Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    gvn2fly1421gvn2fly1421 Posts: 935
    Do nothing is the answer? 

That explains a lot.
    Brainy, my man!  Like I asked PJNB, you are given the keys to the kingdom, how are you handling it? 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJNB said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    Poncier said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    This thread is stupid at this point.  People posting shit from twitter, things opined about a year ago when we had little information, etc.  It's so disingenuous.  But seriously, keep fighting the fight that COVID isn't real.  Maybe we'll re-do the election so Trump can win while we're at it.  

Also characterized one person to another, without know shit about the other person, just because they have different opinions..
    Science is not an opinion.
    Scientists have different opinions..

It's almost like the whole response to this thing was not driven by science, but by..... politics.
    Completely agree.  There's no question that Trump's abdication of responsibility and complete denial of the danger was rooted in his fear of losing the election if the economy went down.  Of course the sad irony is that he lost the election precisely because of his denial.  He had his moment, the one where a president gets to rally the country in a common cause, but he blew it.  This is because he's an idiot, a narcissist and completely lacks strategic thinking and the ability to calculate second order effects.  His capacity to only think tactically is a death blow to a leader/
    I have stated several times that Trump botched the handling of it.  Now, do the "Blue" states?
    How did Trump botch the handling of it? 
    My opinion, he should have done nothing.  By doing nothing, the virus spreads more quickly and herd immunity is reached sooner.

By going the "two weeks to flatten the curve" and "slow the spread" route, all we did is prolong this thing.

Give this a watch if you can (36 minutes), or have it play as background, there is nothing to watch.  An interview with Knut Witkowski, one who said nothing should have been done back last March and April.  This is a catch up video a year later and his opinions are unchanged.  His first video was removed from youtube as well, go figure right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4wIsshE4Q4
    He did nothing... so why do you think he botched it?  Half million dead is a stunning success I guess.  If only it could have been more.  
    He didn't though.  What is so hard to understand about this?  He did half measures.  "Two weeks to flatten" and "slow the spread"... He left it to individual states to come up with their own mandates and what happened?  Blue states and red states were totally different and had differing results.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    edited April 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    PJNB said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    Poncier said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    This thread is stupid at this point.  People posting shit from twitter, things opined about a year ago when we had little information, etc.  It's so disingenuous.  But seriously, keep fighting the fight that COVID isn't real.  Maybe we'll re-do the election so Trump can win while we're at it.  

Also characterized one person to another, without know shit about the other person, just because they have different opinions..

It's almost like the whole response to this thing was not driven by science, but by..... politics.
    Completely agree.  There's no question that Trump's abdication of responsibility and complete denial of the danger was rooted in his fear of losing the election if the economy went down.  Of course the sad irony is that he lost the election precisely because of his denial.  He had his moment, the one where a president gets to rally the country in a common cause, but he blew it.  This is because he's an idiot, a narcissist and completely lacks strategic thinking and the ability to calculate second order effects.  His capacity to only think tactically is a death blow to a leader/
    I have stated several times that Trump botched the handling of it.  Now, do the "Blue" states?
    My opinion, he should have done nothing.  By doing nothing, the virus spreads more quickly and herd immunity is reached sooner.

By going the "two weeks to flatten the curve" and "slow the spread" route, all we did is prolong this thing.

Give this a watch if you can (36 minutes), or have it play as background, there is nothing to watch.  An interview with Knut Witkowski, one who said nothing should have been done back last March and April.  This is a catch up video a year later and his opinions are unchanged.  His first video was removed from youtube as well, go figure right.

He did nothing... so why do you think he botched it?  Half million dead is a stunning success I guess.  If only it could have been more.  
    He didn't though.  What is so hard to understand about this?  He did half measures.  "Two weeks to flatten" and "slow the spread"... He left it to individual states to come up with their own mandates and what happened?  Blue states and red states were totally different and had differing results.

Sure did.. and overall blue states did better.  https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109004/coronavirus-covid19-cases-rate-us-americans-by-state/

Or more specifically, states with governors who took it seriously.  I say that because Ohio did well and DeWine and Hogan were strong leaders on this front.  
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    guess leaving is all about timing?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475

'Who cares if millions of people die? I need to live MY life.'
  • Options

'Who cares if millions of people die? I need to live MY life.'
    Muh.. the economy.  Well last year didn't turn out that terrible, we kept people afloat and now there's a vaccine.  But sure... we should have just let the infection run wild.  Genius. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJNB said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    Poncier said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:

Sure did.. and overall blue states did better.  https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109004/coronavirus-covid19-cases-rate-us-americans-by-state/

Or more specifically, states with governors who took it seriously.  I say that because Ohio did well and DeWine and Hogan were strong leaders on this front.  
    Ok, so you post a link claiming victory on one metric, that metric being current cases?  One year into this thing?  You realize we could post data back and forth that suggests red states did better on one metric and blue states did better on another.  You chose the current case count.  

Since this board loves the line of, "500,000 Americans couldn't be reached" (so juicy BTW) and likes to keep pointing out the death count, let me choose the metric of deaths per million people...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

We could do this all day, so again, you are given the keys, how are you driving this car?  And this is a year into it, we should be able to see a lot clearer now...  Saw things....  Saw things....  Saw things...  CLEARER!!!

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,816
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJNB said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    Poncier said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:

Ok, so you post a link claiming victory on one metric, that metric being current cases?  One year into this thing?  You realize we could post data back and forth that suggests red states did better on one metric and blue states did better on another.  You chose the current case count.  

Since this board loves the line of, "500,000 Americans couldn't be reached" (so juicy BTW) and likes to keep pointing out the death count, let me choose the metric of deaths per million people...

We could do this all day, so again, you are given the keys, how are you driving this car?  And this is a year into it, we should be able to see a lot clearer now...  Saw things....  Saw things....  Saw things...  CLEARER!!!

google "new zealand coronavirus" and you have your answer. 

can't wait for the "you can't compare new zealand to the US" . just like the gun retort. imagine that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJNB said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    Poncier said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:

No dude, my data is historic with a base of 31MM.  To prove it, take your link and sort by cases/1 MM and you will see the same states float to the top.  Read more carefully. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,742
    I mean there is trolling and then there is this. This is not trolling. This is someone that is inconvenienced from an imported Chinese virus and he wants his freedom back no matter the cost. How the fuck anyone can think herd immunity without people getting vaccinated is the way to go is beyond me 1 year into this. Lets ignore the deaths, lets ignore the healthcare systems being over run, lets ignore Grammy and Gramps dying but hey they were old and had a great life anyways. People die life goes on! 

I am curious what you think the death rate is of this virus. For you to think herd immunity would work without vaccines you would have to think that those 500,000 plus deaths in the US are not real. How convenient it must be to just ignore something as serious as those deaths. 

Also lets take a look at a state called North Dakota. You may have heard of it. Compare that to a province called New Brunswick. I doubt you have heard of it. These two areas are roughly the same size geographically. They also have a similar population. This is the best example out there that I can find that shows how one area failed miserably and one area succeeded and is considered one of the safest places in the world to live during covid.

104,000 cases in ND 
    1670 cases in NB

1499 deaths in ND
    31 deaths in NB

Why is there such a difference do you think? That is not a small amount of difference either. We are talking 48 times more deaths and 62 times more cases. Herd Immunity works though right by just infecting everyone? Well it works for you probably since you are in the low risk bracket. Fuck everyone else right! 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJNB said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    Poncier said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:

No dude, my data is historic with a base of 31MM.  To prove it, take your link and sort by cases/1 MM and you will see the same states float to the top.  Read more carefully. 
    Now do deaths...  500,000 couldn't be reached to sort by deaths...  Am I doing this right?  You guys seem to always point to the death toll, until it doesn't fit your narrative.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617

That explains a lot.
    Brainy, my man!  Like I asked PJNB, you are given the keys to the kingdom, how are you handling it? 

I could never be President, too many skeletons in my own closet.  Also, what an awful job -- would not want it.

But, I will play along.....
    I would for 100% certainty, do something.
    Doing nothing is the worst thing I could imagine doing in the face of a global pandemic threatening thousands (hundreds of thousands) American lives.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJNB said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    Poncier said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:

Now do deaths...  500,000 couldn't be reached to sort by deaths...  Am I doing this right?  You guys seem to always point to the death toll, until it doesn't fit your narrative.
    Is your argument that certain states have better health systems and COVID treatments than other states?  That would have be your argument.  I would say that deaths are going to be driven by the timing of the infection (earlier infections were likely more deadly because treatements weren't developed), by the age of the population, by the hospital capacity.

Under your 'strategy' to just go herd immunity, there would be no way to control deaths.  Deaths are a result of infections, and then the other factors I identified take over.  Gov't and hospitals are relatively powerless at that point.  

And don't say "you guys", I'm making my points and you are making yours.  And your entire other point is out the door because you failed to read the data properly.  
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    You comment on PJNB's North Dakota vs New Brunswick comparison intelligently then I'll comment on this.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options

That explains a lot.

I could never be President, too many skeletons in my own closet.  Also, what an awful job -- would not want it.

Doing nothing is the worst thing I could imagine doing in the face of a global pandemic threatening thousands (hundreds of thousands) American lives.
    Right there with you my man...  

Bu what?  What would "something" look like?  I should have added protect the elderly in my "do nothing" scenario as well.  That is all I would do if the problem was given to me to solve.  

If under my scenario, we protected the elderly and essentially did nothing, would the results look different than all the half-cocked measures we did?  
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    You comment on PJNB's North Dakota vs New Brunswick comparison intelligently then I'll comment on this.
    Totally honest here, I have no idea on New Brunswick and anything covid related to them.  Will look into it.
  • Options

That explains a lot.

Bu what?  What would "something" look like?  I should have added protect the elderly in my "do nothing" scenario as well.  That is all I would do if the problem was given to me to solve.  

If under my scenario, we protected the elderly and essentially did nothing, would the results look different than all the half-cocked measures we did?  
    Who is arguing for the shitty half ass nothing Trump did?  Worse, his administration put in some reasonable measures that he undermined daily. 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited April 2021
    Here are the death rates per 100,000 people since 1/21/2020.  Straight from CDC.  

Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    Poncier said:
    Totally honest here, I have no idea on New Brunswick and anything covid related to them.  Will look into it.
    OK.

As for your post. Within the video, it clearly states that testing is at a much lower rate in the states with lowering cases vs. the states with rising rates, very simple math there.
    Coupled with temperatures (remember last summer when the entire country had lower numbers) that's 2 very simple factors. Folks in the south can spend much more time outdoors in March/April than folks in the northeast and midwest. And its been proven that the virus spreads far easier indoors than it does outdoors.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options

That explains a lot.

How do you protect the elderly? Are they not in nursing homes for a reason? Do they not have workers in these nursing homes looking after them? Do these workers not have families at home that they can get the virus from? What extreme measures are you suggesting to protect the elderly and the healthcare workers that provide the help they need to stay alive? Masks don't work right so what else can we do? Put them in a bubble maybe like that movie? Or what if we just gave them a slot in the door for their food to be delivered and they can shit and piss in a diaper and once a day someone can come in with a hazmat suit and change them. Nursing homes need better work I agree. But what is the solution right now or at the start of the pandemic that you are recommending exactly? I myself do not know. 

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617

That explains a lot.

I would work with scientists and determine the proper path.  I do not have the answers, I am not the person to solve this.  I do believe that it was fully botched by pretending it did not exist.  That was just idiotic.  Further minimizing it constantly (and still) is also not a plan.

Personally, I do believe if we only cared for old lives things would look very different, as in more people dying & more people with long term health conditions....and I also believe if we truly implemented a plan at the onset things would have looked much different.  We could have avoided much of the spread and many of the deaths. 

We are not going to agree on this -- I can see your posts and you can see mine. 

Doing nothing represents, to me, a lack of concern or care about the lives of American citizens. 

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Also I missed the questions on how I would handle it. I could not handle it and would probably fail miserably. There is no winning with this virus. The economy matters and lives matter. There is no way to properly balance them both and keep everyone happy. One thing is certain for sure though if the health care system fails the economy fails. 

My province has very little hospitalizations due to covid right now. A month ago my local city hospital ICU was at 100% max capacity. That is what the headline was saying in the newspaper. At first glance you would think it was covid related. But if you read the article that is what the capacity usually always is this time of year and we in fact had zero covid cases in the hospital. iI was a bit of a wake up call to me on how shit our healthcare system is here. If we got hit like North Dakota got hit it would have caused a huge crisis on not just the covid patients healthcare but everyones else's too that had "normal" ailments that require ICU treatment. 

I have actually been against my provinces restrictions that are still in place where I live. The numbers are so low here that the restrictions that are in place do not add up with the number of cases that we have. The fear of the variant over running us and the fact the vaccine roll out has been so slow is playing a factor. I feel for the other states/provinces that are going back into another lockdown. I hope this is the last one for us all and the vaccine does what it is supposed to do. 

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,492
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    Like Bart, i will write hundred times on chalkboard..
    Politicians and Big companies care for me..
    And the Bill Gates..

Well it just so happens that big companies are employed by real life humans.  And real life humans have families too. And sometimes the interests of companies with real live humans coincide with the rest of society. 

Since you seem to think differently,  why are you here,  engaging in society? Why aren't you off living on a desert island alone? Surely your interests and life expectancy would be longer without the scourge of the polio vaccine,  mumps vaccine,  hepatitis,  hpv, measles, etc. Think about how much better you could be doing without those poisons in your body. 
    I have to live in a desert island cause i'm thinking otherwise??..wow!!
    That's what you got out of all of that...
    Maybe i removed outside Krakow??..again..wow..
    I don't know what this means.  But the bottom line questions:

1. Have you and and your family benefited from vaccines,  like the ones I listed?

2. Do you believe that the advent of modern pharmacology over the past 100 years improved quality of life or reduced it?
    I was 100% sure you didn't knew it..hahaha..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Looking at cases at any single point in time to argue against lockdowns is pointless, given the time lag between when lockdowns and reopenings start and when we see cases go down or up. What matters is the trends over time related to these activities, and we have good evidence that lockdowns are effective to reduce cases where they are properly implemented  and where people obey them. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,581
    That someone is okay with approximately 5,700,000 dead +/- 'Muricans so they can live normally? WTF? Nobody is stopping you from going about your life. Go to a ball game, refuse to wear a mask, don't wash your hands or socially distance, find a job and go to work, the economy is booming, find an underground rave or restaurant scene, hell go to Flo Rida. What are you scared? Staying in your basement? Stop being controlled. Fuck man, live.

There is no hope for someone who can't discern the differences and the reasons for them. Only Q knows.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    some people don't like evidence or science. and when you point them to it, they switch gears to conspiracy theories. it's not worth anyone's time to debate such nonsense. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    some people don't like evidence or science. and when you point them to it, they switch gears to conspiracy theories. it's not worth anyone's time to debate such nonsense. 
    Trying to have a good faith argument with someone who clearly isn’t is a complete waste of time. 
  • Options
    decries media as "fear porn" when it suits the narrative, cites it when it doesn't. 

bra-VO
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Mmmm!

I love the smell of unproductive arguing in the morning. 
This discussion has been closed.