Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,220
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    Team Trump Treason and his administration are responsible for most, if not all, of the misinformation out there as well as states and municipalities not doing what is necessary to understand, track, and deal with the spread.

WHO has been wrong multiple times and they have absolutely nothing to do with Team Trump Treason as you put it. How about China telling the world that there is nothing to worry about? Had China been up front about this from the get go, the world could be in a better situation right now. I'm sure there are countless examples around the world. China is interfering with our election yet the only concerns I see are about Russia. Did Russia cause a world wide pandemic?

In regards to Trump downplaying COVID-19, he said he was downplaying this because he didn't want to cause panic. Many leaders are guilty of this from both sides of the aisle. Governors could have shut down states in January or February but they didn't. I'm in Washington state. We had the first confirmed cases in the United States. Our Democratic Governor took this as serious as the president did. He could've shut down the state but he waited until mid-March when we were in a full blown pandemic. Our numbers are higher than ever. Why isn't he doing more to stop COVID? I could ask these questions all day long.

The reason why I chimed in was because of the Bob Woodward article. These interviews were from January and February. If Trump's COVID response was so bad 8 months ago, why did Bob wait until now to talk about it? If Bob Woodward's intentions were pure, he would've released this information the day he had it. Instead he has to write a book to make money. Don't you think the timing is questionable? A true journalist wouldn't be concerned about writing a book and releasing this information 8 months too late!
    so instead of discussing the substance, you attack the author's intentions. 
    I did address it but you decided to look the other way, "In regards to Trump downplaying COVID-19, he said he was downplaying this because he didn't want to cause panic." Trump is an idiot but had Bob Woodward come out months ago, would that have saved lives? Would there have been more push back against Trump to do more? Yes, I do question his intentions just as you question Trump's.

How many other countries that were successful in their initial response are now having an uptick in cases? Are you blaming them the same as you blame Trump? This virus is not something a world leader can just stop.
    no, it wouldn't have because woodward isn't the president with 30 million twitter followers and fox news won't give 2 seconds to this book for the rest that don't have the internets. 

every country that was successful is having an expected uptick in cases because that's what happens when you reopen the economy. you can't keep the economy closed forever. the difference is, trump didn't do one goddamn thing except downplay it. it's all about mitigating disaster on a medical front. 

had trump actually closed the border to china as he keeps lying about doing, yes, the deaths would be cut in at least half, if not more. 
    You are more like Trump than you want to admit. You call groups of people idiots because you don't agree with them. You complain about divisiveness yet you are nothing but divisive spewing out false information. Trump didn't do 1 thing except downplay? He may not have done as much as you wanted him to but he did do more than downplay. You must be a psychic if you knew that the deaths would be cut in half if Trump banned closed the border to China. By the time China and WHO admitted there was an issue, COVID was world wide. Half is not an accurate number.

They are called idiots not because someone doesn’t agree with their opinions but because...

THEY REFUSE TO LISTEN TO SCIENCE AND ARE WILLING TO RISK THE LIVES OF OTHERS WITH THEIR IRRESPONSIBLE AND SELFISH ACTIONS

Science is not an opinion.

Science tells us social d and masks save lives. Columbia University said it’s 80% less. Stop trying to dissect an educated guess at what the precise percentage is and listen to the science. Social d and masks saves lives. Closing China did crap because the virus was already here by the time he shut it down and 40,000 got here from China afterwards.

And trump knew social D was the way to save lives on FEBRUARY 7 and lied to the public about it. That’s why he gets the blame.

• Options
    JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    jeffbr said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    Team Trump Treason and his administration are responsible for most, if not all, of the misinformation out there as well as states and municipalities not doing what is necessary to understand, track, and deal with the spread.

WHO has been wrong multiple times and they have absolutely nothing to do with Team Trump Treason as you put it. How about China telling the world that there is nothing to worry about? Had China been up front about this from the get go, the world could be in a better situation right now. I'm sure there are countless examples around the world. China is interfering with our election yet the only concerns I see are about Russia. Did Russia cause a world wide pandemic?

In regards to Trump downplaying COVID-19, he said he was downplaying this because he didn't want to cause panic. Many leaders are guilty of this from both sides of the aisle. Governors could have shut down states in January or February but they didn't. I'm in Washington state. We had the first confirmed cases in the United States. Our Democratic Governor took this as serious as the president did. He could've shut down the state but he waited until mid-March when we were in a full blown pandemic. Our numbers are higher than ever. Why isn't he doing more to stop COVID? I could ask these questions all day long.

The reason why I chimed in was because of the Bob Woodward article. These interviews were from January and February. If Trump's COVID response was so bad 8 months ago, why did Bob wait until now to talk about it? If Bob Woodward's intentions were pure, he would've released this information the day he had it. Instead he has to write a book to make money. Don't you think the timing is questionable? A true journalist wouldn't be concerned about writing a book and releasing this information 8 months too late!
    I did address it but you decided to look the other way, "In regards to Trump downplaying COVID-19, he said he was downplaying this because he didn't want to cause panic." Trump is an idiot but had Bob Woodward come out months ago, would that have saved lives? Would there have been more push back against Trump to do more? Yes, I do question his intentions just as you question Trump's.

How many other countries that were successful in their initial response are now having an uptick in cases? Are you blaming them the same as you blame Trump? This virus is not something a world leader can just stop.
    no, it wouldn't have because woodward isn't the president with 30 million twitter followers and fox news won't give 2 seconds to this book for the rest that don't have the internets. 

every country that was successful is having an expected uptick in cases because that's what happens when you reopen the economy. you can't keep the economy closed forever. the difference is, trump didn't do one goddamn thing except downplay it. it's all about mitigating disaster on a medical front. 

had trump actually closed the border to china as he keeps lying about doing, yes, the deaths would be cut in at least half, if not more. 
    You are more like Trump than you want to admit. You call groups of people idiots because you don't agree with them. You complain about divisiveness yet you are nothing but divisive spewing out false information. Trump didn't do 1 thing except downplay? He may not have done as much as you wanted him to but he did do more than downplay. You must be a psychic if you knew that the deaths would be cut in half if Trump banned closed the border to China. By the time China and WHO admitted there was an issue, COVID was world wide. Half is not an accurate number.
    He LIED. He didn't just downplay something. HE FUCKING LIED. He lied to you, he lied to me, he lied to every single person in this country. He called it a hoax and said it would go away. Your normalization of this behavior is exactly what has caused this country to be in the shitter right now. Quit being an apologist for abhorrent behavior. It isn't a good look.
    Governor Inslee admitted that he waited to shut down Washington State until COVID was more wide spread because he knew that he had to do this for everyone to buy in to the shut down. You are from Washington State but I don't see having the same complaints against your own governor.
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

They are called idiots not because someone doesn’t agree with their opinions but because...

THEY REFUSE TO LISTEN TO SCIENCE AND ARE WILLING TO RISK THE LIVES OF OTHERS WITH THEIR IRRESPONSIBLE AND SELFISH ACTIONS

Science is not an opinion.

Science tells us social d and masks save lives. Columbia University said it’s 80% less. Stop trying to dissect an educated guess at what the precise percentage is and listen to the science. Social d and masks saves lives. Closing China did crap because the virus was already here by the time he shut it down and 40,000 got here from China afterwards.

And trump knew social D was the way to save lives on FEBRUARY 7 and lied to the public about it. That’s why he gets the blame.

Someone in this thread said they were ok with protesters risking their lives and putting others in danger for their cause. Does that make them an idiot too?  Both types of people are spreading the virus, but one is labeled idiot. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    I unfortunately live in a state with a piece-of-shit governor who kisses presidential ass. He is against a statewide mask mandate and insists schools should be open. Luckily we have a mask mandate in my city and the local public schools are 100% virtual.

His house is on one of my regular running routes. I have been know to stop in front of his house where I know the security cameras are on me and put on a mask. Stand for a few seconds and resume my run.
    On my return I stop and repeat.

• Options
    JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    I unfortunately live in a state with a piece-of-shit governor who kisses presidential ass. He is against a statewide mask mandate and insists schools should be open. Luckily we have a mask mandate in my city and the local public schools are 100% virtual.

His house is on one of my regular running routes. I have been know to stop in front of his house where I know the security cameras are on me and put on a mask. Stand for a few seconds and resume my run.

How do you feel about New York's governor wanting to reopen schools? Funny how when Trump says we need schools to reopen he gets accused of wanting to kill kids but I haven't heard that same criticism against Governor Cuomo.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,066
    Fauci says it will possibly be "late 2021 before we are back to pre-covid normalcy". 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/11/health/fauci-normal-life-2021/index.html
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,926
    Fauci says it will possibly be "late 2021 before we are back to pre-covid normalcy". 

I can't help but wonder how much "normal" life will be again.  I would surely like that, but I can't help but wonder what will be different.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    brianlux said:

I can't help but wonder how much "normal" life will be again.  I would surely like that, but I can't help but wonder what will be different.
    I fear the free samples at Costco may be gone forever.  What kind of new normal is this?!
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,318
    edited September 2020
    JB16057 said:

How do you feel about New York's governor wanting to reopen schools? Funny how when Trump says we need schools to reopen he gets accused of wanting to kill kids but I haven't heard that same criticism against Governor Cuomo.
    Probably not concerned based on the stipulations put in place and how that decision was made. Planning and communication matter. Quit trying to act like people are picking on Trump. He's an idiot who doesn't learn from anything.

But Mr. Cuomo’s announcement does not guarantee that school buildings in the state’s more than 700 local districts will actually reopen in the coming weeks. It is now up to local politicians and superintendents to decide whether to reopen, and how to do so. Their in-person reopening plans must also be approved by the state’s education and health departments in the coming weeks.

Under the governor’s announcement, schools can decide to open as long as they are in a region where the average rate of positive coronavirus tests is below 5 percent over a two- week period. That threshold was recommended by the World Health Organization to begin general reopening and has recently been adopted by some school districts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/07/nyregion/cuomo-schools-reopening.html

Compared to:

“All schools should be making plans to resume in-person classes as soon as possible,” Trump said.

The president has tried to force re-openings by saying that half the money for schools in the next round of stimulus legislation should be reserved for those that open their doors.

Trump has asserted that children are “virtually immune” to the coronavirus. The president appears to be referring to the notion that children are less likely to become ill from the virus, even though they can spread it to adults.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-12/trump-turns-up-pressure-to-open-schools-with-white-house-event

It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,220
    JB16057 said:

I am a democrat in NY who is furious with Cuomo about schools reopening. I do agree it’s worth a try, but he is doing it without requiring random covid testing. But cuomo will monitor the situation and shut down the schools when there is an outbreak. Even though I think his plan has danger to it, at least cuomo is willing to trust science and monitor the risk.

The difference between me and you is I will publicly criticize cuomo. The problem with trump supporters is they feed into his constant lying. If trump wins because he lies about Biden being a socialist or Biden being on drugs, it further invalidates the legitimacy of his 
    Presidency and his followers. You can’t destroy what America stands for and legitimately call yourself an American patriot. You are not.

if y’all are so good for the earth why don’t y’all come live in the section of it governed by facts, truth and science?
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

I fear the free samples at Costco may be gone forever.  What kind of new normal is this?!

I was at Costco today and the samples were every where with long lines.

Of course, Taiwan is sane and took the virus seriously from the beginning so life never really changed.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,926
    Smellyman said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

I was at Costco today and the samples were every where with long lines.

Of course, Taiwan is sane and took the virus seriously from the beginning so life never really changed.

I am envious.  Living is a sane country sounds like heaven!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,036
    Nice milestone in Canada yesterday. For the first time since mid March we had zero covid deaths. 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,923
    ^^ Pipsqueak came home from the first exciting day of grade 4 and mentioned her teacher gave out sour rings. I cringed and, on the down low, grilled the poor kid on the process, which the teacher passed. 

Anyone catch the play last week with Ed on the air talking about covid death dreams? Maybe I had a scary one during start but nothing I recall in detail.

I really feel for all of you with extreme weather and fires compounding the troubling times of the pandemic. 

And, Nicky, glad you're hanging in there.

Be well.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Nice milestone in Canada yesterday. For the first time since mid March we had zero covid deaths. 
    👏 that’s great news
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,923
    PJNB said:
    That is definitely something to celebrate. Happy to hear. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,923
    tish said:
    ^^ Pipsqueak came home from the first exciting day of grade 4 and mentioned her teacher gave out sour rings. I cringed and, on the down low, grilled the poor kid on the process, which the teacher passed. 

Anyone catch the play last week with Ed on the air talking about covid death dreams? Maybe I had a scary one during start but nothing I recall in detail.

I really feel for all of you with extreme weather and fires compounding the troubling times of the pandemic. 

And, Nicky, glad you're hanging in there.

Be well.
    Hey thanks Tish! 🤙🏼
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,323
     More than 200 meat plant workers in the U.S. have died of covid-19. Federal regulators just issued two modest fines.
    By Kimberly Kindy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/osha-covid-meat-plant-fines/2020/09/13/1dca3e14-f395-11ea-bc45-e5d48ab44b9f_story.html

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    If you watched the end of the Cincinnati Bengals game, you know things are getting back to normal.  

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,798
    If you watched the end of the Cincinnati Bengals game, you know things are getting back to normal.  

The Browns stepped into 2020 like it was '19 all over again. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

and 18 and 17 and 16 and 15 and 14 and 13 and.......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,798
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

and 18 and 17 and 16 and 15 and 14 and 13 and.......
    Oh I long for 1986
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    So word on the street is that Trump held a super spreader event last night.

He is now undeniably actively trying to kill people.

Waiting for the Trump defenders to come here with the usual defense that no matter who was or is the president, the results would be the same.

America is a dumpster fire right now.
  • Options
    dignin said:

Waiting for the Trump defenders to come here with the usual defense that no matter who was or is the president, the results would be the same.

and it's in violation of nevada's indoor gatherings law. but trump won't pay the price, the owner of the building will (and has before-they also own some hotel in vegas that held some evangelical gathering that was also fined). 

had this been a democrat, the political fallout would be ENORMOUS. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,268
    dignin said:

and it's in violation of nevada's indoor gatherings law. but trump won't pay the price, the owner of the building will (and has before-they also own some hotel in vegas that held some evangelical gathering that was also fined). 

i think the fallout against dems would be more because we expect more from democrats. like we expect them to make the right choices. we expect them to take the high road and not do the things that trump is doing. we have all come to expect the gop to do the indecent things ahead of anything else these days.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    dignin said:

i think the fallout against dems would be more because we expect more from democrats. like we expect them to make the right choices. we expect them to take the high road and not do the things that trump is doing. we have all come to expect the gop to do the indecent things ahead of anything else these days.
    these days, yes, but pre trump, i think the fallout would have been equal regardless of party. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:

a state order based on cdc guidelines no less.....

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I’m on a flight for work.  Have to use company approved travel.  United.  Completely packed plane and very lax mask enforcement. Unfortunately I need the money too badly to refuse the trip.  Good thing Trumps administration has handled the virus so well that things are back to normal in the friendly skies....
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    I’m on a flight for work.  Have to use company approved travel.  United.  Completely packed plane and very lax mask enforcement. Unfortunately I need the money too badly to refuse the trip.  Good thing Trumps administration has handled the virus so well that things are back to normal in the friendly skies....
    stay safe my friend. incredible that united has no mask rules they are enforcing. unreal. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.