Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,839
    PJNB said:
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/astrazeneca-under-55-1.5968128

Suspend AstraZeneca use for people under 55, vaccine committee recommends

I know lots of people 55 and under that already got the first dose. Wonder what that happens to their second shot timeline. 
    That’s a good question.   I work with a lady who had her 1st dose...was not going to get second dose until June or July....maybe they’ll have it sorted out soon...
    I don't think you have to get the same shot for the second dose. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    mrussel1 said:
    PJNB said:

I know lots of people 55 and under that already got the first dose. Wonder what that happens to their second shot timeline. 
    That’s a good question.   I work with a lady who had her 1st dose...was not going to get second dose until June or July....maybe they’ll have it sorted out soon...

Currently it's the recommendation that you get the same shot for both, due to lack of data on a mix and match strategy. There are trials underway right now on this.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,937
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Great new in NY. Anyone over 30 is eligible starting  next week!! 

given density of the 5 boroughs, how is the state handling injection locations?
    My 3 Uncles and father easily received shots over the past month. A lot of my customers at the store have received theirs as well. Haven’t heard much complaining honestly. 
  • Options

This is really discouraging. BC was just in the process of rolling out vaccinations for teachers and front line workers with the AZ vaccine and now this. We (the province) are also increasing our restrictions as of today due to an increase in cases. Every time it seems like there is an end in sight, something blows up again. 

I don't personally think that a risk of about 1 in 1,000,000 is high enough to suspend the vaccinations but it's looking more and more like we're swimming against the tide of public opinion on this vaccine. I wonder if the wealthier countries are going to decide to just cut this one out. That might be to the gain of the developing nations, so that would be something at least. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,053
    Just got the call today from the school nurse that my son was close to a student who tested positive.  He will be quarantined until April 12, ugh.   
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,975
    edited March 2021
    ^^ Is it OK for 55+ because benefits outweigh risk?

I like how you look on the bright side! 

I haven't been on the same endemic page. I am awaiting the 3rd variant wave. I'm glad it didn't hit here during spring break and took advatage of safer opportunities for recreation. I'm also glad my ski hill voluntarily refusesd reservations from people more than 100 clicks away, so we're not shut down due to tourism.

Edit: Sorry to hear that McG. My kids' school still had no reports and with a new mask wearing mandate for Gr. 4-12 required in schools that will lower the odds a bit. 
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,781
    I will have my 2nd shot of AZ in May no problem 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,403

This is really discouraging. BC was just in the process of rolling out vaccinations for teachers and front line workers with the AZ vaccine and now this. We (the province) are also increasing our restrictions as of today due to an increase in cases. Every time it seems like there is an end in sight, something blows up again. 

I don't personally think that a risk of about 1 in 1,000,000 is high enough to suspend the vaccinations but it's looking more and more like we're swimming against the tide of public opinion on this vaccine. I wonder if the wealthier countries are going to decide to just cut this one out. That might be to the gain of the developing nations, so that would be something at least. 
    With the science (or scientific interpretation) constantly changing. I'm not long sure if AZ is a problem?  At first it sounded like they couldn't differentiate between whether the virus cause the clots, or if that many random people in any given population size would have them anyways.   I guess the science changed?

With cases spiking up here in BC, what's the costs of not using them?  I think the US was sending Canada something like 1.5m doses.  Moderna delayed some shipments again.  Without other vaccines it's going to take a lot longer to vaccinate our population.. shrug.

If someone offered me the AZ vaccine I'd take it.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I can say that now in the UK the numbers are showing the benefits  of what we did in December.  Our full population is around 60mil
    We have one dosed over 30 mil so more than half adults . 
    With kids included in the 60mil(that don't get one) thats a lot of people and the numbers suggest it's had a dramatic effect on hospitals.  Now under 5% beds are covid in hospitals.   AZ vaccine  has made that possible.  
    People were dying all over ,now even with the  most contagious  variant numbers dropped off the cliff.
    On another  note I was involved in a survey  from the  start of pandemic  ONS study that tested us weekly then monthly and bloods also . They actually  paid us in vouchers which made presents Xmas possible for our kids because  we are quite short on money.
    Well they are coming again today as they now want to monitor  vaccinated  people. Swab and bloods  9.am  so they are checking our immune  response  6 weeks after  AZ . Now this kind of science  excites me. I hope we get the information on our immune  response that would be interesting 
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,605
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

Line for test or vaccine?
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mrussel1 said:
    PJNB said:

Then if that’s the case...then it should be ok...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJNB said:

As Often Reading pointed out, that's not correct.  https://www.healthline.com/health-news/can-we-mix-and-match-covid-19-vaccines-experts-say-not-yet
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    mrussel1 said:

Line for test or vaccine?
    Line to pick up a take-it-yourself test. 

Hoping for a negative result in 48h.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    Zod said:

With the science (or scientific interpretation) constantly changing. I'm not long sure if AZ is a problem?  At first it sounded like they couldn't differentiate between whether the virus cause the clots, or if that many random people in any given population size would have them anyways.   I guess the science changed?

With cases spiking up here in BC, what's the costs of not using them?  I think the US was sending Canada something like 1.5m doses.  Moderna delayed some shipments again.  Without other vaccines it's going to take a lot longer to vaccinate our population.. shrug.

I'm with you. If they offered it I would take it.

I think we're making a big mistake up here in Canada. This back and forth on AZ is going to cost people their lives.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    Zod said:

I'm with you. If they offered it I would take it.

I think we're making a big mistake up here in Canada. This back and forth on AZ is going to cost people their lives.
    This is true there  is no more risk than a paracetamol and this is costing lives and harming 1000s.  No confidence is so sad. This is the non profit vaccine  remember  that
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,975
    edited March 2021
    Well if 4 in 100,000 (middle aged women, mostly) get Vaccine-Induced Prothrombotic Immune Thrombocytopenia (VIPIT), with 40% fatality, how does this compare with Covid-19 complications? 

We have had 11 (7 this year) deaths in BC in that age group. Total COVID-19 in BC almost 40,000. Percent of those in that age group X (as below).

Anyone wonder why this info isn't easy for the average Tishy to understand, and-or can solve this math?

Mar 6, 2020 data
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    So 2 people die every 100,000.
    20 in a million. Are these  facts?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    edited March 2021
    We have 30 million doses that  would mean 600 dead? My maths  might be shit
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJNB said:

As Often Reading pointed out, that's not correct.  https://www.healthline.com/health-news/can-we-mix-and-match-covid-19-vaccines-experts-say-not-yet
    That makes sense....
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Do you mean from Covid or from the clots?  I read that the clots are 4 in 100,000 and 40% die.  

So for 30 million doses, I come up with 480 deaths.  
  • Options
    Clots yeah. 
    I haven't  seen anything  about 480 deaths  from this post vaccine 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    I know one thing  it confuses the fuck out of me 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Do you mean from Covid or from the clots?  I read that the clots are 4 in 100,000 and 40% die.  

So for 30 million doses, I come up with 480 deaths.  
    Saw someone comparing that, to clots from birth control pills, which is allowed to be sold.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,561
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    cutz said:
    Texas.
    Waco
    Religious

Think that covers it!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Clots yeah. 
    I'm just doing the math on 30 million doses.  Is that the amount of doses of AZ that has been administered?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Clots yeah. 
    I'm just doing the math on 30 million doses.  Is that the amount of doses of AZ that has been administered?
    Busy busy day for me so I haven’t been able to read into this further. The last time I read any data on this was two days ago though it seems like weeks now. At that point I believe there were 30 identified cases. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Did a second self-test just now, because I had in my stressful easter-fever booked one to be delived to my door but then I couldn't cancel it when I instead could pick one up at my local clinic...

... weird that the instructions were a bit different for the two tests. One you were to swab far inside one of your nostrils (scary), the other you had to swab both of them.

DID YOU SWAB ONE OR TWO NOSTRILS JAMILY?
  • Options
    Throat then nose. Both sides of both I believe 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

This discussion has been closed.