The coronavirus

Comments

• RYMERYME Posts: 1,904
    edited July 2020
    https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fox-35-investigates-florida-department-of-health-says-some-labs-have-not-reported-negative-covid-19-results
    This is Orlando Fox affiliate channel 35
    Not Fox News Channel.
    More game playing.
    100% positive testing.  Yeah
    Post edited by RYME on
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,425
    RYME said:
    https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fox-35-investigates-florida-department-of-health-says-some-labs-have-not-reported-negative-covid-19-results
    Not Fox News Channel.
    More game playing.
    The testing has always been shit. They do not say that the positives were not positives however but they were not including the negatives in the tally.

Either way look at the hospitals right now in Florida right now. That should be enough evidence to you what is going on in that state.  
  • From WI all that happens in FL looks like a hoax.
    SMH

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,461
    PJNB said:
    RYME said:
    Not Fox News Channel.
    More game playing.
    The testing has always been shit. They do not say that the positives were not positives however but they were not including the negatives in the tally.

Either way look at the hospitals right now in Florida right now. That should be enough evidence to you what is going on in that state.  
    Exactly. 
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,301
    I guess killing 100 people in The Station nightclub fire wasn’t enough?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/14/us/great-white-band-apology-trnd/index.html
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,520
    Why would you even be there?
    To participate makes you part of it, no?
    (Do you have a house on the shore or something?  If not I don't understand why people are going there....just a general question, not meant to be singling out what you choose to do.)

And, as someone who lives in Cherry Hill, South Jersey has a huge number of knuckle dragger, Trump Fans who are anti - virus thinkers.
    Why would they be there?  Well I guess because if people were taking normal precautions it would be pretty safe.
    Everyone has their take on what we should be doing to try and keep things from spreading, I guess.
    My take is to stay home.  No need to go to another state and have a vacation.  A want?  Of course, like most the plans we made for this year are trashed   For me, traveling is not a need and not a must right now and I think that while there are ways to be pretty safe, the way to be most safe and contribute least to the spread is only to travel if there is a must.

I do understand being stir crazy and wanting to get out and get a change of scenery.  I took 46 trips for work and many for pleasure in addition to that last year.  Not at all used to being cooped up....but this is how I feel riding this out looks best 
    Not saying that is best, just what I feel is best for us.

I've been home almost 4 months and my wife and I did not take this mini vacation decision lightly. We opted to not cancel our reservation  but to change rooms that has a patio of about 140 sq feet and had most of our meals there. It also gave us alot more space that was "ours." When we did go to a restaurant it was breakfast or early lunch. When I went to the beach, I made the effort to put my chair at least 12 feet away. When in the pool with my Daughter, I made the effort to keep us 6 apart from others. And the capital D is a t/h to PJ.

I was sharing observations of the general public. And I tend to be pessimistic about how America is dealing w covid. If NY NJ were in a upward curve, we would have canceled our trip for sure.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,616
    108921754_1582635111918212_6694815694062589596_njpg
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,616
    IMG
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited July 2020
    edited July 2020
    OnWis97 said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Some countries get it....One would assume it is easier to control 4.8 million people compared to 326.7 million people who already can't agree on anything...just slightly though.
    Gotta comb the internet to get mad though
    Comb the internet? 137,000 deaths and counting...

Didn't even need the internet for that one.
    Is there a coronavirus hotline number you could share for US only stats, or does your non internet Canadian news source of choice just choose to pay as much attention to the US as you do?
    Still think you would be in the same covid disaster with Hillary at the helm?

Sure you do, it's American exceptionalism!
    I’ve already stated that it is pointless to play those silly games. Could be better or it could be worse, no different than literally any other scenario you could dream about. It just seems weird that you choose to immerse yourself in all things US, but I understand the need to feel accepted is greater for some. I am glad you have found your home.
    Could be better, could be worse? Guess we shouldn't bother with critical thought, because, ya know, silly.

I have no idea what you're going on about. Accepted? Found my home?

Any objective person can see your president has fucked this up beyond any imaginable measure. A complete and total fraud. I'm just glad the Canadian border in (mostly) closed.
     I commented because common sense would suggest comparing the US and NZ is a major stretch given the population disparity. Pretty simple, and in no way political. You bring up the US death toll and then hillary for some reason, thank you for your critical thinking. Now you are saying about trump what has already been said a million times over like there are people who still haven’t heard this or realize it. More critical thinking or just copy and paste? I have never participated in our political process and prefer not to bitch and moan everyday, but don’t worry I have already been made aware it is my fault trump was elected In the first place so you can save yourself from that line. Back to the virus.
    How about comparing the US to the EU?

https://www.statista.com/chart/22102/daily-covid-19-cases-in-the-us-and-the-eu/

Population of EU: 445 million
    Population of the US: 331 million

Yea, nobody does it better than 'Murica. And anyone, anyone, could have done a better job of reacting to and managing Covid in the US than Team Trump Treason.
    I hate Trump as much as the next person, but at this point, I'm laying the blame at the foot of the American people. At this point, people have decided to play Russian roulette with this virus. So far, if you're white, you've been mostly lucky. This luck will run out when the white teachers go into schools with their black and brown students and bring it into their cozy, clean neighborhoods. Get ready for October, everyone. 
    While I think it's disingenuous to blame Trump for 135,000 out of 135,000 deaths, I do think it would be going a bit better with Hillary.  I don't think she'd be actively trying to wish away all negative news and contradicting actual experts for the sake of her election.  Yeah, she'd have made missteps (as do the experts; it's science, not the bible). Not to mention that even without missteps we weren't going to get through this unscathed.  But the focus from the White House would be on actually trying to mitigate as opposed to dividing us and winning an election.

But I agree that the lion's share of the problem is simply "America."  We're probably the most individual-focused (i.e., least collective-focused) country in the world.  We look out for ourselves in America and we don't generally like to make personal sacrifices for the greater good. And we don't like to be told what to do. This would still be a factor under Hillary.  And she's hated enough that her wearing a mask might have the same outcome as Trump not wearing one (i.e., people not wearing them to own the libs).  So either way, this was probably a perfect disaster for the US to show the world what it is.

Trump gets the blame for the continued upward curve.  The rest of the modern world and several democratic states figured out how to get the infection rate down 95%.

Trumps mixed messaging, lack of dedication to science and intelligence and failure to pay attention to the early spike in italy (which had a lot of direct flights to NYC)that led to the NYC problem is entirely trumps fault. 

Hillary would have acted like a Cuomo or Murphy.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,146
    For where we're at in the process, this is pretty good news on the vaccine front 

https://apnews.com/e4d5259bfc6c74fcb090d885737c55a6?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946
    pjl44 said:
    For where we're at in the process, this is pretty good news on the vaccine front 

https://apnews.com/e4d5259bfc6c74fcb090d885737c55a6?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow
    Yes sir.  Let’s make this happen. Assuming it’s proven safe, my family and I will be at our Dr office the first possible day to help get on with life. No room for excitement yet though. Long way to go...
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    pjl44 said:

It makes me wonder why we can't find a vaccine for the common cold, another Coronavirus variant. Is it because it would kill the over-the-counter pharma industry? We're being duped, one way or the other, and no, I'm not an anti-vaxxer.
    OnWis97 said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    JW269453 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Some countries get it....One would assume it is easier to control 4.8 million people compared to 326.7 million people who already can't agree on anything...just slightly though.
    Gotta comb the internet to get mad though
    Comb the internet? 137,000 deaths and counting...

Didn't even need the internet for that one.
    Is there a coronavirus hotline number you could share for US only stats, or does your non internet Canadian news source of choice just choose to pay as much attention to the US as you do?
    Still think you would be in the same covid disaster with Hillary at the helm?

Sure you do, it's American exceptionalism!
    I’ve already stated that it is pointless to play those silly games. Could be better or it could be worse, no different than literally any other scenario you could dream about. It just seems weird that you choose to immerse yourself in all things US, but I understand the need to feel accepted is greater for some. I am glad you have found your home.
    Could be better, could be worse? Guess we shouldn't bother with critical thought, because, ya know, silly.

I have no idea what you're going on about. Accepted? Found my home?

Any objective person can see your president has fucked this up beyond any imaginable measure. A complete and total fraud. I'm just glad the Canadian border in (mostly) closed.
     I commented because common sense would suggest comparing the US and NZ is a major stretch given the population disparity. Pretty simple, and in no way political. You bring up the US death toll and then hillary for some reason, thank you for your critical thinking. Now you are saying about trump what has already been said a million times over like there are people who still haven’t heard this or realize it. More critical thinking or just copy and paste? I have never participated in our political process and prefer not to bitch and moan everyday, but don’t worry I have already been made aware it is my fault trump was elected In the first place so you can save yourself from that line. Back to the virus.
    How about comparing the US to the EU?

https://www.statista.com/chart/22102/daily-covid-19-cases-in-the-us-and-the-eu/

Population of EU: 445 million
    Population of the US: 331 million

Yea, nobody does it better than 'Murica. And anyone, anyone, could have done a better job of reacting to and managing Covid in the US than Team Trump Treason.
    I hate Trump as much as the next person, but at this point, I'm laying the blame at the foot of the American people. At this point, people have decided to play Russian roulette with this virus. So far, if you're white, you've been mostly lucky. This luck will run out when the white teachers go into schools with their black and brown students and bring it into their cozy, clean neighborhoods. Get ready for October, everyone. 
    While I think it's disingenuous to blame Trump for 135,000 out of 135,000 deaths, I do think it would be going a bit better with Hillary.  I don't think she'd be actively trying to wish away all negative news and contradicting actual experts for the sake of her election.  Yeah, she'd have made missteps (as do the experts; it's science, not the bible). Not to mention that even without missteps we weren't going to get through this unscathed.  But the focus from the White House would be on actually trying to mitigate as opposed to dividing us and winning an election.

But I agree that the lion's share of the problem is simply "America."  We're probably the most individual-focused (i.e., least collective-focused) country in the world.  We look out for ourselves in America and we don't generally like to make personal sacrifices for the greater good. And we don't like to be told what to do. This would still be a factor under Hillary.  And she's hated enough that her wearing a mask might have the same outcome as Trump not wearing one (i.e., people not wearing them to own the libs).  So either way, this was probably a perfect disaster for the US to show the world what it is.

Trump gets the blame for the continued upward curve.  The rest of the modern world and several democratic states figured out how to get the infection rate down 95%.

Trumps mixed messaging, lack of dedication to science and intelligence and failure to pay attention to the early spike in italy (which had a lot of direct flights to NYC)that led to the NYC problem is entirely trumps fault. 

Hillary would have acted like a Cuomo or Murphy.
    Nobody doubts Hilary would have acted differently.  We all doubt the public would have acted differently. Instead of showing up at state houses with automatic rifles, they would have shown up at the White House, en masse.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,146
    pjl44 said:

It makes me wonder why we can't find a vaccine for the common cold, another Coronavirus variant. Is it because it would kill the over-the-counter pharma industry? We're being duped, one way or the other, and no, I'm not an anti-vaxxer.
    There are so many different viral types. That's why you can get multiple colds in a season. Plus, even if you could, the vaccine side effects might be worse than the cold symptoms.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    pjl44 said:

Keep in mind that we don't have any evidence that this proposed vaccine actually works. It might not work any better than previous attempts to make vaccines for coronaviruses. 

However, there is more money and brainpower being thrown at this than at any other coronavirus that's ever come along, so perhaps we have a chance at getting something that works. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Our school district just announced the plan for this school year. For elementary, they go back 5 days a week with slightly shorter days due to PE and a few other classes being removed from the schedule. For families that are uncomfortable sending their kid back, they can enroll for e-learning. Seems like a good approach all things considered. 
    Just watched my school board vote 4-3 to start 100% virtual with a monthly re-evaluation. Shocker! Never thought it would be a possibility.

They finally acknowledged the elephant in the room: my tiny division of only 8000 students in a municipality that covers a 10 square mile radius is ranked #2 in the state of VA for case load.  We have approximately 6000 cases right now with a population of 38,000 people. The superintendent called that "stressful."  Ya think?

We won't go back to school until the disease runs its course through the mostly El Salvadoran community. They are the ones who have it and are spreading it, by and large. It's a tragedy upon tragedy for my students and their families. I'm pretty sure I'm going to cry myself to sleep tonight.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    Just watched my school board vote 4-3 to start 100% virtual with a monthly re-evaluation. Shocker! Never thought it would be a possibility.

They finally acknowledged the elephant in the room: my tiny division of only 8000 students in a municipality that covers a 10 square mile radius is ranked #2 in the state of VA for case load.  We have approximately 6000 cases right now with a population of 38,000 people. The superintendent called that "stressful."  Ya think?

We won't go back to school until the disease runs its course through the mostly El Salvadoran community. They are the ones who have it and are spreading it, by and large. It's a tragedy upon tragedy for my students and their families. I'm pretty sure I'm going to cry myself to sleep tonight.
    Well good news on the late start.  Are you in Fairfax, Prince William?
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    pjl44 said:

I think more than anything the threat of the common cold doesn’t warrant the expense and effort in finding a vaccine. The average medicine cabinet would definitely look different as well and big pharma don’t play that.
    clown GIF
    mrussel1 said:

Well good news on the late start.  Are you in Fairfax, Prince William?
    I'm in Manassas City. We have our own governing body inside of Prince William. Basically, we're the county seat with our own separate city hall. It makes for bizarre local politics.

I started here a year ago after 14 years in Fairfax (Stafford before that). Thank God I left Fairfax when I did. Several best friends are still suffering through it. The administration is authoritarian, the parents are vicious, and the superintendent is an asshole. His standing up to DeVos on CNN does not change that.
    bbiggs said:
    Our school district just announced the plan for this school year. For elementary, they go back 5 days a week with slightly shorter days due to PE and a few other classes being removed from the schedule. For families that are uncomfortable sending their kid back, they can enroll for e-learning. Seems like a good approach all things considered. 
    Who will provide the e-learning? Is the district contracting out, or will they expect teachers to double up -- teach all day in person while also providing all the online instruction? If they are expecting the same teachers to do both, that is not a good option at all. 
    ^ Not the same teachers doing both. 

JW269453 said:
    pjl44 said:

I think more than anything the threat of the common cold doesn’t warrant the expense and effort in finding a vaccine. The average medicine cabinet would definitely look different as well and big pharma don’t play that.
    clown GIF
    I don't really get the meme. Is that me you're smacking down? 

Here's the guy from Merck. He has more credibility than me on this.

10:14 p.m.

Promises of a vaccine in near future do the public a ‘grave disservice,’ says CEO of pharma giant Merck

The promise has come from the Trump administration’s politicos and infectious-disease experts alike: There will be a coronavirus vaccine by the end of the year or by early 2021, a timeline so fast that the White House came up with a name for the project that seemed ripped from a comic book — Operation Warp Speed.

But Ken Frazier, CEO of Merck & Co., one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world, said such vows ignore the country’s troubled history of breakneck vaccine development and can undermine important public health measures.

“When people tell the public that there’s going to be a vaccine by the end of 2020 … they do a grave disservice to the public,” Frazier said in a video interview with Tsedal Neeley, a professor at Harvard Business School. “I think at the end of the day, we don’t want to rush the vaccine before we’ve done rigorous science. We’ve seen in the past, for example, with the swine flu, that that vaccine did more harm than good. We don’t have a great history of introducing vaccines quickly in the middle of a pandemic. We want to keep that in mind.”

Frazier added: “When we do tell people that a vaccine’s coming right away, we allow politicians to actually tell the public not to do the things that the public needs to do like wear the d--- masks. Okay? We were so unprepared for this pandemic. It’s not even funny on so many levels.”

Merck, one of the leading vaccine producers, announced in May that it would develop and manufacture two covid-19 vaccines and an experimental antiviral treatment. The company publicized its plans months after some of its competitors, and Frazier said that when a vaccine is ready, Merck is committed to “broad, equitable, affordable access” to the drug “no matter where you are in the world.”

Anthony S. Fauci, the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has tempered Trump’s “warp speed” pledge slightly, saying in May that a vaccine could be ready in 12 to 18 months. On Tuesday, Fauci said he is “cautiously optimistic” about the state of vaccine development, citing positive early reports from one drug’s trials and other promising candidates.

“I think we’re in a pretty good place when it comes to vaccines,” Fauci said.

By Reis Thebault
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,218
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    Corona control v. Gun control

Nothing can be done.

~GOP
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,038
    Yeah, we’re gonna have a vaccine so quickly you won’t believe it, it will be the greatest and fastest vaccine ever, like the world has never seen. 

Also, we’re going to be open by Easter. 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    So now they’re making hospitals report cases directly to the White house instead of the cdc?

We are so fucked. Most people aren’t going to pay attention to that. They’re just going to see the numbers magically go down...meanwhile people will still be getting sick and dying. 

It’s like we’re living in a. Science fiction horror movie 
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.