The coronavirus

Comments

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,113
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    ICDragons said:
    Haven’t read all of this thread but anyone talk about the positive environmental impact of Covid-19?

its an upside.
    It's temporary so any impact will be negligible in the long run. Also, if I were an environmental activist, I'd be careful about associating upside with a time when people are sick, miserable, and/or suffering financially. 
    The morning news said there was a record number of sea turtles laying eggs on the beach because of the virus. I though exactly what you just said. 
    I'm sure it was a beautiful scene

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,543
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    ICDragons said:
    Haven’t read all of this thread but anyone talk about the positive environmental impact of Covid-19?

its an upside.
    It's temporary so any impact will be negligible in the long run. Also, if I were an environmental activist, I'd be careful about associating upside with a time when people are sick, miserable, and/or suffering financially. 
    The morning news said there was a record number of sea turtles laying eggs on the beach because of the virus. I though exactly what you just said. 

Now that, is hilarious! Haha!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • ICDragonsICDragons Posts: 39
    I definitely understand that this is only temporary.

Just pointing out that the virus can be seen as environmentally friendly. 

Humans are most certainly not.
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    ICDragons said:

its an upside.
    Whatever is being saved in one regards, is being destroyed in another. The amount of personal waste being generated right now has to be astronomical. All of the masks, plastics and everything else being used to disinfect and clean is going straight to landfills. Yes, animals are probably getting a little more freedom these days though so I guess that is a bonus. Might also just mean more inadvertent deaths from cars and people once the battles resumes between the beasts (human and wild).
    Yeah, to your point auto claims are way down and most insurers are offering refunds and credits.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2020/04/16/coronavirus-relief-how-get-your-car-insurance-refunds/2990448001/
    edited April 2020
    Which took longer: The first pro-virus commenter here or the first pro-Trump commenter in the election thread?
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659
    nicknyr15 said:
    Fighting for that Swedish freedom, like democratic primary voters should have

Not all heroes wear capes if I was there I’d be standing 6’ from him in unity as for that vile idiot that passes for a woman is a creep all of this is the Baffoons fault !
    I agree with the first part. But saying people like this woman didn’t exist before 2016 is just not true 
    I didn’t say that only that it’s the Baffoons fault he’s instigating it every day! Yeah racist like her have been around for as long as this country has been around ..

Racists have been around forever and well hidden for the last 50 years or so.
    But the current regime allows and encourages racists, xenophobes, white nationalists,  white supremacists to be loud and proud .

And as long as people support and vote for the current regime the racists will continue to emboldened. 
  • ICDragonsICDragons Posts: 39
    How about this

the positive effect of Covid-19 on the economy 

it’s a two for...

environmental and stopping Trump from being re elected!

• 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,071
    23scidoo said:

What do you mean "money over humans" ?

You can't stop the care of the elders. And there is a severe lack of protective gear the world over.

The Public Health Agency does not have money as a metric unless it is a factor affecting public health - and politicians follow the Pubich Health Agency in Sweden.
    I mean, kids must go to schools, so their parents can work..bars, restaurants open so money can move..

Sweden population,  10.23 million people
    first case, 31 January
    confirmed cases, 14777
    first death, 11 March
    confirmed deaths, 1580

Greece population  10.72 million people
    first case, 26 February
    confirmed cases, 2245
    first death, 12 March
    confirmed deaths, 116

the numbers are talk my friend..
    i don't think we have better health system than Sweden or better state..
    so, something is wrong there..
    no friction yeah??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Saw several posts mocking protesters. Is anyone surprised that is happening? And in many cases, I support the protesters. We have a father being arrested for playing catch in an empty park. Church goers were fined $500 for listening to a sermon in their car via the radio with windows rolled up. Michigan banning gardening sales (although many sources/people will tell you that isn’t true because the ban only prevents stores bigger than 50,000 square feet from selling gardening supplies, but what stores smaller than that sell it and are open?). All while I can stand in line to buy beer and lottery tickets. It’s not about saving lives when a mayor says you can’t listen to a sermon in your car 20 feet away from any other car but then says go ahead and stand in that line to buy a lottery ticket.  And the list of ridiculous bans and enforcement grows every day. 

So if someone wants to protest because their business was shut down or because they got a $500 ticket for listening to a sermon while they watch people line up to buy alcohol across the street, I won’t blame them.
    They definitely have legitimate gripes, but I think the way they went about it is counterproductive. Blocking streets, big crowds, etc. Takes the attention away from the crazy stuff you referenced and puts it squarely on their actions. 
    I agree with your point. But have you ever seen an effective protest that consists of 2 or 3 people spread out? If they weren’t doing that stuff no one would take. Price. By doing it they are putting the attention on them and not the protest. Catch 22 I guess.

Thousands of Israelis protest against Netanyahu, two meters apart
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/middleeast/israel-protest-social-distancing-intl/index.html
    While I’ve seen examples of people not doing that, I’ve seen more examples of people following social distancing while protesting too. That’s why people are protesting from their cars. And on the streets most of the time it looks like small groups of 2 or 3 spread out, which I assume to small group are from the same household. So again social distancing. Not all, but it seems like most.
    And I don’t blame them, if I had a business that was about to go under and lose my way of living that I thought could be saved, I’d probably protest too.
    There seems to be very little thought and reason into what is considered essential or not.

I completely agree.  There are a lot of people who think they a essential, when there are plenty of reasons why they are not.  Must be a real blow to the ego when people realize they are expendable to a functioning society.  

I am nothing if not non-essential.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    edited April 2020
    Now they’re protesting in Harrisburg, PA (my state). Looks like hundreds of people 

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1252258312185405440?s=21

This shot is just in front of the capital. But they’re lining the street that leads to it. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Beaches reopening is blowing my mind..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    ICDragons said:

its an upside.

Now that, is hilarious! Haha!
    the facial expression is fantastic!
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Does anybody else automatically think "crackpot dumbass" every time they see a Don't Tread on Me flag?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Fighting for that Swedish freedom, like democratic primary voters should have

this woman is the mother of all karens. the one you have to fight when you have vanquished all of the others.

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,832
    rgambs said:
    Does anybody else automatically think "crackpot dumbass" every time they see a Don't Tread on Me flag?
    I always just think of Mexico's flag, which is a blatant "fuck you" to the old "don't tread on me" US flag.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    Fighting for that Swedish freedom, like democratic primary voters should have

this woman is the mother of all karens. the one you have to fight when you have vanquished all of the others.
    She would kill someone for the last roll of toilet paper..

jesus greets me looks just like me ....

• "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

• rgambs said:
    i typically think of someone who is raging against the government while being on some sort of government assistance. food stamps, medicare/medicaid, on disability, etc. angry at the world, angry at the government. blaming the government for their lot in life while holding they hand open for government assistance. the top of the chain of hypocrites.

• rgambs said:
    i typically think of someone who is raging against the government while being on some sort of government assistance. food stamps, medicare/medicaid, on disability, etc. angry at the world, angry at the government. blaming the government for their lot in life while holding they hand open for government assistance. the top of the chain of hypocrites.
    I laughed out loud at this.  And, agreed.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    When they say Trump has enabled bigots, it's across a much wider spectrum than most people realize 
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    mace1229 said:
    Saw several posts mocking protesters. Is anyone surprised that is happening? And in many cases, I support the protesters. We have a father being arrested for playing catch in an empty park. Church goers were fined $500 for listening to a sermon in their car via the radio with windows rolled up. Michigan banning gardening sales (although many sources/people will tell you that isn’t true because the ban only prevents stores bigger than 50,000 square feet from selling gardening supplies, but what stores smaller than that sell it and are open?). All while I can stand in line to buy beer and lottery tickets. It’s not about saving lives when a mayor says you can’t listen to a sermon in your car 20 feet away from any other car but then says go ahead and stand in that line to buy a lottery ticket.  And the list of ridiculous bans and enforcement grows every day. 

So if someone wants to protest because their business was shut down or because they got a $500 ticket for listening to a sermon while they watch people line up to buy alcohol across the street, I won’t blame them.
    This might all be well and good if the protests weren't all being organized by one rich family that's more concerned with political football than public safety or the economy.
    pjl44 said:
    At a bare minimum, I'd say don't block roads and cover your faces. I agree that it would be tricky to properly distance. 
    These chuds usually wear balaclavas to protect their identities. But doing that now that would be giving in to (((the MSM))), I guess.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    rgambs said:
    First thought, Metallica.
    Second thought, Gary Busey in Black Sheep.
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    rgambs said:
    Close:
    'crackpot dumbass racist'
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    JW269453 said:
    rgambs said:
    First thought, Metallica.
    Same. I never even knew it was a saying. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    rgambs said:

I think of Metallica.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,583
    I get freaked out every time I see one of those Coronavirus testing illustrations.  If it meant living on rice and catsup for months on end, I would avoid going out just to not have to have that test administered.  I hope they come up with something less painfully invasive.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    I get freaked out every time I see one of those Coronavirus testing illustrations.  If it meant living on rice and catsup for months on end, I would avoid going out just to not have to have that test administered.  I hope they come up with something less painfully invasive.
    I'm with you. Hopefully I can avoid it until the saliva or blood tests are more widespread. With my luck I'd get the Waco Kid coming at me with that footlong swab.

• "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,583
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    I'm with you. Hopefully I can avoid it until the saliva or blood tests are more widespread. With my luck I'd get the Waco Kid coming at me with that footlong swab.

My wife thinks I'm crazy to say this but I'd much rather have blood drawn  or be poked with a needle than to have a swab shoved up my face!   A saliva test would be best- I didn't know that is something they're working on.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    Your wife’s crazy. I don’t want anything further into my nose than my finger can reach. 
This discussion has been closed.