The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,386
    Both nostrils.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    just do as China and give yourself the anal swab...lmfao.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    It’s been different every time I’ve gotten a test. I’ve had the deep nasopharyngeal swab (yuck) and the more shallow nasal swabs, one side or both sides. I’m not sure it matters much. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Pfizer BionTech report that they have data that the vaccine is effective and well tolerated in 12 to 15 year olds from a study of 2,200. 

The primary endpoint was measurement of antibodies but as a secondary endpoint there were no symptomatic cases in the vaccinated group compared to 18 in the placebo group.  

https://apple.news/AYEbQK6mvRq-
    kUfGCKfeQGw

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    we have 3 testing sites for a population of 750 thousand...

And the 3rd wave is well underway in Ontario...

and we are a mix of rural/urban and only 1 testing site in the rural area serving 350 thousands residents...

our cases are falsely low.  It appears our public health board is using Trumps strategy...test less, less cases...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Did a second self-test just now, because I had in my stressful easter-fever booked one to be delived to my door but then I couldn't cancel it when I instead could pick one up at my local clinic...

... weird that the instructions were a bit different for the two tests. One you were to swab far inside one of your nostrils (scary), the other you had to swab both of them.

DID YOU SWAB ONE OR TWO NOSTRILS JAMILY?
    I think you are supposed to swab your butt, then nostrils, then your mouth.  That’s the only 100% effective method of testing.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,443
    edited March 2021
    Black helicopter question.

Does anyone know if DNA info is being used when getting a test?

EDITNVMD, Quick search comes up with a No answer.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    Did a second self-test just now, because I had in my stressful easter-fever booked one to be delived to my door but then I couldn't cancel it when I instead could pick one up at my local clinic...

... weird that the instructions were a bit different for the two tests. One you were to swab far inside one of your nostrils (scary), the other you had to swab both of them.

I think you are supposed to swab your butt, then nostrils, then your mouth.  That’s the only 100% effective method of testing.
    Sounds complicated. Perhaps you should film an instructional video. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,053

I've had three covid tests and each time they swabbed both nostrils.  Feel better but stop with the Jamily nonsense.  ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,605
    PJPOWER said:

Start a comedy duo.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,053
    PJPOWER said:

second this suggestion.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,839
    PJPOWER said:

This is known as the ATM method.  Highly effective. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:

second this suggestion.
    I would, but I’m still trying to get the taste out of my mouth from round 1...
    Tests came back negative, but the sinus infection and a bad case of E. Coli are kicking my ass.  
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

Start a comedy duo.
    :) Truthfully, I never actually self administered the test and only went to my doctor when I thought I actually needed tested.  You can also request an antibody test from the doctor to see if you were ever exposed.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Start a comedy duo.
    :) Truthfully, I never actually self administered the test and only went to my doctor when I thought I actually needed tested.  You can also request an antibody test from the doctor to see if you were ever exposed.
    My doc said that the antibody tests are bogus.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    dankind said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Start a comedy duo.
    Really?  That’s interesting...did they say why they felt that way?  They test for them when I give blood to see if I can donate convalescent plasma.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    In Washington state, epidemiologists have found 102 cases of "breakthrough" covid infection in fully vaccinated people, out of approximately 1.2 million who are fully vaccinated, suggesting an infection rate of about 0.01%. The majority of the cases were mild or asymptomatic but 8 required hospitalization and 2 died. 

Over 100 fully vaccinated people contract COVID-19 in Washington state, officials say

Officials said the so-called breakthrough cases are expected with any vaccine.

Over 100 people in Washington state have tested positive for COVID-19 more than two weeks after becoming fully vaccinated against the disease, officials said.

The Washington State Department of Health is investigating reports of the so-called breakthrough cases, which it said are expected with any vaccine.

Out of the 1.2 million people who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in Washington, epidemiologists have reported evidence of 102 breakthrough cases in 18 counties since Feb. 1, representing less than 0.01% of all fully vaccinated individuals in the northwestern U.S. state. Most cases were patients who experienced only mild symptoms, if any, according to a press release from the Washington State Department of Health.

However, at least eight people with breakthrough cases have been hospitalized. The Washington State Department of Health is also investigating two potential breakthrough cases where the individuals died. Both patients were over 80 years old and suffered from underlying health issues.

The Washington State Department of Health said further investigation will help identify patterns among the breakthrough cases, such as if a variant of the novel coronavirus may have caused the infection.

A breakthrough case is confirmed with a positive polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test or a positive antigen test in an individual more than two weeks after they have received their final dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, according to the Washington State Department of Health.

"Finding evidence of vaccine breakthrough cases reminds us that, even if you have been vaccinated, you still need to wear a mask, practice socially distancing, and wash your hands to prevent spreading COVID-19 to others who have not been vaccinated," Dr. Umair Shah, Washington state's secretary of health, said in a statement Tuesday.

Large-scale clinical studies found that COVID-19 vaccines reduced the risk of contracting the disease in vaccinated individuals by up to 95%, compared with those who were not vaccinated. However, the vaccines are not 100% effective in preventing infection and thus a small percentage of breakthrough cases can be anticipated, according to the Washington State Department of Health.

"It is important to remember that every vaccine on the market right now prevents severe disease and death in most cases," Shah said. "People should still get vaccinated as soon as they are eligible, and encourage friends, loved ones, and co-workers to do the same."

More than 30.3 million people have been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the United States and over 550,000 of them have died, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

Washington state has registered at least 363,235 confirmed cases and 5,237 deaths. So far, more than 16% of the Evergreen State's population is fully vaccinated against COVID-19, according to Johns Hopkins data.

Post edited by oftenreading on
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,781
    Great info
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJPOWER said:
    dankind said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Start a comedy duo.
    Really?  That’s interesting...did they say why they felt that way?  They test for them when I give blood to see if I can donate convalescent plasma.
    He gave three reasons. I cannot remember them all. One was because of false positives -- if you had a common cold (or another related coronavirus), that could (and often does) come back as positive for Covid-19 antibodies.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    dankind said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dankind said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Start a comedy duo.
    He gave three reasons. I cannot remember them all. One was because of false positives -- if you had a common cold (or another related coronavirus), that could (and often does) come back as positive for Covid-19 antibodies.
    Makes sense on the false positives.  All of mine have come back negative so far.  I was kind of curious how it would register after being vaccinated.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  OMG TY!  This is hysterical, hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  OMG TY!  This is hysterical, hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Apparently we are the only ones that have spent company time hanging out on Urban dictionary.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Apparently we are the only ones that have spent company time hanging out on Urban dictionary.  
    At first I read it as the “AMT” method, which I thought was equally hilarious :)
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,130
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:

At first I read it as the “AMT” method, which I thought was equally hilarious :)
    so did I. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,781
    And me
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    No,  much... much worse
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,386
    mrussel1 said:
    No,  much... much worse

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    No,  much... much worse
    I knew it wasn't a typo.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,130
    I didn't think it was a typo, it was my lysdexia
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,065
    edited March 2021
    Got my Pfizer shot today. While I know the symptoms may come tomorrow or only during the second shot it was a very easy process and no issues so far. Also for anyone that hates needles I barely felt a thing. Look away and don't think about it and you will be fine. 
This discussion has been closed.