Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,543
    bbiggs said:
    I’m not on FB, but a friend sent me this.  I appreciate this man’s service, but that aside, this behavior is so fucking ignorant.  This “I am lion, hear me roar” bullshit is going to cause some real ugly scenes in stores at some point.  Somehow no mask = tough guy all of a sudden.  Please.  I’m going to have to keep my cool when ass holes like this walk around in stores with no masks. It’s going to be tough. Outdoors is a different story. Inside, be a decent fucking person and put the mask on FFS. 

Bet you a million rubles they are both forced birthers
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    Mind blowing how stupid so many people are. 
    IMG

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Whoa. Is that by you? 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    bbiggs said:
    Whoa. Is that by you? 

No, surprisingly it is Trinity Bellwoods Park in Toronto.  For some reason, I always assume Canadians are smarter than that.  But they're people.  What was I thinking?! LOL
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    People should watch that video esp. the last 2 minutes. I guess people are acting like that everywhere in the world now. 

Looks like after all these weeks of taking care we still don't care enough and rather being selfish when we get the chance. 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,870
    edited May 2020
    g under p said:
    Alright, so had anybody here had a CV19 test?

Holy crap I thought the woman was trying to massage my brain for 20 seconds. Then in midst of it she asks me, are you a Red Sox fan? I'm like you REALLY want me to answer that while you're raping my nostrils.

I'm glad that's over with, now I wait 3-6 days for the results.

Peace
    I just had the antibody test on Friday and got my results today. I was positive for antibodies. I had some mild symptoms in mid March - loss of smell, pain in my back, and fatigue. Lasted about 5 days. If we hadn't had this virus, I would have just thought I was a bit under the weather. I even went to the doctors at the time for my back pain, but they didn't test me for COVID. So when the antibody test became available in NYC, I decided to take it. I guess I had it and recovered. Luckily, I have been diligent about social distancing, wearing a mask, etc. I will continue to do so until they know more about what having antibodies mean. But I am looking into donating plasma. It is weird to think I had it a few months ago and didn't know it all this time. 

• Options
    kce8 said:
    People should watch that video esp. the last 2 minutes. I guess people are acting like that everywhere in the world now. 

Looks like after all these weeks of taking care we still don't care enough and rather being selfish when we get the chance. 

Yes!  From 3:40 to on you can really hear the pain in the doctor's voice, the pain of seeing images of people carelessly gathering, careless risking the next wave of sickness and death.  And it's not just a few people.  It's a whole crowd!  Selfish it is, kce, selfish, careless and foolish.

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    Pretty good news in this study. Some parallels to a Korean study I'll post below it. Seems even dead, non-infectious virus can throw a positive test. A variety of implications there.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/05/22/861061727/south-korean-study-shows-no-evidence-recovered-covid-patients-can-infect-others
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,153
    https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-trump-china-travel-ban-45a2da12-8063-4ad9-ba28-61cdeb1ce0b3.html

40,000 people entered the US from China AFTER Team Trump Treason's China travel ban. After February 2nd, when he announced it and more than likely knew or should have known about the virus as early as late November/December. "It'll soon be zero." "Its like the flu." "Like a miracle, it'll be gone by April."
    To be fair, it also feels like China was downplaying the virus a bit.  As a result it doesn't feel like anyone from government, large corporations, to regular people, started to take it seriously until sometime in February, where everyone realized it might be a little worse then China was leading us to believe.

I really do hope, that we learning from this.  If a country has an outbreak of a nasty virus it should get locked down right away, with international travel banned.   We let the damn thing spread.  Not all China's fault either.  Even when we knew it was out there, here in Canada, be barely did any airport screening, letting people come back no problems.

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,601
    Zod said:
    https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-trump-china-travel-ban-45a2da12-8063-4ad9-ba28-61cdeb1ce0b3.html

40,000 people entered the US from China AFTER Team Trump Treason's China travel ban. After February 2nd, when he announced it and more than likely knew or should have known about the virus as early as late November/December. "It'll soon be zero." "Its like the flu." "Like a miracle, it'll be gone by April."
    To be fair, it also feels like China was downplaying the virus a bit.  As a result it doesn't feel like anyone from government, large corporations, to regular people, started to take it seriously until sometime in February, where everyone realized it might be a little worse then China was leading us to believe.

I really do hope, that we learning from this.  If a country has an outbreak of a nasty virus it should get locked down right away, with international travel banned.   We let the damn thing spread.  Not all China's fault either.  Even when we knew it was out there, here in Canada, be barely did any airport screening, letting people come back no problems.

US intelligence agencies were taking it seriously and trying to get Team Trump Treason’s attention but you know, twitter.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,768
    JW269453 said:
    static111 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Smellyman said:
    static111 said:
    https://twitter.com/joshuapotash/status/1263957793293336579?s=21
    Then there’s this creep vile human it’s not the Baffoon but close 

Sometimes I wonder why I live in Texas....

a sh!thole state
    An extremely shallow comment. Let me guess, you probably think we all wear cowboy boots and ride horses too? 
    Howdy fellow Texan.  It is clear that there are a lot of people that haven’t seen or refuse to see some of the great things our state has to offer.
    It is unique and probably has a place for just about anyone to fit in. I’ve always felt Hollywood’s portrayal of Texans is laughable and one of the main reasons people perceive us the way they do.
    brianlux said:
    JW269453 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Smellyman said:
    static111 said:

a sh!thole state
    An extremely shallow comment. Let me guess, you probably think we all wear cowboy boots and ride horses too? 
    Nah. Y’all just vote for the grabber in chief.
    47.77% of the people who voted would beg to differ. In a state with 29 million people, trump received 4,685,047 votes (16%). New York by comparison has 19.5 million people and trump received 2,819,534 votes (14.5%). It’s cool though, I understand some people just can’t help but stereotype. By your logic, trump is a New Yorker so therefore you are a trump. Is that how this works?

I've never been to Texas (other than changing planes in Dallas), but I know at least one good thing about your state:

I hear Austin is pretty too, city wise, and I'd love to see Big Bend.

But y'all have some major shit to deal with there too.  All states do, of course, but maybe TX has more than it's fare share.
    Gotta love Willie! The Red Headed Stranger album is almost like a lullaby for me.
    mrussel1 said:
    One of my favorite steakhouses in the country is in Austin.  Also cool to see the joints that SRV frequented.  

The thing that strikes me about Texas though is the concrete.  Dallas and Houston just seem like a web of interchanges. 
    I’ve driven to Dallas probably 100 times, I am not a fan of navigating through that chaos.
    having driven  a semi in both cities, frankly I am surprised I didnt see more wrecked vehicles. very aggressive drivers.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    bbiggs said:
    I’m not on FB, but a friend sent me this.  I appreciate this man’s service, but that aside, this behavior is so fucking ignorant.  This “I am lion, hear me roar” bullshit is going to cause some real ugly scenes in stores at some point.  Somehow no mask = tough guy all of a sudden.  Please.  I’m going to have to keep my cool when ass holes like this walk around in stores with no masks. It’s going to be tough. Outdoors is a different story. Inside, be a decent fucking person and put the mask on FFS. 

I bet you a million rubles they are bots
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mickeyrat said:
    JW269453 said:
    static111 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Smellyman said:
    static111 said:

a sh!thole state
    Howdy fellow Texan.  It is clear that there are a lot of people that haven’t seen or refuse to see some of the great things our state has to offer.
    It is unique and probably has a place for just about anyone to fit in. I’ve always felt Hollywood’s portrayal of Texans is laughable and one of the main reasons people perceive us the way they do.
    brianlux said:
    JW269453 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Smellyman said:
    static111 said:

a sh!thole state
    Nah. Y’all just vote for the grabber in chief.
    47.77% of the people who voted would beg to differ. In a state with 29 million people, trump received 4,685,047 votes (16%). New York by comparison has 19.5 million people and trump received 2,819,534 votes (14.5%). It’s cool though, I understand some people just can’t help but stereotype. By your logic, trump is a New Yorker so therefore you are a trump. Is that how this works?

I've never been to Texas (other than changing planes in Dallas), but I know at least one good thing about your state:

I hear Austin is pretty too, city wise, and I'd love to see Big Bend.

But y'all have some major shit to deal with there too.  All states do, of course, but maybe TX has more than it's fare share.
    Gotta love Willie! The Red Headed Stranger album is almost like a lullaby for me.
    mrussel1 said:
    One of my favorite steakhouses in the country is in Austin.  Also cool to see the joints that SRV frequented.  

The thing that strikes me about Texas though is the concrete.  Dallas and Houston just seem like a web of interchanges. 
    I’ve driven to Dallas probably 100 times, I am not a fan of navigating through that chaos.
    having driven  a semi in both cities, frankly I am surprised I didnt see more wrecked vehicles. very aggressive drivers.
    https://youtu.be/6Y5uAjWWQRg  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,074
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,543
    bbiggs said:

I bet you a million rubles they are bots
    Russian bots
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    Do you guys believe reports that 35% or more of cases were asymptomatic and undetected?
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    Do you guys believe reports that 35% or more of cases were asymptomatic and undetected?
    That sounds high. Do you have a link?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,768
    could go in several threads I guess  but here it is. thoughtful read....

Why military-style gear at protests rings hollow
    By Drew Garza
    May 25 at 10:47 AM ET
    Drew Garza served in the U.S. Army from 2005 to 2015. He is a Tillman scholar at George Washington University.

I took comfort in my Army uniform. Not a physical comfort, because that certainly was never synonymous with Army-issue items, but a comfort of familiarity. I suffered in that gear, and it became a part of me. Some veterans can’t wait to take off their uniform, but I didn’t want to live without mine.

I left the military in 2015 after 10 years of service that included three tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and about a dozen other deployments around the world. Initially, I was drawn to tactical clothing: military-style cargo pants, some variety of combat boot. I carried my multitool and other useful items, just like I did when I served. None of this was an attempt to convey authority or strength. It was a way to replicate the comfort of my uniform. As I transitioned to civilian life — and a difficult transition it was — wearing those clothes helped.

But slowly I moved away from that practice. I lost that comfort as I noticed the rise of “the Uniform.”

“The Uniform” is my term for the look some protesters have adopted in recent years. It is not a specific military uniform but often a mix of non-government-issue, third-party combat gear. There are usually lots of accessories and pouches; patches of varying political rancor; and flags that are rarely red, white and blue. Sometimes these outfits display a blood type, a practice meant to save lives in combat. Usually the clothes are clean, with no visible wear. Sometimes there are tactical masks or fabrics meant to evoke traditional Middle Eastern garb. And a rifle, often also heavily accessorized.

To my eye, the overall look is a caricature of a Special Operations warfighter, like those in video games.

The Uniform has become a fixture in political storms and crises. People in these outfits show up to political events, where they scream and scowl. They demand freedom as they wield assault rifles. They reject criticism as un-American. Some carry flags that are un-American. In a country where minorities are killed for mistaken perceptions, they protest in a protective ether of unrecognized privilege. They have adopted the Uniform to show a willingness to use force to protect their way of life. Thankfully, this interpretation of the appearance of strength is generally as far as things go.

At first, my discomfort with wearing tactical gear was rooted in not wanting to be associated with a particular political stance. I worried less that the look was being appropriated than I did about not wanting to explain my position to anyone either way. As many veterans can attest, the effort to do so can be exhausting and traumatic.

Now, however, I feel a different discomfort when I see the Uniform. Those wearing it are attempting to make their appearance speak for them, sometimes without the service that normally gives power to that voice. Over our nation’s history, the sacrifice and commitment of military service have made it a source of integrity and wisdom. It is meaningful when someone in uniform speaks because the uniform is also speaking. The power of that voice is such that political activities of military members in uniform are restricted. The fiber and brass of military uniforms announce the service of those wearing it; they suggest valuable insight and perspective.

Veterans know brothers and sisters who died in uniform. Tattered camouflage was often still wrapped around detached limbs. Millions of goodbyes have been said in uniform, and the uniform was the last thing that far too many family members touched. Millions of Americans have stood in uniform and watched innocent people suffer. Sometimes we could help; sometimes we were helpless. Some of us wore the same gear for weeks straight with no showers or laundry. We know the permanent coloring inflicted by months of billowing dust and sand. Uniforms get dirty — covered in hydraulic oil, mud, blood. Still, we wear them as we serve.

The military uniform has always shrouded pain. Veterans know this, and our uniforms speak because of it.

Military veterans, of course, are not gatekeepers of suffering. Many across our country are struggling. People are sick. Income inequality is rampant. Skin color and class trigger bias and discrimination. These conditions are not new, but the pandemic has exasperated them.

[Full coverage of the coronavirus pandemic]

Citizens have every right to be angry at government responses that are unclear, insufficient or unwarranted. Citizens have every right to protest — to speak from their personal pain.

They don’t need gear to speak for them.

I don’t pretend to know what suffering others have experienced. When I see the Uniform engaged in protest, I understand that it is intended to convey a message. But this appearance, reappropriated in anger, rings hollow.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    Zod said:

Trump was tremendously insightful banning travel from China.

Problem is most of the US infection was from NY, which arrived via Italy. Travel from Italy was ongoing for a full 43 days after the China ban.

oopsie.

https://youtu.be/2Bk9TOjrCLI
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    Possibly.  That means the number of US cases are astronomical.   Share the link to the reports. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mickeyrat said:
    could go in several threads I guess  but here it is. thoughtful read....

Why military-style gear at protests rings hollow
    By Drew Garza
    May 25 at 10:47 AM ET
    Drew Garza served in the U.S. Army from 2005 to 2015. He is a Tillman scholar at George Washington University.

I took comfort in my Army uniform. Not a physical comfort, because that certainly was never synonymous with Army-issue items, but a comfort of familiarity. I suffered in that gear, and it became a part of me. Some veterans can’t wait to take off their uniform, but I didn’t want to live without mine.

I left the military in 2015 after 10 years of service that included three tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and about a dozen other deployments around the world. Initially, I was drawn to tactical clothing: military-style cargo pants, some variety of combat boot. I carried my multitool and other useful items, just like I did when I served. None of this was an attempt to convey authority or strength. It was a way to replicate the comfort of my uniform. As I transitioned to civilian life — and a difficult transition it was — wearing those clothes helped.

But slowly I moved away from that practice. I lost that comfort as I noticed the rise of “the Uniform.”

“The Uniform” is my term for the look some protesters have adopted in recent years. It is not a specific military uniform but often a mix of non-government-issue, third-party combat gear. There are usually lots of accessories and pouches; patches of varying political rancor; and flags that are rarely red, white and blue. Sometimes these outfits display a blood type, a practice meant to save lives in combat. Usually the clothes are clean, with no visible wear. Sometimes there are tactical masks or fabrics meant to evoke traditional Middle Eastern garb. And a rifle, often also heavily accessorized.

To my eye, the overall look is a caricature of a Special Operations warfighter, like those in video games.

The Uniform has become a fixture in political storms and crises. People in these outfits show up to political events, where they scream and scowl. They demand freedom as they wield assault rifles. They reject criticism as un-American. Some carry flags that are un-American. In a country where minorities are killed for mistaken perceptions, they protest in a protective ether of unrecognized privilege. They have adopted the Uniform to show a willingness to use force to protect their way of life. Thankfully, this interpretation of the appearance of strength is generally as far as things go.

At first, my discomfort with wearing tactical gear was rooted in not wanting to be associated with a particular political stance. I worried less that the look was being appropriated than I did about not wanting to explain my position to anyone either way. As many veterans can attest, the effort to do so can be exhausting and traumatic.

Now, however, I feel a different discomfort when I see the Uniform. Those wearing it are attempting to make their appearance speak for them, sometimes without the service that normally gives power to that voice. Over our nation’s history, the sacrifice and commitment of military service have made it a source of integrity and wisdom. It is meaningful when someone in uniform speaks because the uniform is also speaking. The power of that voice is such that political activities of military members in uniform are restricted. The fiber and brass of military uniforms announce the service of those wearing it; they suggest valuable insight and perspective.

Veterans know brothers and sisters who died in uniform. Tattered camouflage was often still wrapped around detached limbs. Millions of goodbyes have been said in uniform, and the uniform was the last thing that far too many family members touched. Millions of Americans have stood in uniform and watched innocent people suffer. Sometimes we could help; sometimes we were helpless. Some of us wore the same gear for weeks straight with no showers or laundry. We know the permanent coloring inflicted by months of billowing dust and sand. Uniforms get dirty — covered in hydraulic oil, mud, blood. Still, we wear them as we serve.

The military uniform has always shrouded pain. Veterans know this, and our uniforms speak because of it.

Military veterans, of course, are not gatekeepers of suffering. Many across our country are struggling. People are sick. Income inequality is rampant. Skin color and class trigger bias and discrimination. These conditions are not new, but the pandemic has exasperated them.

[Full coverage of the coronavirus pandemic]

Citizens have every right to be angry at government responses that are unclear, insufficient or unwarranted. Citizens have every right to protest — to speak from their personal pain.

They don’t need gear to speak for them.

I don’t pretend to know what suffering others have experienced. When I see the Uniform engaged in protest, I understand that it is intended to convey a message. But this appearance, reappropriated in anger, rings hollow.

Good read, mickey. Thank you. 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,870
    Apparently mine was. I felt mildly under the weather for about a week in mid March (although I did lose my sense of smell at that time for about 5 days). Did the antibody test last week out of curiosity since it was readily available in NYC. I tested positive for antibodies. So, there may be many cases like mine - where people had it at one point but didn't really know it.

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,963
    MF117973 said:
    g under p said:
    Alright, so had anybody here had a CV19 test?

Holy crap I thought the woman was trying to massage my brain for 20 seconds. Then in midst of it she asks me, are you a Red Sox fan? I'm like you REALLY want me to answer that while you're raping my nostrils.

I'm glad that's over with, now I wait 3-6 days for the results.

Peace
    I just had the antibody test on Friday and got my results today. I was positive for antibodies. I had some mild symptoms in mid March - loss of smell, pain in my back, and fatigue. Lasted about 5 days. If we hadn't had this virus, I would have just thought I was a bit under the weather. I even went to the doctors at the time for my back pain, but they didn't test me for COVID. So when the antibody test became available in NYC, I decided to take it. I guess I had it and recovered. Luckily, I have been diligent about social distancing, wearing a mask, etc. I will continue to do so until they know more about what having antibodies mean. But I am looking into donating plasma. It is weird to think I had it a few months ago and didn't know it all this time. 

crazy...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    Not sure if people are still following the numbers but here are some dailies from around the world

Portugal 30.788 confirmed cases.
    + 165 since yesterday. 0.5% growth.
    1.330 deaths.
    + 14 since yesterday.
    17.822 recoveries.
    + 273 since yesterday.

531 people hospitalised.
    - 5 since yesterday.
    72 in the ICU.
    - 6 since yesterday.

Brazil as of 5/24/2020 (courtesy of https://covid.saude.gov.br/)

+15813 new confirmed cases (total 363211)
    +653 new deaths (total 22666)

149911 recovered
    190634 in treatment

Italy's update:
    +300 new positive cases (total 230158)
    +92 new deaths (total 32877)
    +1502 new recoveries (total 141981)

Netherlands:

+209 tested positive
    +8 hospitalized
    +8 deaths
    IC: 230 (At one point was at 1.5k).

Spain numbers:
    +482 cases (only PCR) (total 235772, 0,20% increase)
    +74 deaths (total 28752, 0,26% increase)

France situation for today 24/05:

144921 confirmed cases + 115 in 24H
    hospital:
    17185 hospitalized -7 in 24 H (121 entries)
    1655 in intensive care -10 in 24 H (24 entries)
    18022 dead + 35 in 24 H

Care homes:
    xxxx confirmed cases + xxx in 24H (not yet published 36853 3 days ago)
    10345 dead +0 in 24H

Total 28367 deaths +35 in24H

NJ Daily Numbers:

+965 cases (155092 total)
    +16 deaths (11144 total)

2755 are in hospitals
    719 are in ICU
    540 are on ventilators
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    U.S. has 4.8 % of world's population, 28% of COVID-19 deaths.
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    brianlux said:
    IMG

Cities are difficult . A lot of people cramped into apartments
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    IMG

Cities are difficult . A lot of people cramped into apartments

I don't live in a big city now but I have and I've spent a good deal of time in several of them.  There are ways to get away from crowds.  I've done it plenty of times.  Under the present circumstances, there is no excuse for what is illustrated by those photos.  None.

• Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    edited May 2020
    Yes - and the number is probably much higher.

There was a study recently that found potential cross-reactivity to SARS-CoV-2 in the immune systems of over half of its unexposed participants, possibly due to past exposure to other coronaviruses.

That's good news, but it's not "okay, let's reopen!" news:
    -We're still nowhere near herd immunity (>80%).
    -Whatever the actual IFR (fatality rate) is, we've already seen it can overwhelm municipal healthcare systems, and the death toll is horrific.
    -The relationship between exposure site/viral load and severity of resulting disease is poorly understood.
    -If the virus manages to reach the bloodstream through the lungs, it appears all sorts of hell can break loose.
    -We only just recently learned that the virus essentially kneecaps the adaptive immune system in the early stages of the disease.
    -Lingering/chronic disease has not been ruled out (the virus has been found in CSF, among other things).
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    Mike D88 said:
    Yes - and the number is probably much higher.

There was a study recently that found potential cross-reactivity to SARS-CoV-2 in the immune systems of over half of its unexposed participants, possibly due to past exposure to other coronaviruses.

-We're still nowhere near herd immunity (>80%).
    -Whatever the actual IFR (fatality rate) is, we've already seen it can overwhelm municipal healthcare systems, and the death toll is horrific.
    -The relationship between exposure site/viral load and severity of resulting disease is poorly understood.
    -If the virus manages to reach the bloodstream through the lungs, it appears all sorts of hell can break loose.
    -We only just recently learned that the virus essentially kneecaps the adaptive immune system in the early stages of the disease.
    -Lingering/chronic disease has not been ruled out (the virus has been found in CSF, among other things).

Sadly, a LOT of people don't get it!

Large crowds gather for Memorial Day as US braces to surpass 100,000 deaths

People packed bars and restaurants in Missouri and beaches in Georgia and Florida, while other places remained closed or followed social distancing rules

This discussion has been closed.