The coronavirus

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,582
    dankind said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I guess redneck white trash is an acceptable slur here. 
    Just this thread's most recent example of Here’s Why People I've Decided to Hate Deserve to Die. It will probably crest in a couple weeks when a bunch of these people actually get sick.
    I do not hate anyone. I’ve never hated anyone. 

Love and only love....

I’m merely pointing out a proven scientific theory that we happen to see unfolding before our very eyes. Natural selection. 

I grew up a Florida redneck cracker on a farm surrounded by other rednecks with their own farms. I learned to shoot a gun before I learned my ABC’s. Then later, I was a Florida swamp rat cracker, fishing among the gators, water moccasins and snapping turtles for specs, bluegill, and the occasional bigmouth bass so that we could eat. Hell, we even trapped the occasional armadillo for stew. I could’ve been a coauthor of White Trash Cooking

So I grew up with and love (and continue to love) many rednecks who are very similar to those taking part in these protests. But that love doesn’t in any way prevent me from observing an obvious trait (ignorance) shared among these folks that may ultimately lead to their self-inflicted demise (or the demise of those close to them).

Well said!

This all reminds me that Edward Abbey once wrote an excellent essay called "In Defense of the Redneck" in which he defended some the characteristics of people regarded as "rednecks".  But he also criticized some aspects of the natural born redneck as well as what he called "instant rednecks"- wealthy people who come from the city and move to a rural area and buy a hobby farm. In any case, I doubt Abbey would not have defended the act of people protesting COVID-19 in large groups without even using face protection.  I am certain he would have characterized them as stupid

As it always has, Natural Selection will have its way.  That's probably why we have COVID-19, and unless more of our species begins to cultivate our intelligence better and start paying attention to Mother Nature's ways, we will continue to have pandemics and other incidents that will continue to cull our herds.  

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,113
    dankind said:
    Keep protesting together, rednecks, nice and tight like. 

Natural selection at work, folks. 
    If this is directed at people that you love...man, I don't know 
  • i don't have old cars on the property.

can i still be redneck white trash? i really wanna be, because what i am now really isn't working out that well comparatively.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,832
    pjl44 said:
    dankind said:

What don’t you know? Ask, and I’ll answer. 

I’ve already counted members of my family, including my mother, among the dead because of their ignorance. It might happen; it might not. But I’ve preemptively started to grieve for them. 

My frustrations and feelings of helplessness bury themselves under a shell of cynicism. It’s my best defense. Apologies if it came off otherwise. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • i don't have old cars on the property.

can i still be redneck white trash? i really wanna be, because what i am now really isn't working out that well comparatively.
    :lol:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,197
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    The original American insult
    Ummmm, sure. Sure it is.
    Historically when they first started colonizing England looked at the colonies as a place to put their “waste people” and “trash people” so in a lot of ways it is
    Ummmm, no, it’s not the original “American insult.” 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,635

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    The original American insult
    Ummmm, sure. Sure it is.
    Historically when they first started colonizing England looked at the colonies as a place to put their “waste people” and “trash people” so in a lot of ways it is
    Ummmm, no, it’s not the original “American insult.” 
    I didn’t say it’s the worst
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    bbiggs said:
    I saw a stat yesterday that alcohol sales were up ~55% in the month of March.  Staying at home = higher alcohol intake.
    Or people were just spending double the amount on expensive bar tabs for the same amount of alcohol
    bbiggs said:
    I saw a stat yesterday that alcohol sales were up ~55% in the month of March.  Staying at home = higher alcohol intake.
    Or people were just spending double the amount on expensive bar tabs for the same amount of alcohol
    good news is the dui stops have likely dropped significantly...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,046
    edited April 2020
    mickeyrat said:
    bbiggs said:
    good news is the dui stops have likely dropped significantly...
    Had not thought of that.  I actually think DUIs are a good thing.  Drunk driving is bad and I agree that it must be way down.
    (Police are not serious about stopping drunk driving in any real sense.  Perhaps people will get out of the habit of driving drunk and treat it more seriously when things open up.  One can hope.)
  • bbiggs said:
    i haven't had a drink in a month.

i'm a social drinker though, and the isolation has kept me from the people i normally knock back a few with. i kind of like not being hungover on the weekends. the money i would normally spend on beers at bars has gone to food. so i am gonna gain that corona 15, unfortunately.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    dankind said:
    pjl44 said:
    dankind said:

I’ve already counted members of my family, including my mother, among the dead because of their ignorance. It might happen; it might not. But I’ve preemptively started to grieve for them. 

My frustrations and feelings of helplessness bury themselves under a shell of cynicism. It’s my best defense. Apologies if it came off otherwise. 
    Fair enough. My mother-in-law tested positive earlier this week so I have a bit of a raw nerve with the cynicism. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,046
    edited April 2020
    pjl44 said:
    dankind said:
    pjl44 said:
    dankind said:

Fair enough. My mother-in-law tested positive earlier this week so I have a bit of a raw nerve with the cynicism. 
    I hope she does well with it and is not one who needs extensive treatment.
    I certainly don't hope my mil gets it but I fear it is a manner of time because she is pretty much an idiot who isn't understanding the risk.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    pjl44 said:
    dankind said:
    pjl44 said:
    dankind said:

I hope she does well with it and is not one who needs extensive treatment.
    I certainly don't with my mil gets it but I fear it is a manner of time because she is pretty much an idiot who isn't understanding the risk.
    Thanks. She's managed at home so far, so we're hoping that continues. Just fever, sweats, aches...no respiratory symptoms, fortunately. 
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    cutz said:
    he should get at least 60 days for his swim trunks alone.  last thing anyone wants to do is wrestle down a fit old crazy man wearing neon pink Johnson huggers.  that's hazard pay
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,071
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,059
    edited April 2020
    23scidoo said:

What do you mean "money over humans" ?

You can't stop the care of the elders. And there is a severe lack of protective gear the world over.

The Public Health Agency does not have money as a metric unless it is a factor affecting public health - and politicians follow the Pubich Health Agency in Sweden.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Norway is opening up - stores open, kids go back to school. Hopefully it goes well.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,582
    Lack of leadership is a huge problem as told here:

"These problems might be surmountable. The U.S. is still a scientific and biomedical powerhouse. To marshal that power, it needs a massive, coordinated, government-led initiative to find the cleverest ways of controlling COVID-19—a modern-day Apollo program. No such program is afoot. Former Trump- and Obama-era officials have published detailed plans. Elizabeth Warren is on her third iteration. But the White House either has no strategy or has chosen not to disclose it.

Without a unifying vision, governors and mayors have been forced to handle the pandemic themselves. Ludicrously, states are bidding against one another—and the federal government—for precious supplies. Six states still haven’t issued any kind of stay-at-home order, while those that moved late, such as Florida, may have seeded infections in the rest of the country. “A patchwork approach to fighting a pandemic is very dangerous,” said Jeremy Konyndyk of the Center for Global Development. “It’s a recipe for a response that’s less than the sum of its parts.” While several states have created their own coordinated groups, Konyndyk’s worry, shared by others, is that there are limits to what even the most capable state leaders can do without federal coordination. “We almost need to devise a public-health government in exile which can take on the responsibility of national coordination,” said Osterholm, the University of Minnesota epidemiologist.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/pandemic-summer-coronavirus-reopening-back-normal/609940/

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Fighting for that Swedish freedom, like democratic primary voters should have

• guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    I think it's to early to just reopen yet.. But I can't wait for this to happen.. I just want it to be over but be as safe as it can be and at this moment it's not safe enough.. On that note stay safe everyone.. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    Fighting for that Swedish freedom, like democratic primary voters should have

Not all heroes wear capes if I was there I’d be standing 6’ from him in unity as for that vile idiot that passes for a woman is a creep all of this is the Baffoons fault !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    bbiggs said:
    If you know of a bar that only charges double please let me know!
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    cutz said:
    Did anyone ask him what sort of person sells 150 units to a single customer?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    The CEO of this hospital sent out an email that on the week of the 24th of May every employee will receive a check for $2400 and i week of paid PTO , pretty classy I’d say this hospital is not a state run hospital...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
This discussion has been closed.