Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,356
    nicknyr15 said:
    You wonder if the governor wants death tolls to rise?
    He's being political, as most of the red state governors are doing. He sees it as securing his voting base and sticking with his buddy Trump. It's dumb because you see these mixed messages all the time of what works for one area of the state/country may not work for another so cities and municipalities were taking it upon themselves to mandate masks or take measures (based on CDC and public health recommendations) to reduce risks, but then the Governor steps in and tells them they can't. What a raging jackass. He barely won in 2018 and hopefully this will tank his re-election, but we all know people have short memories so he'll probably be fine in a few years.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    You wonder if the governor wants death tolls to rise?
    Don't worry, once the White House gets their hands on the data it's gonna be just another bad pneumonia season. Like in mother Russia.
    It looks like t he y are already stripping some of the data from cdc.gov
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,671

Anyone who doesn't think America is fucked as a direct result of our federal government's handling of this pandemic is in serious denial.

Great job voting, everyone!

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    PJNB said:
    DewieCox said:
    PJNB said:
    This is great.
    Shows just how fucking dumb and in trouble the USA is.  These guys are pretty funny, though.

Some of the responses are shitty and it’s a funny video but the camera and the vibe of the dudes is going to be instantly off putting to some. Most of the people they confronted were in situations where staying mask free is reasonable. 
    Who is it going to be off putting to exactly? 
    I don’t know that many want a camera shoved in their face to be taken to task as some viral movement.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    PJNB said:
    This is great.
    Shows just how fucking dumb and in trouble the USA is.  These guys are pretty funny, though.

Some of the responses are shitty and it’s a funny video but the camera and the vibe of the dudes is going to be instantly off putting to some. Most of the people they confronted were in situations where staying mask free is reasonable. 
    No excuse to not be wearing a mask when walking a crowded sidewalk on HB.  (Or beach path)

They were asking people of they wanted free masks.  Not sure I call that confrontational. 

It wasn’t crowded. Not all, but nearly everyone they confronted were alone or small groups and several feet from others. 

Not saying the people weren’t asshats. Just don’t think they really “gotcha-ed” anybody the way you guys are saying. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,065
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    PJNB said:
    This is great.

No excuse to not be wearing a mask when walking a crowded sidewalk on HB.  (Or beach path)

They were asking people of they wanted free masks.  Not sure I call that confrontational. 

It wasn’t crowded. Not all, but nearly everyone they confronted were alone or small groups and several feet from others. 

Not saying the people weren’t asshats. Just don’t think they really “gotcha-ed” anybody the way you guys are saying. 
    I did not see this as a gotha-ed video at all. It is all about the way they responded. Whether they should have been wearing a mask at the time is debatable and not the point. What is not debatable is the reactions they got which were sad and pathetic. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,849
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    PJNB said:
    This is great.

If you are good with masks but just not wearing them because of the distance or open air,  wouldn't you say so rather than unleashing profanity or talking about your rights and going to hell?  
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,473
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I know it sounds counterintuitive but this seems like a reasonable position. Everyone should be wearing masks, especially when it isn't possible to distance. But when you think about what is necessary for enforcement - increased interactions with police - we start to find ourselves at a sticky intersection of cultural moments.

Even if it's unenforceable and you don't really try to enforce, to avoid conflict, I bet you would get a lot more people wearing masks. Which would be worth it. To step in and take away that possibility and tool is a dick move.
    This scenario you're laying out sounds like mixed messaging at best and selective enforcement at worst. I'd argue we've seen some of the consequences of trying to dupe the public for noble reasons. I'd much rather try openness right now and the sad reality is, private businesses aside, it's extraordinarily difficult to compel people to wear masks.
  • Options
    Just think it’s a shitty way to approach it. I don’t really want to wear a mask so I avoid situations where they’re necessary as much as possible. If I’m minding my business and avoiding people, I’d find it annoying and I’d likely give an annoyed response and even overstate my dislike. Seemed like pretty mild responses to me. At least they didn’t get physical or pull a gun.

Whoever put out the video knew what they were doing and it’s just fishing for the type of response they got. Equally sad and pathetic to me. Just not a fan of these types of social experiments. 

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    This is great.

Their responses are amazing. I can not imagine getting so angry over a mask. It is too the point right now it is so politicized that there is no going back. Trump finally wearing one and looking 'tough" in a mask or not. 

Agree.  That fat bastard on the bike who threatens to fight them for asking him if he would like a mask?
    Baffling.
    How about if they asked him if he wanted a shirt?  
    People suck.
    Terse yet accurate. 

A-

(only because I’d insert “most”)

;)
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,194
    hedonist said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    This is great.

Their responses are amazing. I can not imagine getting so angry over a mask. It is too the point right now it is so politicized that there is no going back. Trump finally wearing one and looking 'tough" in a mask or not. 

Agree.  That fat bastard on the bike who threatens to fight them for asking him if he would like a mask?
    Baffling.
    How about if they asked him if he wanted a shirt?  
    People suck.
    Terse yet accurate. 

A-

(only because I’d insert “most”)

;)
    APS ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,072
    DewieCox said:
    PJNB said:
    This is great.

I didn’t see that. But I thought of it like when Jay Leno did his J walking sketch. They probably asked 1000 people and took the dumbest 10 to make this video. It probably isn’t an accurate account of what you could expect if you try to hand out free masks. But it was a funny video.
  • Options
    In other news the Administration is trying to take control of all Corona Virus data! Looks like it will magically disappear after all.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,194
    static111 said:
    In other news the Administration is trying to take control of all Corona Virus data! Looks like it will magically disappear after all.
    The Trump admin is going to disappear before the virus. 

In fact, if you want the virus to disappear you better make sure the Trump admin disappears or it may not happen.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,185
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,849
    DewieCox said:
    Just think it’s a shitty way to approach it. I don’t really want to wear a mask so I avoid situations where they’re necessary as much as possible. If I’m minding my business and avoiding people, I’d find it annoying and I’d likely give an annoyed response and even overstate my dislike. Seemed like pretty mild responses to me. At least they didn’t get physical or pull a gun.

Whoever put out the video knew what they were doing and it’s just fishing for the type of response they got. Equally sad and pathetic to me. Just not a fan of these types of social experiments. 

Yes, we're lucky they didn't pull a gun or throw a punch.  Profanity, fingers, telling people to fuck off.. that's mild.  A slightly escalated response would normally include a handgun or a knife.  An over the top reaction might be a shooting spree. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,185
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Pfffft. He’ll be back in two and two.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,305
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,812
    hedonist said:

My first thought recently when I saw that this dickhead was a big Gump fan.  "Two and two"
    :lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,356
    hedonist said:

My first thought recently when I saw that this dickhead was a big Gump fan.  "Two and two"
    :lol:
    Ditto! HAHA!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,014

Anyone who doesn't think America is fucked as a direct result of our federal government's handling of this pandemic is in serious denial.

Great job voting, everyone!

Totally agree, Merk.

I think America is also fucked because too many people are weak, selfish, stupid, and deluded.  Weak because so many people refuse to wear a mask.  Selfish because too many think they are young and won't get the virus and don't care if they pass it to others.  Stupid because too many think wearing a mask is like putting a plastic bag over their head.  Deluded because they think God will protect them from getting COVID-19.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    Guess who else is back? 

Kanye

Apparently wasn’t really out of the race, just not really in it either :weary: 

I am shocked. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Guess who else is back? 

Kanye

I am shocked. 

How did that guy get to be so popular?  I've never understood that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Guess who else is back? 

Kanye

I am shocked. 

College DropOut and Late Registration were amazing albums.  Then he hooked up with the kardashian machine
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    Guess who else is back? 

Kanye

I am shocked. 

College DropOut and Late Registration were amazing albums.  Then he hooked up with the kardashian machine

Now there's a commendation for the makings of a "great" president- a college drop out who pays his registration late.  Sounds about right these days.  :lol:

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,222
    PJNB said:
    Funny video. But why oh why do so many people confuse carbon dioxide with carbon monoxide? Why do they think we breathe out carbon monoxide? I have seen people say this more than once. This is elementary school science. Drives me crazy when I hear this.

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,473
    I need more details but if you're gonna close schools doing this seems patently insane on the surface 

This discussion has been closed.