The coronavirus

Comments

• what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Virginia's Governor Northam, aka Governor Blackface, IS a medical doctor. Thank God. 

We were scheduled to "open" back up this week but he postponed it for three more weeks, probably because the bonehead rednecks in the redneck part of the state won't stay home and we can't flatten our curve.
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:

That second hump is exactly aligned with the flu season, so I’m not convinced the interventions had much to do with it or not.

And I believe most protesters just want common sense measure. Not just blindly and willy nilly deciding what people can and can’t do, which several governors seem to have taken as their approach. 
    Counterpoint: I believe the protesters just want an excuse to shoot somebody. While governors are relying on actual experts scientists and professional opinion.

Yeah, I'll believe these people...

...over these any day:

So it was the doctors who said go line up to buy a lottery ticket, but it’s illegal to listen to a church service in your car? 
    The problem is those doctors in that picture aren’t making the decions, and many of the decisions ate not based off any medical or professional advice.
    Some states have restricted lake access to lakeside homes while others allow it as long as its a powerless boat. That to me makes no sense. Michigan has essentially banned all gardening sales and forced stores to block off gardening isles while much of the store still sells non essential items. 90% of Costco isn’t essential, why target gardening and not liquor and lottery sales?
    And that’s the problem, doctors have made none of those decisions. It’s governors or other local officials and much of it makes no sense as to what you can and can’t do or buy. Some governors have gone way overboard.
    Minnesota told people not to visit their summer cabins for a few reasons:
    • travel spreads CV19
    • people who own cabin homes are disproportionately older demographic
    • rural areas are less likely to follow social distancing guidelines because apparently CV19 is 'an urban problem'
    • rural hospitals have less resources and will be easily overwhelmed
    The MN gov actually explained it pretty clearly, wrapping up with, 'more people will die'

Liquor & lottery is essential because can you imagine what will happen to community health if all the gambling addicts and alcoholics can't suddenly get booze or scratchers?  (hint: it's not good)

Gardening hasn't been targeted.  People can still shop online for pickup or delivery.  These are bored old folks who just want to spend hours wandering their local Home Depot (infecting other old folks).

Powerless boats were omitted because kayaks, canoes and sailboats hold less people.  Would you rather all boats were restricted?  

These things all make sense if you just take a moment to think logically.  Or if you listened to the explanations that have clearly been given over and over and over again. 
    I’m not buying any of that (except maybe the wondering Home Depot, but then ban all non essential sales). But then be uniform with that decision, make Costco bam all non essential sales too, and not just Home Depot and gardening. It’s like trying to solve the gun problem by banning all Colts and doing nothing else. Makes no sense.

My parents have a second home and it’s just like you described. They are staying there most of the time because it is rural. When they need supplies the local grocery store is stocked, hasn’t run out of toilet paper, no line to get in, etc. their primary home is just outside Sacramento, much higher rate for cases, stores are crowded. Makes so much more sense for them to stay at their second home.  They drive to the primary home about once every 2 weeks, drive straight there, bring groceries with them and don’t leave once they get there. But they go to mow the lawn, check on things, etc. I see zero reason to not allow that.

Not all boats are massive power boats. Plenty of motor boats are small 2 or 4 person fishing boats. Plenty of sail boats can hold 10+ people. Instead of banning motor boats if that is the reason then wouldn’t it make more sense to limit boat capacity to 2 people? That’s what I mean by the regulations not making sense. If you’re worried about number of people then limit the number of people, not type of boat. 

So people with addictions to scratchers get a free pass during this time and everyone else is told to stay home? Not buying that one. 

I don’t have a problem with liquor stores being open and selling lottery tickets. I do have a problem with the government that allows that also stepping and stopping a church service that several members are listening to via the radio from their car in the parking lot, Parked many feet apart and windows rolled up. 

I have a problem with a father being arrested for playing catch in an empty park, but because you have an addiction to scratchers you can go ahead and line up in a liquor store. Well I have an addiction to quality time with my kids.
    You're talking about anecdotal evidence, when the law of large numbers applies.

The CV19 virus doesn't care if you 'aren't buying it'.

Or more accurately, don't understand:
    It's risk mitigation. Not risk elimination.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    edited April 2020
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:

That second hump is exactly aligned with the flu season, so I’m not convinced the interventions had much to do with it or not.

And I believe most protesters just want common sense measure. Not just blindly and willy nilly deciding what people can and can’t do, which several governors seem to have taken as their approach. 
    Counterpoint: I believe the protesters just want an excuse to shoot somebody. While governors are relying on actual experts scientists and professional opinion.

...over these any day:

So it was the doctors who said go line up to buy a lottery ticket, but it’s illegal to listen to a church service in your car? 
    The problem is those doctors in that picture aren’t making the decions, and many of the decisions ate not based off any medical or professional advice.
    Some states have restricted lake access to lakeside homes while others allow it as long as its a powerless boat. That to me makes no sense. Michigan has essentially banned all gardening sales and forced stores to block off gardening isles while much of the store still sells non essential items. 90% of Costco isn’t essential, why target gardening and not liquor and lottery sales?
    And that’s the problem, doctors have made none of those decisions. It’s governors or other local officials and much of it makes no sense as to what you can and can’t do or buy. Some governors have gone way overboard.
    • travel spreads CV19
    • rural areas are less likely to follow social distancing guidelines because apparently CV19 is 'an urban problem'
    The MN gov actually explained it pretty clearly, wrapping up with, 'more people will die'

Liquor & lottery is essential because can you imagine what will happen to community health if all the gambling addicts and alcoholics can't suddenly get booze or scratchers?  (hint: it's not good)

Gardening hasn't been targeted.  People can still shop online for pickup or delivery.  These are bored old folks who just want to spend hours wandering their local Home Depot (infecting other old folks).

Powerless boats were omitted because kayaks, canoes and sailboats hold less people.  Would you rather all boats were restricted?  

These things all make sense if you just take a moment to think logically.  Or if you listened to the explanations that have clearly been given over and over and over again. 
    I’m not buying any of that (except maybe the wondering Home Depot, but then ban all non essential sales). But then be uniform with that decision, make Costco bam all non essential sales too, and not just Home Depot and gardening. It’s like trying to solve the gun problem by banning all Colts and doing nothing else. Makes no sense.

My parents have a second home and it’s just like you described. They are staying there most of the time because it is rural. When they need supplies the local grocery store is stocked, hasn’t run out of toilet paper, no line to get in, etc. their primary home is just outside Sacramento, much higher rate for cases, stores are crowded. Makes so much more sense for them to stay at their second home.  They drive to the primary home about once every 2 weeks, drive straight there, bring groceries with them and don’t leave once they get there. But they go to mow the lawn, check on things, etc. I see zero reason to not allow that.

Not all boats are massive power boats. Plenty of motor boats are small 2 or 4 person fishing boats. Plenty of sail boats can hold 10+ people. Instead of banning motor boats if that is the reason then wouldn’t it make more sense to limit boat capacity to 2 people? That’s what I mean by the regulations not making sense. If you’re worried about number of people then limit the number of people, not type of boat. 

So people with addictions to scratchers get a free pass during this time and everyone else is told to stay home? Not buying that one. 

I don’t have a problem with liquor stores being open and selling lottery tickets. I do have a problem with the government that allows that also stepping and stopping a church service that several members are listening to via the radio from their car in the parking lot, Parked many feet apart and windows rolled up. 

I have a problem with a father being arrested for playing catch in an empty park, but because you have an addiction to scratchers you can go ahead and line up in a liquor store. Well I have an addiction to quality time with my kids.

So I see instead of trying to explain why if you’re worried about sheer numbers of people on a boat it doesn’t make sense to limit boat capacity and instead just ban certain types of boats that may or may not have a large capacity while allowing other boats that also may or may not have a large capacity and instead just say I don’t understand.

Or don’t bother to explain why it is bad to allow people to practice their religion from their car during the 2 most important weeks in Christianity and instead say but people will be pissed if you don’t let them line up to buy their weekly lottery and see how they act. Yeah? Are they going to be more pissed than the people already protesting?

I just don’t understand how viruses work.
    Gotchya..

My dumb ass just thinks it’s more effective to say no more than 2 people on a boat rather than banning some boats and not others and cross my fingers only small groups happen to be allowed.

But anecdotal and I don’t understand. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    Really, mace, step away for a bit. You need a break. 
    Teachers at my school made one of those cutesy videos you've seen going around. We had to draw a heart with one word we wanted to share with students. This was the heart I drew for them. 
    mace1229 said:
    It's okay. We all have our moments. 

I agree it's hard to make sense of the world right now. It may never make sense, our entire lives. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,871
    edited April 2020
    This is basically how most Canadians are feeling about how things are going in America with all the covid stuff.

Seriously, shocking incompetence and worrying developments. I am concerned for you folks.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,044
    The protesters are definitely ridiculous. It appears that their methods, stopping traffic, gathering in large numbers.....it does more to harm their cause by creating contempt from people who would otherwise remain neutral. 

However, there are some valid concerns regarding the governor's decisions. In Michigan, veterinary clinics are expected to remain open to serve the community but are not allowed to practice any sort of preventive medicine outside of Rabies or Leptospirosis vaccines. Heartworm testing, routine bloodwork, annual exams, parasite prevention and treatment......all have to wait. Actively sick or injured patients can be treated once they have become sick, but veterinarians are not allowed to help prevent them from getting sick in the first place. 

BUT......Petsmart can still give your dog a bath and a nail trim.

That is some backwards ass shit. I'm still not about to take to the streets with a misspelled sign and stand in traffic though. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Posts: 1,019
    pjl44 said:
    Looks like Georgia is reopening gyms, hair salons, restaurants and some other businesses. Interested to see how this goes, especially how many people are willing to patronize right out of the gate.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics/georgia-brian-kemp-reopen-businesses-coronavirus/index.html
    Good luck with this.
    Today Georgia had 1242 new cases and 94 deaths so I'll add a +1 to @josevolution 's Good luck
  • So so so not smart.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,583
    PJ_Soul said:
    This is basically how most Canadians are feeling about how things are going in America with all the covid stuff.

Seriously, shocking incompetence and worrying developments. I am concerned for you folks.

OMG, that is so perfect!  Yes, so many of "We the People" are dumb, dumb, dumb!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Posts: 1,019
    Here in Dallas, masks for everyone are mandatory as of last Saturday because our counties cases are escalating.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    edited April 2020

Post edited by dignin on
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,384
    @rgambs @mickeyrat Chris Cuomo just interviewed your governor, am
    I correct to say that he seems like he is doing a really good job in respect to covid19?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    dignin said:

Yet she has a mask around her neck. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:

...over these any day:

• travel spreads CV19

So I see instead of trying to explain why if you’re worried about sheer numbers of people on a boat it doesn’t make sense to limit boat capacity and instead just ban certain types of boats that may or may not have a large capacity while allowing other boats that also may or may not have a large capacity and instead just say I don’t understand.

Or don’t bother to explain why it is bad to allow people to practice their religion from their car during the 2 most important weeks in Christianity and instead say but people will be pissed if you don’t let them line up to buy their weekly lottery and see how they act. Yeah? Are they going to be more pissed than the people already protesting?

Gotchya..

My dumb ass just thinks it’s more effective to say no more than 2 people on a boat rather than banning some boats and not others and cross my fingers only small groups happen to be allowed.

The Department of Natural Resources has gotten many reports about the heavy use of boat launches across the state, and the congregation of people at the launches.

"In addition, people who use motorized watercraft typically have to procure secondary services for their craft, such as parts and gasoline, that could unnecessarily increase contact with others and spread disease," the DNR said. "The hope is that the prohibition on the use of motorized watercraft will reduce the movement of people within the state and potential contact among people, with the intent of slowing the spread of the coronavirus."

Get it yet?
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:

...over these any day:

• travel spreads CV19

Gotchya..

state officials have argued that lotteries generate essential funding for public services — education, commonly, but also programs for seniors, municipal budgets, and general expenditure — that they can’t afford to forgo, especially right now

Get it yet?
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    edited April 2020
    PJ_Soul said:

It's a lack of leadership. A huge part of the problem is Trump, seriously. One of the worst case scenarios for his "fifth grader BSing his way through a book report the moment it's due" presidency was a major disaster.

The world is full of potential crises, and at some point in the next four years the Trump administration will be faced with a global mega-disaster that will test his presidency. For the Obama administration, the effort to defeat Ebola was just such a test—one that I helped to lead as President Barack Obama’s director for Foreign Disaster Assistance at USAID. And as an emergency manager, the Trump administration’s first month in office leaves me gravely concerned that it may bungle the next major global crisis.

A major new global health crisis is a question of when, not if. Every president dating back at least to Ronald Reagan has dealt with major and unexpected outbreaks—HIV/AIDS, SARS, bird flu, Ebola, Zika... At some point a highly fatal, highly contagious virus will emerge—like the 1918 “Spanish flu” pandemic, which infected one third of the world’s population and killed between 50 and 100 million people.
    This was written in February 2017!
    Post edited by Mike D88 on
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:

...over these any day:

• travel spreads CV19

Gotchya..

The Department of Natural Resources has gotten many reports about the heavy use of boat launches across the state, and the congregation of people at the launches.

"In addition, people who use motorized watercraft typically have to procure secondary services for their craft, such as parts and gasoline, that could unnecessarily increase contact with others and spread disease," the DNR said. "The hope is that the prohibition on the use of motorized watercraft will reduce the movement of people within the state and potential contact among people, with the intent of slowing the spread of the coronavirus."

Get it yet?

I think we’ll just have to disagree. I still think there’s a much more effective way. Powerless boats can still use boat launches.

Close boat launches, limit boat capacity, make boat repair shops non essential and that is going to be more effective. People with private lake access or a dock can still enjoy the outdoors which is good for everyone.

My point that got lost in this debate is some governors have pushed their restrictions too far. And boats are just one of dozens of examples if you don’t agree with me about the boat. I don’t think protesting is the right thing to do right now but I can understand why people are upset.
    People are getting lost in the details. 
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    People are getting lost in the details. 

sure are.

Buh buh buh....Car Sermons!
  • RideRickRideRick Posts: 703
    brianlux said:

...over these any day:

What obscure darkmetal band are they supporting  :D
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,583
    edited April 2020
    RideRick said:
    brianlux said:

...over these any day:

What obscure darkmetal band are they supporting  :D

Hmmm... could it be Dems Scream Death?

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    In Ireland we are coping well enough, I believe. However, most of the people seem to be accepting it's going to be months before we reopen now.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,170
    Mike D88 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

It's a lack of leadership. A huge part of the problem is Trump, seriously. One of the worst case scenarios for his "fifth grader BSing his way through a book report the moment it's due" presidency was a major disaster.

The world is full of potential crises, and at some point in the next four years the Trump administration will be faced with a global mega-disaster that will test his presidency. For the Obama administration, the effort to defeat Ebola was just such a test—one that I helped to lead as President Barack Obama’s director for Foreign Disaster Assistance at USAID. And as an emergency manager, the Trump administration’s first month in office leaves me gravely concerned that it may bungle the next major global crisis.

A major new global health crisis is a question of when, not if. Every president dating back at least to Ronald Reagan has dealt with major and unexpected outbreaks—HIV/AIDS, SARS, bird flu, Ebola, Zika... At some point a highly fatal, highly contagious virus will emerge—like the 1918 “Spanish flu” pandemic, which infected one third of the world’s population and killed between 50 and 100 million people.
    This was written in February 2017!
    Yes we were warned, I met a Republican who gave me a ride to work while Trump was giving a rally in West Palm Beach. He told me back in 2016 that he was scared to death if Trump becomes president. Why, because he was afraid that Trump would be the one to push the nuclear button without giving it a thought. As I was leaving his truck he yelled desperately "vote Hillary", I didn't vote for her.

With this pandemic he has an already made up excuse "I take no responsibility at all". Somewhere down the timeline here he will get his comings. 

My neighbor hates him, why because he stiffed him on a contract job he did for him at him Trump Tower in WPB. Those who had money to fight him in court did then won and those who didn't just got no payments. I think he enjoys stuffing hard working people out of their money. SCHMUCK!

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    @rgambs @mickeyrat Chris Cuomo just interviewed your governor, am
    I correct to say that he seems like he is doing a really good job in respect to covid19?
    He really has been.  We were early adopters (for our timeline) of control measures and the state has been very proactive after starting in deficit situation without testing capacity.
     Ohio is now on it's second Republican governor in a row that makes Trump and most of the rest of the GOP look like blathering idiots.
    He actually reminds me of Obama, which is really sad.  It's sad because I'm reminded of Obama by a Republican for the simple reason that he is not a fucking moron reaching for the hot take.  He's thoughtful, measured, intelligent, and he's walking that hard line between appropriate gravity for  a serious situation and offering messages of hope and resilience.  He's deferring to the experts where appropriate and he's taking responsibility for failures.  It's nice to be reminded that politicians used to be leaders.

Things are going to be opening back up soon, a little too soon, but it will be a soft reopen,  and schools will remain closed for the rest of the school year.  I wish that the small business PPP had been better targeted toward the actual small businesses that need it, because that would ease the pressure to get back open and we could really push the distancing closer to the summer when (please please please) we can hope that COVID-19 has a seasonal lull.

We got our loan (supposedly, we will believe it when the money is actually deposited) so our payroll is covered for 8 weeks, but it's still very disheartening to see millions go to the local guy who owns 5 Wendy's FF joints when they have lines of cars around the building all day every day (God forbid people cook their own food) and nobody is laid off, but the local salons and bookshops and floral boutique, etc missed out due to lack of apparatus to apply effectively.  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
This discussion has been closed.