The coronavirus

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,583
    Mike D88 said:
    Lest anyone forget this is the first post-truth president:

Mr. Trump...

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,583
    Mike D88 said:
    Lest anyone forget this is the first post-truth president:

Mr. Trump...

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Some positive news: LabCorp granted emergency use authorization for at-home tests. Will initially be made available to healthcare workers and first responders and "in the coming weeks" to consumers.

@brianlux, I regret to inform you that it is a nasal swab.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200421005452/en/LabCorp-COVID-19-At-Home-Test-Kit-Receives-FDA
     Interesting. I would like to see their validity data. It's not easy to do a nasopharyngeal swab on yourself. Done correctly, it's a painful procedure, and done incorrectly you won't get a useful sample. I would be concerned about a high rate of false negatives with this. 
    I wondered about that, too. But LabCorp is legit so I imagine/think/hope they know what they're doing. 
    I want to see their data. I’m not sure I’ll have time today to look for it but I’ll try. 
    The directions, too. Hopefully it's not just a gif of The Joker's pencil trick.
    So far it’s just all kittens and rainbows and flowers, but no data. Aren’t they obligated to publish this stuff? 

I have learned that the at home test is only a nasal swab, not nasopharyngeal, because the NP swab is “too uncomfortable”. What that change does to accuracy, they don’t say. 
    I guess we just have to trust the FDA thumbs up? Maybe you have to look at it similarly to Rx vs OTC drugs. Rx comes with a PI where you can see efficacy data. That same drug goes OTC and it's just directions for use, contraindications, etc. Unless they want to tout the accuracy (like pregnancy tests), do at-home tests generally publish that data publicly?
    I don’t know that that’s a good comparison, because if a medication goes off patent or becomes OTC, it’s still the same active ingredient ingested in exactly the same way, whereas this home test kit has at the least a different swabbing strategy, untrained vs trained administrator, and uncontrolled storage and shipping conditions. It needs its own data. 
    I complicated my point by saying the same drug. Focusing just on other tests you can buy off shelves, is that data generally available publicly?
    The FDA that is approving the home test is the same FDA that said it is unlikely to catch the virus from food delivery?
    The same FDA that put bread, cereal, pasta on the food pyramid?  That pushed Milk on the country as a crucial part of our diets?

Motivated by money.  I'm sure they do many fine things and I would rather have some testing vs no testing by a governing body, but I am always suspicious of the FDA 
    I share your beef with the FDA, but will say this: they tend to be way too conservative with this stuff for me, so if they're actually giving the green light I'll go with it.
    Mike D88 said:
    pjl44 said:
    I doubt it's a coordinated message. You probably have a mix of (imo) reasonable people upset about the crazier restrictions up to (imo) unreasonable people who think we'd be fine filling the Rose Bowl tomorrow and like shouting in the street.
    It's very much a coordinated effort by a few powerful players using what counts as sophisticated methods for their audience. Which is to say their OPSEC is a joke: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/04/whos-behind-the-reopen-domain-surge/

The game is to open things up as soon as possible, whether it's safe or not. Once that genie is out of the bottle, it will be dramatically more difficult to get people to cooperate on closing down a second time. So we'll be back to business permanently at that point, and at risk people will have to die. I'm not making this up, either. The trajectory of this whole effort was made clear weeks ago, when a piece appeared in The Federalist that performed a cost-benefit analysis of reopening. The conclusion of that analysis was that we should let hundreds of thousands die to save the economy. Shortly thereafter the idea spread through American conservatives like, well, a virus. Now here they are, pushing to reopen when 1) testing capacity remains woefully inadequate, 2) no treatments have been found, 3) much about the virus and its lasting effects is still unknown, and 4) the spread has hardly run its course.

The inevitable conclusion of this reopen strategy--unleashed this early--is to make that proposition from The Federalist a reality. It's human sacrifice with extra steps.
    I don't know about all that, but I was talking about the attendees
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    What a shit show this is becoming in the U.S.  Some states are about to open back up, others are extending stay at home orders through the end of May. Give me a break.  No wonder we’re MILES ahead of every country in terms of cases and deaths.  The division here is as great as I’ve ever seen it.  Fucking embarrassing to be honest. 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    mace1229 said:
    rgambs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    The FDA that is approving the home test is the same FDA that said it is unlikely to catch the virus from food delivery?
    The same FDA that put bread, cereal, pasta on the food pyramid?  That pushed Milk on the country as a crucial part of our diets?

Motivated by money.  I'm sure they do many fine things and I would rather have some testing vs no testing by a governing body, but I am always suspicious of the FDA 
    I honestly was shocked when they said it wasn’t necessary to wipe down groceries. People touch stuff and put them back every second. How could you recommend to not wipe down anything that comes in from a store? Terrible advice 
    Doubt you really have enough authority on the subject to decide if the advice is terrible or not.
    True, besides, everyone knows that plastic and children are magical and incapable of transmitting the virus. 
    It's a well-known supernatural phenomenon called the Giesecke-Effect.
    Show me those schools outbreaks m8.

Countries are opening up their schools now. Sweden leads the way once again. This is the 1970s law against corporal punisment of children all over again. Sweden the avant garde. Leading the pack. Ahead of the curve. ABBA.

Sweden isn't leading, but it is #10 on the most deaths/1M population due to coronavirus.  I think it was an interesting idea to see how it would play out, unfortunately people were at risk of dying.  Now - it isn't over.  Maybe other countries with a second wave or whatever will fly past Sweden in this terrible statistic.  

Regardless, I just hope this ends soon.
    You ever played Mario Kart bro?

Just because Koopa is getting up to speed to lead the pack in the first curve, doesn't mean he is a better character to choose than Bowser.

We won't know the effects on countries for years to come. 
    That game is rigged anyway. They always give the last place player red turtle shells.
    Or worse, a lightning bolt 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    edited April 2020
    bbiggs said:
    What a shit show this is becoming in the U.S.  Some states are about to open back up, others are extending stay at home orders through the end of May. Give me a break.  No wonder we’re MILES ahead of every country in terms of cases and deaths.  The division here is as great as I’ve ever seen it.  Fucking embarrassing to be honest. 
    I haven’t seen stats for about a week, but last I saw I don’t think we were even top 10 per capita. I don’t think we’re number 1 or even close unless you ignore population. Which if you do wouldn’t be an accurate assessment.

Edit: just looked it up, were #6
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.statista.com/chart/amp/21176/covid-19-infection-density-in-countries-most-total-cases/
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    Our governor met with Supers of schools districts today and told them to be prepared for online learning into the fall or staggered/rotating student schedules.
    That just seems crazy that by mid August we still won’t be back. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,059
    edited April 2020
    @Thoughts_Arrive

what do you think of this unholy union?

Researchers at Karolinska Institutetet in Sweden have together with researchers in China developed a new diagnostic test for covid-19. The test can be performed without advanced lab equipment and produce results within about half an hour, according to a study published in the journal Clinical Chemistry.

The researchers have adapted a technique called loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) specifically for the new coronavirus. The technology makes it possible to mass-copy the virus's genetic mass at a constant temperature of 65 degrees and within 20 to 40 minutes.

"The only thing needed is a test tube with the reagents, a hotplate, a thermometer and a pot of water," says Vicent Pelechano, researcher at the Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology and SciLifeLab at Karolinska Institutet, and one of the study's authors in a press release. .

Today, so-called PCR analyzes are mainly used to test whether a patient has been infected with covid-19. The PCR method makes it possible to find very small amounts of a contagious substance, but requires trained personnel and advanced laboratory equipment, and it takes several hours to get a result.

The researchers are now working to verify the test result on confirmed covid-19 patients at Karolinska University Hospital.

https://youtu.be/kfmrX_WlM2w
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,071
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    23scidoo said:
    Guessing Finland and Greece are similar... pretty drastic measures very early, before there was a big spread.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    23scidoo said:
    Guessing Finland and Greece are similar... pretty drastic measures very early, before there was a big spread.
    That was the key my friend..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

23scidoo said:
    That was the key my friend..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• SHZASHZA Posts: 3,889
    edited April 2020
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:
    I haven’t seen stats for about a week, but last I saw I don’t think we were even top 10 per capita. I don’t think we’re number 1 or even close unless you ignore population. Which if you do wouldn’t be an accurate assessment.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.statista.com/chart/amp/21176/covid-19-infection-density-in-countries-most-total-cases/
    But that's confirmed cases. The true number of US cases is grossly understated because the testing capacity is so abysmal. With widespread testing, we'd be #1 per capita by far. 
    Post edited by SHZA on
    SHZA said:
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:

But that's confirmed cases. The true number of US cases is grossly understated because the testing capacity is so abysmal. With widespread testing, we'd be #1 per capita by far. 
    How many excess dead have there been in the US lately?

4000 in NYC

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    mace1229 said:
    Our governor met with Supers of schools districts today and told them to be prepared for online learning into the fall or staggered/rotating student schedules.
    Not to me it doesn’t I’d be surprised if by fall everything is ok ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,384

Sweden has nearly 10 times the number of COVID-19-related deaths than its Nordic neighbors. Here's where it went wrong.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sweden-nearly-10-times-number-210442597.html

Sweden's controversial coronavirus strategy has led to nearly 10 times the number of deaths of other Nordic countries — and it serves as a counterargument to US citizens calling for their country to reopen.

Sweden has yet to order any lockdowns amid the novel coronavirus pandemic, according to AFP. The country has left schools, restaurants, and gyms open, and while the government banned gatherings over 50 people and urged residents to self-isolate, life appears to be largely unchanged.

Sweden's lack of strict lockdowns contrasts sharply with the rest of Europe, and it has yet to see a downturn in COVID-19 cases. The country — which has a population of about 10.2 million — has seen 15,322 cases and 1,765 deaths from the virus so far, making the death rate per capita at 17.3 deaths per 100,000 people.

Sweden's Nordic neighbors Norway and Finland approached the virus differently, and it could be why they're facing just a fraction of COVID-19-related deaths.

Norway went into lockdown in mid-March, closing schools, restaurants, cultural events, gyms, and tourist attractions. It also banned outside travelers. Finland, which has been stockpiling medical supplies since the Cold War, restricted border traffic, banned gatherings of 10 or more people, and closed schools as part of its coronavirus guidelines.

Norway, which has nearly 5.4 million people, has seen 7,191 cases and 182 deaths, with a death rate per capita at 3.37 deaths per 100,000 people. Finland, with a population of 5.5 million, has seen 4,014 COVID-19 cases and 141 deaths, with a death rate per capita at 2.56 deaths per 100,000 people.

For a further comparison, the United States, which has a population of 328.2 million, has seen 800,932 confirmed COVID-19 cases, and 43,006 deaths, with a death rate per capita at 13.1 deaths per 100,000 people.

Anders Tegnell, the state epidemiologist who created Sweden's relaxed coronavirus response plan, told local media that the country's fatality rates show the spread of the virus is starting to "plateau," according to Bloomberg.

Charts released by Pantheon Macroeconomics, however, contradict Tegnell. Sweden's COVID-19 cases appear to still be rising, and Norway's appear to already be on a downslide.

Bo Lundback, a professor of epidemiology at the University of Gothenburg, told Agence Frances-Press that a change needed to happen.

"The authorities and the government stupidly did not believe that the epidemic would reach Sweden at all," he said.

Some 2,300 academics signed an open letter last month calling for Sweden to reconsider its approach to the virus, according to Fox News.

Cecilia Soderberg-Naucler, a professor at the Karolinska Institute who signed the letter, told Fox News: "We must establish control over the situation — we cannot head into a situation where we get complete chaos. No one has tried this route, so why should we test it first in Sweden, without informed consent?"

Swedes so far have been refraining from travel, according to Bloomberg, and its foreign minister, Ann Linde, said in an interview with Radio Sweden that its rules "affect the whole society," according to Bloomberg.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331

Autopsies find first U.S. coronavirus death occurred in early February, weeks earlier than previously thought

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/04/22/death-coronavirus-first-california/
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    edited April 2020
    mace1229 said:
    You’re In Wisconsin, right? I would bet if Walker had won that election, he’d be pushing for them to be back in May.  With no commentary on who’s right, the politics division is amazing.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331

Right-Wing Responsible For Pushing Coronavirus Disinformation On Twitter Worldwide, New Report Says

https://www.forbes.com/sites/seanlawson/2020/04/21/right-wing-responsible-for-pushing-coronavirus-disinformation-on-twitter-worldwide-new-report-says/#48aba82e597f

Both sides, same.
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:

Our numbers have climbed rapidly in a short period of time.  You're not factoring in timing of when other countries were first hit and we were at zero, or close to it.  Let's re-visit this stat in 2, 3 and 4 weeks from now.
    SHZA said:
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:

Exactly.  Another huge factor (probably the biggest factor).  And again, we were very late to be hit with the disease relative to the rest of the planet, so to say we're #6 in confirmed cases and deaths per capita doesn't carry much weight unless you factor in our testing capacity per capita, which we all know is terrible.

• bbiggs said:
    SHZA said:
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:

Exactly.  Another huge factor (probably the biggest factor).  And again, we were very late to be hit with the disease relative to the rest of the planet, so to say we're #6 in confirmed cases and deaths per capita doesn't carry much weight unless you factor in our testing capacity per capita, which we all know is terrible.

I think you meant beautiful, amazing, greatest-ever, or all the responsibility of the states
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,197
    dignin said:

Right-Wing Responsible For Pushing Coronavirus Disinformation On Twitter Worldwide, New Report Says

https://www.forbes.com/sites/seanlawson/2020/04/21/right-wing-responsible-for-pushing-coronavirus-disinformation-on-twitter-worldwide-new-report-says/#48aba82e597f

Both sides, same.
    Because that’s how you fight a pandemic contrary to your political agenda. Both sides same. I wonder what percentage are incels?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/04/21/nearly-25000-email-addresses-passwords-allegedly-nih-who-gates-foundation-are-dumped-online/

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    bbiggs said:
    SHZA said:
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:

I think you meant beautiful, amazing, greatest-ever, or all the responsibility of the states
    Shame on me.  How could I forget about the beautiful tests.  SMH

bbiggs said:
    SHZA said:
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:

And anyone who wants one can get one.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    How long are some of you willing to be locked down for? As long as it takes? 

Amazed at all the peeps that can work from home..Easy to judge those that don't have that luxury..
    No judgment here at all. Actually I haven't seen anyone here that's working from home pass judgment on those that can't. 

I honestly think it sucks that people aren't working. I've seen the direct impact that it's had on friends and family & we try to help them as much as we can.

That being said, I think that it is irresponsible to open the country/world when there are so many unknowns and because this virus has NOT just disappeared like the president hoped that it would. If I wasn't able to work from home or wasn't working, my opinion would be the same. I'd rather live and wait this out until there are viable treatments options and/or a vaccine. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    More from the koward of Kentucky, Randy Paul, advocates for his state to open up but doesn’t want to show up for work. What a koward.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/493994-mcconnell-blocks-pauls-proposal-on-emergency-remote-voting

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.