The coronavirus

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,384
    Thanks all for answering.

Kind of hard to believe we don't have anyone freaking out and that is good.

I have a very sick Aunt in the hospital whom I go see but am afraid to get close because I travel frequently into the city.  I've been using the purell stations and using the 6' rule. 

Good luck with your aunt. I might have a family member who could be at higher risk but it’s tough to know for sure.

with a lot of things shutting down today- NCAAs, St Patty’s Parade, SUNY & CUNY schools, maybe it’s time to shut all the schools down and all the sports leagues. Why are the kids going to school if major things are shutting down? Seems risky now for any school superintendent to keep the districts open in light of this.

It seems like things are about to get very weird.
    You have to remember that schools being open is where kids get their only 2 meals a day.  The city feeds a lot of children whom would otherwise starve.

It is a very tough predicament to be in.
    In the event our district closes there will be a “meals on wheels” service to bring breakfast and lunch to those kids.  I understand nyc is completely different.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,005
    mcgruff10 said:

I have a very sick Aunt in the hospital whom I go see but am afraid to get close because I travel frequently into the city.  I've been using the purell stations and using the 6' rule. 

Good luck with your aunt. I might have a family member who could be at higher risk but it’s tough to know for sure.

with a lot of things shutting down today- NCAAs, St Patty’s Parade, SUNY & CUNY schools, maybe it’s time to shut all the schools down and all the sports leagues. Why are the kids going to school if major things are shutting down? Seems risky now for any school superintendent to keep the districts open in light of this.

You have to remember that schools being open is where kids get their only 2 meals a day.  The city feeds a lot of children whom would otherwise starve.

In the event our district closes there will be a “meals on wheels” service to bring breakfast and lunch to those kids.  I understand nyc is completely different.  
    I have zero doubt that the city will not have the resources to accomplish that.  It will get out of control.

I am glad that your area has a contingency plan.

Well this has gotten wayyyyyyyyyyyyy bigger than I thought it would.

Anyone know where you can pull real numbers from?  That Hopkins site was sketchy for me.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,384
    mcgruff10 said:

I have zero doubt that the city will not have the resources to accomplish that.  It will get out of control.

I am glad that your area has a contingency plan.

Yeah we had meetings yesterday to discuss various plans.  My particular class will be pretty easy to teach remotely.  My textbook can be accessed on their desktop and pretty much my entire class is online.  They were talking about having a "wireless bus" driving around the poorer neighborhoods that don't have access to the internet.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135

Anyone know where you can pull real numbers from?  That Hopkins site was sketchy for me.

Yeah get on the Whitehouse web site I’m sure their info is totally legit and up to date , remember sneeze into a tissue!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427

Eye on the TV
    'Cause tragedy thrills me
    Whatever flavor it happens to be like
    Killed by the husband
    Drowned by the ocean
    Shot by his own son
    She used a poison
    In his tea
    And kissed him goodbye
    That's my kind of story
    It's no fun until someone dies
    Don't look at me like
    I am a monster
    Frown out your one face
    But with the other
    Stare like a junkie
    Into the TV
    Stare like a zombie
    While the mother
    Holds her child
    Watches him die
    Hands to the sky crying
    "Why, oh why?"
    'Cause I need to watch things die
    From a distance
    Vicariously I live
    While the whole world dies
    You all need it too, don't lie
    Why can't we just admit it?
    We won't give pause until the blood is flowing
    Neither the brave nor bold
    Were writers of the stories told
    I need to watch things die
    From a good safe distance
    Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
    You all feel the same, so
    Blood like rain come down
    Drum on grave and ground
    Part vampire
    Part warrior
    Carnivore and voyeur
    Stare at the transmittal
    Sing to the death rattle
    La, la, la, la, la, la-la-lie
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men
    Pull your head out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again
    The universe is hostile, so impersonal
    Devour to survive, so it is
    So it's always been
    We all feed on tragedy
    It's like blood to a vampire
    Vicariously I
    Live while the whole world dies
    Much better you than I

Yeah get on the Whitehouse web site I’m sure their info is totally legit and up to date , remember sneeze into a tissue!
    Last place I want to check is the WH web pages Jose.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    mcgruff10 said:

I know this is the case about families relying on schools to feed the kids. But I worked in a school where 98% were on free lunch and those kids survived summer break, Christmas break and spring break. Taking 2 weeks off for this  virus will be no different.
    I know it sounds cold hearted, but it’s true.
    The bigger burden will be families, particularly single moms, who rely on school as a form of child care for the younger grades.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,515
    dignin said:
    tish said:
    I suppose Canada is 1 step behind and will follow suit. Seems like my country has been doing the security walk following in USs footsteps. 
    I just got the "I come from downtown" reference now that I know you're from Canada.

Let's all handle this with will and determination

Even someone from Lawn Guyland.

.cincybearcat said:
    You know this is kinda why I hate people. Everyone saying trump should say what the medical people want him to, then he does and people make fun of the advice. 

Before you bring out the hate, please interpret his key and very important sentence- 

"These prohibitions will not only apply to the tremendous amount of trade and cargo, but various other things as we get approval. Anything coming from Europe to the United States is what we are discussing. These restrictions will also not apply to the United Kingdom."
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945

There are no accurate figures for cases in the U.S. yet because we've only tested a fraction of the population that should have been tested.  Now that test kits are becoming readily available, we'll know within the next couple of days.  Buckle up once the real numbers are revealed...
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    We have community spread now in Ohio.
    200 test kits available.  
    This is what happens when anti-science conservatives control government because...her emails.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/607807/
    doctors have to make the call who gets treated and who doesn’t, think about that 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,316
    You know this is kinda why I hate people. Everyone saying trump should say what the medical people want him to, then he does and people make fun of the advice. 

What did you consider “some meat?”
    It's a good question and just seeing it.  Been spending a lot of time talking Covid-19 from a family (some high risk people in my immediate family) and for work actually so hadn't gotten back.

Just to be clear, it wasn;t a great speech by any means.  I did listen to MSNBC and CNN on the radio on my commute. Out of the 30 minutes of my listening 23 were about trump and how bad he's been and the problem with the speech.  4 minutes were seemingly just trying to create a sense of urgency (at best...or panic at worst).  And 3 minutes were on what people can do and some real information.  This concerns me.  Sure trump's speech wasn;t great, but it doesn't have to make the news content not great too, but they are letting it.

The meat - and as they've clarified it seems not as meaty ;) - was the discussion of people staying home is sick.  Was about not having to pay for ... well at first it was treatment then it was only the test.  About the impacts to people directly in regards to their work and pay.  And about how to support businesses to enable this.   It was a short speech so I didn;t expect amazing, beautiful details.

That said, since I'm used to trump now I kinda tune out some of the things he says or how he says them...and there were parts that I ignored that were pretty bad.

I also think this step is too late.  It will help some...but the virus is already here and it did not provide country-wide policies (crowd size, schools, etc).  So it will help, but it is not enough and we are 1-2 weeks away from another televised speech that will get into those things (too late).
    hippiemom = goodness

Eye on the TV
    'Cause tragedy thrills me
    Whatever flavor it happens to be like
    Killed by the husband
    Drowned by the ocean
    Shot by his own son
    She used a poison
    In his tea
    And kissed him goodbye
    That's my kind of story
    It's no fun until someone dies
    Don't look at me like
    I am a monster
    Frown out your one face
    But with the other
    Stare like a junkie
    Into the TV
    Stare like a zombie
    While the mother
    Holds her child
    Watches him die
    Hands to the sky crying
    "Why, oh why?"
    'Cause I need to watch things die
    From a distance
    Vicariously I live
    While the whole world dies
    You all need it too, don't lie
    Neither the brave nor bold
    Were writers of the stories told
    I need to watch things die
    From a good safe distance
    Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
    You all feel the same, so
    Blood like rain come down
    Drum on grave and ground
    Part vampire
    Part warrior
    Carnivore and voyeur
    Stare at the transmittal
    Sing to the death rattle
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men
    Pull your head out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again
    The universe is hostile, so impersonal
    Devour to survive, so it is
    So it's always been
    We all feed on tragedy
    It's like blood to a vampire
    Vicariously I
    Live while the whole world dies
    Much better you than I

Waiting for 2 Tool shows at end of april to be postponed. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,408
    This may have a devastating effect on small businesses....specifically restaurants.  It's amazing how things can be humming along nicely and then the bottom just drops out.

Locally I'm thinking about all of the blue collar jobs revolving around sports that are now cancelled.  The Big 10 tourney in Indy will not allow fans. Local hockey team is likely to suspend fans from games.  Think about all of the security and concession personnel that will not be working for a FEW MONTHS.  This is going to get deep I'm afraid.  The unemployment rate is going to jump significantly.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/607807/
    doctors have to make the call who gets treated and who doesn’t, think about that 

Heart-breaking. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,316
    So far the coronavirus has cost me 3 Pearl Jam concerts With friends and family and a ncaa tournament trip with my dad. Not to mention a spring break girls trip for my wife and daughter. And a few other big deals for my family I don’t care to mention specifically.

im concerned about the health of a few specific people close to me. And sad for those who have been effected in the most awful way.  This is just all bad. And no joke, the world needs to figure out how to hold China accountable for their continued nonsense 
    What exactly is it China is to be accountable for here and what is their "continued nonsense" in relations to this? 

With some of you focusing so hard on them in here, instead of how your own government is handling it, I would like to know.
    The pandemic and putting people at risk due to poor conditions and coverups.  China is a very bad actor in every sense.

Exactly how trump is acting too...so US keeps this up, if our behaviors contribute to the pandemic lingering or being worse...then trump and the admin need to be held accountable too.
    hippiemom = goodness
    There’s probably no more than 1million hospital beds total in this nation as we speak and probably no more than 100k ventilators total , we are not prepared!
    There’s probably no more than 1million hospital beds total in this nation as we speak and probably no more than 100k ventilators total , we are not prepared!

And when those emergency services are full, how will the normal illnesses, heart attacks etc get treated?

And when those emergency services are full, how will the normal illnesses, heart attacks etc get treated?
    They will only in emergencies, I’ve heard to doctors already stated that elective surgeries will be pushed to the side , so they can treat the infected people..

The world was not prepared for this.  Tragically, we will be faced with the same situation Italy is faced with; having to choose who gets proper care based on their chances of survival.  Scary, heart-breaking...not enough adjectives.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    rgambs said:
    200 test kits available.  
    This is what happens when anti-science conservatives control government because...her emails.
    I feel like you're forgetting the importance of Benghazi when hating science.  

They will only in emergencies, I’ve heard to doctors already stated that elective surgeries will be pushed to the side , so they can treat the infected people..

Yes, I recall that comment. But there comes a point if projections come true and the virus fills all of the beds and emergency rooms, there is possibly not enough capacity to handle emergencies let alone normal care.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    200 test kits available.  
    I am from Ohio, when it comes to Benghazi, I #NeverForget!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

Yes, I recall that comment. But there comes a point if projections come true and the virus fills all of the beds and emergency rooms, there is possibly not enough capacity to handle emergencies let alone normal care.

bbiggs said:

The world was not prepared for this.  Tragically, we will be faced with the same situation Italy is faced with; having to choose who gets proper care based on their chances of survival.  Scary, heart-breaking...not enough adjectives.
    Agreed 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    200 test kits available.  
    I am from Ohio, when it comes to Benghazi, I #NeverForget!
    haha touche. 
    bbiggs said:

There are no accurate figures for cases in the U.S. yet because we've only tested a fraction of the population that should have been tested.  Now that test kits are becoming readily available, we'll know within the next couple of days.  Buckle up once the real numbers are revealed...
    I read yesterday, I forget where, that you will only be tested if you have the various symptoms AND have been in contact with a person who tested positive OR traveled out of the country.
    That covers 0% of those infected through community spread.

Yes these scenarios can def come true!
This discussion has been closed.