Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    Sorry for a dumb question, I don't have time for keeping up with covid now when Neil Young is releasing new stuff on vinyl every week.

But my brother got a positive corona-test. My sister got positive for having antibodies. 

Can they now visit my mom on her birthday mid march? Or can you still carry the disease, even when "immune"/having had it?
    I think there's still questions about catching or carrying the variants, even if you already tested positive.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    PJNB said:
    I don't know how the hell this happened, but in a matter of weeks we (low risk folks in Manitoba) went from being vaccinated september at the earliest/late year at the latest now to April or May of this year. 
    J&J plus Pfizer and Moderna finally coming through with promised shipments. Not sure about your province but ours is spreading out the first dose which pushes that timeline up too. 

Good news about Manitoba (and, I assume NB?). BC says all adults who want to be vaccinated can be by July, by extending the time between first and second dose. I'm excited for spring and summer. 

I'm guessing that all the anti-Trudeauites who were hoping that the slow start to vaccination would bring down the liberal government are now grumbling under their breath :lol: 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430
    PJNB said:
    I don't know how the hell this happened, but in a matter of weeks we (low risk folks in Manitoba) went from being vaccinated september at the earliest/late year at the latest now to April or May of this year. 
    J&J plus Pfizer and Moderna finally coming through with promised shipments. Not sure about your province but ours is spreading out the first dose which pushes that timeline up too. 
    This is HELPS out too:
    https://www.merck.com/news/merck-to-help-produce-johnson-barda-to-provide-merck-with-funding-to-expand-mercks-manufacturing-capacity-for-covid-19-vaccines-and-medicines/

Merck to Help Produce Johnson & Johnson’s COVID-19 Vaccine; BARDA to Provide Merck With Funding to Expand Merck’s Manufacturing Capacity for COVID-19 Vaccines and Medicines

March 2, 2021 4:30 pm EST

KENILWORTH, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Merck (NYSE:MRK), known as MSD outside the United States and Canada, announced today it has entered into multiple agreements to support efforts to expand manufacturing capacity and supply of SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 medicines and vaccines. The Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), a division of the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), will provide Merck with funding of up to $268.8 million to adapt and make available a number of existing manufacturing facilities for the production of SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 vaccines and medicines. Merck has also entered into agreements with Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc., one of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, to support the manufacturing and supply of Johnson & Johnson’s SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 vaccine. Merck will use its facilities in the United States to produce drug substance, formulate and fill vials of Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine.

“We are steadfast in our commitment to contribute to the global response to the pandemic as part of the remarkable efforts of the entire medical and scientific community,” said Mike Nally, executive vice president, Human Health at Merck. “This funding from BARDA will allow us to accelerate our efforts to scale up our manufacturing capacity to enable timely delivery of much needed medicines and vaccines for the pandemic.”

Under the terms of the BARDA agreement, Merck will adapt and make available some of the company’s existing manufacturing sites to accelerate manufacturing efforts for SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 vaccines and medicines. This funding is in addition to Merck’s continued investment in its global vaccines manufacturing network as part of its planned capital investments of more than $20 billion from 2020 through the end of 2024.

“At Merck, we have a rich legacy in vaccine manufacturing and look forward to combining our expertise with Johnson & Johnson to help increase supply and expand access to authorized SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 vaccines,” said Sanat Chattopadhyay, executive vice president and president, Merck Manufacturing Division.

Merck continues to be actively involved in discussions with governments, public health agencies, and other industry colleagues to identify additional areas of pandemic response where Merck can make a meaningful impact.
  • Options
    UtahBoltUtahBolt Posts: 188
    Just got the J&J shot today.  So far so good...
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,545
    edited March 2021
    Sorry for a dumb question, I don't have time for keeping up with covid now when Neil Young is releasing new stuff on vinyl every week.

But my brother got a positive corona-test. My sister got positive for having antibodies. 

Can they now visit my mom on her birthday mid march? Or can you still carry the disease, even when "immune"/having had it?
    I'm with Mace on this one. I think (I read but don't recall where) a village in Africa that had a covid-19 rampage early on all got sick again with variants. 

Is Sweden not vaccinating her age group yet? Today, we started booking 90+ year old and 65+ Indigenous. I got my mom an appt and then cried relief that she made it thus far. 

I'm thinking about protesting and not taking the vaccine until other countries have had their elderly vaccinated first. Canada is pulling an American asshole move and taking care of our own first, too.

Oh ya, my kid wondered why we're wasting the vaccine on 90+ since they're gonna die like next year anyways. So I'm doing a stellar job on raising another sociopath.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,020
    tish said:

I'm with Mace on this one. I think (I read but don't recall where) a village in Africa that had a covid-19 rampage early on all got sick again with variants. 

Is Sweden not vaccinating her age group yet? Today, we started booking 90+ year old and 65+ Indigenous. I got my mom an appt and then cried relief that she made it thus far. 

I'm thinking about protesting and not taking the vaccine until other countries have had their elderly vaccinated first. Canada is pulling an American asshole move and taking care of our own first, too.

Oh ya, my kid wondered why we're wasting the vaccine on 90+ since they're gonna die like next year anyways. So I'm doing a stellar job on raising another sociopath.
    Take the vaccin if you get the chance. 

My mom is only 63 years old. I don't know what group they are vaccinating right now, all I know is that it seems to be going slow.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,509
    Hahaha, why you deleting and why you post it first??

https://vk.com/video626942286_456239189
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

https://www.680news.com/2021/03/08/pfizer-first-expected-vaccine-wouldnt-be-approved-in-canada-until-february/

He also says the National Advisory Committee on Immunization did not contact Pfizer before it recommended changing delaying the second dose from three weeks to four months after the first shot.

Pinnow says Pfizer recommends sticking to the 21-day dose and that there is no evidence how well one dose works more than two months away from getting it.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

https://www.680news.com/2021/03/08/pfizer-first-expected-vaccine-wouldnt-be-approved-in-canada-until-february/

He also says the National Advisory Committee on Immunization did not contact Pfizer before it recommended changing delaying the second dose from three weeks to four months after the first shot.

Pinnow says Pfizer recommends sticking to the 21-day dose and that there is no evidence how well one dose works more than two months away from getting it.

Of course Pfizer recommends sticking to the 21 day schedule. They have to - that's the schedule that got regulatory approval, and that's the only schedule that they provided research on. The timing of the schedule in the Phase III studies was not based on scientific principles, it was based on expediency, so as to get the vaccine(s) approved and into use as soon as possible. It was probably the right thing to do, but there is sufficient evidence throughout immunology to suggest that this is an overly-short timeline for a second dose.

Immunity after 2 months seems to be holding fine so far. If it appears to drop at three months then the second dose schedule can be pulled back again. 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,963
    Infact I believe  I've read immunity  doesn't drop after 3 or 4 months. All good news for covering  large populations to a good level. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Infact I believe  I've read immunity  doesn't drop after 3 or 4 months. All good news for covering  large populations to a good level. 
    Rob, this is specifically referring to immunity after only one dose, not two. We don’t yet have data on longer term immunity after one dose of the mRNA vaccines since no jurisdiction has been doing that. We have to get the data to be certain but the weight of scientific info from other immunization suggest it should be fine. 
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631
    For the Massachusetts folks out there

Mass.gov added today to their travel order that “fully vaccinated individuals are exempt from travel restrictions, and do not need to quarantine or provide a negative COVID test when entering or returning to Massachusetts”
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJNB said:
    yeah, I just didn't think the announcement of the J&J vaccine would move it up that much. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,726
    Got our first two Modernas yesterday.  Hoping #2 goes well.  Good to be half way there!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    jpgoegeljpgoegel Posts: 410

Mass.gov added today to their travel order that “fully vaccinated individuals are exempt from travel restrictions, and do not need to quarantine or provide a negative COVID test when entering or returning to Massachusetts”
    that's great!   can't wait to venture out of the state soon
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496

Got my first Moderna on Friday w/ my wife. 

Looking forward to getting up to Maine and seeing her folks (late) next month. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Got our first two Modernas yesterday.  Hoping #2 goes well.  Good to be half way there!
    Greatest news brian
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Greatest news brian

Thanks, Rob.  I have to admit I was skeptical both because the vaccines were rushed out and have not had enough time to prove lack of long-term effects, but having them will eventually help others to feel more comfortable about getting together again.  There are a few family members and friends of mine who would be very hesitant to visit with me in the not-to-distant future if I am not vaccinated.  And I'm older so if there's a chance it will keep me well, I figure, go for it.  And if the vacc really does mean nanobots are coursing through my veins and allowing A.I. to take over my body, well, what are you gonna do?! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Greatest news brian

Thanks, Rob.  I have to admit I was skeptical both because the vaccines were rushed out and have not had enough time to prove lack of long-term effects, but having them will eventually help others to feel more comfortable about getting together again.  There are a few family members and friends of mine who would be very hesitant to visit with me in the not-to-distant future if I am not vaccinated.  And I'm older so if there's a chance it will keep me well, I figure, go for it.  And if the vacc really does mean nanobots are coursing through my veins and allowing A.I. to take over my body, well, what are you gonna do?! 
    long term effects of any vaccine has been pegged at roughly 40 or so days. volunteers were monitored long past that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,787
    My father was easily able to get his first shot this past Saturday. Very happy for him. He’ll be 60 in a few weeks and his second shot is scheduled right on his birthday. I haven’t spent time with him
    in over a year. I’ve seen him multiple times outside at a distance but I can’t wait to get quality time in again. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    Just got my Moderna shot!
    An hour ago I was at work and got the call from a local health clinic. I had signed up on a wait list for when they had extra shots. My boss got her first shot here with no side effects. Hopefully I won't either.

• Options
    An hour ago I was at work and got the call from a local health clinic. I had signed up on a wait list for when they had extra shots. My boss got her first shot here with no side effects. Hopefully I won't either.

Great news, and good luck! 
  • Options

Awesome!  I have a few members who were lucky enough to get the end of the day phone call saying "we have extras" recently
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
  • Options
    Great to see .^^. 
    This is how I got my first shot. Left overs.  Glad none is going to waste for us who want the vaccine. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    This is a bit odd (maybe not?)-  my wife's arm got really sore today right after we got our first Moderna.  I felt nothing.  She also started feeling crumby and still has a sore arm.  I felt nothing for the first 6 hours or so but now it's starting to hit me- sore arm, lower back pain, low grade fever, blah feeling. 
    I sometimes think I'm a bit dense.  Maybe it's just that I'm a bit slow! :tongue:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    That is perfectly  normal bri.
    A good immune  response.  Its working. I had those  and more symptoms about 3am after having the shot at 2.30pm. My partner  didn't get a response  until a day later she has a thyroid disorder  everything is slower with her.  Pulse 49 ffs haha
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    A good immune  response.  Its working. I had those  and more symptoms about 3am after having the shot at 2.30pm. My partner  didn't get a response  until a day later she has a thyroid disorder  everything is slower with her.  Pulse 49 ffs haha

Good to know, Rob, thank you! I've had some really tremendously bad flu bugs in the past so anything that feels like "sick" get me concerned.  Knowing the way I feel is normal is reassuring!  :smile:

• Options
    brianlux said:

Good to know, Rob, thank you! I've had some really tremendously bad flu bugs in the past so anything that feels like "sick" get me concerned.  Knowing the way I feel is normal is reassuring!  :smile:
    I got pretty rocked between the 12-24 hour post injection time frame after the first Pfizer
  • Options
    Rob, this is specifically referring to immunity after only one dose, not two. We don’t yet have data on longer term immunity after one dose of the mRNA vaccines since no jurisdiction has been doing that. We have to get the data to be certain but the weight of scientific info from other immunization suggest it should be fine. 

Sorry for quoting my post but I wanted to correct an error and no point in editing it back where no-one will see it.

Had a brain blurp yesterday when I wrote that. The UK has extended the dose interval up to 12 weeks, so there is preliminary data from that, though not the 16 weeks. I hope that BC and whichever other provinces in Canada that decide to extend the dosing interval to 16 weeks, have robust studies planned. This opportunity for study shouldn't be missed. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I got pretty rocked between the 12-24 hour post injection time frame after the first Pfizer

I hear you, Weston.  I'm getting my ass kicked down a couple flights on concrete stairs this morning from the first Moderna vacc.  Woke up feeling like death warmed over and lower back pain that had me moaning.  NOT looking forward to Moderna #2 (but will do it). 

This discussion has been closed.