Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,946
    Smellyman said:

Crazy!  He doesn't wear a mask, pulls gun on store keep, ends up in jail where the COVID risk is even greater.  That's just plain crazy!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,982
    Smellyman said:
    Just another “responsible” gun owner being “responsible.”
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    He's trolling.  

Just ignore.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,410
    brianlux said:
    Wait a minute... WHAT???

Reporter On Catholic Church Getting Over $1 Billion In Coronavirus Aid

"...today we are learning, courtesy of The Associated Press, that the U.S. Roman Catholic Church managed to secure billions of dollars in loans from that rescue package through the Paycheck Protection Program. Reporter Michael Rezendes has been reporting on the Catholic Church for a long time. He is one of the reporters who has been crunching these numbers and trying to track where that money is going."

"... we were able to identify between $1.4 billion and as much as $3.5 billion."

An interesting aspect of that interview is, at the end, the reporter acknowledging that all religious organizations were eligible for PPP loans but, even though the data is available, he chose only to highlight the Catholic church.

I'm not Catholic and have an issue with the religious exemption he references, but the framing is pretty lame.
  • Options
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    Its to bad that so many follow the shiny object.
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/CCZD4UnnNSp/
    Really you don’t believe that there’s an out of control virus killing hundreds every day? Damn 
    Did you know that tuberculosis is a pandemic every year? 1.5 million dead/year.
    https://www.tballiance.org/why-new-tb-drugs/global-pandemic
    Scroll down and read a little from the CDC.
    Nobody wore masks until covid19.
    Now out of respect I wear a mask at the grocery store, hardware store whatever getting a haircut.  Or in a place where there's a condensed group of people.
    But Dr. Anthony Fauci said this back in March.
    https://youtu.be/PRa6t_e7dgI
    There is a happy medium between overhyping and downplaying this stuff.
    I had to go back a few pages to find the original TB reference to respond to the post. I caught TB while I was a senior in college. I found out when I went to the public health department for an antibody skin test, which I had to have before I could get a job as a substitute teacher.

You know what happened? Within ONE DAY of my testing positive, a contact tracer arrived at my house at dinner time, asked me to provide the names and phone numbers of every person I had been in close contact with for the past six months, requested every member of my close circle to also be tested (they all complied). Then for six months while I was in treatment, I had to submit a spit sample on a regular basis to my doctor, so he could report to the health department that I was not a contagious threat to the public. Almost 30 years later, I STILL have to submit a negative chest X-ray anytime I accept employment in a different school division, which I had to do again last summer. That's what we do with TB, a disease that's hardly a threat here in America, then or now -- because we fight to keep case numbers at an insignificant low.

Now let's jump to CoVid.  I'm pretty sure that my locality is doing next to nothing with contact tracing with CoVid, though the CDC declared my zip code a hot spot on June 20 with a significant portion of the cases made up of Latinx people. About 20-25% (!!!!!) of the people tested in my locality's three zip codes are positive. The news report indicated the CDC would be going door to door trying to find cases and to assess local needs. And yet, I haven't seen anybody in my neighborhood, haven't received any phone calls, haven't received any mail from public officials, and it's been almost a month since this CDC announcement was made. I only found the announcement yesterday because I Googled "hot spot" with my city name, just trying to get a feel for things around here because the silence from my local officials on case numbers has been disconcerting. 

If we were doing with CoVid what we do with TB, we would all be so very blessed right now.
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    Really you don’t believe that there’s an out of control virus killing hundreds every day? Damn 
    Now out of respect I wear a mask at the grocery store, hardware store whatever getting a haircut.  Or in a place where there's a condensed group of people.
    I had to go back a few pages to find the original TB reference to respond to the post. I caught TB while I was a senior in college. I found out when I went to the public health department for an antibody skin test, which I had to have before I could get a job as a substitute teacher.

You know what happened? Within ONE DAY of my testing positive, a contact tracer arrived at my house at dinner time, asked me to provide the names and phone numbers of every person I had been in close contact with for the past six months, requested every member of my close circle to also be tested (they all complied). Then for six months while I was in treatment, I had to submit a spit sample on a regular basis to my doctor, so he could report to the health department that I was not a contagious threat to the public. Almost 30 years later, I STILL have to submit a negative chest X-ray anytime I accept employment in a different school division, which I had to do again last summer. That's what we do with TB, a disease that's hardly a threat here in America, then or now -- because we fight to keep case numbers at an insignificant low.

Now let's jump to CoVid.  I'm pretty sure that my locality is doing next to nothing with contact tracing with CoVid, though the CDC declared my zip code a hot spot on June 20 with a significant portion of the cases made up of Latinx people. About 20-25% (!!!!!) of the people tested in my locality's three zip codes are positive. The news report indicated the CDC would be going door to door trying to find cases and to assess local needs. And yet, I haven't seen anybody in my neighborhood, haven't received any phone calls, haven't received any mail from public officials, and it's been almost a month since this CDC announcement was made. I only found the announcement yesterday because I Googled "hot spot" with my city name, just trying to get a feel for things around here because the silence from my local officials on case numbers has been disconcerting. 

If we were doing with CoVid what we do with TB, we would all be so very blessed right now.
    Thanks for sharing what dreams.
     Sorry about the trouble you've been through.
    Society has never shut down for anything (sports, concerts, bars, beaches, restaurants or anything else before this.  Im no expert, I'm a truck driver.  Why now?
    Because this virus is highly contagious, pretty deadly, and there is currently no vaccine or silver bullet treatment.

Consider that even with these highly oppressive lockdowns, we've still seen 3.3 million cases and 137,000 deaths here in the U.S. 

In my lifetime I've never seen anything spread like this. SARS...H1N1...not even close.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,457
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1282299993194463237?s=21
    This virus is here to stay and this administration is going to just let it play out! I guess the deaths will just keep happening, before we know it flu season will be here. 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,227

AC that does not bring outside air seems to be a major factor with why covid his specifically targeting CA TX AZ FL.

Starting to think this is a much bigger factor than masks and six feet.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

AC that does not bring outside air seems to be a major factor with why covid his specifically targeting CA TX AZ FL.

For sure. Check out this study and especially the diagram. They followed how diners who were specifically downwind wound up getting infected.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764_article
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Keep on trucking, Ryme. Good luck. 
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

RYME said:
    RYME said:

Thanks for sharing what dreams.
     Sorry about the trouble you've been through.
    Society has never shut down for anything (sports, concerts, bars, beaches, restaurants or anything else before this.  Im no expert, I'm a truck driver.  Why now?
    No reason man!! It’s all a hoax and a conspiracy to take down the best president who has ever presidented. Join a revolution so crazy that only billionaires and the party  that supports them were smart enough to reveal it. 
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,652
    & for the love of God, turn off talk f’ing radio.

Its only goal is to keep you listening. 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,933

I’m not dismissing your point, but just about  the entire country has been in a heat wave. Pretty sure AC is cranking elsewhere. Lot of contributing factors to the spread. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Why are we still debating mask?  Yes, at first I did not like them...but you get used to them and it’s a minor inconvenience to keep people safe.

perhaps this mask or no mask debate should end...and maybe anyone still wanting to debate the benefits of no mask should be given a temporary ban...because those people are just being ignorant.

masks are our only solution at the moment, but it is a simple solution...so you’d think the simpletons in those states with sky rocketing cases would wear masks.

And for fucks sakes quit listening to anyone in the Trump camp...what a bunch of fucking idiots.

#LAWANDORDER.  LOL.  

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,143
    Why are we still debating mask?  Yes, at first I did not like them...but you get used to them and it’s a minor inconvenience to keep people safe.

perhaps this mask or no mask debate should end...and maybe anyone still wanting to debate the benefits of no mask should be given a temporary ban...because those people are just being ignorant.

masks are our only solution at the moment, but it is a simple solution...so you’d think the simpletons in those states with sky rocketing cases would wear masks.

And for fucks sakes quit listening to anyone in the Trump camp...what a bunch of fucking idiots.

#LAWANDORDER.  LOL.  

Agreed but it's the tRump crowd that is resisting masks
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1282299993194463237?s=21
    This virus is here to stay and this administration is going to just let it play out! I guess the deaths will just keep happening, before we know it flu season will be here. 
    They dont care because the virus is killing mostly people of color, latinx, and people in the lower income categories.

They'll only start to care when it starts to affect white people of means who would vote republican. 
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,287
    Back to work tomorrow. Not excited at all.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,946
    Back to work tomorrow. Not excited at all.

I hope your fellow employees practice safe measure.  Hope you stay well!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    I have no words:
    The Florida Department of Health reported 15,299 new Covid-19 cases Sunday, the highest number of new cases reported in a single day by any state since the coronavirus pandemic began.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,457
    mcgruff10 said:
    I have no words:
    The Florida Department of Health reported 15,299 new Covid-19 cases Sunday, the highest number of new cases reported in a single day by any state since the coronavirus pandemic began.
    Yeah it’s out of control at this point I’m done socializing I go to work I come home , go for walks in the woods or my local beach if it’s high tide even better. I feel safer when I’m at hospital working..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,811
    mcgruff10 said:
    I have no words:
    Florida has more cases than Italy
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,375
    mcgruff10 said:
    I have no words:
    The highest by close to 4,000 over 2nd place.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304

Immunity to Covid-19 could be lost in months, UK study suggests

In the first longitudinal study of its kind, scientists analysed the immune response of more than 90 patients and healthcare workers at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS foundation trust and found levels of antibodies that can destroy the virus peaked about three weeks after the onset of symptoms then swiftly declined.

Blood tests revealed that while 60% of people marshalled a “potent” antibody response at the height of their battle with the virus, only 17% retained the same potency three months later. Antibody levels fell as much as 23-fold over the period. In some cases, they became undetectable.

“People are producing a reasonable antibody response to the virus, but it’s waning over a short period of time and depending on how high your peak is, that determines how long the antibodies are staying around,” said Dr Katie Doores, lead author on the study at King’s College London.

The study has implications for the development of a vaccine, and for the pursuit of “herd immunity” in the community over time.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/12/immunity-to-covid-19-could-be-lost-in-months-uk-study-suggests
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,548
    edited July 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    I have no words:
    Real bad in Florida when its the worse so far and knew that it had the potential to be. 

https://youtu.be/Qm6yjTrGkLc
    Post edited by cutz on
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,982
    cutz said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I have no words:
    Real bad in Florida when its the worse so far and knew that it had the potential to be. 

What’s the impeachment process in Florida?

These fucking red State gubnors could have taken the lead by paying attention to what happened in NY and NJ, taken the necessary precautions and totally avoided the situation they’re in now. But they listened to Team Trump Treason instead. This will make a great campaign add when it’s time. Good fucking luck with “leadership” like that.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited July 2020
    & for the love of God, turn off talk f’ing radio.

Its only goal is to keep you listening. 
    The goal of any form of media radio/tv is to keep you listening good or bad.
    At least you can't call me a Fox News & Friends junkie.  I don't watch FoxNews.  I don't watch any form of televised news.
    Befoure you regurgitate anti news/talk radio talking points because your peers say the same thing, you should listen to it for more than 5 minutes.  There are good stations and bad stations,  good hosts and lousy hosts, you've just got to search around with it and find your favorites and the ones you dismiss. 
    I drive a semi truck long hours 14 hour days, so I've got to listen to something other than music.   I don't watch news on TV when I get home.
    *Thought not just talk*  Some I like, and some I don't.  I like the program hosts that do real research and investigative reporting.
    Criticize who needs to be criticized regardless of political party.
    Real journalists obtain at least 3 different reputable sources on a subject or issue befour running with a story to protect credability.   I am not a journalist I am a truck driver,  but getting 3 reputable sources before running with a story is journalism 101.
    Some people here scawf at some of the people I post, but the ones I do post do a hell of a lot of research before running with a story.
    For instance this Dan O'Donnell guy from Milwaukee Newstalk 1130 WISN.  (Ok smelly let me have it. One word and a boomerang video)
    Dan O'Donnell does a hell of a lot of research before doing his daily program, he is a conservative . But he also verbally punches Trump square in the mouth after one of his lousy tweets.  Dan O'Donnell said last week,
    "If Trump wins this next election it will be in spite of himself." 
    So Dan O'Donnell is a fair minded conservative talk showhost on a radio station I like.
    He has a series called The Forgotten History

The forgotten history of Mount Rushmore was his latest pice.
    https://newstalk1130.iheart.com/featured/common-sense-central/content/2020-07-07-mr-rushmores-mountain/
    I'm just trying to show you that what I listen to isn't all garbage.  Don't get me wrong there is garbage out there.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,013
    cutz said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I have no words:

This video is from May 20th. I would love a reporter to play it back to him and ask for a comment. 
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    cutz said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I have no words:

This video is from May 20th. I would love a reporter to play it back to him and ask for a comment. 
    You still have to weigh cases/day vs. deaths/day befour you go nuts.  (Sorry if the cursor got stuck in the above comment still can't figure that out.)
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,811
    Sigh...
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    mrussel1 said:
    Sigh...
    What is it like in Virginia? The only news I have read from you guys is monuments coming down. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
This discussion has been closed.