The coronavirus

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,062
    edited April 2020
    No one has any problems criticizing Sweden with a broad brush, but never themselves because then "everything is different and unique" 

Have you ever thought about that? Haha.

I wasn't criticizing Sweden with my comment.   I compare a state like Indiana with 800 deaths to Sweden with 2,100.  Indiana shutdown for the last four weeks and Sweden stayed open.  I would have expected a lot more deaths in Sweden or a lot less in Indiana comparatively.  Why was there a difference?    

Wasn't talking about you, I mean you did even write: " I think at the end of the day there is no one size fits all way of handling this virus as each country is unique. "

Sweden has a high death rate -- higher than some countries that has locked down, lower than some that has locked down.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,516
    mcgruff10 said:
    Half of NJ (hyperbole, I know) works in NYC, or has neighbors who do... the most highly concentrated zone for this shit.
    If Sweden were right next door they would feel the brunt of that as well.

Being the most densely populated state doesn't help us either.  Sweden and nj are in the same ballpark with respect to population but Sweden is approx 23 times bigger than NJ.  

I should have read the entire page first. We really need to stop looking at Sweden. They are an isolated nation. They shut their borders and done, they are efficiently locked down and a million times safer than us.

NJ didn’t have that option because by the time we ramped up testing, thanks trump, the virus was embedded in the NYC region.

Sweden isn’t also part of a 25 million region with 3 international airports transporting thousands from Italy and China, with vast immigrant communities within its border
    edited April 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    Half of NJ (hyperbole, I know) works in NYC, or has neighbors who do... the most highly concentrated zone for this shit.

Being the most densely populated state doesn't help us either.  Sweden and nj are in the same ballpark with respect to population but Sweden is approx 23 times bigger than NJ.  

I should have read the entire page first. We really need to stop looking at Sweden. They are an isolated nation. They shut their borders and done, they are efficiently locked down and a million times safer than us.

NJ didn’t have that option because by the time we ramped up testing, thanks trump, the virus was embedded in the NYC region.

Sweden isn’t also part of a 25 million region with 3 international airports transporting thousands from Italy and China, with vast immigrant communities within its border
    What do you mean by Sweden shutting their borders? As in they have done it, or as in that they can do it?

You do know that the virus was embedded in the Stockholm region and we gave up on testing?

You do know that the most affected areas in Stockholm -- are "immigrant communities" in the outer suburbs?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,831
    mcgruff10 said:

Right.  Sweden’s plan may have been crackpot in the US but may end up in the long run the right call for Sweden.   Time will ultimately tell.   Need to see what happens on the other side when countries start re-opening.   
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,641
    mcgruff10 said:

Right.  Sweden’s plan may have been crackpot in the US but may end up in the long run the right call for Sweden.   Time will ultimately tell.   Need to see what happens on the other side when countries start re-opening.   
    Sweden isnt an island. Its 2 neighbors have a different experience and far lower numbers.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mcgruff10 said:

What do you mean by Sweden shutting their borders? As in they have done it, or as in that they can do it?

You do know that the virus was embedded in the Stockholm region and we gave up on testing?

You do know that the most affected areas in Stockholm -- are "immigrant communities" in the outer suburbs?
    I thought that the EU - the 26 Schengen Area Countries closed its borders? Perhaps Sweden did not but my point is most of Europe has limited travel. I am in a NY suburb and not sure how shut down we are. I was on a single lane main road yesterday, in between towns, not in a Main Street area, and had to wait 15 cars to pass in order to make a left turn. The waiting was sweet, almost like the good old days. And I got really excited because I realized I might not even get to turn during the entire green light cycle!
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Sweden isnt an island. Its 2 neighbors have a different experience and far lower numbers.
    The Netherlands is a little bigger than Sweden at 17 million and has about 4500 fatalities. California is the world wide covid rock star. They had the earliest cases, huge population and “only” 1700 fatalities.
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:

The Netherlands is a little bigger than Sweden at 17 million and has about 4500 fatalities. California is the world wide covid rock star. They had the earliest cases, huge population and “only” 1700 fatalities.
    What is the excess death rate for California for this spring?
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,831
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Understand. We will have to see where things stand when the countries re-open.  Do Norway and Finland catch up?   Hope not but will see.  
    Stop putting Denmark down.

They are doing better also.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,402
    edited April 2020
    Canada's Dr. Tam doesn't support the "herd immunity" mentality that Sweden supports, adding that children can get sick and ought not be sacrificed for the more vulnerable. That is, if antibodies are to be proven to fight off reinfections from survivors. 

On that note, CBC news suggested that making passports for those people who have the antibodies could be a requirement for people to re-enter society and, for example, a stadium.

Then, bands would perform then only to the 'fittest' members of society. Hmm.., McCready wouldn't be allowed on stage should he avoid exposure.

Post edited by Spunkie on
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    SHZA said:
    Mike D88 said:
    Sorry, I was replying to what dreams and should have quoted.
    I love the part about the Jefferson hospital in Philadelphia where 12 patients have stroked and 40% of them are young. That's 4.8 people. How does that happen, 8 tenths of a person has a stroke? 

Gee, maybe it's 5.0 people and they rounded to 40% instead of using 41.6666666666666666667%? 
    Or the doctor could have just said 5 people . . . But that's just not as ALARMING as 40%
    edited April 2020
    23scidoo said:

People dying NOW..

Finland's handling of the corona virus has been significantly more stringent than Sweden's - leading to a more prolonged pandemic, says the country's health security manager Mika Salminen.

Salminen believes that the peak of infection is coming in the fall and believes it is the negative side of the country's restrictions.
    - When the restrictions were introduced, we couldn't know for sure how the epidemic would develop. Now it may have slowed down more than we had planned he tells MTV Uutiset reports SVT.

Looks to me like Finland doesn't think enough "People dying NOW"

• 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,075
    23scidoo said:

People dying NOW..

Finland's handling of the corona virus has been significantly more stringent than Sweden's - leading to a more prolonged pandemic, says the country's health security manager Mika Salminen.

Salminen believes that the peak of infection is coming in the fall and believes it is the negative side of the country's restrictions.
    - When the restrictions were introduced, we couldn't know for sure how the epidemic would develop. Now it may have slowed down more than we had planned he tells MTV Uutiset reports SVT.

Looks to me like Finland doesn't Think enough "People dying NOW"

What monsters. No wonder Pearl Jam never plays there.
    I'm afraid to think about what would have happened in my country if we had followed another policy..
    ΝΟW..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    23scidoo said:
    23scidoo said:

People dying NOW..

I'm afraid to think about what would have happened in my country if we had followed another policy..
    ΝΟW..
    Come back in a year.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,075
    23scidoo said:
    23scidoo said:

People dying NOW..

ΝΟW..
    Come back in a year.
    Hope you and yours are safe..today..not in the year..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,316
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I see you've latched onto the Fake News, Fake Hospital reporting bullshit.  Hmmm...Google says, based on your previous searches you might enjoy foxnews.com.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,005
    Interesting article.  How long before 4Chan and Q pick this up and run with it?
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/27/tech/coronavirus-conspiracy-theory/index.html
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I see you've latched onto the Fake News, Fake Hospital reporting bullshit.  Hmmm...Google says, based on your previous searches you might enjoy foxnews.com.
    Don't know what you are doing now.

But keep it up why don't you.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    C’mon folks let’s keep this thread for real time useful information on the virus! Stop attacking each other..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Everytime someone posts about Covid-19 deaths you are now asking... what about excess death rate...meaning you don;t believe number. Right?
    hippiemom = goodness
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Everytime someone posts about Covid-19 deaths you are now asking... what about excess death rate...meaning you don;t believe number. Right?
    "don't believe number" - what?

There being a lot of cases out there in the world not covered in the numbers out of e.g. hospitals?  

Don't see where the fake news/fake hospital/fox news angle comes from regarding that.

But please, elaborate.
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:

"don't believe number" - what?

There being a lot of cases out there in the world not covered in the numbers out of e.g. hospitals?  

Don't see where the fake news/fake hospital/fox news angle comes from regarding that.

But please, elaborate.
    It seems I'm wrong.  I believed you wanting to use a different measure to try and show a reduced number of Covid-19 deaths.  My mistake, I am sorry.

Popping in and out less frequently here it seems and got my wires crossed.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    Second time questions about sex shows up in the swedish press briefings. 

"us being single - how can we date now?"
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,200
    When are people going to start believing in science again?

The Spradlins were also counting on a power greater than a Z-Pak or an albuterol canister. Their fervent brand of charismatic Christianity held that God regularly intervened in the world to alter the course of believers’ physical ailments.

“I don’t believe there are incurable diseases. God can heal anything,” Landon said during an interview at a 2016 motorcycle rally in Daytona Beach, Fla. “There are documented cases of God healing AIDS. God can cause limbs to grow out where they’ve been chopped off. God can raise the dead.”

A new malady had emerged as his Mardi Gras ministry ended last month. But not everyone acknowledged its threat. Three days before leaving, Landon — an avid Trump supporter — posted a meme on his Facebook page about the coronavirus, which at the time had killed about 40 people in the United States. The media, it warned, was trying to “manipulate your life” by creating “mass hysteria.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2020/04/27/pastor-landon-spradlin-coronavirus-death/
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    Nate Silver makes an interesting point here

edited April 2020
    Looks to me like a very constructed paradox to get a "smart" tweet out. Don't see what's so interesting about it..?

And who has said "we may never get a vaccin, so we might as well open back up" ?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Looks to me like a very constructed paradox to get a "smart" tweet out. Don't see what's so interesting about it..?

And who has said "we may never get a vaccin, so we might as well open back up" ?

Hah!  That's not very far off from what Anders Tegnell and Johan Giesecke have been saying.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

I've seen several articles that express some doubt about a vaccine. Linked a couple below. The opening-back-up idea flows from that. Can't remember who I've seen say it specifically, but Google away if you're interested. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-vaccine-may-be-impossible-to-produce-scientists-covid-2020-4

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51665497

rgambs said:

Hah!  That's not very far off from what Anders Tegnell and Johan Giesecke have been saying.
    You know, that's kinda what I thought too but haven't been following all his screeds closely enough to reply that way with any confidence 
This discussion has been closed.