Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    dignin said:

Face masks: what the data say

The science supports that face coverings are saving lives during the coronavirus pandemic, and yet the debate trundles on. How much evidence is enough?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8
    My opinion here.  . . The thing about the mask that people question is that most of us see compliance in our communities, but the case counts keep going up. Here in the DC metro area, this has been my observation. I don't see a lot of maskless people out on my errands, but we're having another surge.

I  think what's happening is that we're not considering transmission in the home, where none of us wear masks.  It seems entirely possible to me that some people are just unlucky. For whatever reason, masked or not, they're picking up the virus, taking it home and infecting the entire household, which is driving up case counts. I don't see a future where people keep masks in in their own house, unless they know they've been infected already. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dignin said:

The science supports that face coverings are saving lives during the coronavirus pandemic, and yet the debate trundles on. How much evidence is enough?

My opinion here.  . . The thing about the mask that people question is that most of us see compliance in our communities, but the case counts keep going up. Here in the DC metro area, this has been my observation. I don't see a lot of maskless people out on my errands, but we're having another surge.

I  think what's happening is that we're not considering transmission in the home, where none of us wear masks.  It seems entirely possible to me that some people are just unlucky. For whatever reason, masked or not, they're picking up the virus, taking it home and infecting the entire household, which is driving up case counts. I don't see a future where people keep masks in in their own house, unless they know they've been infected already. 
    If I still lived in an apartment, I would probably wear a mask in my sleep.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    dankind said:
    dignin said:

Word.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,046
    My city is going from Orange to Yellow tonight meaning we can be with family and friends that are not in our household. Hopefully can stay that way until at least Christmas. 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    Rich nations, like Canada, have bought too many coronavirus vaccines: Amnesty International - National | Globalnews.ca

Math is not the Prime Minister's strength.  Corruption is more of his strength....
    You're upset that Trudeau acquired too many vaccines? 
    Conservatives here were raging that he didn't get enough, now they are raging that he got too much. Even though it has been explicitly stated that we will be giving to less fortunate countries.

Turns out conservatives in Canada share many characteristics as conservatives in the US. One of them being no shame.
    And more on that theme - conservatives last week were irate that Canada wouldn't receive vaccine until the first quarter of 2021, complaining that government incompetency meant we were destined to be one of the "have not" countries. Now that the process of review and approval  has gone smoother than expected and vaccine is expected to arrive next week, the conservatives are screaming that the federal government "lied" to the public about the timeline so "how can the public trust them on anything?". Getting your digs in supersedes being pleased about a positive outcome for the country. 
    advice: don't follow Theo Fleury on twitter. he's the Aubrey Huff of Canadian social media athlete politics. 

advice: don't assume anyone else is on twitter.
    Unfollowing AOC and Obama now!
    If it makes you happy. 
    You missed the sarcasm apparently...
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    dankind said:
    dignin said:

Word.

Funny you should say that. I live in an apartment.  It has been a real worry of mine. I definitely keep the fresh air circulating from outside, and purify the air with tea tree oil on a regular basis. So far so good.

Late last night we had an EMS visit to my building I didn't see anyone carried out on a stretcher, and I have no idea what happened. This has been the 3rd EMS visit to my block since March. Could be coincidence. I don't know.
    Post edited by what dreams on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    dignin said:
    Rich nations, like Canada, have bought too many coronavirus vaccines: Amnesty International - National | Globalnews.ca

Math is not the Prime Minister's strength.  Corruption is more of his strength....
    Conservatives here were raging that he didn't get enough, now they are raging that he got too much. Even though it has been explicitly stated that we will be giving to less fortunate countries.

Turns out conservatives in Canada share many characteristics as conservatives in the US. One of them being no shame.
    And more on that theme - conservatives last week were irate that Canada wouldn't receive vaccine until the first quarter of 2021, complaining that government incompetency meant we were destined to be one of the "have not" countries. Now that the process of review and approval  has gone smoother than expected and vaccine is expected to arrive next week, the conservatives are screaming that the federal government "lied" to the public about the timeline so "how can the public trust them on anything?". Getting your digs in supersedes being pleased about a positive outcome for the country. 
    advice: don't follow Theo Fleury on twitter. he's the Aubrey Huff of Canadian social media athlete politics. 

If it makes you happy. 
    You did too 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dignin said:

Word.

Funny you should say that. I live in an apartment.  It has been a real worry of mine. I definitely keep the fresh air circulating from outside, and purify the air with tea tree oil on a regular basis. So far so good.

Late last night we had an EMS visit to my building I didn't see anyone carried out on a stretcher, and I have no idea what happened. This has been the 3rd EMS visit to my block since March. Could be coincidence. I don't know.
    Do apartments share the same ventilation systems?  Maybe an upgrade tp HEPA filters like our office did would do a great deal of good?  I am surprised that hasn't been mandated yet?
  • Options
    dignin said:

I don't. it was meant in jest. 
    Advice; get better jokes 
    in jest as in not serious, not necessarily trying to make people laugh. 

not sure what your problem is today, but hope your day gets better. 
    :lol: 
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dignin said:

Word.

Do apartments share the same ventilation systems?  Maybe an upgrade tp HEPA filters like our office did would do a great deal of good?  I am surprised that hasn't been mandated yet?
    My building shares ventilation, but it is newer construction within last five years. I'm pretty sure they use HEPA filters. I will ask.

I can smell the pot smokers next door sometimes, so I know we're swapping air. One room in particular traps the smell. That's the window I keep open most often.
  • Options
    dignin said:

If it makes you happy. 
    You did too 
    Mine was clearly sarcastic, with you, no one knows?

This was also sarcastic and looking for a song lyric to follow...

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,205
    I don't think my building shares ventilation. I am in a somewhat older building. No central air or heat. Our heat comes from those old school radiators with the hot steam running through it, and our AC comes from window units that we supply ourselves - so I don't think any air is being swapped between apartments. There are no thermostats.
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    I don't think my building shares ventilation. I am in a somewhat older building. No central air or heat. Our heat comes from those old school radiators with the hot steam running through it, and our AC comes from window units that we supply ourselves - so I don't think any air is being swapped between apartments. There are no thermostats.
    TY strictly curiosity on my part.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,954
    PJNB said:
    My city is going from Orange to Yellow tonight meaning we can be with family and friends that are not in our household. Hopefully can stay that way until at least Christmas. 
    Yay! Were gonna be our household only til January 8.

Fortunately, people who live alone can have 1 or 2 close contact so legally I can chalet it at the skihill with my waterski boys.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,046
    tish said:
    PJNB said:

Fortunately, people who live alone can have 1 or 2 close contact so legally I can chalet it at the skihill with my waterski boys.
    Thats great you can have some kind of social connection still. How are people in BC taking this lockdown till after Christmas? My best friend is living in Vancouver right now and its been a couple of months said I talked to him last. Should give him a call tonight to see how he is doing. Hope the vaccine that is coming to BC in the next week starts showing some change in the deaths and hospitalizations for you guys! 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    dankind said:
    dignin said:

Word.

We found out the hard way that the ventilation system at my school just recycles air. Did a lab in the fume hood and it just pumped the gas into the class next door. Don't think that's how those are supposed to work.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:
    dignin said:

Word.

We found out the hard way that the ventilation system at my school just recycles air. Did a lab in the fume hood and it just pumped the gas into the class next door. Don't think that's how those are supposed to work.
    Do you mean range hood?  They are usually vented outside or they have charcoal filters?  The one you are using likely using a filter...the filters need to be changed every once in a while.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:
    dignin said:

Word.

Do you mean range hood?  They are usually vented outside or they have charcoal filters?  The one you are using likely using a filter...the filters need to be changed every once in a while.  
    No, fume hood. For a chemistry lab. Same thing though, supposed to connect to outside to vent gases formed during an experiment. But instead just pumped it into the class next door that shared the same vent system.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:
    dignin said:

Word.

No, fume hood. For a chemistry lab. Same thing though, supposed to connect to outside to vent gases formed during an experiment. But instead just pumped it into the class next door that shared the same vent system.
    Does your school have health safety committee.  Because gas should be ventilated outside.  The Fire department might be able to help.  But something needs to be done...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:
    dignin said:

Word.

Does your school have health safety committee.  Because gas should be ventilated outside.  The Fire department might be able to help.  But something needs to be done...
    Hahaha . . . yes, something needs to be done. I hope Biden loads up his Covid relief package with massive amounts of money to rebuild our schools' infrastructure. I bet he won't, though. That ventilation problem will remain until there's an accident.

I once brought a dangerous lighting rig situation to the attention of my principal when I started working at a new school. I learned I was not the only one who had, and I had a professional look at it who said it needed to come down. The principal ignored me, multiple times. Then the school rented the stage out to the local Nutcracker and the rig crashed onto the stage when they were setting up. That’s when they fixed it. I told the principal it's a good thing none of my students were working when it came down. Apalling.

Anyway, them's the buildings some of us don't want to be in. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    tish said:
    PJNB said:

Thats great you can have some kind of social connection still. How are people in BC taking this lockdown till after Christmas? My best friend is living in Vancouver right now and its been a couple of months said I talked to him last. Should give him a call tonight to see how he is doing. Hope the vaccine that is coming to BC in the next week starts showing some change in the deaths and hospitalizations for you guys! 
    I'm not sure how most are taking it, but thanks for asking, New brunsieboy. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:
    dignin said:

Word.

Yes. This was clearly a mistake and was quickly fixed once noticed....or at least we were told it was.
    It was a science room built as a chemistry lab, but in reality wasn’t used as one. There had been no experiments that used the hood for at least several years. It was open house night and myself with several other teachers were doing demos in that room when someone noticed the fumes were just going to the room next door at not outside.  
    If they hadn’t fixed it, no one has probably done labs like that in that particular room anyway. But we were told it was fixed.

They routinely check that the hoods and other equipment are properly working, even if they aren’t used. The problem is when they get checked, they turn the fan on and see that the fumes go up. There’s no one on roof sticking their head by the vent to see if the gases are coming out. Until this happened i never would have even thought to check for that.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,946
    California and other state's COVID colors are based on Jim Hendrix's song "Bold As Love":

Anger, he smiles
    Towering in shiny metallic purple armour
    Queen Jealousy, envy waits behind him
    Her fiery green gown sneers at the grassy ground

Blue are the life-giving waters taken for granted
    They quietly understand
    Once happy turquoise armies lay opposite ready
    But wonder why the fight is on
    But they're all bold as love, yeah, they're all bold as love
    Yeah, they're all bold as love
    Just ask the axis

My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war
    And ribbons of euphoria
    Orange is young, full of daring
    But very unsteady for the first go round
    My yellow in this case is not so mellow
    In fact I'm trying to say it's frightened like me
    And all these emotions of mine keep holding me from, eh
    Giving my life to a rainbow like you
    But, I'm eh, yeah, I'm bold as love
    Yeah, yeah
    Well I'm bold, bold as love (hear me talking, girl)
    I'm bold as love
    Just ask the axis (he knows everything)
    Yeah
    Yeah
    Yeah

Yellow is a low level, but not so mellow as it leads to higher levels of seriousness.  At yellow, we begin to be frightened. 
    Orange is the young virus full of daring, being more bold at it attacks more victims.
    Red:  Red is COVID being confident, preparing for war on our bodies.
    Purple:  This is where we are in El Dorado county.  Purple is bad.  Put on you armor.

Turquoise is a transitional stage.
    Green: is for the grassy ground that we live on and blue for the life-giving waters.  Be grateful  for green and blue, and be bold as love.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dignin said:

If it makes you happy. 
    You did too 
    Mine was clearly sarcastic, with you, no one knows?

This was also sarcastic and looking for a song lyric to follow...

Where does it end?
  • Options

Today the entire program for a vaccine candidate in Australia got dumped because it can cause false positive HIV test results. The focus will shift to other options.

This is why countries pre-ordered more vaccines than it appears they need. 
  • Options
    ^Thanks for the information, I hadn't read that yet.

I had fun making Christmas cookies with the Pipsqeak, baked a turkey and dropped my Mom off a plate! 

Good night everybody!
  • Options
    tish said:

I had fun making Christmas cookies with the Pipsqeak, baked a turkey and dropped my Mom off a plate! 

Good night everybody!
    Wait, you’re having Christmas dinner already? 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:
    dignin said:

Word.

Yes. This was clearly a mistake and was quickly fixed once noticed....or at least we were told it was.
    It was a science room built as a chemistry lab, but in reality wasn’t used as one. There had been no experiments that used the hood for at least several years. It was open house night and myself with several other teachers were doing demos in that room when someone noticed the fumes were just going to the room next door at not outside.  
    If they hadn’t fixed it, no one has probably done labs like that in that particular room anyway. But we were told it was fixed.

They routinely check that the hoods and other equipment are properly working, even if they aren’t used. The problem is when they get checked, they turn the fan on and see that the fumes go up. There’s no one on roof sticking their head by the vent to see if the gases are coming out. Until this happened i never would have even thought to check for that.
    I hope the issue has been addressed.  I live in Ontario, near Windsor across from Detroit. I work for the school board (casual employee, pretty much where everyone starts...I am the facility services department (maintenance)...Schools are expensive to maintain, here in Ontario schools are underfunded...but schools are stretched....just the amount of PPE school boards are going through, add in all the extra disinfectant they are going through, extra custodians to sanitize...the custodial casual list at our board is usually between 30-40, it's been expanded to 80 and more...and everyone gets 40 hours a week $18.00/hour...that alone added huge expense to our board...and with all that extra cleaning the health board ordered us closed effective Monday...us casual employees have been thrown out of work...I believe the schools were safe.  I worked at a Cannabis Greenhouse through most of the pandemic and our concerns, he just ignored, the politicians ignored....money talks and those greenhouses have money...

Should the schools be closed, I have no idea...I can say this, the kids seem very happy...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    tish said:

Good night everybody!
    Wait, you’re having Christmas dinner already? 
    I've made 2 already and plan 1 or 2 more. It's hard to get the little one to eat protein so I hide it in delicious stuffing.
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,589
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:
    dignin said:

Word.

The district where my wife teaches built a new high school about 8 years ago. They did put a gas venting system in the chem lab, but they vented it through the roof a few feet away from a roof air handler unit fresh air input duct. The gasses were expelled from the class, and immediately sucked into the air handling unit to be sent back into the building. It didn't take very long for them to reroute the gas vent system. 
This discussion has been closed.