The coronavirus

Comments

• FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    Anyone catch the BlueDot piece on 60 Minutes the other night? Very informative on how they were tracking the virus independently using flight and cell phone data. Seems to me the only way to prevent a full blown pandemic is to close all domestic and international travel as soon as the warning signs appear, even then it could already be too late. This thing was all over in the beginning of January.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    JW269453 said:
    Anyone catch the BlueDot piece on 60 Minutes the other night? Very informative on how they were tracking the virus independently using flight and cell phone data. Seems to me the only way to prevent a full blown pandemic is to close all domestic and international travel as soon as the warning signs appear, even then it could already be too late. This thing was all over in the beginning of January.
    My sister & her family had flights booked for a vacation in September, Yesterday, the airline changed it from a 4hr flight to a 9hr flight to reduce the amount of passengers on the plane. The airline canceled the flight this morning. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I've seen a bunch of discussions on Facebook about vacations...there are a ton of people still planning to fly this summer and fall.  I think they are crazy.
    On the other side, some people are saying any travel at all is irresponsible.  
    We will be taking a few vacations this year, but we won't be using any shared facilities/equipment besides gas pumps, and we will use gloves for that.
    I won't see my mother in 2020 because we aren't flying across the country until this settles down.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    I've seen a bunch of discussions on Facebook about vacations...there are a ton of people still planning to fly this summer and fall.  I think they are crazy.
    We will be taking a few vacations this year, but we won't be using any shared facilities/equipment besides gas pumps, and we will use gloves for that.
    I won't see my mother in 2020 because we aren't flying across the country until this settles down.
    Yeah, we had plans to go to NY/NJ to see my family---primarily my aunt that hasn't been doing well for some time. We're now looking at a possible roadtrip to NY, but that also seems irresponsible & reckless to me right now. We may just end up waiting until next year for that trip, unfortunately.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mfc2006 said:
    rgambs said:
    Yeah, we had plans to go to NY/NJ to see my family---primarily my aunt that hasn't been doing well for some time. We're now looking at a possible roadtrip to NY, but that also seems irresponsible & reckless to me right now. We may just end up waiting until next year for that trip, unfortunately.
    Yeah I won't be going into any cities for the foreseeable future 😬😬😷😷😷
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,387
    mfc2006 said:
    rgambs said:
    Matt,
    Where in NJ?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,889
    SHZA said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    @Spiritual_Chaos Where you there?

Sweden is shutting down bars and restaurants where people defied social distancing guidelines

Officials in Sweden ordered five Stockholm bars and restaurants to close on Sunday after the establishments failed to follow social distancing guidelines.

Sweden has taken a controversial approach to the novel coronavirus pandemic by urging people to social distance, but also allowing restaurants, schools, and businesses to stay open throughout the outbreak.

Restaurants can still provide table service, but tables have to be spaced 6 feet apart to keep up with government social distancing guidelines. According to AFP, some Stockholm bars defied those guidelines over the weekend and were forced to close because of overcrowding.

Stockholm health official Per Follin told news agency TT, that four of the five bars and restaurants that were forced to close were located in Sodermalm, a trendy and bustling neighborhood of the city.

"The main problem was overcrowding, both inside the premises and outdoors," he said, according to AFP. He said that the establishments will be closed until further notice.

Authorities announced last week that they were increasing measures to enforce social distancing guidelines and that gatherings of more than 50 people have been banned.

Sweden, which has a population of 10.2 million people, has so far had 18,926 confirmed COVID-19 cases, and 2,274 deaths from the virus.

While Sweden has faced criticism over having far more deaths from the virus than its Nordic neighbors, the country's goal with limited restrictions is to reach herd immunity, meaning the majority of the population would become immune to COVID-19 through either having the virus or through a vaccine. At the moment, it's unknown if antibodies from the virus give full immunity or how long they last.

Karin Ulrika Olofsdotter, Sweden's ambassador to the US, told NPR that despite no scientific evidence, she believes herd immunity will prove to be successful.

"About 30% of people in Stockholm have reached a level of immunity," she said. "We could reach herd immunity in the capital as early as next month."

Live on the opposite coast. And no. I was playing "fyra i rad" and drinking wine at a friends flat.

So, not practicing social distancing voluntarily? 
    Same friend you went to lunch with or a different one?
    Different one. 

I'm sure hoping you keep 6 feet away from your family if you have any.

social distancing at all costs or you are part of the problem. Am I right?
    I haven't seen anyone who doesn't live in my home socially in 6 weeks.  You'll find that probably more than 90% of the people posting in this thread will say the same.

The rich part is that one of your Johan Savior Giesecke's biggest defenses of Sweden's lax regulations is the high level of Swedish compliance with voluntary recommendations.  You've even defended this "compliance", while not complying.  
    But I sure hope you keep 6 feet away from everyone inside your home also right? 

I mean we have to beat this? So, you are keeping 6 feet away from your wife, brothers/sisters, children etc?
    I've not seen a mandate or suggestion anywhere to maintain distance from those in your household. 
    Have you seen anyone say you are allowed to visit a restaurant or a bar?
    Certainly not in the US
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,062
    SHZA said:
    SHZA said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Sweden is shutting down bars and restaurants where people defied social distancing guidelines

Officials in Sweden ordered five Stockholm bars and restaurants to close on Sunday after the establishments failed to follow social distancing guidelines.

Sweden has taken a controversial approach to the novel coronavirus pandemic by urging people to social distance, but also allowing restaurants, schools, and businesses to stay open throughout the outbreak.

Restaurants can still provide table service, but tables have to be spaced 6 feet apart to keep up with government social distancing guidelines. According to AFP, some Stockholm bars defied those guidelines over the weekend and were forced to close because of overcrowding.

Stockholm health official Per Follin told news agency TT, that four of the five bars and restaurants that were forced to close were located in Sodermalm, a trendy and bustling neighborhood of the city.

"The main problem was overcrowding, both inside the premises and outdoors," he said, according to AFP. He said that the establishments will be closed until further notice.

Authorities announced last week that they were increasing measures to enforce social distancing guidelines and that gatherings of more than 50 people have been banned.

Sweden, which has a population of 10.2 million people, has so far had 18,926 confirmed COVID-19 cases, and 2,274 deaths from the virus.

While Sweden has faced criticism over having far more deaths from the virus than its Nordic neighbors, the country's goal with limited restrictions is to reach herd immunity, meaning the majority of the population would become immune to COVID-19 through either having the virus or through a vaccine. At the moment, it's unknown if antibodies from the virus give full immunity or how long they last.

Karin Ulrika Olofsdotter, Sweden's ambassador to the US, told NPR that despite no scientific evidence, she believes herd immunity will prove to be successful.

"About 30% of people in Stockholm have reached a level of immunity," she said. "We could reach herd immunity in the capital as early as next month."

Live on the opposite coast. And no. I was playing "fyra i rad" and drinking wine at a friends flat.

Different one. 

I haven't seen anyone who doesn't live in my home socially in 6 weeks.  You'll find that probably more than 90% of the people posting in this thread will say the same.

The rich part is that one of your Johan Savior Giesecke's biggest defenses of Sweden's lax regulations is the high level of Swedish compliance with voluntary recommendations.  You've even defended this "compliance", while not complying.  

I mean we have to beat this? So, you are keeping 6 feet away from your wife, brothers/sisters, children etc?
    I've not seen a mandate or suggestion anywhere to maintain distance from those in your household. 
    Certainly not in the US
    But here's my secret Cap,

I don't live in the US.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    mfc2006 said:
    JW269453 said:
    My sister & her family had flights booked for a vacation in September, Yesterday, the airline changed it from a 4hr flight to a 9hr flight to reduce the amount of passengers on the plane. The airline canceled the flight this morning. 
    Yeah I just wanna spend some quality time with my parents they are only 45 minutes from me and I can’t and that blows! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    mfc2006 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Yeah I just wanna spend some quality time with my parents they are only 45 minutes from me and I can’t and that blows! 
    My mom is in a nursing home.  They are completely sequestered to their rooms.  It's terrible but necessary. 
    edited April 2020
    Good bye. Stay safe.  

This is highly unfair.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,587
    benjs said:

This had me crying within 30 seconds of reading. May this hero rest in peace.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/nyregion/new-york-city-doctor-suicide-coronavirus.html

This is heartbreaking. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Good bye. Stay safe.  

This is highly unfair.
    Banned again? Hopefully just temporary. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,587
    rgambs said:

My wife had plane tickets to fly to Alaska to see her daughter this month.  She had to cancel her plans.  A few weeks after the stay at home orders started I told her how amazed I am by how calmly she handles things and she burst into tears and said, "Yeah, except I don't know if I'll ever get to see my daughter again."  That left me with a heavy heart and I tried my best to reassure her that this thing will not last forever and she will get to see her daughter again.  Being separated from loved ones is one of the heavy burdens of the heart this virus brings with it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited April 2020
    nvm

edited April 2020
    I've met @JPPJ84 @lastexitlondon @23scidoo IRL, Ive been to 25 shows or whatever and been on here since 2005.

I am not a russian bot for having opinions. 

fuck it, Im logging off. This is disparaging.

Wash your hands.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,461
    I've met @JPPJ84 @lastexitlondon @23scidoo IRL, Ive been to 25 shows or whatever and been on here since 2005.

Wash your hands.

What happened now?! 
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,075
    JPPJ84 said:

Wash your hands.

What happened now?! 

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,889
    edited April 2020
    SHZA said:
    SHZA said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Different one. 

Certainly not in the US
    But here's my secret Cap,

I don't live in the US.

Understood. But you attempted to justify apparently violating even the more relaxed guidelines of your country by saying that others should be social distancing from people in their own household, which is not something that any country in the world requires or recommends. The ability to go to a bar or restaurant while maintaining social distancing is a separate issue. 
    Post edited by SHZA on
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    mfc2006 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Same here. Except they haven’t canceled yet and went from about a 6 hr to almost 12 hour trip.

On the plus side we booked a round trip for 4 to Fort Worth in October for $60 total. That’s $60 total for all 4!
    mcgruff10 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    rgambs said:
    Matt,
    Where in NJ?
    Red Bank & Monmouth Beach. We were hoping to make a long week of it & go to the SeeHearNow festival as well. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    JW269453 said:
    I hear ya. My Mom & 2 of my siblings live 45 minutes from us in Lawrence. We're driving there on Thursday so say hi from a distance. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mace1229 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Same here. Except they haven’t canceled yet and went from about a 6 hr to almost 12 hour trip.

On the plus side we booked a round trip for 4 to Fort Worth in October for $60 total. That’s $60 total for all 4!
    WOW. Yeah, my wife wants to book a getaway soon because the prices are ridiculous. I think we may do it as long as the flights are refundable.....hmm.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927

Wash your hands.

If you're not a Russian bot, what does that make you then? 

...if only there was a term for a person perceived as propagandizing for a cause without fully comprehending the cause's goals, and who is cynically used by the cause's leaders....
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    SC is an argumentative guy, but he has an ideology and I could easily name 3-4 people who go after people more consistently 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    CM189191 said:

Wash your hands.

...if only there was a term for a person perceived as propagandizing for a cause without fully comprehending the cause's goals, and who is cynically used by the cause's leaders....
    If this isn't a personal attack, I don't know what is
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    CM189191 said:

Wash your hands.

I think the term you are looking for is either Republican or Democrat.
    CM189191 said:

Wash your hands.

Cause it’s only Russian bots that fit that description? Have you taken a look around your country during the last four years? 
    JPPJ84 said:
    CM189191 said:

Wash your hands.

Cause it’s only Russian bots that fit that description? Have you taken a look around your country during the last four years? 
    Isn't your city spelled Hamberg?  I think you misspelled it. 
    mrussel1 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    CM189191 said:

Wash your hands.

Isn't your city spelled Hamberg?  I think you misspelled it. 
    I don’t get it. Doesn’t matter, I know why I usually keep away from AMT ;)
This discussion has been closed.