Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    people were predicting the end times with sars. i think this will end with much of the same. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    people were predicting the end times with sars. i think this will end with much of the same. 
    don't forget hand foot mouth, mad cow, mad pig, etc...
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    don't forget hand foot mouth, mad cow, mad pig, etc...
    exactly.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    Looked at totally objectively, the best thing for this planet (including the human species) would be a good, walloping pandemic leading to a huge reduction in population.  On this matter, I find it difficult to be objective.  I don't want to die or lose loved ones.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Looked at totally objectively, the best thing for this planet (including the human species) would be a good, walloping pandemic leading to a huge reduction in population.  On this matter, I find it difficult to be objective.  I don't want to die or lose loved ones.
    I agree. while it would be devastating to our race, it sure would actually give our race some hope of sustainability. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Didn't you make the same comment about 2 weeks ago? And yet here we are, more deaths and it's spread a lot further. This is already a lot worse than SARS.

Nobody should underestimate the threat, and I'm glad to see it's mostly being taken seriously. Pandemics do happen.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    dignin said:
    Didn't you make the same comment about 2 weeks ago? And yet here we are, more deaths and it's spread a lot further. This is already a lot worse than SARS.

Nobody should underestimate the threat, and I'm glad to see it's mostly being taken seriously. Pandemics do happen.
    thanks for cataloging my posts. it's very helpful. yes, pandemics do happen. again, thank you. and yes, after I said that I fully expected the virus to stop dead in its tracks and affect a total of zero other humans. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    scontent-dfw5-2xxfbcdnnet
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    scontent-dfw5-2xxfbcdnnet
    LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:

thanks for cataloging my posts. it's very helpful. yes, pandemics do happen. again, thank you. 
    Nice response.

I'm curious, are you a virologist or have any professional qualifications to back your claim that this will end like SARS?

• Options
    edited February 2020
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

thanks for cataloging my posts. it's very helpful. yes, pandemics do happen. again, thank you. 
    Nice response.

I'm curious, are you a virologist or have any professional qualifications to back your claim that this will end like SARS?

i'm a professor. I thought everyone here was. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

Nice response.

Professor of what? 

Or should I take that as an admisson you have no idea what your talking about when it comes to pandemics. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm happy to learn more about it professor. Ease my concerns.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

Nice response.

Professor of what? 

Or should I take that as an admisson you have no idea what your talking about when it comes to pandemics. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm happy to learn more about it professor. Ease my concerns.
    So - I'm more concerned than Hugh is about this.  But what are you basing your concern on?  Mine is still just on what I read and an assumption of what could happen.  What are your concerns based on?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

Nice response.

Professor of what? 

So - I'm more concerned than Hugh is about this.  But what are you basing your concern on?  Mine is still just on what I read and an assumption of what could happen.  What are your concerns based on?
    The same.

I'm concerned for the welfare of people directly effected by this.

I've been listening to the professionals whose job it is to prevent these things from getting worse. Because frankly, if it wasn't for people like them this and SARS would have been much worse.

I don't think their professional opinions should be so easily dismissed.
  • Options
    no one is dismissing anything. I believe this is serious and if not handled properly then it could get exponentially worse. But I also have confidence in our global scientific community, AND, I try not to mirror the media's sensationalistic hysteria over things anymore. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

Nice response.

Professor of what? 

The same.

I've been listening to the professionals whose job it is to prevent these things from getting worse. Because frankly, if it wasn't for people like them this and SARS would have been much worse.

I'm not sure I'd say it's worse than SARs though.  WHile it has spread faster, isn't the fatality rate much lower?  And isn't the mortality rate away from the epicenter (in china) a lot better too?

I have some very specific personal reasons to remain aware and likely it's making me more nervous as well.  I'm really hoping for some good news in regards to this virus and containment in the near future.  Italy changed the game in a bad way...lets see what happens from there to see if it's controlled or gets further out of control.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

Nice response.

Professor of what? 

The same.

I'm not sure I'd say it's worse than SARs though.  WHile it has spread faster, isn't the fatality rate much lower?  And isn't the mortality rate away from the epicenter (in china) a lot better too?

I have some very specific personal reasons to remain aware and likely it's making me more nervous as well.  I'm really hoping for some good news in regards to this virus and containment in the near future.  Italy changed the game in a bad way...lets see what happens from there to see if it's controlled or gets further out of control.
    as do I. maybe I'm coming off as non-nonchalant about it, but I can assure you, I am not. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

Nice response.

Professor of what? 

The same.

as do I. maybe I'm coming off as non-nonchalant about it, but I can assure you, I am not. 
    I don;t think you are.  I think your opinion is fine and I hope your faith is placed correctly and things get better.  I was more with that line of thinking before the Italy pop-up.  I think the next month will be very telling.  But again, I'm no professional or professor ;)

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Sweden raises the risk level.

Makes me scared.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,542
    edited February 2020
    I was scared enough to buy precautionary measures for the YVR - SAN flight...
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options

It was difficult to find masks in my city.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,506
    In Italy people start to lose control..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    tish said:

were they made in China?

better think twice before opening that plastic wrap
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    CM189191 said:
    tish said:

were they made in China?

better think twice before opening that plastic wrap

Like almost all 3M products, probably made in the U.S.  3M makes good products.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    CM189191 - you mean mother! they are made in your city - haha. Thanks for the adrenaline shot!
    Mr. Lux - thanks for putting out the fear fire.

Basically, I thought we'd make our way from domestic-international and on the flight as if we are in contact with a person with the virus. It was easy to find out what respirator protection we'd need. I followed Can/US/International guidelines on PPE protocols (Personal Protective Equipment). It was not easy to find out what eyegoogles are considered safe, so I made a guess and bought indirect ventilation. Maybe there are ones that are not ventilated at all that are better? (Anyone know?) I stopped short of buying the white jumpsuit haha.

• Options
    tish said:
    CM189191 - you mean mother! they are made in your city - haha. Thanks for the adrenaline shot!

Basically, I thought we'd make our way from domestic-international and on the flight as if we are in contact with a person with the virus. It was easy to find out what respirator protection we'd need. I followed Can/US/International guidelines on PPE protocols (Personal Protective Equipment). It was not easy to find out what eyegoogles are considered safe, so I made a guess and bought indirect ventilation. Maybe there are ones that are not ventilated at all that are better? (Anyone know?) I stopped short of buying the white jumpsuit haha.

Yes, 3M is based here in mpls

but they have manufacturing all over
  • Options
    N95 is required in masks, which even the 3M lawn/garden has. Those were still around in hardware stores. Pharmacies and online masks dry. 
  • Options
    tish said:

Those respirators are perfect.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    i am a surgical sales rep. i work in operating rooms most days. though i do not have a trauma portfolio and most of my cases are elective, i'm still terrified.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
This discussion has been closed.