The coronavirus

Comments

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    pjl44 said:
    JW269453 said:
    One would assume it is easier to control 4.8 million people compared to 326.7 million people who already can't agree on anything...just slightly though.
    Gotta comb the internet to get mad though
    Comb the internet? 137,000 deaths and counting...

Didn't even need the internet for that one.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,146
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    JW269453 said:
    One would assume it is easier to control 4.8 million people compared to 326.7 million people who already can't agree on anything...just slightly though.

How is Liechtenstein doing tho
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,301
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    JW269453 said:

84 cases with 1 death

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    JW269453 said:

84 cases with 1 death

Thank's
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    edited July 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Sigh...
    What is it like in Virginia? The only news I have read from you guys is monuments coming down. 
    In my county (metro Richmond) we had our biggest one week spike in a long time last week.  But it went from 4 to 59, so not massive.  Back down this past week.  The state is not doing great, but it's okay.  We have big metro areas with lots of travelers, so you have to expect that we'll be along for the ride with the rest of the country, especially because it's beach season and everyone comes through or stays in VA.  

I do feel good that mask adherence is up even from a few weeks ago.  Last time I commented on it, probably a month ago, I would say in the suburban/urban areas, adherence was about 75%.  Now it's definitely in the 90's.  Very few people are in public areas without them. 

Northern Virginia sees ebb in virus cases while numbers reach record highs elsewhere in state

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/coronavirus-dc-maryland-virginia/2020/07/13/191de60a-c513-11ea-b037-f9711f89ee46_story.html

--------------------------------------------------------------
    The beaches are a problem. So are two places in the state where we have meat-packing plants. I can also report that NoVa rush hour traffic is back to pre-pandemic levels, so I don't think we'll be "ebbing" for long. 
    Post edited by what dreams on
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Sigh...
    What is it like in Virginia? The only news I have read from you guys is monuments coming down. 
    In my county (metro Richmond) we had our biggest one week spike in a long time last week.  But it went from 4 to 59, so not massive.  Back down this past week.  The state is not doing great, but it's okay.  We have big metro areas with lots of travelers, so you have to expect that we'll be along for the ride with the rest of the country, especially because it's beach season and everyone comes through or stays in VA.  

I do feel good that mask adherence is up even from a few weeks ago.  Last time I commented on it, probably a month ago, I would say in the suburban/urban areas, adherence was about 75%.  Now it's definitely in the 90's.  Very few people are in public areas without them. 

Northern Virginia sees ebb in virus cases while numbers reach record highs elsewhere in state

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/coronavirus-dc-maryland-virginia/2020/07/13/191de60a-c513-11ea-b037-f9711f89ee46_story.html

The beaches are a problem. So are two places in the state where we have meat-packing plants. I can also report that NoVa rush hour traffic is back to pre-pandemic levels, so I don't think we'll be "ebbing" for long. 
    I live 10 minutes from the Perdue Chicken plant that's on the 33 in Hanover county.  I live in the northern tip of Henrico.  I haven't heard of any outbreak up there and Hanover is definitely has a lower ratio than us.  But I'm sure plenty of those workers live in Henrico, Goochland, etc.  The spike in Hampton Roads makes perfect sense.  The beaches are BAU, although I'm sure the bars are closed and restaurants are spaced, but still you have people traveling in from all over the country. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Sigh...

I live 10 minutes from the Perdue Chicken plant that's on the 33 in Hanover county.  I live in the northern tip of Henrico.  I haven't heard of any outbreak up there and Hanover is definitely has a lower ratio than us.  But I'm sure plenty of those workers live in Henrico, Goochland, etc.  The spike in Hampton Roads makes perfect sense.  The beaches are BAU, although I'm sure the bars are closed and restaurants are spaced, but still you have people traveling in from all over the country. 
    It's the Perdue and Tyson factory farms on the Eastern Shore.
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    JW269453 said:

Is there a coronavirus hotline number you could share for US only stats, or does your non internet Canadian news source of choice just choose to pay as much attention to the US as you do?
    rick moranis bob and doug mackenzie GIF by Warner Archive
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    JW269453 said:

Is there a coronavirus hotline number you could share for US only stats, or does your non internet Canadian news source of choice just choose to pay as much attention to the US as you do?
    Still think you would be in the same covid disaster with Hillary at the helm?

Sure you do, it's American exceptionalism!
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Sigh...

Ah.. Yeah this is some sort of processing plant, but it's relatively small compared to some that I've seen before.  Never see more than 40 or 50 cars in the parking lot it seems. 
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,433
    Bigger spaces, fewer faces! Stay well, all from Beautiful BC!
    dignin said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    JW269453 said:

I’ve already stated that it is pointless to play those silly games. Could be better or it could be worse, no different than literally any other scenario you could dream about. It just seems weird that you choose to immerse yourself in all things US, but I understand the need to feel accepted is greater for some. I am glad you have found your home.
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    JW269453 said:

I’ve already stated that it is pointless to play those silly games. Could be better or it could be worse, no different than literally any other scenario you could dream about. It just seems weird that you choose to immerse yourself in all things US, but I understand the need to feel accepted is greater for some. I am glad you have found your home.
    Could be better, could be worse? Guess we shouldn't bother with critical thought, because, ya know, silly.

I have no idea what you're going on about. Accepted? Found my home?

Any objective person can see your president has fucked this up beyond any imaginable measure. A complete and total fraud. I'm just glad the Canadian border in (mostly) closed.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,520
    edited July 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Sigh...

Ah.. Yeah this is some sort of processing plant, but it's relatively small compared to some that I've seen before.  Never see more than 40 or 50 cars in the parking lot it seems. 

I am on a short vacation on the southern tip of NJ, in a county that has seen well under 1000 cases total. Mask wearing is perhaps over a third at best but well under half. Many people appear to take precaution to keep six feet apart in public but a significant amount could not be bothered. The tables at restaurants are barely six feet apart but the chairs are easily closer than six feet. Beach chairs may be spaced apart, even if six feet, the beach looks pretty normal and crowded. I’ve made the Lakes of the Ozarks comment to my wife a few times. I’d say I can keep the six feet about 95% of the time.

Without droning on more in too much detail, I am convinced the northeast will see another spike by the end of the year.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,081
    edited July 2020
    Why would you even be there?
    To participate makes you part of it, no?
    (Do you have a house on the shore or something?  If not I don't understand why people are going there....just a general question, not meant to be singling out what you choose to do.)

And, as someone who lives in Cherry Hill, South Jersey has a huge number of knuckle dragger, Trump Fans who are anti - virus thinkers.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    edited July 2020
    (Do you have a house on the shore or something?  If not I don't understand why people are going there....just a general question, not meant to be singling out what you choose to do.)

And, as someone who lives in Cherry Hill, South Jersey has a huge number of knuckle dragger, Trump Fans who are anti - virus thinkers.
    Why would they be there?  Well I guess because if people were taking normal precautions it would be pretty safe.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Cuomo is selling covid merch. Weird weird weird. I think there are still a few lava foils left.

• Why would you even be there?

Why would they be there?  Well I guess because if people were taking normal precautions it would be pretty safe.
    Everyone has their take on what we should be doing to try and keep things from spreading, I guess.
    My take is to stay home.  No need to go to another state and have a vacation.  A want?  Of course, like most the plans we made for this year are trashed   For me, traveling is not a need and not a must right now and I think that while there are ways to be pretty safe, the way to be most safe and contribute least to the spread is only to travel if there is a must.

I do understand being stir crazy and wanting to get out and get a change of scenery.  I took 46 trips for work and many for pleasure in addition to that last year.  Not at all used to being cooped up....but this is how I feel riding this out looks best 
    Not saying that is best, just what I feel is best for us.
    dignin said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    JW269453 said:

Could be better, could be worse? Guess we shouldn't bother with critical thought, because, ya know, silly.

Any objective person can see your president has fucked this up beyond any imaginable measure. A complete and total fraud. I'm just glad the Canadian border in (mostly) closed.
     I commented because common sense would suggest comparing the US and NZ is a major stretch given the population disparity. Pretty simple, and in no way political. You bring up the US death toll and then hillary for some reason, thank you for your critical thinking. Now you are saying about trump what has already been said a million times over like there are people who still haven’t heard this or realize it. More critical thinking or just copy and paste? I have never participated in our political process and prefer not to bitch and moan everyday, but don’t worry I have already been made aware it is my fault trump was elected In the first place so you can save yourself from that line. Back to the virus.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332

Everyone has their take on what we should be doing to try and keep things from spreading, I guess.
    My take is to stay home.  No need to go to another state and have a vacation.  A want?  Of course, like most the plans we made for this year are trashed   For me, traveling is not a need and not a must right now and I think that while there are ways to be pretty safe, the way to be most safe and contribute least to the spread is only to travel if there is a must.

I do understand being stir crazy and wanting to get out and get a change of scenery.  I took 46 trips for work and many for pleasure in addition to that last year.  Not at all used to being cooped up....but this is how I feel riding this out looks best 
    I get it.

I just think we actually could continue to do SOME things if we were smart about it (masks, social distancing, hand washing).  Simple things and we can do more than just stay at home.  Trying to balance health, economy, mental health ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    pjl44 said:
    Cuomo is selling covid merch. Weird weird weird. I think there are still a few lava foils left.

A few months ago, when Cuomo became a "star" so-to-speak with his daily briefings, there were people suggesting he could be a good presidential candidate someday. I was dismissive at the time. But this is so Trumpy, maybe he actually has a chance. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Sigh...

I don't think we're talking about the same place. The two plants on the Eastern Shore have over 3000 employees. 
  • Why would you even be there?

I get it.

I just think we actually could continue to do SOME things if we were smart about it (masks, social distancing, hand washing).  Simple things and we can do more than just stay at home.  Trying to balance health, economy, mental health ;)
    Agree overall but the part about us being smart....that is the loose leg on that chair of thought, to me.  We prove that we are not smart, over and over.  :lol:
    I don't understand why anyone thinks half ass measures are going to do anything except prolong the suffering, both to our health and the economy. Either we try again with a fully national, close to 100% shutdown (we got  to about 50% at best, according to estimates I've seen), or we just say fuck it and give up. I see and hear people all around me going with the give up route. Masking, social distancing, hand-washing -- those are mitigating behaviors. Those are not "Let's squash this fucking virus" behaviors. Seriously -- all these idiots at the beach this summer. You couldn't go one damn summer of your life without a beach vacation???

I'm a teacher trying to get my students back in school so their parents can go back to work. Taking them on a beach vacation shows me these parents are not serious at all about getting back to work or school. 
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    JW269453 said:

I commented because common sense would suggest comparing the US and NZ is a major stretch given the population disparity. Pretty simple, and in no way political. You bring up the US death toll and then hillary for some reason, thank you for your critical thinking. Now you are saying about trump what has already been said a million times over like there are people who still haven’t heard this or realize it. More critical thinking or just copy and paste? I have never participated in our political process and prefer not to bitch and moan everyday, but don’t worry I have already been made aware it is my fault trump was elected In the first place so you can save yourself from that line. Back to the virus.
    It really is interesting (to put it friendly) to admittingly never participate in the political process then come on the AMT and criticize people who do. I guess how ever you get your kicks? Obviously you want to participate in politics, even if by just passive aggressively defending Trump. So if you want to continue this defense let's continue it over in the Trump thread. :) 

But yeah, back to the virus (which has become very much politicised). I nervously watch the dumpster fire in the US hoping it doesn't spread to my country, the intensity of the virus and stupidity. 
    edited July 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Sigh...

I don't think we're talking about the same place. The two plants on the Eastern Shore have over 3000 employees. 
    No, definitely not. And I'm nowhere near the Eastern Shore.  I was wondering where the uptick in cases was originating.  This makes sense. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Someone please answer me this: why does the right dislike Fauci so much?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    It's nothing personal.  Trump always needs a foil, an enemy.  Someone who wronged him.  In this case, it started because Fauci was so conservative in his advice on the pandemic.  He made the cardinal sin of prioritizing health over the economy.  The right wing media was the first to start criticizing him, and Trump has taken that mantle.  It's interesting to see the symbiotic and circular nature of the relationship between Trump and his base.  They feed each other ideas and if anything, Trump follows their lead. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    It's nothing personal.  Trump always needs a foil, an enemy.  Someone who wronged him.  In this case, it started because Fauci was so conservative in his advice on the pandemic.  He made the cardinal sin of prioritizing health over the economy.  The right wing media was the first to start criticizing him, and Trump has taken that mantle.  It's interesting to see the symbiotic and circular nature of the relationship between Trump and his base.  They feed each other ideas and if anything, Trump follows their lead. 
    That makes perfect sense.  Thanks bud. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
This discussion has been closed.