edited March 2020
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I was at the doctor's last week for a sinus infection and a nurse taking my vitals swears that he heard from another big wig government doctor that this virus was a man made weapon and somehow leaked out of the lab.  The reason that it isn't killing children is because it was meant to take out the adult population.  
    was this doctor actually Dean Koontz?
    Dr. Randall Flagg
    Disease... disease...spreading the disease.. with some help from Captain Tripps, bring the world down to its knees...

Nice Stand reference..
    Believe it or not, King actually responded to comparisons to The Stand...

It's really one of the great American novels of the 20th century.  I think it's a fantastic book.  

I love King and I haven't read that one, really need to.
    It's his best book, except maybe Different Seasons IMO.  
    Please read the Dark Tower series.  It is so much better than the disaster of a movie
    I read the first handful back in the mid 90's.  I can't recall where I left off.  I liked them, didn't love them.  I really liked the classics.. Pet Sematary, Cujo, Salem's Lot, IT, etc.  I also really, really liked 11-22-63.  That book was awesome.. highly recommended if you like history.  

*edit - oh yeah Dead Zone... great book. 
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,402
    hehe - it's pretty cool if you have the night of your life and call it "OK" - hehe

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I was at the doctor's last week for a sinus infection and a nurse taking my vitals swears that he heard from another big wig government doctor that this virus was a man made weapon and somehow leaked out of the lab.  The reason that it isn't killing children is because it was meant to take out the adult population.  
    Dr. Randall Flagg
    Disease... disease...spreading the disease.. with some help from Captain Tripps, bring the world down to its knees...

Nice Stand reference..

It's really one of the great American novels of the 20th century.  I think it's a fantastic book.  

Please read the Dark Tower series.  It is so much better than the disaster of a movie
    I read the first handful back in the mid 90's.  I can't recall where I left off.  I liked them, didn't love them.  I really liked the classics.. Pet Sematary, Cujo, Salem's Lot, IT, etc.  I also really, really liked 11-22-63.  That book was awesome.. highly recommended if you like history.  

I would just start over and crush them.  The first book is stylistic and incongruous, and none of them are perfect, but it's pretty awesome as a whole unit.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Dr. Randall Flagg

Nice Stand reference..

I picked up different seasons wanting to read the "book" for Shawshak, having no idea that "the Body" was Stand By Me.  The latter caused me to like the movie a bit less because the book (novella) was so terrific.  

But I gotta tell you, Apt Pupil is one of the most disturbing things I have ever read, heard, seen, etc.  That is not for everyone...
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Dr. Randall Flagg

Nice Stand reference..

I picked up different seasons wanting to read the "book" for Shawshak, having no idea that "the Body" was Stand By Me.  The latter caused me to like the movie a bit less because the book (novella) was so terrific.  

But I gotta tell you, Apt Pupil is one of the most disturbing things I have ever read, heard, seen, etc.  That is not for everyone...
    Different Seasons is so great.  Love Apt Pupil.. .loved it.  It was friggin' disturbing and genius.  Anthrax also wrote a song about that on Among the Living as well called Skeleton in the Closet.  I'm not sure if I was into Anthrax first or Stephen King, but one led to the other.  

And @rgambs I think I will give them a go again.  I'm looking for some new material anyway.  
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Dr. Randall Flagg

Nice Stand reference..

I would just start over and crush them.  The first book is stylistic and incongruous, and none of them are perfect, but it's pretty awesome as a whole unit.

Agreed it is definitely more about the entire work as a whole.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Dr. Randall Flagg

Nice Stand reference..

Pet Semetary (book, obviously) is pretty disturbing too...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,062
    rgambs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Dr. Randall Flagg

Nice Stand reference..

The second movie is great. Better than the first.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    rgambs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Dr. Randall Flagg

Nice Stand reference..

First time I dropped acid I was 16.  We decided to dose and go see Pet Semetary in the theater.  That was not a good decision.  
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,386
    I ve never read one Stephen king book.  Is the stand a good place to start?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    No, it's a big read.  I'd start with Different Seasons.  It's four novellas that are classics, and you'll be familiar with two of the stories from the movies (Stand by Me and Shawnshank).  After that, the Stand.  And dont' worry that you know those two movies in and out.. you'll love every moment.  And since you're a history guy, Apt Pupil will freak you the fuck out.  
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mcgruff10 said:
    That is where I started and it is still one of my favorites.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Dr. Randall Flagg

Nice Stand reference..

First time I dropped acid I was 16.  We decided to dose and go see Pet Semetary in the theater.  That was not a good decision.  

First time I did mushrooms, we went to a movie.  Don't remember which one, doesn't matter. 

While we were in the movie, this happened 2 blocks away : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Bourbonnais,_Illinois,_train_crash
    Both of the train's locomotives and eleven of the train's fourteen passenger cars derailed; the derailed cars struck freight cars on an adjacent siding. Thirteen people aboard the train were killed and another 121 were transported to nearby hospitals with serious injuries. 

We walked out of the theater to the sound of EMS sirens coming from every nearby city/county that could provide support.  Literally hundreds of EMS vehicles converging on our location from every possible direction.  Terrifying. 
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Scruffy struggles with chapter books
    Going back a page... omg... I know who Gene Simmons is and I googled love gun and it's by KISS! I love it. I'm a kiss fan... now about that Kiss cruise lol... ok back to Coronavirus.

I'm sorry you're scared, Mr. SC. I'm glad your are minimizing your contact. We've been watching this blow up from day one. I feel that if I had a better timeline graph, I could understand it and have less fear. I suppose I'll have to check out that earlier subscription/link. 

I've probably spent 50 hours on hold over the last couple of weeks to check out alternatives to next weeks cruise and maybe I can get my airline on board with an exception...

Time to go get the pipsqueak! Later PJ people. 
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Scruffy struggles with chapter books
    Hey I read a captain underpants book to my six year old yesterday!
    shawshank is one of my all time favorite movies.  I had zero clue it was a king book. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,516
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    No, it's a big read.  I'd start with Different Seasons.  It's four novellas that are classics, and you'll be familiar with two of the stories from the movies (Stand by Me and Shawnshank).  After that, the Stand.  And dont' worry that you know those two movies in and out.. you'll love every moment.  And since you're a history guy, Apt Pupil will freak you the fuck out.  

Always fun visiting Ogunquit. 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,201
    "An all of America approach......" Yea, they're free. Because there's not enough to go around. Spend, spend, spend people.

President Trump secures no-cost virus testing for Americans

The Trump Administration is leading an “all-of-America” approach, as Vice President Mike Pence calls it, to protect Americans during the global Coronavirus outbreak.

“Last week, at this table, the President met with pharmaceutical leaders, we met with nursing home leaders, leaders of commercial labs, airline industries,” Vice President Pence said. “We’re bringing all of the businesses of the country to bear to protect the health of the American people.”

Earlier today, President Trump and the Vice President met with executives from America’s largest health insurance companies, where they announced a major deal.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177

OMG!!!! OMG!!!! The Donald must be a socialist!!!! 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    jeffbr said:

OMG!!!! OMG!!!! The Donald must be a socialist!!!! 
    bahaha....  but it's okay, because he got the approval from the Health Insurance Lobby
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Dr. Randall Flagg

Nice Stand reference..

Apt Pupil, YES. Also loved The Bachman Books. 
    Social Distancing?

hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Dr. Randall Flagg

Nice Stand reference..

Me too. Starting with  Running Man (mcgruff... also a good movie)
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Dr. Randall Flagg

Nice Stand reference..

Me too. Starting with  Running Man (mcgruff... also a good movie)
    "The Long Walk" is riveting ...

Thanks for the reading tips. I gave up my King run as a young teen halfway through the Stand. But I'll check out Art and River's old movie/book. Shawshank was always special for me as that's maybe the only movie I ever watched with my dad, after he got out one time, so I'm gonna not read that one.
    It was inevitable: meeting tomorrow on “distance learning”.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,062
    S O C I A L I S M

Social Minister Lena Hallengren said at her press conference that the government is ready to impose meeting restrictions - but that requires a request from the Public Health Authority.
    To TV4 News, the authority's director general Johan Carlsson says they want to impose meeting restrictions as soon as possible. It can involve meetings of 500 people - or less.
    - We are looking at the opportunities that exist, both the legal opportunities and the special conditions that exist in different parts of the country to find a solution and the ambition is that the government decides on this as soon as possible, he says.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I made my second attempt at the gunslinger a few months back (25 years or so later) ... I'm like 90% thru still waiting for the story to hook me but it hasn't ... I was hoping it would be like the 1st season of The Wire where you slug through an average appearing cop show and all of a sudden you are binge watching season three at 1 am on a Sunday ... but I don't really like any of the characters in the story so far
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    mcgruff10 said:
    I think we'll be okay up here in MN. a lot of the kids are set up for distance learning due to snow days.

The company I work for also sent out an email today reminding everyone to make sure they are set up to work remotely. Fortunately I already work remote and self quarantined.
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I think we'll be okay up here in MN. a lot of the kids are set up for distance learning due to snow days.

The company I work for also sent out an email today reminding everyone to make sure they are set up to work remotely. Fortunately I already work remote and self quarantined.
    Do your kids have one on one computing?  I think every kid grades 3-8 in our district has one.  The tough part right now is how to teach k-2.   Maybe just huge packets of dittos? Not sure.  Will find out more tomorrow.  I m guessing they are going to tell us to get two weeks of plans together.  
This discussion has been closed.