The coronavirus

Comments

• Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Posts: 1,901
    rgambs said:
    We have community spread now in Ohio.
    200 test kits available.  
    This is what happens when anti-science conservatives control government because...her emails.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Well this has gotten wayyyyyyyyyyyyy bigger than I thought it would.

Anyone know where you can pull real numbers from?  That Hopkins site was sketchy for me.

There are no accurate figures for cases in the U.S. yet because we've only tested a fraction of the population that should have been tested.  Now that test kits are becoming readily available, we'll know within the next couple of days.  Buckle up once the real numbers are revealed...
    I read yesterday, I forget where, that you will only be tested if you have the various symptoms AND have been in contact with a person who tested positive OR traveled out of the country.
    That covers 0% of those infected through community spread.

Well, there aren't enough test kits anyway, so it's almost irrelevant that the testing guidelines are incorrect for the circumstances. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,061
    Norway puts everyone who has traveled outside of the Nordic countries in quarantine. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,635
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    thoughts on China being held a little more responsible for this?

thoughts on the travel ban that was implemented in January? 

I’m not instigating. Unlike some , I like to hear conversations from both sides. 
    Hard to hold China accountable when they hold all the cards. The U.S. is very dependent on China, especially for medicine. 

And China has made a threat against the U.S. in their state-run news....

Damn that is messed up. Thank you for your response. 
    its more sinister than that. common everyday lifesaving drugs are made there.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,286
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I’m not instigating. Unlike some , I like to hear conversations from both sides. 
    Hard to hold China accountable when they hold all the cards. The U.S. is very dependent on China, especially for medicine. 

its more sinister than that. common everyday lifesaving drugs are made there.....
    I’ve learned. It’s a terrible situation. And to think something like this happened in 2003 and nothing was permanently changed. So how long after things go back to normal does China re open those markets? Seems insane to go around in the circle over and over again 
    edited March 2020
    very very good conversation on Rogan about this....

#1439 - Michael Osterholm. Episode: http://traffic.libsyn.com/joeroganexp/p1439.mp3. Media: http://traffic.libsyn.com/joeroganexp/p1439.mp3?dest-id=19997. Sent from Podcast Republic.

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,005
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I’ve learned. It’s a terrible situation. And to think something like this happened in 2003 and nothing was permanently changed. So how long after things go back to normal does China re open those markets? Seems insane to go around in the circle over and over again 
    Anybody still interested in a thread on this?
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,388
    Lucky Princess passengers get a cancel and refund. Disney is still set to sail and won't give a penny back.
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

only if it spurs all participants and everyone irl they talk to to contact all reps in gov from local on up to fed to make some changes regarding this......

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    tish said:
    Lucky Princess passengers get a cancel and refund. Disney is still set to sail and won't give a penny back.
    That's terrible. I hope it comes back to bite them somehow. 
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

only if it spurs all participants and everyone irl they talk to to contact all reps in gov from local on up to fed to make some changes regarding this......
    We should all sign a petition to do that.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,286
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I would. It’s enraging me. 
    tish said:
    I've always said that Disney was Satan himself.  Here is more proof of that!
  • Just had my family holiday to Goa cancelled because I travelled to Germany after February 15th.
    Brixton Academy 14/7/93, Wembley Arena 29/5/00, Wembley Arena 18/6/07, London O2 18/8/09, Hyde Park 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12, Arras 30/6/12, Werchter 5/7/14, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Mexico City 28/11/15, Toronto 10/5/16, Toronto 12/5/16,  Amsterdam 12/6/18, Amsterdam 13/6/18, London O2 18/6/18, Werchter 7/7/18, London O2 17/7/18, Werchter 30/6/22, Hyde Park 8/7/22, Hyde Park 9/7/22, Budapest 12/7/22, Prague 22/7/22, Amsterdam 24/7/22, Amsterdam 25/7/22, Dublin 22/6/24, Manchester 25/6/24, London 29/6/2024, Berlin 2/7/24, Berlin 3/7/24 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,416
    some advice below i received via email.  

Subject:  Stanford Univ Coronavirus Advice

Found this clear and understandable. Most useful thing I have read about the Coronavirus... 

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can you know if you are infected?  By the time you have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% fibrosis.  

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning:  Take a deep breath and hold it for more than 10 seconds. If you do this successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, there is no fibrosis in the lungs; it basically indicates no infection. In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why?  Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and then the lungs. That's very dangerous.

Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS:
    1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold.
    2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
    3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees C.  (About 77 degrees F.)  It hates the Sun.
    4. If someone sneezes with it, it goes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
    5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface, wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
    6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
    7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
    8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
    9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
    10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water!

THE SYMPTOMS:
    1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
    2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs,
    causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
    3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
    4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,384
    @pjhawks is that from a legit source?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    right , like WHO confirmed?  not sure CDC can be trusted yet.

mace1229 said:
    tish said:
    That's terrible. I hope it comes back to bite them somehow. 
    Aka: Drown in the river.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,416
    mcgruff10 said:
    not sure to be honest. got email from sister who got it from others.  a few of those things mentioned in the email though I also heard a doctor (Dr Mike from Fox) on the Preston and Steve show this morning say as well.   Staying hydrated, drinking water with salt and of course the washing hands
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    I can't drink water without ice. That's disgusting! Cure is worse than the disease. 
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019 

WHO website on corona virus lots of great info that is probably the most reliable available
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    edited March 2020
    SIRIUSXM Ch 121 is dedicated to coronavirus.All inactive radios will have access to this channel. Drs and other professionals in the field are available to take calls etc...

1.877.40COVID

BC is not reporting-acting as fast as our friends south of the border. I got yesterdays news about 2 lower mainland community spread cases this morning. 

We are spending money here, business as usual. Most school closures etc... will come after exposure. Only 3 schools shut doors to kids so far.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    This picture was from this past weekend.  The gentleman from Brazil has tested positive.  Trump has had so many contacts with the hoax in the past two weeks, he's bound to get it.  

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    tish said:
    BC is not reporting-acting as fast as our friends south of the border. I got yesterdays news about 2 lower mainland community spread cases this morning. 

We are spending money here, business as usual. Most school closures etc... will come after exposure. Only 3 schools shut doors to kids so far.

What do you mean? The provincial health officer and her office are reporting a ton. I’m seeing media updates a few times a day regarding testing and cases. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    mrussel1 said:
    This picture was from this past weekend.  The gentleman from Brazil has tested positive.  Trump has had so many contacts with the hoax in the past two weeks, he's bound to get it.  

Here’s him shaking hands with Doug Collins last week. Collins is currently in self-quarantine...

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,197
    mace1229 said:
    I can't drink water without ice. That's disgusting! Cure is worse than the disease. 
    Switch to red wine, preferably a Cabernet.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    tish said:

What do you mean? The provincial health officer and her office are reporting a ton. I’m seeing media updates a few times a day regarding testing and cases. 
    Thx. I'll keep my eye out.
  • KatKat Posts: 4,831
    edited March 2020
    continued in additional tweets:
    Afraid to get sick as they are in their 80’s and hear that the novel coronavirus is affecting older people disproportionately. And that they don’t have family around to help them out. Through the crack in the window she handed me a $100 bill and a grocery list, and asked if I
    would be willing to buy her groceries.
    I bought the groceries and placed them in her trunk, and gave her back the change. She told me she had been sitting in the car for nearly 45 min before I had arrived, waiting to ask the right person for help.
    I know it’s a time of hysteria and nerves, but offer to help anyone you can. Not everyone has people to turn to.
    Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,483
    first case in Winnipeg. woman who traveled home from Philippines. she self quarantined apparently right after leaving the plane, and has been in isolation since. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.