The coronavirus

Comments

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    Colorado will be loosening up soon, too. Hopefully news outlets will start reporting by region instead of constantly presenting "US" numbers. Some parts of the country are in a better position to do this than others. My fear is that people in hotter spots will see this and start getting antsy, even though they're in a much more precarious spot.

https://www.cpr.org/2020/04/20/as-colorado-stay-at-home-order-nears-end-gov-polis-outlines-new-phase-of-coronavirus-marathon/
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Some positive news: LabCorp granted emergency use authorization for at-home tests. Will initially be made available to healthcare workers and first responders and "in the coming weeks" to consumers.

@brianlux, I regret to inform you that it is a nasal swab.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200421005452/en/LabCorp-COVID-19-At-Home-Test-Kit-Receives-FDA
     Interesting. I would like to see their validity data. It's not easy to do a nasopharyngeal swab on yourself. Done correctly, it's a painful procedure, and done incorrectly you won't get a useful sample. I would be concerned about a high rate of false negatives with this. 
    I wondered about that, too. But LabCorp is legit so I imagine/think/hope they know what they're doing. 
    I want to see their data. I’m not sure I’ll have time today to look for it but I’ll try. 
    The directions, too. Hopefully it's not just a gif of The Joker's pencil trick.
    So far it’s just all kittens and rainbows and flowers, but no data. Aren’t they obligated to publish this stuff? 

I have learned that the at home test is only a nasal swab, not nasopharyngeal, because the NP swab is “too uncomfortable”. What that change does to accuracy, they don’t say. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Some positive news: LabCorp granted emergency use authorization for at-home tests. Will initially be made available to healthcare workers and first responders and "in the coming weeks" to consumers.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200421005452/en/LabCorp-COVID-19-At-Home-Test-Kit-Receives-FDA
     Interesting. I would like to see their validity data. It's not easy to do a nasopharyngeal swab on yourself. Done correctly, it's a painful procedure, and done incorrectly you won't get a useful sample. I would be concerned about a high rate of false negatives with this. 
    I wondered about that, too. But LabCorp is legit so I imagine/think/hope they know what they're doing. 
    I want to see their data. I’m not sure I’ll have time today to look for it but I’ll try. 
    So far it’s just all kittens and rainbows and flowers, but no data. Aren’t they obligated to publish this stuff? 

I have learned that the at home test is only a nasal swab, not nasopharyngeal, because the NP swab is “too uncomfortable”. What that change does to accuracy, they don’t say. 
    I guess we just have to trust the FDA thumbs up? Maybe you have to look at it similarly to Rx vs OTC drugs. Rx comes with a PI where you can see efficacy data. That same drug goes OTC and it's just directions for use, contraindications, etc. Unless they want to tout the accuracy (like pregnancy tests), do at-home tests generally publish that data publicly?
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    How long are some of you willing to be locked down for? As long as it takes? 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:

That second hump is exactly aligned with the flu season, so I’m not convinced the interventions had much to do with it or not.

And I believe most protesters just want common sense measure. Not just blindly and willy nilly deciding what people can and can’t do, which several governors seem to have taken as their approach. 
    Counterpoint: I believe the protesters just want an excuse to shoot somebody. While governors are relying on actual experts scientists and professional opinion.

Yeah, I'll believe these people...

...over these any day:

So it was the doctors who said go line up to buy a lottery ticket, but it’s illegal to listen to a church service in your car? 
    The problem is those doctors in that picture aren’t making the decions, and many of the decisions ate not based off any medical or professional advice.
    Some states have restricted lake access to lakeside homes while others allow it as long as its a powerless boat. That to me makes no sense. Michigan has essentially banned all gardening sales and forced stores to block off gardening isles while much of the store still sells non essential items. 90% of Costco isn’t essential, why target gardening and not liquor and lottery sales?
    And that’s the problem, doctors have made none of those decisions. It’s governors or other local officials and much of it makes no sense as to what you can and can’t do or buy. Some governors have gone way overboard.
    Minnesota told people not to visit their summer cabins for a few reasons:
    • travel spreads CV19
    • people who own cabin homes are disproportionately older demographic
    • rural areas are less likely to follow social distancing guidelines because apparently CV19 is 'an urban problem'
    • rural hospitals have less resources and will be easily overwhelmed
    The MN gov actually explained it pretty clearly, wrapping up with, 'more people will die'

Liquor & lottery is essential because can you imagine what will happen to community health if all the gambling addicts and alcoholics can't suddenly get booze or scratchers?  (hint: it's not good)

Gardening hasn't been targeted.  People can still shop online for pickup or delivery.  These are bored old folks who just want to spend hours wandering their local Home Depot (infecting other old folks).

Powerless boats were omitted because kayaks, canoes and sailboats hold less people.  Would you rather all boats were restricted?  

These things all make sense if you just take a moment to think logically.  Or if you listened to the explanations that have clearly been given over and over and over again. 
    I’m not buying any of that (except maybe the wondering Home Depot, but then ban all non essential sales). But then be uniform with that decision, make Costco bam all non essential sales too, and not just Home Depot and gardening. It’s like trying to solve the gun problem by banning all Colts and doing nothing else. Makes no sense.

My parents have a second home and it’s just like you described. They are staying there most of the time because it is rural. When they need supplies the local grocery store is stocked, hasn’t run out of toilet paper, no line to get in, etc. their primary home is just outside Sacramento, much higher rate for cases, stores are crowded. Makes so much more sense for them to stay at their second home.  They drive to the primary home about once every 2 weeks, drive straight there, bring groceries with them and don’t leave once they get there. But they go to mow the lawn, check on things, etc. I see zero reason to not allow that.

Not all boats are massive power boats. Plenty of motor boats are small 2 or 4 person fishing boats. Plenty of sail boats can hold 10+ people. Instead of banning motor boats if that is the reason then wouldn’t it make more sense to limit boat capacity to 2 people? That’s what I mean by the regulations not making sense. If you’re worried about number of people then limit the number of people, not type of boat. 

So people with addictions to scratchers get a free pass during this time and everyone else is told to stay home? Not buying that one. 

I don’t have a problem with liquor stores being open and selling lottery tickets. I do have a problem with the government that allows that also stepping and stopping a church service that several members are listening to via the radio from their car in the parking lot, Parked many feet apart and windows rolled up. 

I have a problem with a father being arrested for playing catch in an empty park, but because you have an addiction to scratchers you can go ahead and line up in a liquor store. Well I have an addiction to quality time with my kids.
    You're talking about anecdotal evidence, when the law of large numbers applies.

The CV19 virus doesn't care if you 'aren't buying it'.

Or more accurately, don't understand:
    It's risk mitigation. Not risk elimination.

So I see instead of trying to explain why if you’re worried about sheer numbers of people on a boat it doesn’t make sense to limit boat capacity and instead just ban certain types of boats that may or may not have a large capacity while allowing other boats that also may or may not have a large capacity and instead just say I don’t understand.

Or don’t bother to explain why it is bad to allow people to practice their religion from their car during the 2 most important weeks in Christianity and instead say but people will be pissed if you don’t let them line up to buy their weekly lottery and see how they act. Yeah? Are they going to be more pissed than the people already protesting?

I just don’t understand how viruses work.
    Gotchya..

My dumb ass just thinks it’s more effective to say no more than 2 people on a boat rather than banning some boats and not others and cross my fingers only small groups happen to be allowed.

But anecdotal and I don’t understand. 
    The Department of Natural Resources has gotten many reports about the heavy use of boat launches across the state, and the congregation of people at the launches.

"In addition, people who use motorized watercraft typically have to procure secondary services for their craft, such as parts and gasoline, that could unnecessarily increase contact with others and spread disease," the DNR said. "The hope is that the prohibition on the use of motorized watercraft will reduce the movement of people within the state and potential contact among people, with the intent of slowing the spread of the coronavirus."

Get it yet?

I think we’ll just have to disagree. I still think there’s a much more effective way. Powerless boats can still use boat launches.

Close boat launches, limit boat capacity, make boat repair shops non essential and that is going to be more effective. People with private lake access or a dock can still enjoy the outdoors which is good for everyone.

My point that got lost in this debate is some governors have pushed their restrictions too far. And boats are just one of dozens of examples if you don’t agree with me about the boat. I don’t think protesting is the right thing to do right now but I can understand why people are upset.

Maybe pictures will help:

I, nor anyone else on here that I saw, ever suggested business as usual. So no, this picture does not help.
    There is a lot of area between arresting a dad for playing catch and business as usual.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,384
    Nj has more confirmed cases than China, my family and  I are good for as long as it takes. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,197
    I wouldn’t describe my experience as being “locked down.” However, I’m anticipating working from home through June and social distancing through May, although there’s talk of a phase one re-opening the second week of May. I don’t know what that consists of, however. Public school distance learning and cancellation of all other school activities is a foregone conclusion. I’m willing to go for as long as it takes until there’s widespread testing and isolation of those infected and until they have a better understanding of all of the potential health affects of the virus. Until then, I’m okay with staying home and limiting my contact to family.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    As long as it takes to make sure everyone is safe. I think my boss has realized that I actually work better from home, so I think that will change once this is over. I may only have to go into the office once a week for meetings.

I obviously want this to be over, but I'd rather let the scientists and doctors do their jobs before rushing out to watch a baseball game or concert. It sucks, but it beats the hell out of the alternative.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,832
    I wouldn’t describe my experience as being “locked down.” However, I’m anticipating working from home through June and social distancing through May, although there’s talk of a phase one re-opening the second week of May. I don’t know what that consists of, however. Public school distance learning and cancellation of all other school activities is a foregone conclusion. I’m willing to go for as long as it takes until there’s widespread testing and isolation of those infected and until they have a better understanding of all of the potential health affects of the virus. Until then, I’m okay with staying home and limiting my contact to family.
    I'm going to request to continue working from home. Now that we've proven that it's not only possible but that we absolutely crush it when doing so, I really don't see how they can say no. 

Other than the homeschooling stuff, which I'm really working on convincing my wife and kids is totally unnecessary (because it is), and being the designated errand runner, life has been awesome for me this past four to six weeks. The best way to live among Massholes is to never have to personally interact with Massholes; even most Massholes will tell you that.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    I'm going to request to continue working from home. Now that we've proven that it's not only possible but that we absolutely crush it when doing so, I really don't see how they can say no. 

Other than the homeschooling stuff, which I'm really working on convincing my wife and kids is totally unnecessary (because it is), and being the designated errand runner, life has been awesome for me this past four to six weeks. The best way to live among Massholes is to never have to personally interact with Massholes; even most Massholes will tell you that.
    I'll be requesting it as well if it isn't presented as an alternative. I actually really enjoy it & I'm a lot more efficient with my time. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,583

As long as it takes or until I go completely bonkers and jump off the Tallahatchie Bridge.

Nahhh, as long as it takes.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    mfc2006 said:
    dankind said:

I'll be requesting it as well if it isn't presented as an alternative. I actually really enjoy it & I'm a lot more efficient with my time. 
    I've worked from home for 13 years. Getting a kick out of everyone's sudden realization that it's the best thing ever. Cube farms suck.
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    brianlux said:

As long as it takes or until I go completely bonkers and jump off the Tallahatchie Bridge.

Set a few crawfish traps in the Tallahatchie instead. ;)
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,515
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:

That second hump is exactly aligned with the flu season, so I’m not convinced the interventions had much to do with it or not.

And I believe most protesters just want common sense measure. Not just blindly and willy nilly deciding what people can and can’t do, which several governors seem to have taken as their approach. 
    look closer at the graph, it's adjusted for normal flu deaths

1918 flu second wave much deadlier than the first.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,059
    Swedish meme I translated for you

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    CM189191 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    dankind said:

I've worked from home for 13 years. Getting a kick out of everyone's sudden realization that it's the best thing ever. Cube farms suck.
    I've worked from home off and on over the last 10 years or so, but it had been a little while since I did it. I had forgotten how much I love it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,384
    edited April 2020
    Image may contain text
    I guess NJ has "flattened" the curve however 3,643 new cases today is still way too much.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......

At least 28,000 more people have died during the coronavirus pandemic over the last month than the official Covid-19 death counts report, a review of mortality data in 11 countries shows — providing a clearer, if still incomplete, picture of the toll of the crisis.

In the last month, far more people died in these countries than in previous years, The New York Times found. The totals include deaths from Covid-19 as well as those from other causes, likely including people who could not be treated as hospitals became overwhelmed.

Sweden and Belgium seems pretty good with their reporting of corona related deaths.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,583
    JW269453 said:
    brianlux said:

Set a few crawfish traps in the Tallahatchie instead. ;)

LOL, there ya go!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,635
    an fda approved home test.....

F.D.A. Authorizes First In-Home Test for Coronavirus https://nyti.ms/2KsQcfr

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • KatKat Posts: 4,831
    Why are government officials telling citizens to go back to work but they're still staying at home? Are citizens supposed to be the canary in the coal mine? I think the pols should go back to work to work first...be leaders, all you politicians. If it's safe, citizens will go back to work later. :tongue:
    Falling down,...not staying down
    An article in the Guardian gives a case study of one French child who tested positive but did not infect any of the more than 170 people he was in contact with, potentially giving some weight to the theory that children may be both less severely affected and less likely to infect others. 

edited April 2020
    An article in the Guardian gives a case study of one French child who tested positive but did not infect any of the more than 170 people he was in contact with, potentially giving some weight to the theory that children may be both less severely affected and less likely to infect others. 

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

I guess we just have to trust the FDA thumbs up? Maybe you have to look at it similarly to Rx vs OTC drugs. Rx comes with a PI where you can see efficacy data. That same drug goes OTC and it's just directions for use, contraindications, etc. Unless they want to tout the accuracy (like pregnancy tests), do at-home tests generally publish that data publicly?
    I don’t know that that’s a good comparison, because if a medication goes off patent or becomes OTC, it’s still the same active ingredient ingested in exactly the same way, whereas this home test kit has at the least a different swabbing strategy, untrained vs trained administrator, and uncontrolled storage and shipping conditions. It needs its own data. 
  • The FDA that is approving the home test is the same FDA that said it is unlikely to catch the virus from food delivery?
    The same FDA that put bread, cereal, pasta on the food pyramid?  That pushed Milk on the country as a crucial part of our diets?

Motivated by money.  I'm sure they do many fine things and I would rather have some testing vs no testing by a governing body, but I am always suspicious of the FDA 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    The FDA that is approving the home test is the same FDA that said it is unlikely to catch the virus from food delivery?
    The same FDA that put bread, cereal, pasta on the food pyramid?  That pushed Milk on the country as a crucial part of our diets?

Motivated by money.  I'm sure they do many fine things and I would rather have some testing vs no testing by a governing body, but I am always suspicious of the FDA 
    Wait you mean people don’t actually need what baby cow’s need? 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,046
    edited April 2020
    static111 said:
    The FDA that is approving the home test is the same FDA that said it is unlikely to catch the virus from food delivery?

Yeah, we aren't meant to grow to be one thousand pounds, although some give it the old college try 

Is it likely to catch the virus from food delivery?
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:

Yeah, we aren't meant to grow to be one thousand pounds, although some give it the old college try 
    Maybe they are trying to grow the extra stomachs they need to process cow food.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,046
    edited April 2020

Is it likely to catch the virus from food delivery?
    I think that depends on who carries the box up and puts it on your porch.  Or who sneezes on the box.
    I just feel they are pushing that, in spite of what many other reports are, to help restaurants keep some business going though delivery.  

And, I get that desire.  But, I am suspicious of their motive 
    I have not (and will not) order anything I don't cook and or quarantine for a period of time 

In for a penny, in for a pound 
This discussion has been closed.