Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    03/04/2021, all will be revealed.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623

People looking in good faith for honest debate definitely say things like "I am actually begging all in here to change my mind" and "Help me be scared of this virus. Please!"

They also post cartoons making jokes about people not being able to hug their loved ones as they die.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I have a co-worker who had many discussion Re: masks and other measures during this year. Good guy, but didn’t believe the data and always found “alternative data” to justify.

His mom passed the end of January due to covid. He went through it with her, she was older and died pretty quickly after getting it.

I feel terrible for him. And I think he wished he had a do-over year. 
    ...and I feel for your co-worker.  I would assume she is an older lady?  I would ask what, if any, other co-morbidities she had based on data that I have combed through I would guess she had around 2.4, as that is the average?

For every story like this, there are stories of lockdown measures killing younger people as well.  It's why I ask, at what point does the health of our children and young people outweigh our elderly population?  In other words, work to protect our elderly and let everyone else move on with their life.  Look at these recent statistics our children struggling across the nation.

• Options

People looking in good faith for honest debate definitely say things like "I am actually begging all in here to change my mind" and "Help me be scared of this virus. Please!"
    I love how everything I type gets picked apart here, I truly do.  Hopefully you guys analyze all data points like you do my posts.  We might actually come to agree on certain things.
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    What was the spread in February during the Kobe memorial? How many cases, rates of infection, deaths, etc.? How would you classify the attendees as representatives of society at large? What do you think or how would you rate their average exposure risk? Did either of your two “journalistic” covid sources have a list of attendees and follow up with any of them 10-14 days after the event to determine whether they, or anyone they’re close to, contract covid? I sincerely doubt that level of investigative reporting took place. But you be you.
    Again, if we didn't get brow beat about how big and scary this virus is, if we took off the masks and opened everything back up, and lived our normal lives, do you think we would even know the coronavirus existed?  I tend to believe we would have no clue this virus even existed.
    Yes we would know. We’d be thinking “wtf is up with flu season this year, it’s awful...500,000 people in the US dead!”

The better question is if Q didn’t tell you what to think would you be able to know what real things to pretend are imaginary and what fake things to pretend are real? 
    Well, except that number would be much, much higher.

Good point. 
    See my post above.  Does it not stand to reason that we are going to be counting covid deaths long into the future?  Looking back, would it also not to stand to reason we would be better off now letting it run its course and have herd immunity achieved sooner, than later?

As an aside, I'll be gone for a bit so I don't want people to think I am dodging anything.  God Bless all!
  • Options
    Spend a little more time on the google machine and a lot less time on the Twitter machine. You can do it!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    I have a co-worker who had many discussion Re: masks and other measures during this year. Good guy, but didn’t believe the data and always found “alternative data” to justify.

His mom passed the end of January due to covid. He went through it with her, she was older and died pretty quickly after getting it.

...and I feel for your co-worker.  I would assume she is an older lady?  I would ask what, if any, other co-morbidities she had based on data that I have combed through I would guess she had around 2.4, as that is the average?

For every story like this, there are stories of lockdown measures killing younger people as well.  It's why I ask, at what point does the health of our children and young people outweigh our elderly population?  In other words, work to protect our elderly and let everyone else move on with their life.  Look at these recent statistics our children struggling across the nation.

Why either/or? Perhaps provide more available resources for mental health services. Mental health/behavioral services are extremely limited for youth. Intersect race, ethnicity, SES, and resources become increasingly limited.
  • Options

I love how everything I type gets picked apart here, I truly do.  Hopefully you guys analyze all data points like you do my posts.  We might actually come to agree on certain things.
    It sucks when people read things you write and then respond to them. 

I'm so sorry you're going through this. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    OnWis97 said:
    What was the spread in February during the Kobe memorial? How many cases, rates of infection, deaths, etc.? How would you classify the attendees as representatives of society at large? What do you think or how would you rate their average exposure risk? Did either of your two “journalistic” covid sources have a list of attendees and follow up with any of them 10-14 days after the event to determine whether they, or anyone they’re close to, contract covid? I sincerely doubt that level of investigative reporting took place. But you be you.
    Again, if we didn't get brow beat about how big and scary this virus is, if we took off the masks and opened everything back up, and lived our normal lives, do you think we would even know the coronavirus existed?  I tend to believe we would have no clue this virus even existed.
    Yes we would know. We’d be thinking “wtf is up with flu season this year, it’s awful...500,000 people in the US dead!”

The better question is if Q didn’t tell you what to think would you be able to know what real things to pretend are imaginary and what fake things to pretend are real? 
    Well, except that number would be much, much higher.

Good point. 
    See my post above.  Does it not stand to reason that we are going to be counting covid deaths long into the future?  Looking back, would it also not to stand to reason we would be better off now letting it run its course and have herd immunity achieved sooner, than later?

As an aside, I'll be gone for a bit so I don't want people to think I am dodging anything.  God Bless all!
    What do you make of the excess mortality rate in 2020? You seem to think it's from other things, but the numbers don't support your theories. You have access to the same data we do, but you continue to seek out anything that minimizes or outright denies Covid is really an issue.

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    Keep trolling, sooner or later you are bound to get someone to bite.
    Yeah, umm, not really trolling.  Actually trying to get honest debate about all of this.  As I stated when I started posting a couple of months ago, I read and watch sources from both sides.  I have formed my opinion around that.  This place becomes an echo chamber, you need reasonable debate on both sides.  And your comment is weird in the sense that you literally bite every single time.  

I will try to say this once and for all, the links and things that I post are twitter posts, but every single one I have posted has hard data, articles, or actual videos.  As far as the comment above about tik tok, again, there are videos everywhere of tik tok dances of hospital staff all over the country.  

I am actually begging all in here to change my mind.  Show me the science.  Help me be scared of this virus.  Please!

It's obvious the mask debate went nowhere and we are all stuck on our opinions there.  Let's try a new question that I would love debate on:

If this virus is as bad as we are lead to believe, how come all 50 states did not enact the same measures and really try to get rid of this virus all at once?  Further, going back to my theory that it's all about the political science, how come red states and blue states had vastly different measures and ultimately ended up in the same situation? 
    I haven't seen those videos, but I've never been on Tik Tok. Even if true, I don't see what that has to do with anything? Just because the ICU beds are full the staff isn't suppose to make someone  feel better in their last moments? There wasn't a shortage of staff in many cases (yes, in some locations at some times), its not like every hospital was running from code red to code red without a lunch break. They just had more ICU patients that normally, and more deaths. I would imagine if you worked in a place like that and saw more deaths every month than you typically do, you'd try to do something to cheer yourself up and others. 
    I do think the numbers were likely counted in a way to inflate them. In my book, getting shot while having covid does not make it a covid death. So what does that mean? 400,000 died instead of 500,000? Is that really that big of a difference? Does that make covid not a thing in your book? 300,000, 400,000, 500,000, what is really the difference when you get to those numbers in terms of fighting the virus?
    Each governor ran their state as they saw fit based on their population, demographics and probably personal beliefs. There was no federal mandate that said what each state had to do. I agree with some of their decisions, and disagree with others. Not much was known a year ago, I don't fault them for shutting down in March and April. I disagree with those who shut down again in the fall. Masks and social distancing make the biggest difference. Private gatherings are by far the biggest spreader. I talked about that the other day. Private gatherings is responsible for upwards of 80% of the cases. That is why you don't see a huge difference in outcome despite the different approaches. Even with different levels of shutdowns, most everywhere required a mask and social distancing. It is difficult to police private gatherings. That is why red and blue states handled it differently and ended up in the same situation. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106

I said she was older. She got covid and died from covid. This from him. Who thought it was over reported previously. She was actually an extremely healthy older lady apparently. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

For every covid death there is a story of a younger person killed by the covid prevention protocols? I call bs
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225

For every covid death there is a story of a younger person killed by the covid prevention protocols? I call bs
    You mean you haven't heard the stories of 500,000 young Americans committing suicide in the past year cause they couldn't go to the movies?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:

You mean you haven't heard the stories of 500,000 young Americans committing suicide in the past year cause they couldn't go to the movies?
    Total ass comment. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    edited February 2021
    How weird. I’m sure I posted data a couple of weeks ago that showed that the suicide rate did not actually go up in 2020, and in fact may have gone down. Not just in the US, either, but also in those other countries participating in the great COVID scam designed to get trump out of office. 

Edit: lots more that I want to say about the issue of the pandemic and mental health concerns, but will have to come back to they later. Suffice it to say that the presence of the pandemic itself and associated illness, death and loss, is the cause of a lot of challenges, not the mask wearing. 
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    How weird. I’m sure I posted data a couple of weeks ago that showed that the suicide rate did not actually go up in 2020, and in fact may have gone down. Not just in the US, either, but also in those other countries participating in the great COVID scam designed to get trump out of office. 
    This thread is chock full of legitimate data and sources. There are a few players on here who need to go back to page one and read or review before jumping in on the last few pages and posting twitter bullshit and avoiding answers and then claiming to want to “debate.”

”Show me the science.” It’s there if you care to find it or look at what’s already been posted.

03/04/2021, the truth will set you free. It’s all part of the plan.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    :i_dunno:
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Total ass comment. 
    In case you weren't sure I was being facetious.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

Total ass comment. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

Total ass comment. 

Wait till I get going.
  • Options
    And just like that, one week after February break ends, we get a positive case letter from one of the schools. I hope it's just a one-off thing, but I wouldn't be surprised to see several more over the coming weeks. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    And just like that, one week after February break ends, we get a positive case letter from one of the schools. I hope it's just a one-off thing, but I wouldn't be surprised to see several more over the coming weeks. 
    You really need to be more specific. The school made you aware of someone that had covid, caught it elsewhere and was at school? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dankind said:
    You really need to be more specific. The school made you aware of someone that had covid, caught it elsewhere and was at school? 
    I would be more specific but HIPAA and all. 

The schools here have to inform parents if a member of their community (student body, educators, administrators, facilitators) tests positive for Covid-19. We were getting these letters daily for a while since we have kids in two of the schools (elementary and middle), but I hadn’t seen one in my inbox for a couple of weeks at least. Until yesterday.

(I should mention that the schools will send a second letter if your child is determined to have been in close contact with the positive case, which is still anonymous, of course, because HIPAA). 

Most students in my region had a week off during Prez Day week. I fear that the combination of better data leading to complacency, school break, and fresh powder may have fucked us again. 

Honestly, my kids are better off if we get more cases because that might shut down all this talk of an April school reopening. As mentioned earlier, our children (and many in a similar situation) cannot go back to school in person full time in April because our entire household has comorbidities and the vaccine rollout here (not a red state but a red-led state) has been pretty atrocious (improving now).
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

The schools here have to inform parents if a member of their community (student body, educators, administrators, facilitators) tests positive for Covid-19. We were getting these letters daily for a while since we have kids in two of the schools (elementary and middle), but I hadn’t seen one in my inbox for a couple of weeks at least. Until yesterday.

(I should mention that the schools will send a second letter if your child is determined to have been in close contact with the positive case, which is still anonymous, of course, because HIPAA). 

Most students in my region had a week off during Prez Day week. I fear that the combination of better data leading to complacency, school break, and fresh powder may have fucked us again. 

Honestly, my kids are better off if we get more cases because that might shut down all this talk of an April school reopening. As mentioned earlier, our children (and many in a similar situation) cannot go back to school in person full time in April because our entire household has comorbidities and the vaccine rollout here (not a red state but a red-led state) has been pretty atrocious (improving now).
    Good luck to you ongoing.

HIPPA doesn’t prevent sharing the data of if covid was deemed transmitted at school or elsewhere. My school district is providing that info. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

HIPPA doesn’t prevent sharing the data of if covid was deemed transmitted at school or elsewhere. My school district is providing that info. 
    As far as I can recall, we have not received one letter all year regarding in-school transmission. That would surprise me. 

It won’t surprise me at all, however, to see shloads of such letters if they rush into the April reopening. 

My son’s school was built in 1911. Kids were passing out because of poor ventilation pre-Covid-19. 

This town needs an enema. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

As far as I can recall, we have not received one letter all year regarding in-school transmission. That would surprise me. 

It won’t surprise me at all, however, to see shloads of such letters if they rush into the April reopening. 

My son’s school was built in 1911. Kids were passing out because of poor ventilation pre-Covid-19. 

Yeah you mentioned the poor ventilation. Obviously part of safe protocols. Not all schools are created equal. Many can be fine and many shouldn’t open if they can’t meet the protocols 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    yeah, a global pandemic will do that. weird, huh?
    So at what point do we do all we can to protect the elderly, the only population the virus truly harms, and move on with life?  
    I was trying to stay out of this discussion but you got me here. I personally have spent the last year of my life doing everything I can to protect the elderly, as one of them lives in my home, with several co-morbities that I have also spent over three years prior fighting for her. This is what it has meant for me and her -- being cooped up in the house going on a year. Masking when I'm on the weekly grocery store run. Most importantly, teaching from home, because I know if I had been forced into a school building in MY community (not some idyllic wealthy white enclave) where the positivity rate in a two square mile radius is STILL close to 20%, she would be dead. I've kept her out of the hospital for over three years from heart failure and diabetes complications (her cardiologist says we are role models), and on one bad day in this past year, I could have brought home Covid and killed her if my local school district didn't have the sense and HEART to keep our schools shut. 

Dude, ONE-THIRD of this nation's population is elderly. I am not alone in my caretaker role. There are millions of us. How do you propose keeping that one-third of the population alive without impacting everyone else? Tell me what research says to isolate about 100 million people while the rest of us go about our lives? Can't wait to read it. It will make me feel so much better to know there's something different I could have done.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Yeah you mentioned the poor ventilation. Obviously part of safe protocols. Not all schools are created equal. Many can be fine and many shouldn’t open if they can’t meet the protocols 
    It seems like the key to keeping our schools safe is (at least in our district):
    socially distance as best as you can (sometimes impossible with 22 students in my class)
    don't switch classes (kids stay in the same classroom all day)
    mask up
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    My school district voted this week to open K-4 with the jacked up hybrid (5-2 vote) and keep 5-12 virtual for the remainder of the year (4-3 vote). 

I'm in the middle of our persuasion unit, so in the two weeks leading up to the vote, students wrote letters to the school board expressing their opinion. I couldn't require them to send it, but four volunteered. It was 3-1 expressing a desire to continue online. Common refrains -- kids don't take this seriously and won't wear their masks and they don't want to bring it home. I was proud when one of the school board members addressed all of them directly at the meeting and encouraged them to continue to use their voices, that their voices were important. I played that clip in class the next day. 

I'm still working through the grading and will be curious as to where the final count lands. At the pre-writing stage, a Zoom poll revealed one third wanted to go back, one third wanted to stay home, and one third wasn't sure. 

More people need to start listening to what kids actually say, not what we want them to say. 

• Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631
    South Carolina has lifted all curfews, alcohol sale restrictions, gathering and large event attendance limits as of Tomorrow.  Basically they're just "encouraging" mask wearing and thats it.

https://www.wistv.com/2021/02/26/sc-governor-allow-alcohol-sales-past-pm-lift-covid-restrictions-gatherings/
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
This discussion has been closed.