four novellas for "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption," having no idea that "the Body" (the novella version of Stand by Me) was a part of it. Both good reads.  "The Breathing Method" was meh. But I responded to say that "Apt Pupil" is the single most disturbing thing I've ever read by a long shot. 

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,684
    OnWis97 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

E
    I had no idea there was a song inspired by that. I bought the book of four novellas for "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption," having no idea that "the Body" (the novella version of Stand by Me) was a part of it. Both good reads.  "The Breathing Method" was meh. But I responded to say that "Apt Pupil" is the single most disturbing thing I've ever read by a long shot. 

Apt Pupil is the most disturbing thing you ever read?

Interesting.  I thought it was screwed up but it never registered like that with me.

Keeping on topic, the tweets I see shared in this thread frequently are more disturbing to me than any Stephen King story.
    ;)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited April 2021
    OnWis97 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

E

https://youtu.be/qUxTB9WyU8I
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I've never received a flu shot in my life.  It will suck if I have to do this every year now...
    Same
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    Same

so question for you both.

did you ever come down with a flu over the years?

I had a flu shot while in boot camp 1988. had a couple rough days. didnt have another til last year.

reason was 2 fold.

got knocked down HARD in Jan of 20 then had lingering chest/lung pain for 3 weeks. the coughing....

since many symptoms overlapped, I decided it smart to get the flu vax (some senior version. wtf I'm that old now?)

am now fully vaxxed approx 3 weeks since 2nd shot.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    Same

I had a flu shot while in boot camp 1988. had a couple rough days. didnt have another til last year.

reason was 2 fold.

got knocked down HARD in Jan of 20 then had lingering chest/lung pain for 3 weeks. the coughing....

since many symptoms overlapped, I decided it smart to get the flu vax (some senior version. wtf I'm that old now?)

I get the flu shot every year.  One bad bout with the flu will change your mind, especially if you don't get Tamiflu in you immediately.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    Same

reason was 2 fold.

I get the flu shot every year.  One bad bout with the flu will change your mind, especially if you don't get Tamiflu in you immediately.  

dude, worst week of my life

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,722

Worldwide endemic because you are able to vaccinate while others can't? 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,722
    Poncier said:
      Will we have to get a shot every year?
    That remains to be seen. We have to see how long the vaccines provide immunity for. Certainly likely we'll need boosters, but the first people who got vaccines have to be checked regularly for antibodies to determine if and when and then how frequently.
    I'd wager a yes that we will have variant boosters based on Canada buying Pfizer options into 2023 and the ongoing tweaking of the vaccine.

We'll have those before elderly in poor countries get vaccinated.
  • Options
    tish said:

I’m not sure where each country is at with vaccination, my comments apply to the USA only since that’s where I’m following my data from.  

But, locally, we seem to be at the end of the line with vaccinations, so locally, I feel that it is time to get back to normal
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,340
    Why will it suck? I’ve been getting flu shot every yr since 97 no issues whatsoever 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,340
    tish said:

I’m not sure where each country is at with vaccination, my comments apply to the USA only since that’s where I’m following my data from.  

But, locally, we seem to be at the end of the line with vaccinations, so locally, I feel that it is time to get back to normal
    End of line lol 40 something % of Republicans are refusing the vaccine.
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,684
    edited April 2021
    What about vaccinations for the kids?
    Long Covid is a proven thing, right?  Just because kids aren't dying from it in any sizeable percentage, can't they still get it and carry issues forward?  What do we do about vaccinations for the kids?  As far as I know, in the US there are 0% vaccinated under the age of 16....is that something we should be concerned about before clamoring to go and see a band play concerts or a football team tackle people?
    (Edit - looks like trials are underway for kids under 16 in the US....)
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    tish said:

What is your solution then?  Honestly curious.  

You can’t force something on people that isn’t FDA approved at least at a national level.  Private entities can mandate vaccines (airlines/colleges/etc) and make it hard enough that people who don’t want the Vaxx say “fuck it”

But what else can we do when every person(in the states) who wants the vaccine can readily and easily get it and protect themselves?  

100% of the country was never going to get the vaccine.  We are never going to prevent anyone ever dying again of coronavirus or a variant.  Anyone who expects that doesn’t live in reality 

Sorry for the rant, but the 10% crowd of people who (I think) genuinely never want the pandemic to end are just as frustrating as the 10% of fools who think the vaccine and the pandemic are a fake government ploy to do whatever the hell they think is going on
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
  • Options
    tish said:

You can’t force something on people that isn’t FDA approved at least at a national level.  Private entities can mandate vaccines (airlines/colleges/etc) and make it hard enough that people who don’t want the Vaxx say “fuck it”

But what else can we do when every person(in the states) who wants the vaccine can readily and easily get it and protect themselves?  

100% of the country was never going to get the vaccine.  We are never going to prevent anyone ever dying again of coronavirus or a variant.  Anyone who expects that doesn’t live in reality 

Sorry for the rant, but the 10% crowd of people who (I think) genuinely never want the pandemic to end are just as frustrating as the 10% of fools who think the vaccine and the pandemic are a fake government ploy to do whatever the hell they think is going on
    Do you have children?
    No judgement, just a question.

• Options
    tish said:

Do you have children?

I do not
  • Options
    tish said:

Do you have children?

I do not
    I do and am concerned that many do not seem to consider kids just because it is not lethal to them in large numbers.  
    They certainly can carry and transmit it and if long term effects are associated with some who get Covid, what does this mean for kids?

I'm rooting damn hard to get back to some sense of normal, I'm for certain not a person who wants this to continue but I feel like rushing out as the end is in sight is kind of a slap back on all of the stuff we have been through the past year +

Just want as few people to die as possible.
    All in favor of vaxx cards, of letting people who don't want it deal with the fallout....but I think we are still a ways from them being the only ones without the vaxx.
  • Options
    tish said:

Do you have children?

And yes, I know we don’t have an approved vaccine for those under 16.  Im sure there is an argument somewhere in there saying that we need to wait for that day to come.  

All I’m saying is this.  In my opinion, to the vast majority of the country, the vaccine was an endpoint.  Friends and family members of mine who were incredibly cautious are now gathering, hugging, celebrating.  Many of my colleagues have stated patients have gotten lazy with masks wearing and many patients have started reaching out to shake our hands (and every doctor I’ve talked to has said they’ve started shaking them back)

So yes, I think to the majority of the country, the vaccine was an end point.  Not saying it’s right or wrong, but it’s the way it is.  The level of concern is dropping as fast as the number of deaths is, the country is reopening, the vaccine works incredibly well, and I think by the end of summer we will be back to 100% normalcy.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    tish said:

Do you have children?

I do not
    I do and am concerned that many do not seem to consider kids just because it is not lethal to them in large numbers.  
    They certainly can carry and transmit it and if long term effects are associated with some who get Covid, what does this mean for kids?

I'm rooting damn hard to get back to some sense of normal, I'm for certain not a person who wants this to continue but I feel like rushing out as the end is in sight is kind of a slap back on all of the stuff we have been through the past year +

Just want as few people to die as possible.
    All in favor of vaxx cards, of letting people who don't want it deal with the fallout....but I think we are still a ways from them being the only ones without the vaxx.
    I understand.  I also hope that we can get more data regarding the vaccine in children.  But like you said, it is not as lethal to children.  Possible?  Yes, but not nearly to the degree of the at risk crowd.  I can’t relate as closely since I don’t have children.  
  • Options
    tish said:

Do you have children?

And yes, I know we don’t have an approved vaccine for those under 16.  Im sure there is an argument somewhere in there saying that we need to wait for that day to come.  

All I’m saying is this.  In my opinion, to the vast majority of the country, the vaccine was an endpoint.  Friends and family members of mine who were incredibly cautious are now gathering, hugging, celebrating.  Many of my colleagues have stated patients have gotten lazy with masks wearing and many patients have started reaching out to shake our hands (and every doctor I’ve talked to has said they’ve started shaking them back)

So yes, I think to the majority of the country, the vaccine was an end point.  Not saying it’s right or wrong, but it’s the way it is.  The level of concern is dropping as fast as the number of deaths is, the country is reopening, the vaccine works incredibly well, and I think by the end of summer we will be back to 100% normalcy.
    I respect that....but that is why I asked about the children and overlooking them.  I don't think that will be settled by end of summer based on everything I am seeing/not seeing so I don't see how we can go back to normal until at least addressing this on a national scale with some sort of plan.
This discussion has been closed.