The coronavirus

Comments

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    My two cents on why I think the band had to make this decision:

- The situation is still pretty hazy and no one wants to be a headline. Here in MA, it's a conference Biogen hosted. Every day a new story. "5 more Biogen conference attendees test positive!" Ultra, SXSW, Coachella all canceled. You don't want that headline to read "Pearl Jam concert." Time may very well prove this to be overkill, but there is a ton of downside right now.

- Do you trust this fanbase? If someone was recommended to quarantine and they had GA tickets to 3 shows, how many Ten Clubbers would do the right thing? We all shook our heads at the guy who went to the father/daughter dance, but you're trying to tell me a significant portion of fans wouldn't do the exact same thing? Except they'd also be jumping on planes and trains. We all read the threads during tour announcements and ticket draws. You have to take that decision out of their hands.
    The decision was inevitable.  The band would have to be tone deaf to the entire world community to keep the tour going.  They would be making a decision to believe Trump over science.  Wasn't going to happen. 
    Was it inevitable, though? Tool and Billie Eilish both just kicked off arena tours, to name a couple. Cancellations could be forthcoming but they're playing shows now.
    And there was just a story that a guy with Covid was in the pit at a Tool show.  That's a real risk.  I don't know the story about Ellish, but consider the festival situation and how those are being cancelled.  Considering how socially conscious the band is, it feels inevitable.  I also have Jazz Fest tickets, and think that's maybe 50/50 right now.  Fortunately that isn't until the end of April, so still some time. 
    Don't get me wrong, I think they made the right decision. They're just the first to shut down an arena tour, no?
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    Porch temper tantrums are pretty funny. PJ made the right decision, too many unknowns right now. 

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,287
    thoughts on China being held a little more responsible for this?

thoughts on the travel ban that was implemented in January? 

I’m not instigating. Unlike some , I like to hear conversations from both sides. 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    nicknyr15 said:

I’m not instigating. Unlike some , I like to hear conversations from both sides. 
    Hard to hold China accountable when they hold all the cards. The U.S. is very dependent on China, especially for medicine. 

And China has made a threat against the U.S. in their state-run news....

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    nicknyr15 said:

Hard to hold China accountable when they hold all the cards. The U.S. is very dependent on China, especially for medicine. 

And China has made a threat against the U.S. in their state-run news....

Damn that is messed up. Thank you for your response. 
    nicknyr15 said:

They should certainly be scrutinized for how they handled it initially. Depends on what you mean by holding them responsible. Like should there be some sort of recourse?
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    China is who China is.  The fact that so many of our medical supplies are made there is certainly disconcerting.  This is one of the main reasons I was a big supporter of TPP.  It would have boxed China out of some of their manufacturing contracts with the US.  But of course Obama was for it, so it must be bad. 

The travel ban was appropriate.  The administration should have been warning senior citizens not to travel at all though.  But the travel ban probably didn't do much either way.  It was coming.  
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

They should certainly be scrutinized for how they handled it initially. Depends on what you mean by holding them responsible. Like should there be some sort of recourse?
    Nothing specific. Maybe some stricter regulations when it come to the way they treat animal consumption? Or environmental issues? I’m not very familiar with their rules etc but everything I’ve ever heard is don’t buy pet treats made in China because they have no regulations. 
    mrussel1 said:
    China is who China is.  The fact that so many of our medical supplies are made there is certainly disconcerting.  This is one of the main reasons I was a big supporter of TPP.  It would have boxed China out of some of their manufacturing contracts with the US.  But of course Obama was for it, so it must be bad. 

The travel ban was appropriate.  The administration should have been warning senior citizens not to travel at all though.  But the travel ban probably didn't do much either way.  It was coming.  
    Interesting. Thank you. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Nothing specific. Maybe some stricter regulations when it come to the way they treat animal consumption? Or environmental issues? I’m not very familiar with their rules etc but everything I’ve ever heard is don’t buy pet treats made in China because they have no regulations. 
    We don't really confront their Uyghur slave camps or rampant IP theft, so I can't imagine what we'd start to do here
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

We don't really confront their Uyghur slave camps or rampant IP theft, so I can't imagine what we'd start to do here
    Appreciate all the responses 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,543
    edited March 2020
    This is when good communication and world relationships outside your bubble of die hard supporters comes in handy. This dipshit president has alienated other countries and world leaders on so many levels just because he thinks he knows everything. Unfortunately, I still see people coming to his defense, saying that he, and his admin, have done nothing wrong. Okay, maybe true, but what are they doing or have they proactively been doing? Mock Obama all you want, but the guy built relationships and had allies we could turn to as a country if need be. He could also communicate to the people in a way that wasn't completely inept. Even Bush was able to assuage people in uncertain times, even if he and his admin were bungling the response.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,062
    325 people infected in Sweden. 
    Two in intensive care.

The Public Health Agency raises the level of likelihood of spread to "very High". 
    341 now.

I'm gonna keep indoors and out of crowded areas for two weeks. I got a lot of stuff to do anyways at home... 

The Public Health Authority raises the risk of the general spread of the corona virus in Sweden to the highest possible level: "very high".
    This is after another 60 people have been found infected in the Stockholm region - where one now changes strategy only targeting the most severely ill - and 15 in Västra Götaland.
    - Relatives should avoid unnecessary visits to hospitals and elderly residents. And never do it if you have symptoms, says Johan Carlson, Director General of the Public Health Authority.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,119

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,404
    I ate up many of the online UBC enviro-ocean-earth courses recently. I'm left with a teaching of earth having reaching its' saturation pertaining to population. We had a multiple choice question which was more or less: would you rather war or make more genetically modified food? I feel that adding the coronavirus as another alternative answer into this question would fit nicely.

I'm thinking I'm still gonna do my mummy-daughter Disney cruise next week. 
    Great informative podcast on coronavirus by Sam Harris. Highly recommend.

March 10, 2020

In this episode of the podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Nicholas Christakis about the coronavirus pandemic. They discuss the likely effects on society, proactive vs reactive school closures, community transmission, false comparisons between coronavirus and flu, the imperative of social distancing, the timeline of the pandemic, Trump’s political messaging, the widespread distrust of expertise, the importance of “flattening the curve” of the epidemic, the possible failure of our healthcare system, gradations of personal response to this threat, and other topics.

Nicholas A. Christakis, MD, PhD, MPH, is the Sterling Professor of Social and Natural Science at Yale University, where he directs the Human Nature Lab and is the Co-Director of the Yale Institute for Network Science. He was elected to the National Academy of Medicine in 2006, the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 2010, and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2017. He is the author of the New York Times bestseller, Blueprint: The Evolutionary Origins of a Good Societyand known for his research in the areas of social networks, biosocial science, behavior genetics, and public health.

https://samharris.org/podcasts/190-respond-coronavirus/

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,387
    This started because people were eating infected bats?  Is that correct?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    Chicken of the Cave
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    mcgruff10 said:
    I believe that is indeed the current story
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Fucking Champ Kind...
    Talk about Whammy!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,387
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Chicken of the Cave
    Are they a delicacy in Ohio?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Maybe, I think is the best answer.
    edited March 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Nope. I do not believe that is the current story, but that it could have started from bats (because of them carrying the virus), spread to other animals (being at the market where the first sick had been) and then transferred to humans.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    I thought the bat/wet market theory was one of the first ideas, but now they are saying they really have no idea?
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    mace1229 said:
    I thought the bat/wet market theory was one of the first ideas, but now they are saying they really have no idea?
    I thought the earliest theory was some sort of accident/mishap at a Chinese laboratory. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,316
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Nope. I do not believe that is the current story, but that it could have started from bats (because of them carrying the virus), spread to other animals (being at the market where the first sick had been) and then to humans.
    Yeah this. Last I heard they were 90% sure it came from bats. But not necessarily from eating them. Passed to other animals and then people. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    I originally read that the epicenter was an exotic foods market in China.  That doesn't necessarily mean the virus spread from an animal to a human in that market, but I suppose it's possible.  Where it started doesn't mean that was how it started. 
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    edited March 2020
    mace1229 said:
    I thought the earliest theory was some sort of accident/mishap at a Chinese laboratory. 
    I think this was when Batman took down Scarecrow.  So, it was the Bat’s fault...
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,350
    The coffee shop I get my morning cup from is not allowing people to pour their own milk or sugar, and has one goddamn barista sitting there with 20 people in a line saying how they like it.

People are FREAKING THE FUCK OUT.

I was like, 'And the door I need to push to get out....who is gonna push that for me?  Or is that safe?'

There is no rhyme or reason to what is going on.

It's just complete panic and fear, and that is destroying markets and setting the world on fire.

People need to chill the FUCK OUT...
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
This discussion has been closed.