The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,563
    In Defense of Our Teachers
    By Dave Grohl

https://youtu.be/zNEhhDT--sc
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    In Defense of Our Teachers
    By Dave Grohl

https://youtu.be/zNEhhDT--sc
    I’m now a fan of that guy, and besides he he’s a big time RUSH fan. This whole country hear what he had say and he’s absolutely correct.

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,668
    edited July 2020
    We all know some that fits, right? From the New Yorker:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/07/20/lexicon-for-a-pandemic

Maskhole: An individual who wears a mask in a way that makes it completely ineffective—e.g., below the nose, under the chin, on the back of the head.

Face naked: The state of facial exposure that occurs when an individual declines to wear a mask in public. For example, “Pence went all face naked to the Mayo Clinic.”

Body mullet: What most people wear on Zoom calls: a nice top and, below the waist, underwear or less. (“Business up top, party down below.”)

The NOVID-19: The nineteen minutes after a too-close interaction with a maskless stranger during which you experience a thickness in your throat and a certainty that you’re dying. This sometimes lasts longer if frantic hand washing, antiseptic gargling, and estate planning are not readily available.

Overdistancing: When the guy in front of you in line has a metric understanding of the six in six feet, allowing twenty feet to open up between him and the next person in line, which then allows others to interpret that next person as the end of the line and to cut in front of you.

Domino distancing: When the person behind you in line stands too close, causing you to crowd the person in front of you, and on and on until everyone dies.

Emotional distancing: Deciding that now really isn’t the time to make big decisions about a relationship or, for that matter, to have a conversation about it.

Covideo: A short video featuring a quarantined individual’s child doing something adorable and/or profane, the public sharing of which falls somewhere between cute and a cry for help.

Stockholm syndrome: The assumption that everyone would be just fine without any government restrictions.

Someday, Noneday, Whoseday?, Whensday?, Blursday, Whyday?, Doesn’tmatterday: Days of the week.

Parenting: The ability to figure out why the PlayStation isn’t working with the Wi-Fi.

Body Zoom-morphia: Finding your own image on a group video call so unappealing that you are unable to focus on anything else.

Quorumtine: The minimum number of family members necessary to decide what to watch on TV.

Pan-demic: A potentially dangerous increase in the baking of bread in a quarantined home.

COVID-30: Formerly COVID-15; the amount of weight gained by an average adult during quarantine. Sometimes related to a pan-demic.

Helter shelter: That moment in the quarantine day when everything seems dirty and chaotic and you feel like saying, “Fuck it, let’s go outside. I don’t care if we die and a bunch of other people do, too.”

Wovid: Ceaseless voices in your head, mostly talking about truck repairs, house cleaning, golf course maintenance, Gin Blossoms, Bob Mould, tiny blankets, bloody gashes and an occasional story of waking up somewhere other than home.

Flattening the curve: Trying to fit into your jeans after three months of sweatpants. (See COVID-30.)

Germophobe: Formerly, crazy people (e.g., Howard Hughes); now everyone except crazy people.

Going viral: No longer used. ♦

Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,253

Maskhole: An individual who wears a mask in a way that makes it completely ineffective—e.g., below the nose, under the chin, on the back of the head.

Face naked: The state of facial exposure that occurs when an individual declines to wear a mask in public. For example, “Pence went all face naked to the Mayo Clinic.”

Body mullet: What most people wear on Zoom calls: a nice top and, below the waist, underwear or less. (“Business up top, party down below.”)

The NOVID-19: The nineteen minutes after a too-close interaction with a maskless stranger during which you experience a thickness in your throat and a certainty that you’re dying. This sometimes lasts longer if frantic hand washing, antiseptic gargling, and estate planning are not readily available.

Overdistancing: When the guy in front of you in line has a metric understanding of the six in six feet, allowing twenty feet to open up between him and the next person in line, which then allows others to interpret that next person as the end of the line and to cut in front of you.

Domino distancing: When the person behind you in line stands too close, causing you to crowd the person in front of you, and on and on until everyone dies.

Emotional distancing: Deciding that now really isn’t the time to make big decisions about a relationship or, for that matter, to have a conversation about it.

Covideo: A short video featuring a quarantined individual’s child doing something adorable and/or profane, the public sharing of which falls somewhere between cute and a cry for help.

Stockholm syndrome: The assumption that everyone would be just fine without any government restrictions.

Someday, Noneday, Whoseday?, Whensday?, Blursday, Whyday?, Doesn’tmatterday: Days of the week.

Parenting: The ability to figure out why the PlayStation isn’t working with the Wi-Fi.

Body Zoom-morphia: Finding your own image on a group video call so unappealing that you are unable to focus on anything else.

Quorumtine: The minimum number of family members necessary to decide what to watch on TV.

Pan-demic: A potentially dangerous increase in the baking of bread in a quarantined home.

COVID-30: Formerly COVID-15; the amount of weight gained by an average adult during quarantine. Sometimes related to a pan-demic.

Helter shelter: That moment in the quarantine day when everything seems dirty and chaotic and you feel like saying, “Fuck it, let’s go outside. I don’t care if we die and a bunch of other people do, too.”

Wovid: Ceaseless voices in your head, mostly talking about truck repairs, house cleaning, golf course maintenance, Gin Blossoms, Bob Mould, tiny blankets, bloody gashes and an occasional story of waking up somewhere other than home.

Flattening the curve: Trying to fit into your jeans after three months of sweatpants. (See COVID-30.)

Germophobe: Formerly, crazy people (e.g., Howard Hughes); now everyone except crazy people.

HAHA! These are great.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Well, this one is definitely NSFW so don't click on it if strong language bothers you. 
    It's a passionate plea that should be shared though so if you have Twitter, please feel free.
    It's important and I thank him for his service and his PSA.

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    I long for the days where the worst thing to worry about when talking too close with someone was getting a whiff of crap breath; not the f’n Rona, droplets or aerosols. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,762
    bbiggs said:
    I long for the days where the worst thing to worry about when talking too close with someone was getting a whiff of crap breath; not the f’n Rona, droplets or aerosols. 

This!  Much as I hate crap breath, I really hate the idea of getting the virus.

Kat said:
    Well, this one is definitely NSFW so don't click on it if strong language bothers you. 
    It's a passionate plea that should be shared though so if you have Twitter, please feel free.
    It's important and I thank him for his service and his PSA.

Spot on.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,682
    edited July 2020
    ^^ I did the body mullet for the 2020 teaching children UBC degree online grad photo that I submitted for them to add a background stamp to and return to me via e-mail for a keepsake. (Oh wait, that's my profile pic too, oh well, that's how we roll at home.)
  • Options

These are funny only I question "Body Mullet".   A mullet haircut is short on top, long at the back.  So wouldn't a body mullet look more like this?:
    Naked wedding dresses are the most daring trend for brides this year

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    tish said:
    Yes.

I swear under oath, I have never worn a body mullet!

• Options
    edited July 2020
    ^ Me, neither. Mine showed off my legs. Speaking of mullets, that's how my covid hair ended up after the pink went blond, then green in the pool, then brown/green, then darker brown with light browner roots and some of the top lengths burned off. I could pull off a mullet practically. My poor, poor, covid hair. I'm sticking to hats and French twists! Damn, I should have worn the damn mask, found a bloody sitter, and got the balayage by pros. F**K!

Oh: And to make matters worse, it's naturally curly on the top hair, but the beautiful hair that I dyed pink for that wonderful cruise, where I saw that super cute guy and a couple of sea creatures... I digress... it's not even Waynes World cute. The shortened top odd few layers are curly and the rest of the treated hair lost its' bounce.

And now, back to the other curses of the virus... (meaningless rant complete).
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,190
    Fauci’s first pitch pretty much sums up the last 4 months.
  • Options
    tish said:
    ^ Me, neither. Mine showed off my legs. Speaking of mullets, that's how my covid hair ended up after the pink went blond, then green in the pool, then brown/green, then darker brown with light browner roots and some of the top lengths burned off. I could pull off a mullet practically. My poor, poor, covid hair. I'm sticking to hats and French twists! Damn, I should have worn the damn mask, found a bloody sitter, and got the balayage by pros. F**K!

Oh: And to make matters worse, it's naturally curly on the top hair, but the beautiful hair that I dyed pink for that wonderful cruise, where I saw that super cute guy and a couple of sea creatures... I digress... it's not even Waynes World cute. The shortened top odd few layers are curly and the rest of the treated hair lost its' bounce.

And now, back to the other curses of the virus... (meaningless rant complete).

Lots of color changes! 

Oddly enough, mine just keeps going from brown to more grey. :lol:

• Options
    What about the hair on your head?
  • Options
    tish said:
    What about the hair on your head?

:rofl:

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    https://www.star-telegram.com/news/coronavirus/article244443257.html
    Damn how do the families at home keep from being infected? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,111

'No proof,' Official defends Sweden's controversial Covid-19 move

https://youtu.be/3YQkiHIQ7Dw

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited July 2020
    So Capitalist Death panels.  Remember when the ACA and the threat of socialized medicine were going to cause death panels? Way to go private for profit health insurance industry! 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    If death panels aren’t cause to shut down the country again and start from scratch I don’t know what is.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,906
    little update. still nothing posted anywhere in our building. but of the drivers I have seen in the common room, all are in masks but 2. At least one of those is kinda a prick anyway but was railing against dewine this morning.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,253
    I find it interesting that there's this huge push to get kids back in public schools when all you would hear about before the pandemic was how shitty US public schools were in several areas. Now it's like, we can't handle this anymore, send these kids back to school!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,733
    JW269453 said:
    Not counting Bababooey of the Howard Stern show, It was probably the worst first pitch ever. At least Trump didn't make fun of him on Twitter. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,831
    JW269453 said:
    Not counting Bababooey of the Howard Stern show, It was probably the worst first pitch ever. At least Trump didn't make fun of him on Twitter. 
    Yet.. lol

and yes, no pitch is worse than Ta Ta Toothey. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,255
    nicknyr15 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Yet.. lol

I dunno. Bad as Baba Booey's was, there's some real clunkers here, especially Carly Rae Jepsen, 50 Cent and Monique Evans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPRBFT1DAng
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,831
    Poncier said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Yet.. lol

I dunno. Bad as Baba Booey's was, there's some real clunkers here, especially Carly Rae Jepsen, 50 Cent and Monique Evans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPRBFT1DAng
    I forgot about 50!!! Wow that’s bad. At least we got tons of entertainment from the aftermath of BaBAs pitch 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,071
    nicknyr15 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Yet.. lol

Fa fa flow hi
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,563
This discussion has been closed.