Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,774
    Hobbes said:
    South Carolina has lifted all curfews, alcohol sale restrictions, gathering and large event attendance limits as of Tomorrow.  Basically they're just "encouraging" mask wearing and thats it.

https://www.wistv.com/2021/02/26/sc-governor-allow-alcohol-sales-past-pm-lift-covid-restrictions-gatherings/
    As SC maintains the lead for cases per capita. https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/02/26/world/covid-19-coronavirus/south-carolinas-governor-rolls-back-restrictions-but-cases-away-from-the-coast-remain-stubbornly-high
    Yeah, I wouldn't use SC as an example. I used to live there and have many best friends there, in Charleston. Even the reasonable ones among them are going to clubs maskless and having backyard parties galore. The food and beverage industry especially has been crushed with cases. Hospitality is a big part of their culture in general and their biggest economic driver. Not having parties for a year hasn't really been a thing they could do successfully. 

Use NYC as an example. We are 12th on that list. NYS cases are down barely 50% from the January peak while the country is down over 70%. NYS is among the worst states in the country, which should be puzzling since most New Yorkers respect science and masks are worn by almost all. 

Yes it is believed the worst variant of all is in NY. What else is different here? NYC was the first big city to have widespread school openings, and in the near suburbs where I am, schools have been open for the entire school year, and now most schools are at nearly 100% building capacity 4 days a week.

yet unlike the Trump years, there is no media check here. Outside of the news last week about this new variant and nursing homes, the media never mentions that Cuomo and the state have done a horrible job on covid safety since September. The state  rewrites the rules here to keep schools open, and cases are even starting to tick up this week. NY is middle of the pack in vaccine rollout, yet getting an appointment here is almost always impossible to find.
    Brought this up a whole bunch of times here last year only to be told “No It’s All Trump”. Hopefully with Trump out of office we can now see how bad some of these other useless governors completely dropped the ball. 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,605
    Wow! Some gubners are better than others? You don’t sayshaa? In the absence of the Golden D, who might it be? Rs rule, eh? 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Reading this forum is like listening to a pile of people who need a safe space.  Sad as hell, and it’s exactly why we’re in the lame ass position we’re in. Man up, go to your jobs and go back to school.  Masks? Cool, if that makes you feel better, no problem there.  Just stop being daisies and get on it, merica.  Don’t be like the drawer of girls in this forum, what a bunch of sassiebunnies.
    Toxic masculinity at its finest.
  • Options
    Wow! Some gubners are better than others? You don’t sayshaa? In the absence of the Golden D, who might it be? Rs rule, eh? 
    What is this? 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,946
    This place is confusing 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Reading this forum is like listening to a pile of people who need a safe space.  Sad as hell, and it’s exactly why we’re in the lame ass position we’re in. Man up, go to your jobs and go back to school.  Masks? Cool, if that makes you feel better, no problem there.  Just stop being daisies and get on it, merica.  Don’t be like the drawer of girls in this forum, what a bunch of sassiebunnies.
    Toxic masculinity at its finest.
    It just shows the person for what they are right here
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited March 2021
    John Oliver killed Cuomo last night. Scroll down a bit on this page for the video: John Oliver Unloads on ‘Colossal Asshole’ Andrew Cuomo
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    John Oliver killed Cuomo last night. Scroll down a bit on this page for the video: John Oliver Unloads on ‘Colossal Asshole’ Andrew Cuomo
    Ha. All of a sudden eh? Guy has been a major bully and a dick for quite some time. 
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    nicknyr15 said:
    Ha. All of a sudden eh? Guy has been a major bully and a dick for quite some time. 
    I know a couple of people (my boss and my father among them) who were all about this guy when he was giving those daily briefings, probably because he was in opposition of Trump. But now, with Trump vanquished, and these reports coming out about the nursing homes, they're singing a different tune. Which I respect. There's nothing worse than the person that won't acknowledge when someone on their "team" deserves blame/criticism...as we've all seen with some of Trump's biggest fans. But this guy is a joke. His briefings, his appearances on his brother's show, his book, and most laughable of all, his Emmy award. Give me a break. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    nicknyr15 said:
    I know a couple of people (my boss and my father among them) who were all about this guy when he was giving those daily briefings, probably because he was in opposition of Trump. But now, with Trump vanquished, and these reports coming out about the nursing homes, they're singing a different tune. Which I respect. There's nothing worse than the person that won't acknowledge when someone on their "team" deserves blame/criticism...as we've all seen with some of Trump's biggest fans. But this guy is a joke. His briefings, his appearances on his brother's show, his book, and most laughable of all, his Emmy award. Give me a break. 

The new nursing home scandal, as terrible as it is, is a bit of a false flag as it’s solely a reporting issue. The nursing home scandal last March was horrible, but that’s not the media focus now.

NYS is doing horribly with the virus, among one of the worst states the past few months, and cuomo and his media are pretending schools are completely safe. Schools are probably safer than restaurants, but that does not make them safe. And no one will take on the state govt nor the school districts here, and there is no media holding them accountable like they did with Trump. People are getting sick and dying, and NYS is pretending it’s doing a good job and safe to have schools at near 100% capacity.
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631
    edited March 2021
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,157
    nicknyr15 said:

The new nursing home scandal, as terrible as it is, is a bit of a false flag as it’s solely a reporting issue. The nursing home scandal last March was horrible, but that’s not the media focus now.

NYS is doing horribly with the virus, among one of the worst states the past few months, and cuomo and his media are pretending schools are completely safe. Schools are probably safer than restaurants, but that does not make them safe. And no one will take on the state govt nor the school districts here, and there is no media holding them accountable like they did with Trump. People are getting sick and dying, and NYS is pretending it’s doing a good job and safe to have schools at near 100% capacity.
    Schools are open where I live(BC, Canada) but here it feels like the government picked and chose things they felt was important to keep open.  Very much at the expense of personal relationships (Which for what feels like 4 months, you're not really suppose to visit people outside our own household).

I think you can pull off schools being open, but it means you have to sacrifice social contacts somewhere else.   I'm also not sure what the long term ramifications are keeping kids at home for 2 years to ride out coronavirus.   Education wise, and social wise (2 years of not evolving their ability to handle personal relationships etc..).
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Zod said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Schools are open where I live(BC, Canada) but here it feels like the government picked and chose things they felt was important to keep open.  Very much at the expense of personal relationships (Which for what feels like 4 months, you're not really suppose to visit people outside our own household).

I think you can pull off schools being open, but it means you have to sacrifice social contacts somewhere else.   I'm also not sure what the long term ramifications are keeping kids at home for 2 years to ride out coronavirus.   Education wise, and social wise (2 years of not evolving their ability to handle personal relationships etc..).
    I went to public school for 13 years, university and grad school for 7 more years, and suffered from situational anxiety and depression for all 20 of those years. 

Sure, I made some lifelong friends as well, but if I had the option back then to do it all from home or just not around other people who made me awfully uncomfortable, that would have been fabulous. 

Thankfully, I’m an adult now, and I know that all the cruel social bullshit that I went through in school is just that. Cruelty and bullshit. 

None of it has applied to my adult life. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    dankind said:
    Zod said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I went to public school for 13 years, university and grad school for 7 more years, and suffered from situational anxiety and depression for all 20 of those years. 

Sure, I made some lifelong friends as well, but if I had the option back then to do it all from home or just not around other people who made me awfully uncomfortable, that would have been fabulous. 

Thankfully, I’m an adult now, and I know that all the cruel social bullshit that I went through in school is just that. Cruelty and bullshit. 

None of it has applied to my adult life. 

If I think back on pre-college schooling there was always someone in class who likely would've loved the option to be elsewhere.  I was always a very social person and the only part of school I truly liked was being around other people.  I think your point is a strong one - some people do not find a groove, for whatever reason, and it causes a lot of misery for them.
    In college I went to a large University and felt there was a group for everyone - sure seemed like it - but it could be that many felt far outside/alone in things as well.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Our provincial health officer has decided to delay all second doses of the vaccines to 16 weeks, from the prior schedule of 6 weeks. This is based on new data coming out that suggests a high level of protection starting a few weeks after the first dose and lasting for at least a few months. The new roll out plan means that more people get their first dose more quickly; in fact, the current projections are that every adult who wants to be vaccinated will have their first dose by end of July, which is amazing. 

I have some ambivalence about this, because the data on this is preliminary and it's potentially quite a gamble to make this big a change without the backing of the approval data. I sure hope the province is planning to robustly gather data, so that this can be a useful study for other jurisdictions. On the other hand, it seems to provide the most benefit to the greatest number of people, which I'm in favour of. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,237
    Our provincial health officer has decided to delay all second doses of the vaccines to 16 weeks, from the prior schedule of 6 weeks. This is based on new data coming out that suggests a high level of protection starting a few weeks after the first dose and lasting for at least a few months. The new roll out plan means that more people get their first dose more quickly; in fact, the current projections are that every adult who wants to be vaccinated will have their first dose by end of July, which is amazing. 

I have some ambivalence about this, because the data on this is preliminary and it's potentially quite a gamble to make this big a change without the backing of the approval data. I sure hope the province is planning to robustly gather data, so that this can be a useful study for other jurisdictions. On the other hand, it seems to provide the most benefit to the greatest number of people, which I'm in favour of. 
    2 weeks to flatten the curve
    4 weeks between doses
    6 weeks between doses
    16 weeks between doses.....

I can see why people are losing faith.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242

4 weeks between doses
    6 weeks between doses

Which is odd to me because many seem to be of a "faith" background when it comes to a god they have never seen in real life. Not sure why changes based on measurable data would be such a stretch.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    It’s not surprising to me that news/guidelines change. To think we know everything about this virus, the vaccine, and how to try and survive it all would be arrogant. 

I mean c’mon, if there’s one thing human are not, it’s arrogant 🙄
  • Options

Its not a gamble based on our data. Its a lifesaver and I'm glad we took that chance to find out.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options

4 weeks between doses
    6 weeks between doses

Because this is a fluid situation and now we have live data. The spacing in the trials didn't extend past the 21 days between shots.  Now live data is showing immunity keeps growing upto 3 months maybe more   and the second dose only adds longevity and maybe a 14% raise in immunity. 
    So spacings  actually  help
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited March 2021
    The "two weeks to flatten the curve" failure that ignoramuses keep crying over never fucking happened. The US never collectively participated in such a thing. Yes, we were advised to, but it didn't happen.

Sure, I've been advised to do things and ignored that advice to my own detriment. What I've never done is blamed the advice given that I failed to take, especially when there's widespread evidence of folks following that advice to great success. That's some pretzel logic, right there.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    0 masks
    1 mask
    2 masks
    14 day quarantine 
    10 day quarantine 
    7 day quarantine 
    10 feet apart
    6 feet apart
    On and on....
  • Options
    Masks . Yes
    Quarantine  14 days ideal
    6 feet plus apart.
    Its all quite simple  and we have lived a year and learned
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options

Its not a gamble based on our data. Its a lifesaver and I'm glad we took that chance to find out.
    It is still a gamble in some respects, Rob, even though in some respects  it has worked out positively so far. The data is preliminary and hasn’t been peer reviewed or replicated, and there is some contradictory data from other jurisdictions showing lower than expected protection with the delay in second dose. It’s such a fluid situation that what seems the right thing today could be disastrous over time. But in any event we’re doing it, so fingers crossed. 
  • Options
    0 masks
    1 mask
    2 masks
    14 day quarantine 
    10 day quarantine 
    7 day quarantine 
    10 feet apart
    6 feet apart
    On and on....
    Refusing to learn from data and experience is not quite as good a look as you seem to think it is 
  • Options
    0 masks
    1 mask
    2 masks
    14 day quarantine 
    10 day quarantine 
    7 day quarantine 
    10 feet apart
    6 feet apart
    On and on....
    Earth is flat
    Earth is center of the universe
    There are only 9 planets
    There are genetic differences between races
    MAGA
    On and on...

• Options
    0 masks
    1 mask
    2 masks
    14 day quarantine 
    10 day quarantine 
    7 day quarantine 
    10 feet apart
    6 feet apart
    On and on....
    Refusing to learn from data and experience is not quite as good a look as you seem to think it is 
    Is everyone prepared to live in their bubble as long as the data keeps changing? It’s a virus it will forever change. How long are you willing to stay home? It’s been 1 year.......2, 5, 10 years.....serious questions. 
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    0 masks
    1 mask
    2 masks
    14 day quarantine 
    10 day quarantine 
    7 day quarantine 
    10 feet apart
    6 feet apart
    On and on....
    Earth is flat
    There are only 9 planets
    MAGA
    On and on...

MAGA?
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    0 masks
    1 mask
    2 masks
    14 day quarantine 
    10 day quarantine 
    7 day quarantine 
    10 feet apart
    6 feet apart
    On and on....
    Earth is flat
    There are only 9 planets
    MAGA
    On and on...

MAGA?
    I figured that was disproven by now as well, no?
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    0 masks
    1 mask
    2 masks
    14 day quarantine 
    10 day quarantine 
    7 day quarantine 
    10 feet apart
    6 feet apart
    On and on....
    Is everyone prepared to live in their bubble as long as the data keeps changing? It’s a virus it will forever change. How long are you willing to stay home? It’s been 1 year.......2, 5, 10 years.....serious questions. 
    One more year tops
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
This discussion has been closed.