The coronavirus

Comments

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    edited March 2020
    nicknyr15 said:
    no Mention of China in Ed’s letter? Why? They are global bullies. And they caused this. The world needs to stand up to them. 
    What he references in the letter (reposted below) is pretty specific. He's frustrated that there isn't more direction on the exact sorts of things needed to make a decision on whether it's safe to tour. So they're playing it cautiously. I read it as there could have been a scenario where, with stronger direction or better assurances that this was being handled, the tour could have gone on. Honestly, I think his words are really tempered - not only does he not mention Trump specifically, he references the government versus this administration. It sounds like you and I would agree on a lot about China's culpability in this mess, but those things don't really factor into a domestic tour decision.

It certainly hasn’t helped that there’s been no clear messages from our government regarding people’s safety and our ability to go to work. Having no examples of our national health department’s ability to get ahead of this, we have no reason to believe that it will be under control in the coming weeks ahead. 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,286
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    no Mention of China in Ed’s letter? Why? They are global bullies. And they caused this. The world needs to stand up to them. 
    Are they touring China? Must have missed that announcement.
    Are they touring anywhere? And why not? And where did it start? And why can’t we say anything about that? 
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Yeah no reason for any of that in the letter.

I do agree with the sentiment that the world should have discussions with China regarding this.  And businesses should take this into consideration for future as well.  There is a cost to that low cost labor and propping up that government. 
    Yes. No reason for that in the letter. I’m just bringing up a point that no one stands up to China and it’s getting bad. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,062
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    What he references in the letter (reposted below) is pretty specific. He's frustrated that there isn't more direction on the exact sorts of things needed to make a decision on whether it's safe to tour. So they're playing it cautiously. I read it as there could have been a scenario where, with stronger direction or better assurances that this was being handled, the tour could have gone on. Honestly, I think his words are really tempered - not only does he not mention Trump specifically, he references the government versus this administration. It sounds like you and I would agree on a lot about China's culpability in this mess, but those things don't really factor into a domestic tour decision.

It certainly hasn’t helped that there’s been no clear messages from our government regarding people’s safety and our ability to go to work. Having no examples of our national health department’s ability to get ahead of this, we have no reason to believe that it will be under control in the coming weeks ahead. 
    @nicknyr15

Read and get up to speed. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I agree 100%. I didn’t mean it literally. All I’m saying is it’s a lot easier to blame everyone and everything, except China. How are we supposed to progress when one of the largest nations seem to not give a shit? 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,316
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I do agree with the sentiment that the world should have discussions with China regarding this.  And businesses should take this into consideration for future as well.  There is a cost to that low cost labor and propping up that government. 
    Yes. No reason for that in the letter. I’m just bringing up a point that no one stands up to China and it’s getting bad. 
    Yes, they created a pandemic that has taken lives and cost people a lot of $$$$$$$$...... once things settle down in the containment/management of the issue, it would be extremely irresponsible to ignore what happened and continue to let china get away with this type of nonsense.  

It would be the equivalent of someone hitting your car, killing your passenger but once you are ok medically and your car is back to 100% (all by you paying for it) that you just forget about the negligent driver that caused the accident and there are no penalties.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    nicknyr15 said:

. How are we supposed to progress when one of the largest nations seem to not give a shit? 
    Don't throw stones in glass houses.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I agree 100%. I didn’t mean it literally. All I’m saying is it’s a lot easier to blame everyone and everything, except China. How are we supposed to progress when one of the largest nations seem to not give a shit? 

The US gov? 

now I am confused
    nicknyr15 said:

. How are we supposed to progress when one of the largest nations seem to not give a shit? 
    Don't throw stones in glass houses.
    Don’t compare the US to China. We still allow Winnie the Pooh to exist. Ok mr perfect?
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Yes, they created a pandemic that has taken lives and cost people a lot of $$$$$$$$...... once things settle down in the containment/management of the issue, it would be extremely irresponsible to ignore what happened and continue to let china get away with this type of nonsense.  

It would be the equivalent of someone hitting your car, killing your passenger but once you are ok medically and your car is back to 100% (all by you paying for it) that you just forget about the negligent driver that caused the accident and there are no penalties.  
    Thank you. Wow. Maybe I’m not that great at getting my point across but at least one person gets it 
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I brought this up in one of these threads, but no one seems to give a shit about their Uyghur slave camps or rampant IP theft either. This is just one piece of a large problem that an awful lot of people are ignoring. Given that this letter was about postponing a domestic tour, I wouldn't expect Ed to use that platform to take a swipe at China. Pearl Jam doesn't really have any business there. At least nothing compared to Nike, Apple, the NBA, etc.
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I brought this up in one of these threads, but no one seems to give a shit about their Uyghur slave camps or rampant IP theft either. This is just one piece of a large problem that an awful lot of people are ignoring. Given that this letter was about postponing a domestic tour, I wouldn't expect Ed to use that platform to take a swipe at China. Pearl Jam doesn't really have any business there. At least nothing compared to Nike, Apple, the NBA, etc.
    I agree. I was speaking figuratively about the letter. It’s odd that no one gives a shit about what goes on there. Maybe if Trump loses, then some people can move their obsession to this subject. 
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    edited March 2020
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Then you are free to bring that up. Don't bring Eds letter into it because it's not relevant. It hurts the point you're trying to make.

Ed and the band have no pull in China. Maybe you should direct your frustrations at the current administration who actually has influence on China. That would be a start.
    Post edited by dignin on
    edited March 2020
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I brought this up in one of these threads, but no one seems to give a shit about their Uyghur slave camps or rampant IP theft either. This is just one piece of a large problem that an awful lot of people are ignoring. 
    Well, join the fight:

Sweden’s lonely boxing match with Beijing

Västerås is a microcosm of what is happening across Sweden, where officials and business leaders are waking up to the reality of dealing with the Chinese one-party state, after years spent looking for ways to tighten trade and diplomatic ties with Beijing.

The deteriorating human rights situation in China — which has come under fire for its incarceration of its Muslim population in Xinjiang province — and Beijing’s increasingly muscular military and diplomatic stance abroad has caused some European governments, like Sweden, to rethink their willingness to engage.

But as Stockholm found out when a Swedish NGO awarded a prize to a Chinese dissident, pushing back against Beijing means putting yourself in the line of fire of a nation with a growing arsenal of diplomatic weapons — very often, alone.
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Then you are free to bring that up. Don't bring Eds letter into it because it's not relevant. It hurts the point you're trying to make.

Ed and the band have no pull in China. Maybe you should direct your frustrations at the current administration who actually have influence on China. That would be a start.
    Yes. I will. So sorry. Will never bring Ed’s name up again. What actually hurts my point is that you stopped reading after “Ed’s letter”. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,490
    I know a lot of y'all hate on Joe Rogan, but he had a guy on that apparently is getting a lot of attention re: COVID

http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/michael-osterholm
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

I know a lot of y'all hate on Joe Rogan, but he had a guy on that apparently is getting a lot of attention re: COVID

http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/michael-osterholm
    A lot of people hate on everything here. Thanks, I’ll give it a listen. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I agree. I was speaking figuratively about the letter. It’s odd that no one gives a shit about what goes on there. Maybe if Trump loses, then some people can move their obsession to this subject. 
    BELIEVE ME when I say I share your frustrations. We're talking about the largest country with the largest military in the world. They are our #2 trade partner, #1 if you look just at imports. I've been pretty aggravated that this topic was barely a blip during the Democratic debates. I understand it's a difficult problem without an easy answer, but I'd like to hear the thoughts on how to handle it from someone seeking to be our President. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I agree. The new green deal means nothing when we outsource almost all of our products to a country that doesn't care. Raising minimum wage isn't as effective when we rely on a country that uses child labor. Not having a green deal and keeping more business here would actually be far better for the environment. Tighter restrictions without involving China just means more business to China and in the end worse for the environment. So any politician that fights for a green deal and doesn't stand up to China is just playing politics, they aren't in it for the environment.
    But a tour announcement isn't really the place to start all that.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Ed and the band have no pull in China. Maybe you should direct your frustrations at the current administration who actually have influence on China. That would be a start.
    Yes. I will. So sorry. Will never bring Ed’s name up again. What actually hurts my point is that you stopped reading after “Ed’s letter”. 
    That's obviously what's happening. I read your not well thought out point.

It's clear as day what your upset about, and my guess is you didn't give a shit about what was going on in China until you wanted to take a shot at the band because they criticized your dear leader.

Maybe I'm wrong and you started a thread here a long time ago about all your concerns with China. If so I apologize.
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

That's obviously what's happening. I read your not well thought out point.

It's clear as day what your upset about, and my guess is you didn't give a shit about what was going on in China until you wanted to take a shot at the band because they criticized your dear leader.

Maybe I'm wrong and you started a thread here a long time ago about all your concerns with China. If so I apologize.
    You are dead wrong. I’ve been outraged about China for a long time. It’s quite a paranoid mindset to think like that. I didn’t even take it as a dig on the president. It is what it is. I’ve watched Bloomberg fumble on snowstorms here in NY, so I’m not surprised we’re having trouble on a state and federal level handling this. I don’t have much faith in government and people in times of crisis. 
    edited March 2020
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,201
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Ask the Iraqis. They’ll fill you in.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Ask the Iraqis. They’ll fill you in.
    Ok 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,543
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,201
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

No mention of tRUmp in Ed's letter? Why?  He is a global bully.  He caused this.  The world needs to stand up to him.

Trump says he supports UK leaving EU without a Brexit deal
    Trump says he will withdraw from NAFTA
    Trump withdrawing from the Trans-Pacific Partnership
    Trump threatens to withdraw from World Trade Organization
    Obsessed. You take my post as defending trump. All I’m saying is it seems easy to blame him and even easier to leave China out because of the stranglehold they have on the world. Man there are some loonies out here. I can’t imagine being that obsessed with a president. You make the birth certificate wackos seem normal. 
    You clearly haven’t been paying attention.
    Unfortunately I have. 
    Then you would have read the WHO Report I linked to yesterday and had many of your questions and concerns perhaps addressed. But I don’t think you did. It’s only 40 pages, summarized quite nicely and easy to read for a “technical” report. No pictures though.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    edited March 2020
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

No mention of tRUmp in Ed's letter? Why?  He is a global bully.  He caused this.  The world needs to stand up to him.

Trump says he supports UK leaving EU without a Brexit deal
    Trump says he will withdraw from NAFTA
    Trump withdrawing from the Trans-Pacific Partnership
    Trump threatens to withdraw from World Trade Organization
    Obsessed. You take my post as defending trump. All I’m saying is it seems easy to blame him and even easier to leave China out because of the stranglehold they have on the world. Man there are some loonies out here. I can’t imagine being that obsessed with a president. You make the birth certificate wackos seem normal. 
    You clearly haven’t been paying attention.
    Unfortunately I have. 
    Then you would have read the WHO Report I linked to yesterday and had many of your questions and concerns perhaps addressed. But I don’t think you did. It’s only 40 pages, summarized quite nicely and easy to read for a “technical” report. No pictures though.
    You are a terrible human. That’s what I’ve gathered from stopping in AMT. Condescending and incredibly rude. Do you talk down to everyone ? Is that your thing? Let’s see if you can respond without mentioning your obsession, trump. 
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
    edited March 2020
    mace1229 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I agree. The new green deal means nothing when we outsource almost all of our products to a country that doesn't care. Raising minimum wage isn't as effective when we rely on a country that uses child labor. Not having a green deal and keeping more business here would actually be far better for the environment. Tighter restrictions without involving China just means more business to China and in the end worse for the environment. So any politician that fights for a green deal and doesn't stand up to China is just playing politics, they aren't in it for the environment.
    So where does this end -- should a country trade with a country that is not in the Paris Agreement? I mean, would that country be in it for the environment?
    You know, it's possible to address a guy's questions (even if you disagree with the premise) without beating the shit out of him.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    mace1229 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I agree. The new green deal means nothing when we outsource almost all of our products to a country that doesn't care. Raising minimum wage isn't as effective when we rely on a country that uses child labor. Not having a green deal and keeping more business here would actually be far better for the environment. Tighter restrictions without involving China just means more business to China and in the end worse for the environment. So any politician that fights for a green deal and doesn't stand up to China is just playing politics, they aren't in it for the environment.
    So where does this end -- should a country trade with a country that is not in the Paris Agreement? I mean, would that country be in it for the environment?
    I don't know where it ends, but it starts with the Trans Pacific Partnership that sets labor standards to ensure our companies can't go to companies that utilize slave wages.  Still one of my bitter moments of 2016.  Sanders and Trump were both against the deal, foolishly.  
This discussion has been closed.