The coronavirus

Comments

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,490
    PJNB said:
    So in New Brunswick they are waiting 16 weeks between shots. I did some research on this and am not impressed at all. 
    Its actually  more beneficial at least with AZ
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    PJNB said:
    I would also say that it makes sense in a dense population that is overrun by the virus and they need some kind of protection with limited supplies of the vaccine to space it out to get some relief. Not for a province that is regarded as one of the best places to be in NA during this virus (largely based on small population). Protect all of the vulnerable with the recommended dose. 16 weeks spaced out imo will lead a lot more people to say fuck it i do not need the second dose in the summer when things are way more calmed down. 
    It’s always best to follow the manufacturers instructions...

They are spreading the dose out so the prime minister and some premiers can save face...

And really, I’m not surprised...our health care is rationed at the best of times.
    Give Peas A Chance…

Research doesn't back vaccine dose delay for seniors, Canada's chief science adviser says

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/research-doesn-t-back-vaccine-dose-delay-for-seniors-canada-s-chief-science-adviser-says-1.5358075

also for pre-existing conditions...

Give Peas A Chance…
    PJNB said:
    I would also say that it makes sense in a dense population that is overrun by the virus and they need some kind of protection with limited supplies of the vaccine to space it out to get some relief. Not for a province that is regarded as one of the best places to be in NA during this virus (largely based on small population). Protect all of the vulnerable with the recommended dose. 16 weeks spaced out imo will lead a lot more people to say fuck it i do not need the second dose in the summer when things are way more calmed down. 

They are spreading the dose out so the prime minister and some premiers can save face...

And really, I’m not surprised...our health care is rationed at the best of times.
    The manufacturers did not test a longer gap but we the UK have in real time and its conclusive. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    edited March 2021
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJNB said:
    So in New Brunswick they are waiting 16 weeks between shots. I did some research on this and am not impressed at all. 

availability issue?
    Has to be. I really don't care about me having it spaced out and need to find out more from older friends and family but it looks like most have to wait that long as of right now. I think the larger provinces need to get the most doses even more than the fair amount would be per capita. It is obvious the larger municipalities are hit the worst and should the most attention. That said why am I getting vaccinated in a week just so I can wait for 16 weeks while someone older and more vulnerable could have a double dose in under a month instead. I get that there is some protection with the single dose but with a province like mine that have hospitals that barely ever see a covid patient why are we not just protecting the ones that need it most with both shots right now? Makes no sense to me especially with having one shot you can still easily get it and have symptoms. 

BC is also 16 weeks. We had a discussion about this in this thread when the decision was made a few weeks back. While it's outside of the manufacturer's guidelines it does have some support from available evidence. It gets first doses into many more people, which leads to an estimated 90% level of protection once you get beyond 2 weeks from the first dose. In fact, there is even some evidence that immunity will be greater with the delay in doses. 

What information led you to be not impressed?
    Must of missed that discussion somehow or old age is kicking lol. I get it but its a huge risk imo. I need to do some research but the first couple of articles I read were not that promising. 

https://fortune.com/2021/01/26/covid-vaccine-timeline-second-shot-dose-how-long-between-coronavirus-vaccine-shots-moderna-pfizer-astrazeneca/?fbclid=IwAR2s4MeXtsiGfKqq56U0w4PWIKJeLoUkPbeugmnI1X4J7I2VlVMcBjDuDuI

It's easy to miss info about covid. New material comes out every day.

And on that note, the article you posted is dated January 26, which is ancient history in the covid timeline. There has been new data since, and also a re-analysis of the Pfizer data from their licensing trial. It turns out that when they calculated the efficacy after the first dose, they included infections that occurred in from the day of immunization in the people who got vaccinated, which doesn't really make sense since there is no effective immunity developed until 10-14 days after the immunization. When the data was analyzed to look at infections from day 15 on, it shows efficacy of about 89-90%. There is also new Israeli and British data, plus some others.

The choice of a 3 or 4 week dosing interval was for convenience, not science - the pharma companies wanted data as soon as possible. If it wasn't such an urgent situation they would likely have gone for a longer dosing interval. Now that their products have regulatory approval for the 3 or 4 week intervals they are obliged to say that they don't approve of any other use, but that doesn't mean that other intervals can't be as or more effective.

New data comes in all the time so I'm sure we'll see more on this. In the meantime, I think it's likely the right call to focus on getting first doses into as many people as possible, given the high levels of protection that we know last at least 3 months without evidence of decline by that point.

Edit: there is evidence that people with severely compromised immune systems, such as cancer patients undergoing chemo, etc, should have the two doses close together. It's not a big surprise that their impaired immune systems need a different approach but not really reflective of the general population. It's good news that they were able to mount an immune response at all. 
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    PJNB said:

The manufacturers did not test a longer gap but we the UK have in real time and its conclusive. 
    No it’s not.  
    Give Peas A Chance…

Diane Francis: New study finds delaying second doses of COVID vaccine could put lives at risk

Give Peas A Chance…

Diane Francis: New study finds delaying second doses of COVID vaccine could put lives at risk

Well, that’s not at all biased :lol:  

Again, that only refers to cancer patients with compromised immune systems. 

And there is some evidence that the AZ vaccine is actually more effective against some variants, not less. 
    edited March 2021
    PJNB said:

No it’s not.  
    What are you on about?I live in the UK and it's happening  here . What part is not conclusive.  Look if you keep searching  you will find someone that agrees. But seriously  the immunity  grows day upon day and infact the second  dose is too soon as it only adds a minor percentage.  The first dose keeps growing after the 21 days and even more after 30 odd days. Meaning the trials did NOT allow for a longer gap . Now its proven as we can see in the levels after the one dose left up to 3 months it dose not drop. Believe what you like. People can believe  what they like but science  is fact
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    PJNB said:

No it’s not.  
    What are you on about?I live in the UK and it's happening  here . What part is not conclusive.  Look if you keep searching  you will find someone that agrees. But seriously  the immunity  grows day upon day and infact the second  dose is too soon as it only adds a minor percentage.  The first dose keeps growing after the 21 days and even more after 30 odd days. Meaning the trials dis NOT allow for a longer gap . Now its proven. Believe what you like. People can believe  what they like but science  is fact
    it's not a fact to him unless it proves canadian politicians are corrupt and/or stupid. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

Well, that’s not at all biased :lol:  

Again, that only refers to cancer patients with compromised immune systems. 

And there is some evidence that the AZ vaccine is actually more effective against some variants, not less. 
    Very true,I agree. In fact in cancer patients  they must have both doses close together. But that makes sence as the immune  system  is on its arse anyway.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

PJNB said:

No it’s not.  
    What are you on about?I live in the UK and it's happening  here . What part is not conclusive.  Look if you keep searching  you will find someone that agrees. But seriously  the immunity  grows day upon day and infact the second  dose is too soon as it only adds a minor percentage.  The first dose keeps growing after the 21 days and even more after 30 odd days. Meaning the trials dis NOT allow for a longer gap . Now its proven. Believe what you like. People can believe  what they like but science  is fact
    it's not a fact to him unless it proves canadian politicians are corrupt and/or stupid. 
    Ah I see. I'm no good at politics  haha
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,092
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    PJNB said:

No it’s not.  
    You don’t know anything about me.  Your just a troll...and you know it.  You’ve trolled me for quite a while.  Why is that?  

Do you ever post facts and links...or do you just believe anything lying corrupt politicians tell-you?  All sides. It’s doubtful.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    23scidoo said:
    I know a family  friend  that  works in a care home, has refused a vaccine and now there is a real chance  she loses her job. That's wrong
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

23scidoo said:
    I know a family  friend  that  works in a care home, has refused a vaccine and now there is a real chance  she loses her job. That's wrong
    The best is yet to come..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    PJNB said:

No it’s not.  
    You don’t know anything about me.  Your just a troll...and you know it.  You’ve trolled me for quite a while.  Why is that?  

Do you ever post facts and links...or do you just believe anything lying corrupt politicians tell-you?  All sides. It’s doubtful.  
    You posted an article from the right wing Financial Post with an obvious bent against the Liberals. Like Often pointed out, it only talks about cancer patients needing the second dose within the 21 day recommended time frame. Which seems reasonable to me. But the government has made the decision to get vaccines in more people sooner with the idea that it will save more lives, and the evidence supports that theory.

And as an anecdote it seems here in Alberta most people are getting or are going to get their second shot within a couple of weeks after the first anyways. This may all be a moot point because vaccines seem to be becoming more readily available.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    PJNB said:

No it’s not.  

I'm a troll. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. good one. 

I don't troll you. I have you on ignore. I only see your posts if someone else quotes it. try again. I only checked this post because I knew it would be some bitter post about me. 

I believe science. that's it. SCIENCE. 

oh, and it's "you're". 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

PJNB said:

No it’s not.  

I don't troll you. I have you on ignore. I only see your posts if someone else quotes it. try again. I only checked this post because I knew it would be some bitter post about me. 

oh, and it's "you're". 
    LMFAO.  I believe in Science.  Lmfao.  Yeah sure you do.  Then post something to back up your claim?  To bad you didn’t believe in good government and clean drinking ...

you are (is that better...) like most Canadians will waste your vote on either liberal of con...same old.  

I am at least willing to give SINGH A chance?  Maybe he will make an effort to get clean drinking water to ALL Canadians...

your such an arrogant person...go troll someone else.  

Give Peas A Chance…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJNB said:

No it’s not.  

oh, and it's "you're". 
    LMFAO.  I believe in Science.  Lmfao.  Yeah sure you do.  Then post something to back up your claim?  To bad you didn’t believe in good government and clean drinking ...

you are (is that better...) like most Canadians will waste your vote on either liberal of con...same old.  

I am at least willing to give SINGH A chance?  Maybe he will make an effort to get clean drinking water to ALL Canadians...

your such an arrogant person...go troll someone else.  

I voted NDP in the last federal election. The candidate got elected, too. 

That doesn’t make a damn bit of difference to the discussion about covid though. 
    https://youtu.be/md8pJFbMVnk
    The  first part  of this is an interesting theory about the clots. Makes sence. Is in the administering into a vein by mistake  maybe
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

I was talking to my Dr and he was saying he is head of the vaccine roll out in our area and the health minister  zoom called him to congratulate him personally.  But what i found interesting was he said they had AZ with a red top which was military  grade. Wtf does that mean. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

I'm watching  the news and Brazil is really in trouble  with this.   300.000 dead and running out of oxygen  my heart  is so heavy seeing the idiot president  there  basically  dismissed  masks and the lack of any lockdowns plus variant  they look fucked.  
    Why is the world responding  so different?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    edited March 2021
    I'm watching  the news and Brazil is really in trouble  with this.   300.000 dead and running out of oxygen  my heart  is so heavy seeing the idiot president  there  basically  dismissed  masks and the lack of any lockdowns plus variant  they look fucked.  
    Why is the world responding  so different?

A combination of leadership, population density, capacity, and percentage of population that is unreasonable?   You need a leader that can make hard choices, the more population dense your country is the harder it's going to be, and you need the Financial Capacity to weather the storm.  You also need the capacity to buy or manufacture vaccines.

Not all countries have these things (or any of them) :(
    Post edited by Zod on
    Its very sad indeed
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

We don't yet know enough about the need for vaccinating people who have already had covid but the current recommendation is that they be vaccinated. There is some recent preliminary data to suggest that they may only need one shot to really boost their immune response.

https://nationalpost.com/news/had-covid-if-youre-younger-one-dose-of-vaccine-might-be-enough

Had COVID? If you're younger, one dose of vaccine might be enough

Author of the article:

Sharon Kirkey
    Publishing date:
    Mar 23, 2021  •  2 days ago  •

Weeks after saying COVID-19 vaccine doses could be spaced out up to four months apart, a national expert advisory group is now deliberating whether one shot alone is sufficient for people who have had COVID.

Several recent small studies suggest that a single dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna shots can launch a rapid immune response in people previously infected with the pandemic virus.

The response is so strong, people with a known history of COVID are reporting vaccine side effects — fever, headache, chills and muscle and joint pain — more frequently than the never infected after the first dose. Normally, the second dose tends to be more prone to side effects.

“Somebody who has had COVID before seems to respond very quickly to a dose of vaccine,” said Dr. Caroline Quach-Thanh, a pediatric infectious disease specialist at the University of Montreal and co-chair of Canada’s National Advisory Committee on Immunization, or NACI.

“They respond as a naïve person would with their second shot,” Quach-Thanh said.

“The question that remains is that a one-size-fits-all for every previous infection? If you were asymptomatic at first infection, is it still OK?”

Also not clear is whether a single dose would be sufficient for older people who were previously infected or those with compromised immune systems.

But a one-dose-after-COVID strategy, as France’s top health authority, and now Quebec, has recommended, could stretch vaccine supplies and, while the vaccines are generally well tolerated, spare people unnecessary side effects of a second dose, researchers said.

One small study found that after the first dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, antibody titers — the amount of antibodies within a person’s blood — of previously infected “vaccinees” were 10 to 45 times as high as those of vaccinees without previous immunity when measured at the same time points after the first dose. For example, 13 to 16 days post-first dose, they were 25 times as high.

And while the antibody concentrations of people who had never been infected increased by a factor of three after the second shot, “no increase in antibody titers was observed in the COVID-19 survivors who received the second vaccine dose,” the researchers from the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York wrote, suggesting that a booster or second dose might be of little value.

What explains the stronger response in the previously infected? The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are both messenger RNA vaccines. They work by instructing the body’s cells to produce a piece of the spike-shaped protein that adorns the surface of the virus that causes COVID.

That triggers an immune response and, in response, the body produces antibodies to protect people from getting infected if the real virus enters their bodies.

If the body has already been primed by a past infection to recognize the spike protein, the immune cells respond more vigorously after the first shot of vaccine.

“There’s certainly the suggestion that if you have previously been infected, it’s kind of like having had your first dose” of vaccine, said Toronto infectious diseases specialist Dr. Andrew Morris.

The problem is that it’s not yet known how long those early differences in immune responses last or whether the same would hold true for older people. The Mount Sinai study involved mostly younger (mean age 40) healthy adults.

It’s also not known how durable the vaccine-based immune response will be. Six months? Longer? Less?

Quach-Thanh said the panel’s controversial decision taken earlier this month to recommend spacing shots out to up to 16 weeks to give more people a first dose now makes this “less of an emergency situation to tackle.” However, she said Quebec recently changed its approach, and now “anybody who had a previously confirmed COVID infection is only getting one dose of vaccine,” though the immunocompromised will still receive two.

But Quach-Thanh said most experts expect booster shots will become the norm in the future. It won’t be a matter of one and forever done. “Call it a booster dose, call it new vaccine against variants, call it whatever you want.”

There have been 941,000 confirmed infections in Canada, though the true number could be four times, even 10 times higher, based on how much testing is being done.

The Mount Sinai researchers suggested screening people for antibodies, if their infection history isn’t known. Others argue testing everyone for antibodies would seriously bog down the process. Rapid antibody tests can also produce false positive.

People could also have lower antibody levels after a COVID infection if they had mild or no symptoms. If someone was just found to be COVID-positive because there was mass screening in a long-term care facility they worked in, they may still need two full doses, Quach-Thanh suggested. “Will the response to a first dose of vaccine be the same for everybody who has had a COVID infection before, regardless of the severity of disease?”

A large study from Denmark suggests that a prior COVID infection gives people around 80 per cent protection again re-infection, though protection was only 47 per cent for people 65 and older.

Still, reinfection can happen, Morris said — “it’s not as rare as people think” — and mutations are increasing the risk, making it important that people who have already caught COVID be vaccinated.

For younger people, a one-dose strategy may be a reasonable approach, “but I think we need more data,” Morris said.

“For older people, I think it’s really unknown, and I think assuming you could get away with it is probably not necessarily so wise.”

In Quebec, “I cannot tell you what will happen if someone really wants the second dose — will it be offered or not? In the end it’s not dangerous, it’s not a contraindication to receive two doses,” said Dr. Nicholas Brousseau, chair of Quebec’s immunization committee. “It’s just not necessary, and the dose will be better used as a second dose for people who didn’t have COVID-19.”

EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

The companies don't care brother  thats well known
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

This discussion has been closed.