The coronavirus

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    Saw several posts mocking protesters. Is anyone surprised that is happening? And in many cases, I support the protesters. We have a father being arrested for playing catch in an empty park. Church goers were fined $500 for listening to a sermon in their car via the radio with windows rolled up. Michigan banning gardening sales (although many sources/people will tell you that isn’t true because the ban only prevents stores bigger than 50,000 square feet from selling gardening supplies, but what stores smaller than that sell it and are open?). All while I can stand in line to buy beer and lottery tickets. It’s not about saving lives when a mayor says you can’t listen to a sermon in your car 20 feet away from any other car but then says go ahead and stand in that line to buy a lottery ticket.  And the list of ridiculous bans and enforcement grows every day. 

So if someone wants to protest because their business was shut down or because they got a $500 ticket for listening to a sermon while they watch people line up to buy alcohol across the street, I won’t blame them.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    The CEO of this hospital sent out an email that on the week of the 24th of May every employee will receive a check for $2400 and i week of paid PTO , pretty classy I’d say this hospital is not a state run hospital...
    Very well deserved!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Stay at home.
    Not that difficult to understand.
    I agree that the booze selling is something that should not be considered essential.
    Those people should stay at home too.

The way the people are protesting is idiotic.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,113
    mace1229 said:
    Saw several posts mocking protesters. Is anyone surprised that is happening? And in many cases, I support the protesters. We have a father being arrested for playing catch in an empty park. Church goers were fined $500 for listening to a sermon in their car via the radio with windows rolled up. Michigan banning gardening sales (although many sources/people will tell you that isn’t true because the ban only prevents stores bigger than 50,000 square feet from selling gardening supplies, but what stores smaller than that sell it and are open?). All while I can stand in line to buy beer and lottery tickets. It’s not about saving lives when a mayor says you can’t listen to a sermon in your car 20 feet away from any other car but then says go ahead and stand in that line to buy a lottery ticket.  And the list of ridiculous bans and enforcement grows every day. 

So if someone wants to protest because their business was shut down or because they got a $500 ticket for listening to a sermon while they watch people line up to buy alcohol across the street, I won’t blame them.
    They definitely have legitimate gripes, but I think the way they went about it is counterproductive. Blocking streets, big crowds, etc. Takes the attention away from the crazy stuff you referenced and puts it squarely on their actions. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mace1229 said:

I think you are lending your thinking brain to some real empty heads.  If you watch these protests they are full of people without 2 brain cells to rub together.
    Just another opportunity to strap on the retail tactical gear and stick it to the libs.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:

I think you are lending your thinking brain to some real empty heads.  If you watch these protests they are full of people without 2 brain cells to rub together.
    Just another opportunity to strap on the retail tactical gear and stick it to the libs.

yup.  We are not hearing any well reasoned debates from these yahoos.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,059
    mace1229 said:
    cutz said:
    Did anyone ask him what sort of person sells 150 units to a single customer?
    Exactly.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,286
    Fighting for that Swedish freedom, like democratic primary voters should have

Not all heroes wear capes if I was there I’d be standing 6’ from him in unity as for that vile idiot that passes for a woman is a creep all of this is the Baffoons fault !
    I agree with the first part. But saying people like this woman didn’t exist before 2016 is just not true 
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:

They definitely have legitimate gripes, but I think the way they went about it is counterproductive. Blocking streets, big crowds, etc. Takes the attention away from the crazy stuff you referenced and puts it squarely on their actions. 
    I agree with your point. But have you ever seen an effective protest that consists of 2 or 3 people spread out? If they weren’t doing that stuff no one would take. Price. By doing it they are putting the attention on them and not the protest. Catch 22 I guess.
    CM189191 said:

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    pjl44 said:
    CM189191 said:

Hahaha both hilarious!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    nicknyr15 said:
    Fighting for that Swedish freedom, like democratic primary voters should have

Not all heroes wear capes if I was there I’d be standing 6’ from him in unity as for that vile idiot that passes for a woman is a creep all of this is the Baffoons fault !
    I agree with the first part. But saying people like this woman didn’t exist before 2016 is just not true 
    I didn’t say that only that it’s the Baffoons fault he’s instigating it every day! Yeah racist like her have been around for as long as this country has been around ..

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:

I agree with your point. But have you ever seen an effective protest that consists of 2 or 3 people spread out? If they weren’t doing that stuff no one would take. Price. By doing it they are putting the attention on them and not the protest. Catch 22 I guess.

Thousands of Israelis protest against Netanyahu, two meters apart
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/middleeast/israel-protest-social-distancing-intl/index.html
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:

At a bare minimum, I'd say don't block roads and cover your faces. I agree that it would be tricky to properly distance. 
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    edited April 2020
    Edit: My post was no-longer timely.

We don't know what the crazed woman in Colorado is going through (job loss, etc.). But we do know that what the medical professionals are going through is harrowing and if they see these protests as amounting to "heighten the curve and bring more people to the hospitals" I don't blame them. Kudos to this guy.  And it's courageous...because I would not have been surprised if the driver had just floored it.  (and then been acquitted).
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,832
    edited April 2020
    Edit: My post was responding to a post that was deemed no longer timely.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,543
    edited April 2020
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Deleted before typing
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    It appears many of us were going to respond to posts that got edited :)
  • ICDragonsICDragons Posts: 39
    Haven’t read all of this thread but anyone talk about the positive environmental impact of Covid-19?

its an upside.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    nicknyr15 said:

The State of Minnesota is constructing gas chambers right now. 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:

I’ve seen far more examples of protests without the use of any gear. Many more are using their cars to social distance or holding up signs.
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/middleeast/israel-protest-social-distancing-intl/index.html
    While I’ve seen examples of people not doing that, I’ve seen more examples of people following social distancing while protesting too. That’s why people are protesting from their cars. And on the streets most of the time it looks like small groups of 2 or 3 spread out, which I assume to small group are from the same household. So again social distancing. Not all, but it seems like most.
    And I don’t blame them, if I had a business that was about to go under and lose my way of living that I thought could be saved, I’d probably protest too.
    There seems to be very little thought and reason into what is considered essential or not.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    “SEEMS to be very little thought” 
    ICDragons said:
    Haven’t read all of this thread but anyone talk about the positive environmental impact of Covid-19?

its an upside.
    It's temporary so any impact will be negligible in the long run. Also, if I were an environmental activist, I'd be careful about associating upside with a time when people are sick, miserable, and/or suffering financially. 
    pjl44 said:
    ICDragons said:

its an upside.
    It's temporary so any impact will be negligible in the long run. Also, if I were an environmental activist, I'd be careful about associating upside with a time when people are sick, miserable, and/or suffering financially. 
    The morning news said there was a record number of sea turtles laying eggs on the beach because of the virus. I though exactly what you just said. 
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:

While I’ve seen examples of people not doing that, I’ve seen more examples of people following social distancing while protesting too. That’s why people are protesting from their cars. And on the streets most of the time it looks like small groups of 2 or 3 spread out, which I assume to small group are from the same household. So again social distancing. Not all, but it seems like most.
    And I don’t blame them, if I had a business that was about to go under and lose my way of living that I thought could be saved, I’d probably protest too.
    There seems to be very little thought and reason into what is considered essential or not.

I completely agree.  There are a lot of people who think they a essential, when there are plenty of reasons why they are not.  Must be a real blow to the ego when people realize they are expendable to a functioning society.  
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    ICDragons said:

its an upside.
    The morning news said there was a record number of sea turtles laying eggs on the beach because of the virus. I though exactly what you just said. 
    Whatever is being saved in one regards, is being destroyed in another. The amount of personal waste being generated right now has to be astronomical. All of the masks, plastics and everything else being used to disinfect and clean is going straight to landfills. Yes, animals are probably getting a little more freedom these days though so I guess that is a bonus. Might also just mean more inadvertent deaths from cars and people once the battles resumes between the beasts (human and wild).
This discussion has been closed.