The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,443
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    A vaccine is not going to rid us of this problem being that so many will refuse to get vaccinated.  I don't see how a vaccine is the silver bullet in this case.

But most of those that refuse to get vaccinated will be willing to go to games, concerts, work, etc.  So it'll be part "herd immunity" and part vaccine. Certain jobs (medical, of course) will probably have requirements (I assume that's legal and done with measles, etc.). It would be ideal if everyone who can get vaccinated would and hopefully it will be roughly as effective as the vaccinations most of us use today.

I'm not sure that relying on herd immunity is a viable option either at this point, being that studies continue to show that antibody levels decrease rapidly after infection.  As a layman, it seems to me that this virus will continue to circulate even after a vaccine is available.

Herd immunity is not a solution from what I can tell and I partly said it tongue-in-cheek.  I just hope that the anti-vaxxers don't lead to the rest of us (or people that have legit medical reasons to not be able to take it) being in danger.  The anti-vax movement is pretty strong and pre-dates Trump.  It's not going anywhere any time soon. 
    I will get a vaccine and the people that don't will most likely have health problems for the rest of their lives...  That is not something I would take lightly.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,384
    I guess killing 100 people in The Station nightclub fire wasn’t enough?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/14/us/great-white-band-apology-trnd/index.html
    Not exactly the same band.
    Only one member of the version in the above link, Mark Kendall, was at The Station. The rest of that band was Jack Russell's solo band, Great White had split in 2001.Shortly before the night of the fire, they brought Kendall on to use the name Great White. Russell now fronts a different band going by "Jack Russell's Great White"
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    A vaccine is not going to rid us of this problem being that so many will refuse to get vaccinated.  I don't see how a vaccine is the silver bullet in this case.

But most of those that refuse to get vaccinated will be willing to go to games, concerts, work, etc.  So it'll be part "herd immunity" and part vaccine. Certain jobs (medical, of course) will probably have requirements (I assume that's legal and done with measles, etc.). It would be ideal if everyone who can get vaccinated would and hopefully it will be roughly as effective as the vaccinations most of us use today.

I'm not sure that relying on herd immunity is a viable option either at this point, being that studies continue to show that antibody levels decrease rapidly after infection.  As a layman, it seems to me that this virus will continue to circulate even after a vaccine is available.

Herd immunity is not a solution from what I can tell and I partly said it tongue-in-cheek.  I just hope that the anti-vaxxers don't lead to the rest of us (or people that have legit medical reasons to not be able to take it) being in danger.  The anti-vax movement is pretty strong and pre-dates Trump.  It's not going anywhere any time soon. 
    I will get a vaccine and the people that don't will most likely have health problems for the rest of their lives...  That is not something I would take lightly.
    Maybe it was just my relative pov but wasn’t the antivax movement started by liberals? Seems the general cartoon version of them went from unwashed, dreadlocked, stoners and celebrities that that wanted to be tied more to that image and now it’s old white guys in riot gear and ultra Karen’s. Is it just the extremes on both sides? 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    So now they’re making hospitals report cases directly to the White house instead of the cdc?

We are so fucked. Most people aren’t going to pay attention to that. They’re just going to see the numbers magically go down...meanwhile people will still be getting sick and dying. 

It’s like we’re living in a. Science fiction horror movie 
    I think I'm getting close from changing gears on this whole thing....was looking to buy another property before and take advantage and now I'm thinking I should be selling my house, pocketing what I make on that and downsizing or moving to a much cheaper area, stat.
    The need to fly weekly is gone for the foreseeable future and all reasons to be nearby a city are also muted to dead for the foreseeable future.
    Might be time to head to the hills and just sock away the additional savings for a time.

Fuck that goddamned idiot for offering no leadership/direction/hope.  The virus isn't his fault but the position we are in I squarely blame him and the moron sheep following him for.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:

Maybe it was just my relative pov but wasn’t the antivax movement started by liberals? Seems the general cartoon version of them went from unwashed, dreadlocked, stoners and celebrities that that wanted to be tied more to that image and now it’s old white guys in riot gear and ultra Karen’s. Is it just the extremes on both sides? 
    It's a small fringe group for both and the Hasidic community too.  They will have none of that.
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,219
    JW269453 said:
    pjl44 said:
    For where we're at in the process, this is pretty good news on the vaccine front 

https://apnews.com/e4d5259bfc6c74fcb090d885737c55a6?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow
    It makes me wonder why we can't find a vaccine for the common cold, another Coronavirus variant. Is it because it would kill the over-the-counter pharma industry? We're being duped, one way or the other, and no, I'm not an anti-vaxxer.
    I think more than anything the threat of the common cold doesn’t warrant the expense and effort in finding a vaccine. The average medicine cabinet would definitely look different as well and big pharma don’t play that.
    clown GIF
    I don't really get the meme. Is that me you're smacking down? 

Here's the guy from Merck. He has more credibility than me on this.

10:14 p.m.

Promises of a vaccine in near future do the public a ‘grave disservice,’ says CEO of pharma giant Merck

The promise has come from the Trump administration’s politicos and infectious-disease experts alike: There will be a coronavirus vaccine by the end of the year or by early 2021, a timeline so fast that the White House came up with a name for the project that seemed ripped from a comic book — Operation Warp Speed.

But Ken Frazier, CEO of Merck & Co., one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world, said such vows ignore the country’s troubled history of breakneck vaccine development and can undermine important public health measures.

“When people tell the public that there’s going to be a vaccine by the end of 2020 … they do a grave disservice to the public,” Frazier said in a video interview with Tsedal Neeley, a professor at Harvard Business School. “I think at the end of the day, we don’t want to rush the vaccine before we’ve done rigorous science. We’ve seen in the past, for example, with the swine flu, that that vaccine did more harm than good. We don’t have a great history of introducing vaccines quickly in the middle of a pandemic. We want to keep that in mind.”

Frazier added: “When we do tell people that a vaccine’s coming right away, we allow politicians to actually tell the public not to do the things that the public needs to do like wear the d--- masks. Okay? We were so unprepared for this pandemic. It’s not even funny on so many levels.”

Merck, one of the leading vaccine producers, announced in May that it would develop and manufacture two covid-19 vaccines and an experimental antiviral treatment. The company publicized its plans months after some of its competitors, and Frazier said that when a vaccine is ready, Merck is committed to “broad, equitable, affordable access” to the drug “no matter where you are in the world.”

Anthony S. Fauci, the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has tempered Trump’s “warp speed” pledge slightly, saying in May that a vaccine could be ready in 12 to 18 months. On Tuesday, Fauci said he is “cautiously optimistic” about the state of vaccine development, citing positive early reports from one drug’s trials and other promising candidates.

“I think we’re in a pretty good place when it comes to vaccines,” Fauci said.

By Reis Thebault
    Homie D. Clown was a character on the sketch show In Living Color in the early 90s. His catch phrase was “homie don’t play that” followed by a smack. It was meant to show how I feel big pharma would react to a vaccine for the common cold. Not directed at you, I assumed the gif would be pretty recognizable since the show was on the same time PJ was taking the world by storm.
  • Options
    JW269453 said:
    JW269453 said:
    pjl44 said:
    For where we're at in the process, this is pretty good news on the vaccine front 

https://apnews.com/e4d5259bfc6c74fcb090d885737c55a6?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow
    It makes me wonder why we can't find a vaccine for the common cold, another Coronavirus variant. Is it because it would kill the over-the-counter pharma industry? We're being duped, one way or the other, and no, I'm not an anti-vaxxer.
    I think more than anything the threat of the common cold doesn’t warrant the expense and effort in finding a vaccine. The average medicine cabinet would definitely look different as well and big pharma don’t play that.
    clown GIF
    I don't really get the meme. Is that me you're smacking down? 

Here's the guy from Merck. He has more credibility than me on this.

10:14 p.m.

Promises of a vaccine in near future do the public a ‘grave disservice,’ says CEO of pharma giant Merck

The promise has come from the Trump administration’s politicos and infectious-disease experts alike: There will be a coronavirus vaccine by the end of the year or by early 2021, a timeline so fast that the White House came up with a name for the project that seemed ripped from a comic book — Operation Warp Speed.

But Ken Frazier, CEO of Merck & Co., one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world, said such vows ignore the country’s troubled history of breakneck vaccine development and can undermine important public health measures.

“When people tell the public that there’s going to be a vaccine by the end of 2020 … they do a grave disservice to the public,” Frazier said in a video interview with Tsedal Neeley, a professor at Harvard Business School. “I think at the end of the day, we don’t want to rush the vaccine before we’ve done rigorous science. We’ve seen in the past, for example, with the swine flu, that that vaccine did more harm than good. We don’t have a great history of introducing vaccines quickly in the middle of a pandemic. We want to keep that in mind.”

Frazier added: “When we do tell people that a vaccine’s coming right away, we allow politicians to actually tell the public not to do the things that the public needs to do like wear the d--- masks. Okay? We were so unprepared for this pandemic. It’s not even funny on so many levels.”

Merck, one of the leading vaccine producers, announced in May that it would develop and manufacture two covid-19 vaccines and an experimental antiviral treatment. The company publicized its plans months after some of its competitors, and Frazier said that when a vaccine is ready, Merck is committed to “broad, equitable, affordable access” to the drug “no matter where you are in the world.”

Anthony S. Fauci, the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has tempered Trump’s “warp speed” pledge slightly, saying in May that a vaccine could be ready in 12 to 18 months. On Tuesday, Fauci said he is “cautiously optimistic” about the state of vaccine development, citing positive early reports from one drug’s trials and other promising candidates.

“I think we’re in a pretty good place when it comes to vaccines,” Fauci said.

By Reis Thebault
    Homie D. Clown was a character on the sketch show In Living Color in the early 90s. His catch phrase was “homie don’t play that” followed by a smack. It was meant to show how I feel big pharma would react to a vaccine for the common cold. Not directed at you, I assumed the gif would be pretty recognizable since the show was on the same time PJ was taking the world by storm.
    How does Homie feel about the "establishment"?
  • Options
    dignin said:
    I admit that if I am not near anyone I do not wear my mask.  I also don't wear it when I'm on the beach but I am not in any type of crowd either.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,450
    Folks, Big NyQuil is not holding back a vaccine for the common cold 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,933

So now they’re making hospitals report cases directly to the White house instead of the cdc?

We are so fucked. Most people aren’t going to pay attention to that. They’re just going to see the numbers magically go down...meanwhile people will still be getting sick and dying. 

It’s like we’re living in a. Science fiction horror movie 
    I think I'm getting close from changing gears on this whole thing....was looking to buy another property before and take advantage and now I'm thinking I should be selling my house, pocketing what I make on that and downsizing or moving to a much cheaper area, stat.
    The need to fly weekly is gone for the foreseeable future and all reasons to be nearby a city are also muted to dead for the foreseeable future.
    Might be time to head to the hills and just sock away the additional savings for a time.

Fuck that goddamned idiot for offering no leadership/direction/hope.  The virus isn't his fault but the position we are in I squarely blame him and the moron sheep following him for.
    This is going to be a real thing.  People wanting to move away from densely populated areas will be driven by the mental scarring from this pandemic, the civil unrest taking place in the streets of most major cities and the shift away from the brick and mortar office to being able to work from home.  I think we're going to be staring down a lot of vacant buildings in the not too distant future.  I've already talked to multiple long-time customers that have expressed interest in making the move from downtown to the suburbs.  All of them were city "lifers" before 2020 began. 

• Options
    I think there's going to be a huge sag, but cities will eventually bounce back. If one is so inclined, there will probably come a point where you can buy in at a price you wouldn't have expected, provided you can ride out the tail end.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    I think there's going to be a huge sag, but cities will eventually bounce back. If one is so inclined, there will probably come a point where you can buy in at a price you wouldn't have expected, provided you can ride out the tail end.
    Agreed there will always be opportunity.  I think commercial real estate is in big trouble though, even on a long term basis.  Time will tell.  This f'n virus has forever changed things in some ways.

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,384
    Commercial real estate is at the least facing a long down turn, and maybe worse as many companies realize they can have employees work form home. Lots of them will downsize or possibly eliminate their commercial office spaces.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    Virtual companies are a thing, people just haven't fully recognized that yet.  Six months from now it will be a simple fact.  
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    pjl44 said:
    Agreed there will always be opportunity.  I think commercial real estate is in big trouble though, even on a long term basis.  Time will tell.  This f'n virus has forever changed things in some ways.

I go back and forth on that. My wife and I have both been fortunate to continue working remote. I think people have seen the possibility of more remote work, but we both agree that each of our organizations have teams/functions where it just won't work long term. I can see where there might be less demand for office space but really can't size up how much less.

Also, related to cities, does that decrease in demand for office space result in a lower cost of entry for other businesses? I have watched a TON of development in Boston, especially over the last 5-10 years. It's possible that turning say 10% of office buildings into condos and retail storefronts is plenty sustainable. Who loses if big cities go from punishingly expensive to kinda expensive? I think there is a lot of demand in general for city life.
  • Options
    Another question: If you're a big believer in a move to remote work, will that ultimately drive up the suburban real estate market? Will more people want dedicated office space in their homes? I can tell you from firsthand experience that a lot of people with good jobs are working from their dining room table, a corner of their basement, etc. If this is the wave of the future, that ain't sustainable. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,241
    edited July 2020
    OnWis97 said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Some countries get it....One would assume it is easier to control 4.8 million people compared to 326.7 million people who already can't agree on anything...just slightly though.
    Gotta comb the internet to get mad though
    Comb the internet? 137,000 deaths and counting...

Didn't even need the internet for that one.
    Is there a coronavirus hotline number you could share for US only stats, or does your non internet Canadian news source of choice just choose to pay as much attention to the US as you do?
    Still think you would be in the same covid disaster with Hillary at the helm?

Sure you do, it's American exceptionalism!
    I’ve already stated that it is pointless to play those silly games. Could be better or it could be worse, no different than literally any other scenario you could dream about. It just seems weird that you choose to immerse yourself in all things US, but I understand the need to feel accepted is greater for some. I am glad you have found your home.
    Could be better, could be worse? Guess we shouldn't bother with critical thought, because, ya know, silly.

I have no idea what you're going on about. Accepted? Found my home?

Any objective person can see your president has fucked this up beyond any imaginable measure. A complete and total fraud. I'm just glad the Canadian border in (mostly) closed.
     I commented because common sense would suggest comparing the US and NZ is a major stretch given the population disparity. Pretty simple, and in no way political. You bring up the US death toll and then hillary for some reason, thank you for your critical thinking. Now you are saying about trump what has already been said a million times over like there are people who still haven’t heard this or realize it. More critical thinking or just copy and paste? I have never participated in our political process and prefer not to bitch and moan everyday, but don’t worry I have already been made aware it is my fault trump was elected In the first place so you can save yourself from that line. Back to the virus.
    How about comparing the US to the EU?

https://www.statista.com/chart/22102/daily-covid-19-cases-in-the-us-and-the-eu/

Population of EU: 445 million
    Population of the US: 331 million

Yea, nobody does it better than 'Murica. And anyone, anyone, could have done a better job of reacting to and managing Covid in the US than Team Trump Treason.
    I hate Trump as much as the next person, but at this point, I'm laying the blame at the foot of the American people. At this point, people have decided to play Russian roulette with this virus. So far, if you're white, you've been mostly lucky. This luck will run out when the white teachers go into schools with their black and brown students and bring it into their cozy, clean neighborhoods. Get ready for October, everyone. 
    While I think it's disingenuous to blame Trump for 135,000 out of 135,000 deaths, I do think it would be going a bit better with Hillary.  I don't think she'd be actively trying to wish away all negative news and contradicting actual experts for the sake of her election.  Yeah, she'd have made missteps (as do the experts; it's science, not the bible). Not to mention that even without missteps we weren't going to get through this unscathed.  But the focus from the White House would be on actually trying to mitigate as opposed to dividing us and winning an election.

But I agree that the lion's share of the problem is simply "America."  We're probably the most individual-focused (i.e., least collective-focused) country in the world.  We look out for ourselves in America and we don't generally like to make personal sacrifices for the greater good. And we don't like to be told what to do. This would still be a factor under Hillary.  And she's hated enough that her wearing a mask might have the same outcome as Trump not wearing one (i.e., people not wearing them to own the libs).  So either way, this was probably a perfect disaster for the US to show the world what it is.

Trump gets the blame for the continued upward curve.  The rest of the modern world and several democratic states figured out how to get the infection rate down 95%.

Trumps mixed messaging, lack of dedication to science and intelligence and failure to pay attention to the early spike in italy (which had a lot of direct flights to NYC)that led to the NYC problem is entirely trumps fault. 

Hillary would have acted like a Cuomo or Murphy.
    Nobody doubts Hilary would have acted differently.  We all doubt the public would have acted differently. Instead of showing up at state houses with automatic rifles, they would have shown up at the White House, en masse.

I do not believe there is evidence to support that. The poor and mixed messaging from trump has given validity to the irresponsible and non believers of science. As a result  we have seen America’s fast and unique second spike.

I would not be quick to discount Trumps use of the bully pulpit as America stands alone as an advanced western nation failing against covid. The UK just overwhelmingly voted for a conservative anti immigration leader, yet  that country figured out how to keep the curve down. So far. Conservative states are again shutting down in phases. No automatic rifles yet. Gov Whitmer did not back down from that absurd attempt at intimidation. Polling tells us two thirds of Americans disapprove of trumps handling of covid.

Americans think they believe in liberty, but all that’s just misguided tribalism politics. Libertarianism in America  is just code for wanting no gun restrictions, no matter how many school shootings pile up. By following science, we would have far more liberty in two months than we do now. A supermajority of Americans agree.

If we had a president who was thoughtful, smart and pushed scientific solutions to covid, there is an excellent chance americas curve would be comparable to the major euro nations.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    Another question: If you're a big believer in a move to remote work, will that ultimately drive up the suburban real estate market? Will more people want dedicated office space in their homes? I can tell you from firsthand experience that a lot of people with good jobs are working from their dining room table, a corner of their basement, etc. If this is the wave of the future, that ain't sustainable. 
    I do believe suburban real estate will be in higher demand and I also believe people will be looking to have dedicated workspace from home.  I do not think cities will become ghost towns, but I've already seen demand for making home improvements, additions, rehab projects (i.e. home office), etc. increase as a result of the current environment.  I say that from the standpoint of what I do for a living (mortgage lending), so my sample size is small if we're talking on a national level, but I'm having conversations about this with customers on a much more frequent basis. 

• Options
    ^^ agree with most of that
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    pjl44 said:
    I do believe suburban real estate will be in higher demand and I also believe people will be looking to have dedicated workspace from home.  I do not think cities will become ghost towns, but I've already seen demand for making home improvements, additions, rehab projects (i.e. home office), etc. increase as a result of the current environment.  I say that from the standpoint of what I do for a living (mortgage lending), so my sample size is small if we're talking on a national level, but I'm having conversations about this with customers on a much more frequent basis. 

Very interesting, especially from someone who would be in the know
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 37,007
    Nobody’s talking about the mortgage delinquencies that are piling up. We all know what happened the last time that happened though, don’t we?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,657
    Everyone I talk to in different markets is saying house sales are booming (less inventory so lots of demand and competition).  Great time to be selling a house in a lot of areas (and bad for me who wants to buy one). 
  • Options
    Nobody’s talking about the mortgage delinquencies that are piling up. We all know what happened the last time that happened though, don’t we?
    There could definitely be in increase in foreclosures that could, in turn, put downward pressure on home values.  Luckily, we haven't seen that yet.  Inventory is extremely low so supply/ demand is in balance and home values have remained in balance as a result.  When this first began in March I thought the housing market (home sale activity) would be crushed this year, but I've been dead wrong so far.  The main difference between 2008/2009 and today is lending standards.  Everyone who buys a home today must prove they can afford it, unlike the early 2000's.  A foreclosure surge/ housing collapse would be solely driven by the economic downturn and loss of jobs rather than by loose lending of years past.  I don't think we've seen the full ripple effects of the virus yet though.

• Options
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    pjl44 said:

Very interesting, especially from someone who would be in the know
    Take it with a grain of salt.  I'm going solely on observations in my business and personal predictions for the most part.  I could certainly be wrong.

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    There could definitely be in increase in foreclosures that could, in turn, put downward pressure on home values.  Luckily, we haven't seen that yet.  Inventory is extremely low so supply/ demand is in balance and home values have remained in balance as a result.  When this first began in March I thought the housing market (home sale activity) would be crushed this year, but I've been dead wrong so far.  The main difference between 2008/2009 and today is lending standards.  Everyone who buys a home today must prove they can afford it, unlike the early 2000's.  A foreclosure surge/ housing collapse would be solely driven by the economic downturn and loss of jobs rather than by loose lending of years past.  I don't think we've seen the full ripple effects of the virus yet though.

We bought in 2012 into 2013 and I remember laughing at how strict they were.  We were putting more than required down, lots left in bank,800+ credit, longevity at jobs, no debt, etc....and we still had to fill out so much crap.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,593
    Maybe it will be Wal-Mart that finally get Americans to do the right thing...
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,593
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 37,007
    Maybe it will be Wal-Mart that finally get Americans to do the right thing...
    Better have an ambulance or two standing by or make more of those electric carts available.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.